Following and Oval chainrings- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Following and Oval chainrings

Hi,

Just built up a following with an m8000 XT group and need to adjust the chain line. Thought I'd give an oval chainring a go at the same time so has anyone tried a 32 or 34 oval on a following? Any chain stay clearance issues?

Thanks

mtbr member
    The most modern sports physio research on the rings, in short know your slow/fast twitch muscle ratio: "Effects of chainring design on performance in competitive cyclists" by Christiane Rose O'Hara

An oval 32t is going to be close to pushing a a 34t at the power phase, which is bigger than what most people push. If you're on a symmetrical 30t ring now, I suggest going with a 28t oval.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm running a 34t with a 1x10 11/36 at the moment. I was going to try a 32 oval.

Really just asking about clearance against the chain stays as Evil quote a 34 as max and I'm assuming a 32 oval may go larger than a 34 circular at some points of rotation?

Anyone tried a 32 oval?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beardo70s View Post
    I'm running a 34t with a 1x10 11/36 at the moment. I was going to try a 32 oval.

Really just asking about clearance against the chain stays as Evil quote a 34 as max and I'm assuming a 32 oval may go larger than a 34 circular at some points of rotation?

Anyone tried a 32 oval?
    I've been running an Absolute Black 32 oval chainring on Next SL cranks and a SRAM 1x11 set up for the last 4 months. no problems.

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by madamfunk View Post

An oval 32t is going to be close to pushing a a 34t at the power phase, which is bigger than what most people push. If you're on a symmetrical 30t ring now, I suggest going with a 28t oval.
    Read this, I believe they are saying the opposite of what you are saying. I personally went with a 34t to get a similar feel to the 32t that I was running.
    Scroll down to (what size should I choose)
    absoluteBLACK | OVAL 104 / 64BCD Traction Chainring

mtbr member
    Are all of the oval ring manufacturers equal in the amount of oval-ness?

Lazy Overachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Are all of the oval ring manufacturers equal in the amount of oval-ness?
    No. For instance, Doval makes at least 3 different ratios themselves.

They all seem to have their own variations of " oval-ness" as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I started with a 30 round on my Next SL cranks with XX1. Switched over to an Absolute Black 32 a few months ago and its been perfect since installation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post
    Read this, I believe they are saying the opposite of what you are saying. I personally went with a 34t to get a similar feel to the 32t that I was running.
    Scroll down to (what size should I choose)
    absoluteBLACK | OVAL 104 / 64BCD Traction Chainring
    If you want it to feel the same as a 32, you should get a 32. The overall gear ratio is the same.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Im running a Absolute Black 34T Oval, i tried a 32T oval, but it didnt clear the chainstay on older XTR cranks, due to the offset spacing so the chain clears the crank tabs, but the 34T Oval fits, with clearance and ill def be keeping it in that ratio.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    If you want it to feel the same as a 32, you should get a 32. The overall gear ratio is the same.
    I wonder why AB doesn't make a 30 tooth? It seems like a sweet spot for my part of the world. Seems like the 26 would be more of an oddball than the 30.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    AB does make a 30 tooth for direct mount spiderless GXP cranks. I have one
    on my Following.
    Probably not in a standard ring because the oval might be too small
    for a standard crank.
    Last edited by SactoSport; 01-25-2016 at 11:09 PM. Reason: addition

Robertson
    This is on a Following? 34t oval fits?

craigsj
    Quote Originally Posted by madamfunk View Post
    Some rare, sane advice on oval rings here. You want to match tooth counts during the power phase and that means downsizing the ring overall. Instead, people want to believe that oval rings give them free power so they upsize. That's wrong. The value in an oval for trail riding, if there is one, is getting through the dead spot more quickly. That means a smaller ring that's ovalized to preserve the power phase.

Also relevant to The Following is that upsizing an oval ring does double damage to the anti-squat performance of the suspension.

Of course the best advice for oval rings is not to bother. They're a placebo. Never listen to what the AB guy says in any event.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ok thanks guys, I'll try a 32 oval I think.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Large Evil Flowing.. Next sl cranks
    I too was skeptical, 5 months later , never going back to round.
    I was getting stronger on my 32 round and was mostly climbing hard stuff in 2nd.
    I was shopping for a 34t round to get better top end , then stumbled upon the oval ,the advice i followed was that a 32 oval would give me top end of a 34 and power of a 32 in granny.
    Placebo ?? I dont think so , speaking for myself and my buddy on his giant trance , been flying up the same hills with incredible speed and power even standing up seems more balanced . My knees feel less stress after a ride and thats made me a believer.
    Now i am back to using 1st gear on hard stuff but the feeling is less stressful on my legs and i still got the top end i wanted.
    Also a bonus that the offset gave me more clearance at the chainstay and chainring teeth where the chrome piece sits.
    The oval did feel " strange " at first , seriously like 5 minutes then never thought about it again.
    My brand new wolfstooth 32 round has been collecting dust ever since. Oval riders on the following will be happy , stay with same size you ride now in round. Imo

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by EVIL7l/\3 View Post
    Large Evil Flowing.. Next sl cranks
    I too was skeptical, 5 months later , never going back to round.
    I was getting stronger on my 32 round and was mostly climbing hard stuff in 2nd.
    I was shopping for a 34t round to get better top end , then stumbled upon the oval ,the advice i followed was that a 32 oval would give me top end of a 34 and power of a 32 in granny.
    Placebo ?? I dont think so , speaking for myself and my buddy on his giant trance , been flying up the same hills with incredible speed and power even standing up seems more balanced . My knees feel less stress after a ride and thats made me a believer.
    Now i am back to using 1st gear on hard stuff but the feeling is less stressful on my legs and i still got the top end i wanted.
    Also a bonus that the offset gave me more clearance at the chainstay and chainring teeth where the chrome piece sits.
    The oval did feel " strange " at first , seriously like 5 minutes then never thought about it again.
    My brand new wolfstooth 32 round has been collecting dust ever since. Oval riders on the following will be happy , stay with same size you ride now in round. Imo

I'm not sure if something is lost in translation but I'm not sure whoever gave you the advice of "a 32 oval would give me top end of a 34 and power of a 32 in granny" fully understands how an oval works or the purpose of them.

A 32 oval has the exact same granny gear ratio and same top end gear ratio as a round 32 ring. The benefit of oval is that DURING YOUR PEDAL STROKE, the gear ratio increases while you are in the more powerful part of your stroke but it also decreases during the weak part of your stroke. However, when pedaling at a given cadence, you will be at the exact same speed. It might be easier to go faster up a hill due to the effects of an oval, but it isn't because of a change in gear ratio.

In your top gear at 90rpm, you will be going the exact same speed with both setups. The same can be said about grinding up a steep hill at 60rpm in your easiest gear.

craigsj
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I'm not sure if something is lost in translation but I'm not sure whoever gave you the advice of "a 32 oval would give me top end of a 34 and power of a 32 in granny" fully understands how an oval works or the purpose of them.

A 32 oval has the exact same granny gear ratio and same top end gear ratio as a round 32 ring. The benefit of oval is that DURING YOUR PEDAL STROKE, the gear ratio increases while you are in the more powerful part of your stroke but it also decreases during the weak part of your stroke. However, when pedaling at a given cadence, you will be at the exact same speed. It might be easier to go faster up a hill due to the effects of an oval, but it isn't because of a change in gear ratio.

In your top gear at 90rpm, you will be going the exact same speed with both setups. The same can be said about grinding up a steep hill at 60rpm in your easiest gear.
    This is true, and I'd add in addition that an oval ring lowers your maximum cadence so your maximum speed is actually a little lower than on a round of the same tooth count. It's minor, of course, but it's minor only because the ovality is modest. Try a more oval ring and you'll see its not minor at all.

I once believed in oval rings and rode them for years. Then on one of my projects I decided to have custom ovals made of 10, 20, and 30%. It really opened my eyes as to how they work (and don't) and it made it clear to me that ovals are readily accepted only because the ovality is limited. It became clear at that point that 0% ovality is optimal, and as others have said, I'll "never go back".

The biomechanics are complicated, but ultimately your body adapts to what it wants the pedal stroke to be and it will quickly undo changes in the stroke caused by an oval ring provided they aren't too great. That's why those rings are a placebo, the best that can be said is they don't do harm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Maybe I worded that wrong, lol .
    I didn't mean to imply that an oval ring would make you go faster and Im not sure about the different ratios ..
    It has more to do with fatigue and the way it made my legs feel.
    That feeling of being completely out of gas came later and my knees felt less tortured when the ride was done. I ride the same trail 3-4 times a week ,its a steep 6mi. climb . "For Me" the changes were very noticeable from one ride to the next . Makes sense to me that having less fatigue right away transfers to more power output to the cranks and for longer periods or less effort to pedal a given rpm. something like that.. lol

Its been great for my 40 year old knees for sure and nobody can argue against that.
    Just here to share my experience..
    I ride on wounds that seldom prove to slow me down..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Maybe I worded that wrong, lol .
    I didn't mean to imply that an oval ring would make you go faster and Im not sure about the different ratios ..
    It has more to do with fatigue and the way it made my legs feel.
    That feeling of being completely out of gas came later and my knees felt less tortured when the ride was done. I ride the same trail 3-4 times a week ,its a steep 6mi. climb . "For Me" the changes were very noticeable from one ride to the next . Makes sense to me that having less fatigue right away transfers to more power output to the cranks and for longer periods or less effort to pedal a given rpm. something like that.. lol

Its been great for my 40 year old knees for sure and nobody can argue against that.
    Just here to share my experience..
    I'm totally sold on the benefits. My knees hurt less compared to ACHING during winter in previous years and climbs have a lower perceived effort. I was just saying it won't give you a higher top speed or a lower granny gear ratio

craigsj
    That's the great thing about anecdotes, no one can argue against them. Meanwhile, people have tried to prove the benefits for decades in blind testing with no success whatsoever. The only support studies are recent and involve mathematical models.

Expectations can be powerful things. The placebo effect is very real.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsj View Post
    That's the great thing about anecdotes, no one can argue against them. Meanwhile, people have tried to prove the benefits for decades in blind testing with no success whatsoever. The only support studies are recent and involve mathematical models.

Expectations can be powerful things. The placebo effect is very real.
    This is true but given that the last 3 winters I've spent almost every night stretching and rolling out my IT band to fight knee pain and this winter I've had to do that ONCE. We'll see if next winter is the same but I'm staying oval for now

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I was running a AB oval chainring (30) on my M following with RF Turbine DM crank with no issues. I changed to a garbaruk (30 as well) due to a better chain line a few days ago. Again no issues so far.