Following plus what ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Following plus what ?

Curious what other Following owners owned/rode besides their Following?
    Since I got the Following my Kona Process 153 just sits. I like having a second bike, but would like to have something that I prefer to ride at times... just haven't found anything else that I would ever ride over the Following.

mtbr member
    The Following is so good at everything, but when I bought mine I sold my Canfield Riot and kept my Giant Anthem. I like have a really lightweight (23.5 lbs) XC bike in addition to the Following and the Riot was very similar to the Following only a little more on the burly side (in fact I swapped all of the parts from the Riot to the Following).
    Evil Following
    Intense Carbine 275
    Giant Anthem Advanced
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Tarmac SL4
    Ducati M1100s
    KTM 350 XCF-W

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Get a Steel hardtail...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've got a Canfield EPO. Honestly been riding that a ton more than the Following since purchasing it. The Following just eats up technical stuff while the EPO is a pedalling playful beast that can still do some chunk.

mtbr member
    I guess it depends which side of the Following's (very ample) use spectrum you want. The Following is a bit too much bike to be a viable XC race bike, and it's a bit too little to be an ideal DH/Park bike or Enduro racer on gnarlier tracks. So do you want your second bike to be more or less bike than a Following? Personally I think the Following is more fun than any of the 150-160mm 650B bikes I've owned (Bronson, Nomad, HD3).

So for "less bike" something like an EPO or even a Scalpel/Epic XC race bike could be fun, if that's your bag.

For "more bike", the obvious answer is a Wreckoning. Something in the "baby DH bike" niche like a YT Capra could also fit the bill....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    I guess it depends which side of the Following's (very ample) use spectrum you want. The Following is a bit too much bike to be a viable XC race bike, and it's a bit too little to be an ideal DH/Park bike or Enduro racer on gnarlier tracks. So do you want your second bike to be more or less bike than a Following? Personally I think the Following is more fun than any of the 150-160mm 650B bikes I've owned (Bronson, Nomad, HD3).

So for "less bike" something like an EPO or even a Scalpel/Epic XC race bike could be fun, if that's your bag.

For "more bike", the obvious answer is a Wreckoning. Something in the "baby DH bike" niche like a YT Capra could also fit the bill....
    After nearly a year on the following, i agree with pretty much all of DrewBird's summary although i'm off with it to spain first thing tomorrow for some pretty hairy long descents in some steep climbs back up. All of which its done quite capably 3 times before. My heads been turned by the wreckoning and i will have a test ride, but i've only got space for one bike and i cant see it doing everything as well as the following does.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

At first I thought I wanted a more capable DH bike... that was before I really pushed the Following, and I can honestly say this bike can handle anything DH I want to throw at it (at least so far). I was considering a new Bronson or Mach 6, but did demo days in Brevard this past wknd on a new Bronson, and was missing the Following the whole time. Also demo'd the new Hightower. Nice ride and comparable to Following but still like the Evil lil better. Thinking now about something super light.. more XC oriented. Good replies..thanks.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by ledude View Post
    Get a Steel hardtail...
    x2

A trail/AM steel hardtail is a wonderful addition to an aggressive trail bike. Especially if you get one (say, the new Ragley Big Wig) that will clear 29x2.5 and 27.5x3.0 and is a 12x142 rear end, so you can swap wheelsets with your Following.

Spend the offseason riding your steel HT and suddenly chunky trails will become much, much easier once you get back on your Following.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    At first I thought I wanted a more capable DH bike... that was before I really pushed the Following, and I can honestly say this bike can handle anything DH I want to throw at it (at least so far). I was considering a new Bronson or Mach 6, but did demo days in Brevard this past wknd on a new Bronson, and was missing the Following the whole time. Also demo'd the new Hightower. Nice ride and comparable to Following but still like the Evil lil better. Thinking now about something super light.. more XC oriented. Good replies..thanks.
    In my experience the Following has too much overlap with the crop of ~150mm 650b bikes to justify owning both. I feel more confident riding steeps on the Following than I did on a Mach6, Nomad, HD3, or Bronson. I still had the HD3 when I got my Following, and I just didn't touch it any more. So I'd skip those.

Hightower seems like a near Following clone, with a less-fun suspension system (never loved VPP despite owning several).

I do find the + tires thing interesting. A light hardtail that could fit 650bx3" tires would be cool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    In my experience the Following has too much overlap with the crop of ~150mm 650b bikes to justify owning both. I feel more confident riding steeps on the Following than I did on a Mach6, Nomad, HD3, or Bronson. I still had the HD3 when I got my Following, and I just didn't touch it any more. So I'd skip those.

Hightower seems like a near Following clone, with a less-fun suspension system (never loved VPP despite owning several).

I do find the + tires thing interesting. A light hardtail that could fit 650bx3" tires would be cool.
    Evil Following
    Steel Chumba 27.5+2.8 Hardtail
    Niner Air 9 RDO

Feel like I have all my bases covered. I second the hardtail... I find myself riding my steel single speed hardtail equal to my Following. It's nice to have options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I was lookin at mistresses just the other day actually..
    Evils "Chamios davis Jr. looks cool.
    I think something like that would be a good 2nd bike with no overlap.
    I ride on wounds that seldom prove to slow me down..

mtbr member
    As a former Following owner and current Canfield EPO owner, I'd say that the EPO is the HT equivalent of the Following. Very similar feel that encourages bad behavior.

With the Wreckoning and Insurgent both rocking threaded BB's, I wonder if the Following will eventually have the same?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    just have 2 setups for the following:

+a light 120mm fork (DT OPM is rad) plus light i25mm wheels and fast tires (Ikon)
    +a 140mm fork, 27-30mm stout wheels, and real tires (DHF/DHR)

call it a day.

mtbr member
    Following and Enduro 29.

mtbr member

Following plus what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle1983 View Post
    I've got a Canfield EPO. Honestly been riding that a ton more than the Following since purchasing it. The Following just eats up technical stuff while the EPO is a pedalling playful beast that can still do some chunk.
    I've been seriously contemplating this combo. I'd love an EPO and I'd probably set it up with my RS-1 120 as a more playful endurance type bike. If I sell another bike I have that I'm not riding at all now I'll go this route.
    I also have a FTW rigid steel 29+ bike that's mainly a touring rig. It's a versatile bike and a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post

+a light 120mm fork (DT OPM is rad) plus light i25mm wheels and fast tires (Ikon)

call it a day.
    I actually do this now with an RS-1, MRP Stage, wheels and tires. I also did this with my Spider 29 and another Pivot I had. This works very well with one bike like the Following.
    I may sell my Spider 29 that I haven't ridden in the last year since owing my Following. Then I'll buy an EPO.
    The Wreckoning would be a fun bike to ride but I don't think it'd get much saddle time with me and they don't make it in a small.
    The Following is just really sooo capable, especially if you're a good pilot.
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post

call it a day.
    Hmmm... looks I'm right in between..
    130mm Fox 32..Nox Farlow carbon rims.. DHF/DHR

mtbr member
    Following, EPO, and crossbike

mtbr member

Following plus what ?

Quote Originally Posted by g.law View Post
    Following, EPO, and crossbike
    Ditto. I love my EPO as much as my Following. Can't go wrong with the EPO. The EPO fits plus tires too. So I have a plus set of wheels for my EPO and then share my Carbon 29er hoops between my EPO and my Following.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Following plus what ?-image1-1-.jpg

Following plus what ?-sandy-3.jpg

I'm loving this combo. If I lived closer to a lift served bike park (looking at you, Timberline) then I might justify getting a DH bike.

The plus size tires and wide rims make the Yelli that much better, takes the edge off the trail and helps my old back. Plus, can't make these 2.8 NN's break loose, they just stick, hold and track like they are on rails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxsteve View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1 (1).jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	396.6 KB 
ID:	1061187

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sandy 3.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	265.2 KB 
ID:	1061188

I'm loving this combo. If I lived closer to a lift served bike park (looking at you, Timberline) then I might justify getting a DH bike.

The plus size tires and wide rims make the Yelli that much better, takes the edge off the trail and helps my old back. Plus, can't make these 2.8 NN's break loose, they just stick, hold and track like they are on rails.
    It'd be hard to complain about any bike that was free.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    It'd be hard to complain about any bike that was free.
    Fair enough. I don't think he going to get it back anytime soon. It's hard not to show it off because it's so sweet. I am 650+ positive!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxsteve View Post
    Fair enough. I don't think he going to get it back anytime soon. It's hard not to show it off because it's so sweet. I am 650+ positive!
    Yeah, just giving you shit. Seems like you might have perfect stable.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    I think the Following is too versatile to own any of the trying to do everything 650b 150mm bikes out there. So I think complimenting the following with a mini DH165mm rear/160 or 170mm front bike like the Canfield Balance Canfield Brothers 2016 Balance All Mountain Mountain Bike could be a good choice. I love the Wreckoning but I think of it as more of a straight line bulldozer, I think the Balance is more fun.

mtbr member
    I'll +1 for this idea, unless of course you do any park/big jump riding, then maybe a dedicated FR/DH rig. Me personally, I don't do the big stuff, so a nice, slacker HT with PLUS tyres is an ideal compliment to my Phantom, without the B+ setup, it would not get ridden much, but with them, just takes the edge off nicely and is perfect for those "lesser" days or days when I want more challenge or shorter rides.

Quote Originally Posted by ledude View Post
    Get a Steel hardtail...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What full sus are you riding now Colin. How does the EPO ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by olibluegoat View Post
    What full sus are you riding now Colin. How does the EPO ride?
    The EPO is it right now. It's surprisingly capable on everything I rode the Following and Riot on. Admittedly, my trails are fairly tame.

The EPO is awesome.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sounds superb Love to give one a go.
    Abolutley loving my Following though - it just keeps getting better every time i ride it. Just about to pull the trigger on a Stanton Switchback as my hardtail

mtbr member
    I've heard nothing but good things about the Stanton.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    What about the Ripley OG? I own a Ripley OG with full XC set up, and I'm also Following curious. I think the Ripley OG with 120 fork along side a Following with 140 fork could compliment each other well in Midwestern trails. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    As a former Following owner, I must say that this decision depends ENTIRELY on where you live. For a lot of folks around the country, the Following and another slacker 150-160mm beast will not handle meaningfully differently on most trails, and the 150-160 bike will feel sluggish on most terrain. For me, and where I live and ride, the Following was not enough bike. Wreckonings are a more common sight around here nowadays.

If I had all the money in the world, I'd likely have kept my Following for XC/trail, picked up a burly bike (like my Warden Carbon that I'm building currently), and kept my DH bike too. Now, I'm thinking about picking up a Chromag 29er to meet my XC and winter riding needs, while I keep my Warden Carbon and DH bike for most of my in-season riding.

LCW
    mtbr member
    I have a Following, but would like to add a Wreckoning... then I'd be covered.

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My main bike is a trail bike (right now a Calling), and almost always have a second lighter Steel hardtail to complete it. I've had over the years a chromag stylus, and aperture, a cotic BFe, to go along a Giant AC, then a specialized SX Trail, then a Remedy, then a Megatrail, then the Calling.

Can't explain why, I've just done it for a while. Steel hardtail are fun, climb well, with the right geometry, they go down well, and rigid (duh !) enough to bring on a pump track and some dirt jumps.

So my vote on a fun little hardtail, I wouldn't go 650b+/29er but 650b, to have two very different bikes for different purposes. I'd be a more careful than last time for the next one. The Cotic BFe is a stiff piece of bike ! Not really the steel feel I like.

And then there is the DH bike, but that's another story IMO, and quite independent.
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver, ig; lazoup

Knight 650b wheelset FS

I Like bikes, I really do

mtbr member
    I ride a Canfield Nimble 9, in addition to my Following. Perfect combination.

Members who have read this thread: 5