The Following - so far, so good?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    high pivot witchcraft
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,917

    The Following - so far, so good?

    Thinking SERIOUSLY of pulling the pin asap on an X01 build kit The Following. I appreciate it's early in the game, but has this bike been relatively problem-free so far?

    I have to drop a fair chunk of change on it because I'm from Canada, and the Canadian dollar is currently in the toilet.

    I'm aware of past issues with different Evil bikes. Just wondering if it looks like the reliability/durability thing has turned around for them.

    Very very interested, but still a wee bit nervous.

    Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tenacious Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    561
    For the most part, yes all good. I'm aware of 3 problems with rear ends causing issues, one through contacts in the UK, one that was reported on here a while back, and one I heard through the grapevine. Doesn't seem to be major issue considering the quantity sold. While I wouldn't say they have done enough to put any doubts out of mind now, for the most part things are looking solid. Mine has been all good!

  3. #3
    high pivot witchcraft
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious Doug View Post
    For the most part, yes all good. I'm aware of 3 issues with rear ends causing issues, one through contacts in the UK, one that was reported on here a while back, and one I heard through the grapevine. Doesn't seem to be major issue considering the quantity sold. While I wouldn't say they have done enough to put any doubts out of mind now, for the most part things are looking solid. Mine has been all good!
    Thank you. Much appreciated. The The Following sounds like the perfect bike to complement my other bikes.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jazzanova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Thank you. Much appreciated. The The Following sounds like the perfect bike to complement my other bikes.
    Which other bikes do you have?

  5. #5
    high pivot witchcraft
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,917
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Which other bikes do you have?
    My go to trail bike is a completely rebuilt 2015 Norco Range C2 (27.5 lbs). My back up trail bike is a 2006 Scott Ransom LTD (still functioning 100%). I also have a Kona Operator, a winter bike (a Kona hardtail) and a C-Dale cross bike.

    My Range is awesome but perhaps a little burly for the fast, buff, bermy stuff I often blast.

    The Following - so far, so good?-img_6758.jpg

    The Following - so far, so good?-img_1203.jpg
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 08-21-2015 at 08:24 PM.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manitou2200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,029

    The Following - so far, so good?

    I spoke with Jaydn at Fanatik Bike a few weeks ago and the Following is their best selling bike ever and when we spoke they had sold 130-140 Followings since the beginning of the year. I asked him how many returns they had had and he said one, I don't remember what the issue was but I think he said it was a cosmetic flaw in the paint. They have seen no trends of problems or poor quality in the manufacture of the frames.
    Last edited by manitou2200; 08-22-2015 at 01:20 AM.
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    54
    One thing to add. My Following is on a truck, heading my way from Fanatik. While they were building it up they found that the adhesive that was meant to hold one of the cable guides inside the swing arm had given away. They quickly got a new swing arm from Evil, and finished the build. Spooked me a little, but they said they have seen this a couple times, and it's a very minor issue, nothing to worry about wrt the integrity of the frame.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,965
    I had the same issue on my Following. It was purely cosmetic, but they sent me a new rear triangle...no questions asked.

  9. #9
    high pivot witchcraft
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenbaby View Post
    One thing to add. My Following is on a truck, heading my way from Fanatik. While they were building it up they found that the adhesive that was meant to hold one of the cable guides inside the swing arm had given away. They quickly got a new swing arm from Evil, and finished the build. Spooked me a little, but they said they have seen this a couple times, and it's a very minor issue, nothing to worry about wrt the integrity of the frame.
    I wonder whether I should order it from Fanatik instead of directly from the Evil headquarters... Hmmm...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,965
    I'd deal with Jadyn at Fanatik. He's great.

    Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manitou2200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I had the same issue on my Following. It was purely cosmetic, but they sent me a new rear triangle...no questions asked.
    Colin, You had one from the first production run correct?
    The things that I'm seeing that impress me are the running changes Evil is making in the production runs. They are quickly addressing issues like the loose and rattling internal cable guides at the DT & BB, the rear axle and others I'm sure.
    My bike's been great but I found and corrected the internal guide issue when I was building it and then replaced my axle with the Ibis Hexle.
    I had a XX1 crank set on my Following with the SRAM BB. I did not like the fit of the BB into the Following and I could not torque the crank bolt to the spec, if I tried to it would bind and not spin freely. I needed a new 1x crank on another bike that has a SRAM threaded BB so I'm using the XX1 on that bike. I installed the Next SL crank and BB on my Following and I really like the BB fit and the cranks. Full torque on the crank bolt super smooth spinning and 130 grams lighter than the XX1.
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,965
    I had one of the first ones. I really liked the RF BB as well, spins very nicely.

    Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I'd deal with Jadyn at Fanatik. He's great.
    +1

    It's also really nice to be able to be able to precisely pick just about every component with the custom configurator: Evil The Following Custom Configurator - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham WA

    If you want to see how some of your choices will actually look on your Following, click the Evil link in the build gallery: Fanatik Bike Co. - Build Gallery | A Collection of the Finest Mountain Bikes on the Planet

    The "Ship 'n Ride Business" option is pretty sweet. When mine arrives on Tuesday at work, I'll pull it out of the box and head straight for the trails.

  14. #14
    high pivot witchcraft
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenbaby View Post
    +1

    It's also really nice to be able to be able to precisely pick just about every component with the custom configurator: Evil The Following Custom Configurator - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham WA

    If you want to see how some of your choices will actually look on your Following, click the Evil link in the build gallery: Fanatik Bike Co. - Build Gallery | A Collection of the Finest Mountain Bikes on the Planet

    The "Ship 'n Ride Business" option is pretty sweet. When mine arrives on Tuesday at work, I'll pull it out of the box and head straight for the trails.
    Wow. Thanks for the links. Those are both totally awesome.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manitou2200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,029

    The Following - so far, so good?

    It's way more fun to pick out all the components and then build your bike, then ride it and test it and tweak it right out your back door on trails you built. Bike building is zen riding! Plus then you know everything is tip top!
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

  16. #16
    high pivot witchcraft
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,917
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    It's way more fun to pick out all the components and then build your bike, then ride it and test it and tweak it right out your back door on trails you built. Bike building is zen riding! Plus then you know everything is tip top!
    Ideally. But I work, among many other things. Any spare time I have I'd rather be ridin than wrenchin. I unfortunately don't have time for both. I know exactly what I want though and that whole Fanatic website with the links has ripped this wide open. I think I will be going that route. I just need to figure out how to get it as they won't ship to Canada. Maybe a road trip is in order.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manitou2200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,029

    The Following - so far, so good?

    Yeah, I work also, I'm pretty sure we all have to work especially to afford our habits, like biking, skiing and many other things. Building bikes is pretty damn simple and doing your own work will free your time because you won't be waiting for a shop to schedule you in. I run my own businesses and I make time to do my own work because I like it and I know it's done right. I don't know your situation but if you're a good rider you need to do your own work unless maybe you're sponsored.
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colin+M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,965
    I learned to wrench mainly because I was too impatient to wait on someone else to do it for me.

    Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    high pivot witchcraft
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,917
    I have a good deal going on. My LBS doesn't charge me labour. I get minimum 25 points off parts (and anything else). And I jump the cue for anything I need. I can walk in unscheduled for any adjustment, replacement or repair for any of my bikes (or my daughter's), and 1 of the 3 top mechanics look after me, within 3 minutes. I am 100% loyal to my LBS, I have spent a lot of money there and over the years, I have come to know the owners really well. Its a quid pro quo situation. I am actually going to find out tomorrow if I can buy the Following through them. I am assuming not, which is why I am leaning towards Fanatik. I will be up front with them about it though.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manitou2200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,029
    Sounds like you've got it figured out! Good on ya! Support your LBS!
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

  21. #21
    high pivot witchcraft
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,917
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Sounds like you've got it figured out! Good on ya! Support your LBS!
    I hope I didn't sound like an ass saying that, but that truly is how it is. Plus I am pretty brutal when it comes to anything mechanical.

    Anyway, back on topic, I am going to see what is up with The Following with my LBS tomorrow, and then make a decision.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manitou2200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,029

    The Following - so far, so good?

    Nope. Fanatic is great but if you an give the biz to your LBS all the better!
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I have a good deal going on. My LBS doesn't charge me labour. I get minimum 25 points off parts (and anything else). And I jump the cue for anything I need. I can walk in unscheduled for any adjustment, replacement or repair for any of my bikes (or my daughter's), and 1 of the 3 top mechanics look after me, within 3 minutes. I am 100% loyal to my LBS, I have spent a lot of money there and over the years, I have come to know the owners really well. Its a quid pro quo situation. I am actually going to find out tomorrow if I can buy the Following through them. I am assuming not, which is why I am leaning towards Fanatik. I will be up front with them about it though.
    I have a great relationship with my LBS, I ordered the frame directly from Evil and had my shop shop build it up for me.

  24. #24
    high pivot witchcraft
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,917
    Quote Originally Posted by pking View Post
    I have a great relationship with my LBS, I ordered the frame directly from Evil and had my shop shop build it up for me.
    Perfect. WTF was I thinking? I was going to see if I could go through them and have them order a built bike from Evil for me. That doesn't even make sense. Wow.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    296
    nearly 500 miles and I had an issue, yesterday. went over a smooth roller jump, smooth landing and heard a pop!
    the top shock bolt snapped on the drive side. a new one is on the way from Evil as well as the updated axle. they said the early bikes had alloy bolts and had some break. now they have steel.
    it broke right at the start of the threads, and i was able to get the threaded part out by hand using the broken bolt.

    other than that, the bike has been perfect, and i would have no problem buying another evil bike.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 54
    Last Post: 06-07-2014, 06:24 PM
  2. looking for good bang/buck ratio and quality. whats good?
    By car bone in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 04:01 PM
  3. delete
    By actin in forum Urban/DJ/Park
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2013, 02:54 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2012, 09:06 AM
  5. 1988 Solo MTB Adventure, Australia... Good times, good memories
    By digitalhippie13 in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 09:37 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.