Following MB Super Deluxe Shock Setup/Manual?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Following MB Super Deluxe Shock Setup/Manual?

So I recently got my new Following MB (custom build from Fanatik) and didn't seem to get anything like a manual for the RockShox Super Deluxe.

Strangely my google-fu is failing me and I can't find anything about setting up that shock that's downloadable (user manual?) outside of the service manual.

Anyone know where I can get setup info for this?

thanks

mtbr member
    what exactly are you looking for?

recommended PSI?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    For guys new to DELTA I can say the following V1 was really tricky to nail the PSI, especially around 30% sag. I have found after trying countless sag points/psi, it rides best at right around 26- 27% sag.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    So surprisingly enough my big question was around the lever - what seems like a lockout spins around 360 degrees so it seems like an adjustment I need to figure out as I get into setting the sag.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure the RCT Debonair only has two positions on it's lever. Does it just spin 360 with no notches?

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    There are notches but it doesn't lock into position like my other shocks. Maybe that's my confusion you can spin it either way to switch between the two settings?

mtbr member
    My calling has three disctinct positions but does not rotate 360. It is a different shock though.

I demo'd a V4 Nomad this weekend and it had a RCT shock. The lever did rotate 360 but there was stop at 90 and 180 of that 360 degree rotation. The Nomad has the shock oriented horizontally, similar to the Following and 90 degrees clockwise from the top of the shock (lever perpendicular to the shock) was open and 180 degrees opposite of the lock position was the lock.

This would be the open position:

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Well that makes sense..

This is where a manual would help ;-)

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    The Super deluxe has two lever positions locked and open. I think it spins 360 for ease of being able to switch on the fly. Those shocks have to be cycled as you air them up until you get to desired pressure same as the Debonair on the V1 Following. If you don't cycle the shock you'll wind up with false sag reading and too low pressure.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I got to 30% with around 200 PSI (176 lb geared). Not sure how many rebound clicks.. I did the curb test to set rebound. Basically set the shock to fastest rebound ride of a curb seated and keep descreasing rebound until it stops bobbing as you drop the curb. As for the LSC I like it the best with +1, still cant figure it out though. I assumed more LSC will make the bike ride smoother on really rocky terrain, tried with +2 on super rocky terrain and it seemed to make it rougher for some reason.
    Evil The Following MB 2017
    Canondale Scalpel Team 2015
    Kona Raijin 2014 SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by we78 View Post
    I got to 30% with around 200 PSI (176 lb geared). Not sure how many rebound clicks.. I did the curb test to set rebound. Basically set the shock to fastest rebound ride of a curb seated and keep descreasing rebound until it stops bobbing as you drop the curb. As for the LSC I like it the best with +1, still cant figure it out though. I assumed more LSC will make the bike ride smoother on really rocky terrain, tried with +2 on super rocky terrain and it seemed to make it rougher for some reason.
    It is the opposite. Less compression damping will allow the shock to move more freely. More compression damping will give more support for things like g-outs.

I normally prefer to set and forget a shock but I have taken to changing the compression setting based on the trail will this one. Lockouts are stupid so I just pretend it isn't there.

I agree that a manual and recommended pressure settings would be useful. I wasted a fair amount of time because I didn't know about the equalization.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Just for reference here are my settings:
    Bike Setup
    Base Setting
    175 geared
    Tires: F22R25
    Fork 72 Comp 4 Reb 7 17-20%
    Shock 125 Comp 4 Reb 5 26-28%
    I messed around with running close to zero compression damping but I felt like the shock was really active and was bottoming out too often but it was hard to tell bc it feels bottomless. I feel like on my local trails I shouldn’t be bottoming out the shock and fork and the settings I have now give me 1/8” on shock and 1/4” on the fork

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Small frame size with XO eagle build
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Following MB Super Deluxe Shock Setup/Manual?-834c6f56-b077-47c9-bf93-72365b279f30.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Can people please post settings as an archive for new users. It would be great to get a reference so riders have a starting point.

I just got an MB and need to tinker with settings but would love to see what other people are running.

Thanks
    Evil Insurgent Yeti SB5.5 Evil Wreckoning Pivot Switchblade Pivot Mach 5.5 Yeti SB150

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BoseDuNallyCon View Post
    Just for reference here are my settings:
    Bike Setup
    Base Setting
    175 geared
    Tires: F22R25
    Fork 72 Comp 4 Reb 7 17-20%
    Shock 125 Comp 4 Reb 5 26-28%
    I messed around with running close to zero compression damping but I felt like the shock was really active and was bottoming out too often but it was hard to tell bc it feels bottomless. I feel like on my local trails I shouldn’t be bottoming out the shock and fork and the settings I have now give me 1/8” on shock and 1/4” on the fork
    Did you typo your rear shock pressure? Thinking maybe you meant 225 for that sag.

It's very rocky where I ride, so compliance is important. Take my settings with a grain of salt.

I'm about 195lbs riding weight with a 140mm pike up front.
    Fork - 2 tokens 82-85psi 23-25% sag LSC 0-2 clicks Rebound 5-7 clicks from slowest.
    Shock - Stock tokens 240psi 30% sag LSC 0-2 clicks Rebound 0-2 clicks from slowest.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've only got about 4 rides in but here is where I'm at (160 lb with Gear):

Fork: MRP Ribbon which I haven't been able to dial in as of yet.

Shock: Stock Tokens, 200 psi (~28% sag), LSC at 0-2, Rebound at -4 from Fastest (4/8 clicks on my shock).

I'm using full travel a bit too easily. I don't feel a harsh bottom but I'd like to leave something in reserve for bigger hits as I don't see myself changing pressure for different rides. I may wind up adding a token.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampionSleeper View Post
    I've only got about 4 rides in but here is where I'm at (160 lb with Gear):

Fork: MRP Ribbon which I haven't been able to dial in as of yet.

Shock: Stock Tokens, 200 psi (~28% sag), LSC at 0-2, Rebound at -4 from Fastest (4/8 clicks on my shock).

I'm using full travel a bit too easily. I don't feel a harsh bottom but I'd like to leave something in reserve for bigger hits as I don't see myself changing pressure for different rides. I may wind up adding a token.
    How far is the ring going? Past the "45mm" line? What do you consider a bigger hit?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1078 View Post
    How far is the ring going? Past the "45mm" line? What do you consider a bigger hit?
    The ring is sitting just past the 45mm line but hasn't been driven off the stanchion. I assume that's the bottom, right? On a recent ride, a 3ft drop to flat was enough to use full travel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampionSleeper View Post
    The ring is sitting just past the 45mm line but hasn't been driven off the stanchion. I assume that's the bottom, right? On a recent ride, a 3ft drop to flat was enough to use full travel.
    I just tested my MB off a ~2.5ft drop. I have only about 1-2mm left on the shock, so it lines up with what you're seeing. Time for a token for me as well, because I don't want to run less sag.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I'm riding a medium MB with a rider weight of about 175 (all geared up). Pike 130 up front and stock Superdeluxe in back. I got the bike last Fall toward the end of the season and have about 250 miles on it... feels pretty good. Played around a lot with different presssures (especially the shock). Might not be 100% there, but it's close.

Fork at 47lbs and 10 clicks (from slow) rebound, 2 clicks low speed
    Shock at 208lbs and 4 clicks (from slow) rebound, 2 clicks low speed

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What is the best way to open up the shock to add or remove tokens. Videos that I have seen online indicate to leave the shock bolted to the upper links. However, the clearance on the following does not allow this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bcall8 View Post
    What is the best way to open up the shock to add or remove tokens. Videos that I have seen online indicate to leave the shock bolted to the upper links. However, the clearance on the following does not allow this.
    Pretty sure you have to take the shock completely out of the linkage. Then use a soft vice and wrap the eyelets when you secure the shock to the vice. should be easy at this pont.
    Evil Insurgent Yeti SB5.5 Evil Wreckoning Pivot Switchblade Pivot Mach 5.5 Yeti SB150

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowsed341 View Post
    Pretty sure you have to take the shock completely out of the linkage. Then use a soft vice and wrap the eyelets when you secure the shock to the vice. should be easy at this pont.
    Yup, I had to take the shock off. It was a little awkward as you only have the trunion flats to clamp in the vice. The shock body isn't torqued very high though, so it's not too bad. Be careful as the air sleeve still wants to blow down the body despite every effort I took to empty the air chamber. Just be ready for it as you unscrew the last couple of threads. My shock had two tokens in it stock. Adding one seems to have been enough to prevent regular bottoming on smaller features and drops.

Also if you can find a strap wrench with a relatively thin strap, that would help. Mine just barely fit between the main body and the piggyback and it was kind of a pain to work with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowsed341 View Post
    take the shock completely out of the linkage. Then use a soft vice and wrap the eyelets
    Ah I misread this as "use a soft voice" - which was an amusing mental image of shock tuning...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I’ll have to give it another try. I took the shock off but it was very tight. Didn’t want to budge

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bcall8 View Post
    I’ll have to give it another try. I took the shock off but it was very tight. Didn’t want to budge
    Did you use a strap wrench and a vice? I definitely needed both.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I need to get some soft jaws. I was trying to use my vise with an old inner tube but didn’t want to push it too far.