Following MB Rear Tire Clearance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Following MB Rear Tire Clearance

I love the new bike but am a little disappointed that I am dealing with something on a 2018 frame that was an issue on V1 Ibis Ripleys. I have had the bike for close to 1 month and seem to have my rear tire buzzing my seat tube on 3-4 ft drops. I ride mainly xc. This is a small frame and Evils XO built out kit. I am running it with a 130 mil pike in the X-low setting. 225 psi to 230 gives me 25-28% sag with deluxe rct rear shock. I am close to 175 in rider weight. Let me know what your experience has been (not interested in 27.5 plus). E13 trsr Carbon wheels 30mil inner width with trs tires 2.35 tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Following MB Rear Tire Clearance-a85843d4-8df9-412c-9d42-481861e6091a.jpg  

Following MB Rear Tire Clearance-37b51f6f-acad-4e50-9214-6fc3ecbc0440.jpg  

Following MB Rear Tire Clearance-13931801-42a5-44b3-812c-92962bd35a07.jpg  

Following MB Rear Tire Clearance-e94e8711-7373-4b0a-8afa-ecdc97742e45.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    You expect to get scratches on the seatstay and chainstay bridges but the tire buzz on the seat tub is a bit concerning. I thought they had sorted this out! I wonder if anyone else is getting this?

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I had to a add a third volume spacer and increase the shock pressure to stop this from happening on my MB. I weigh 205lbs and now running 280PSI which still gives around 28% sag.

My rear tyre is Minion DHRII 2.3. The rear tyre on mine isn't as close to the seat tube when the shock is fully deflated compared to yours in the picture but the difference in height of the tyres may account for that?

Mine is an XL frame.

mtbr member
    Dang! That's not good. The main reason I didn't get a V1 Following was the lack of tire clearance for a 2.4" Trail King [same size as a 2.5" DHF]. I thought that was solved on the MB, but the E.13 tires are not as big as a TK.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Does anyone from Evil visit this board? This bike with that exact build, is the bike I planned on getting for next season. I'd like to see this addressed by an official source.

I don't know much about 27+ tires, but a 2.8" will fit in there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I have contacted evil and will let you know an update. I put a lot of time in on research before I bought this bike and I知 frustrated as well that it seems like the spec sheet isn稚 exactly what real world scenario is showing. I知 not concerned as much about the scratches and scuffs on the inside of the stays. Cosmetic as far as I知 concerned. It sucks that I will now be pigeon holed in to running 2.35 maxxis rear with something bigger up front (2.5dhf with aredent race, ikon, or new 2.4 rekon)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoseDuNallyCon View Post
    I have contacted evil and will let you know an update. I put a lot of time in on research before I bought this bike and I知 frustrated as well that it seems like the spec sheet isn稚 exactly what real world scenario is showing. I知 not concerned as much about the scratches and scuffs on the inside of the stays. Cosmetic as far as I知 concerned. It sucks that I will now be pigeon holed in to running 2.35 maxxis rear with something bigger up front (2.5dhf with aredent race, ikon, or new 2.4 rekon)
    I've been running 27.5" 2.8nn's on my MB for about a month and have just switched out to 29" 2.6 NNs for the winter. The NN 2.6s measure 29.5 inch diameter and spot on 2.6" wide when fitted to 35mm (internal) rims. I havent has any problems of rubbing at full compression, but i have been running them in the higher position and havent tried running in low yet because i'm running a 140 pike. I checked in with Evil before buying the NN 2.6s and they hadnt actually tried them on the MB, but suggested that they should fit the MB because they fit the Wreckoning. I'll let you know how i get on once i've tried them in low. Out of interest how wide do the E13 tyres come up and what is the overall diameter, because i had similar discussion with someone running these on a another part of the forum, but he hasnt come back to me with any measurements.

Just checked and I do have a tire contact smudge on the seat tube though not as bad as the picks in the OP. I'm on a large MB, stock volume spacers (2?), running x-low, 140 Fox 36 fork. I'm running a Michelin Wild AM 29x2.35 on a 29mm IW rim.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    So here is the info:
    Right at 29 diameter (imagine that) and 2.35 actual. Between 2.2 and 2.5. Small frame keep in mind. Does this tell us anything? What is this info helpful for?

Quote Originally Posted by BoseDuNallyCon View Post
    So here is the info:
    Right at 29 diameter (imagine that) and 2.35 actual. Between 2.2 and 2.5. Small frame keep in mind. Does this tell us anything? What is this info helpful for?
    Fueling more baked posts on the Evil forum

mtbr member
    only helpful for comparison sake and it痴 also useful to know how specific tyres measure versus quoted figures. Rim width makes a difference to the width and height of tyre too. You池e right its not a like for like comparison, i知 on a medium, with wider rims, so far only ridden in high position,but it seems weird that considerably taller 1/2 inch tyre is not causing this problem. It値l be interesting to hear what evil come back with

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Size Large, no problem with Aggressor 2,3 29" tire on 30mm id rim in Low position. Shock fully compressed

Following MB Rear Tire Clearance-img_3323cs.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Following MB Rear Tire Clearance-img_3323.jpg  

Last edited by dvd31; 10-29-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dvd31 View Post
    Size Large, no problem with Aggressor 2,4 tire on 30mm id rim
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3323cs.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	1164478
    29? Low or X-Low?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    29" in Low

mtbr member
    What does it look like with the shock fully compressed?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Both bikes posted are fully compressed I believe. I am flipping to the 斗ow setting today and seeing if I get more clearance. Still awaiting response from evil sent on Thursday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    this is fully compressed

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Small frame, x-low, 29x2.4 DHRII:

Following MB Rear Tire Clearance-img_4872.jpg

If I turn the seatpost clamp around the other way it buzzes the tire at full compression. That's the way I had it initially, and I was worried it was going to hit the seat tube when I turned it around, but I'd guess that's about 1/4" clearance at end of stroke.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a large MB and was getting some rub with a 2.4 Ardent. Never saw any signs of the rub. The above post makes me think it may have been the seatpost collar. I switched to a DHR-II WT on a 33mm internal rim and have had no issues. I believe this tire is not as tall as the Ardent, though I did not measure. I have been in the low setting all along.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Posted in the main following thread but thought I would put here as well. I知 getting heaps of tyre rub on my post - so much so that I had to stop riding the other day. I知 on a med frame set in xlow with a 140mm Pike and a 2.3 aggressor on a flow rim. Weigh around 163 pounds and am using 190-195 psi in the shock to get 30%. Really like how it rides in xlow so don稚 really want to compromise the ride by putting it in low and running heaps more psi and tokens just to stop the contact. Have spoken to the local suspension shop and they have said they can permanently reduce the shock travel by 5mm down to 115mm to stop the contact and reckon I won稚 be able to even notice the difference. Anyone else done that or have experience with reducing the shock travel?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Following MB Rear Tire Clearance-f6f43794-c348-479a-83a5-d3666152212a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior01 View Post
    Posted in the main following thread but thought I would put here as well. I知 getting heaps of tyre rub on my post - so much so that I had to stop riding the other day. I知 on a med frame set in xlow with a 140mm Pike and a 2.3 aggressor on a flow rim. Weigh around 163 pounds and am using 190-195 psi in the shock to get 30%. Really like how it rides in xlow so don稚 really want to compromise the ride by putting it in low and running heaps more psi and tokens just to stop the contact. Have spoken to the local suspension shop and they have said they can permanently reduce the shock travel by 5mm down to 115mm to stop the contact and reckon I won稚 be able to even notice the difference. Anyone else done that or have experience with reducing the shock travel?
    Your not running enough air pressure in the shock. I run the same tire on Roval 30mm internals and have never hit the seat tube. For your weight I would run 220-225 psi. I am probably 150 ready to ride and run 210. I run a Fox 140 in Xlow too. Evil recommended the pressure and bike rides great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaguy View Post
    Your not running enough air pressure in the shock. I run the same tire on Roval 30mm internals and have never hit the seat tube. For your weight I would run 220-225 psi. I am probably 150 ready to ride and run 210. I run a Fox 140 in Xlow too. Evil recommended the pressure and bike rides great.
    I think from memory you are on a large frame - apparently the issues with seat post contact are predominantly affecting small and medium frames. Nah anywhere above 200psi is definitely not giving me 30%. I tried it at 205psi and the bike definitely didn't feel as good. Have emailed Evil my settings and they said they are in the right ball park. Will keep trying to find a solution.

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think from memory you are on a large frame - apparently the issues with seat post contact are predominantly affecting small and medium frames. Nah anywhere above 200psi is definitely not giving me 30%. I tried it at 205psi and the bike definitely didn't feel as good. Have emailed Evil my settings and they said they are in the right ball park. Will keep trying to find a solution.
    I have had the tyre contacting the seat tube on my XL Following V1, Following MB and Wreckoning if the shock pressure is too low. I increased air pressure and added volume spacers until it no longer happened. Static SAG usually ends up at around 28% and small bump compliance is not as good at the higher pressures but it stops the tyre contacting the frame on drops.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nel View Post
    I have had the tyre contacting the seat tube on my XL Following V1, Following MB and Wreckoning if the shock pressure is too low. I increased air pressure and added volume spacers until it no longer happened. Static SAG usually ends up at around 28% and small bump compliance is not as good at the higher pressures but it stops the tyre contacting the frame on drops.
    Running more or less shock pressure doesn't fix a clearance issue... Sure, if you're bottoming all the time you're gonna rub more, and you can reduce the frequency of rubbing by adding air, but that's just a bandaid. I'm not sure what's going on with these frames, but there's no excuse for tires hitting frames at end of stroke with these tire sizes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jduffett View Post
    I'm not sure what's going on with these frames, but there's no excuse for tires hitting frames at end of stroke with these tire sizes.
    No there is no excuse for that to happen.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm in the market for a new bike next year and the Following MB was on my short list before I noticed this issue. This is definitely not acceptable for a $3k frame!!!

I'll be checking one out if they can fix this issue before I purchase a bike, but definitely will not if this is not resolved before then.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Any rubbing in the higher (Low) mode on size M?

I知 on a med frame set in xlow with a 140mm Pike and a 2.3 aggressor on a flow rim. Weigh around 163 pounds and am using 190-195 psi in the shock to get 30%. Really like how it rides in xlow so don稚 really want to compromise the ride by putting it in low and running heaps more psi and tokens just to stop the contact.
    I'm currently building up a Following MB Medium, weigh about the same as you, will be running a 140mm Pike and 2.3 Aggressor on Flow Mk3 rims.

Given the numbers (and given I haven't ridden the thing yet...) I had intended on running it in the higher mode (Low) first, and see about the lower (X-Low) mode later.

If you have since/previously run it in the higher mode (Low):

1. Would you have a pic of the clearance to compare?
    2. Did you experience any rubbing, or did it happen only in X-Low?

Thanks in advance.

(PS. FFS why couldn't they just call it High/Low!)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Yep completely agree that it is crazy when you are paying this much for a frame that not enough time was put into the design to prevent this frame contact. When contacting Evil they couldn't really provide a reason for it but suggested adding more volume spacers but as jduffett said this is just a bandaid and doesn't fix the issue properly.

jammf - I haven't tried it in low yet but I know of a couple of other people who no longer had contact once they switched to low.

I will be getting the shock travel reducer mod done this week hopefully so that should solve the issue and I will let you know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yep completely agree that it is crazy when you are paying this much for a frame that not enough time was put into the design to prevent this frame contact. When contacting Evil they couldn't really provide a reason for it but suggested adding more volume spacers but as jduffett said this is just a bandaid and doesn't fix the issue properly.
    Yes, it's very surprising to hear - unless the X-Low mode was only ever intended for 27.5+, but it seems plenty of people are running it as a 29er in X-Low and they don't seem to discourage it...

I haven't tried it in low yet but I know of a couple of other people who no longer had contact once they switched to low.

I will be getting the shock travel reducer mod done this week hopefully so that should solve the issue and I will let you know.
    Thanks for that @Excelsior01 and good luck with your mods - hope you find a solution :-/

I'll post my numbers once I have them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Agree..... trying to fit in short chainstays, low standover etc etc and seems they haven't quite nailed the design to exclude this issue

mtbr member
    Weird when I called Evil they said 155ish should be around 215psi. I know I was using all the travel easily with anything less than 200psi and I am 10lbs lighter than you.

I even hooked up the rear shock to a Shockwiz and at 215psi I was right at 30% sag and with the settings I had I got scores in the high 90's. Bike rides great for me. Maybe you have an issue with the shock?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Weird when I called Evil they said 155ish should be around 215psi. I know I was using all the travel easily with anything less than 200psi and I am 10lbs lighter than you.

I even hooked up the rear shock to a Shockwiz and at 215psi I was right at 30% sag and with the settings I had I got scores in the high 90's. Bike rides great for me. Maybe you have an issue with the shock?
    Owned 2 evils and you are supposed to run upwards of 50psi over body weight. This has been documented for years. Tuning the suspension like you have in the past is wrong. The seat contact issue needs to be resolved though.

I am 210 and ran 280psi on my insurgent. Ran 50 over on my wreck also until elevensix.

mtbr member
    Yeah Evil recommends less then 30% sag, they told me 28-29% sag for best performance of the suspension. At my weight of 235 the stock configuration of the shock couldn't even get to 30% with almost 350psi. I added three VRB's to the pos chamber and can now get just below 30% sag at 320psi. I am considering the Fox DPS Evol for this bike. People have said that the Fox shock seems to feel better then the Monarch Debonair. I have no seat post contact on my large V1. Running it in high setting with 140 Diamond fork getting 65.5 head angle.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Following MB Rear Tire Clearance-evil-tire-clearance.jpg

Small MB, x-low with a 140mm Fox 36, 30mm id rim, 29x2.3 Maxxis Aggressor... No clearance issues. Measured seat tube clearance is nearly identical to clearance inside the rear triangle. (i.e., if you're good inside the rear triangle, you're good with the seat tube)

Is it possible that some bikes got sent out with a shock that has bit more travel than intended?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loadnreturn View Post

Name:	Evil Tire Clearance.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	1174446

Small MB, x-low with a 140mm Fox 36, 30mm id rim, 29x2.3 Maxxis Aggressor... No clearance issues. Measured seat tube clearance is nearly identical to clearance inside the rear triangle. (i.e., if you're good inside the rear triangle, you're good with the seat tube)

Is it possible that some bikes got sent out with a shock that has bit more travel than intended?
    If the shock had more travel the seat stay bridge would contact the seat tube, no?
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    If the shock had more travel the seat stay bridge would contact the seat tube, no?
    Good point... that's possible, but it may not be proportional. Just trying to account for the variation that MB owners seem to be experiencing with this. Like I stated, with mine, if I were rubbing the seat tube, I would also be rubbing inside the rear triangle.

Hope this gets figured out soon. Loving my MB, but EVIL doesn't need this kind of issue. Shock pressure is not a fix for a clearance issue, but not all of the bikes seem to have the issue. ??

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Just lurking and playing with the idea of a MB this summer but this is disappointing.

Keep in mind tires expand at speed and frames flex under load. It could be a combination of the two (fast rolling drop/jump) as to why some people are seeing the issue and others are not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Just for info with people on small frames. From evil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Following MB Rear Tire Clearance-82a76aaa-ef8d-4ce3-a108-4afe1a640112.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    FYI, I'm running:

- Following MB, size M, Low (High) setting
    - Flow Mk3 (29mm ID)
    - R: Aggressor 2.3, F: DHF 2.5 WT
    - Pike 140mm

With this setup, the HA comes out at 65.5 degrees, so I don't need to go any more slack than this.

I bottomed out the shock a couple of times during setup on some fast drops, and there was no rear tyre contact whatsoever.

I weigh 70kgs (155lbs), with these pressures:

- 200psi* shock, 18 psi rear
    - 60psi fork, 16psi front.

HTH, j

* incidentally, I know I lose around 10psi on disconnecting the shock pump, so I pump to 210, disconnect (hear a psst), re-connect, and it's at 200.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammf View Post
    * incidentally, I know I lose around 10psi on disconnecting the shock pump, so I pump to 210, disconnect (hear a psst), re-connect, and it's at 200.
    You are not losing any pressure when you disconnect. You are losing pressure when you reconnect and pressurize the hose. Your shock is running at 210psi in the situation above.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    You are not losing any pressure when you disconnect. You are losing pressure when you reconnect and pressurize the hose. Your shock is running at 210psi in the situation above.
    What you describe is definitely more likely now that I think about it... well 210psi it is.

Thanks vikb.

mtbr member
    No pics(yet) but I have a Large FMB and the rear tire has been rubbing the seat tube while in XLow.
    Running a Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 on 30id rims, 225PSI in the shock (36PSI over body weight) with two tokens.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Mi駻coles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Good info! ^ I'll stick with the 2.3 for now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    No pics(yet) but I have a Large FMB and the rear tire has been rubbing the seat tube while in XLow.
    Running a Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 on 30id rims, 225PSI in the shock (36PSI over body weight) with two tokens.
    How is it in Low?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Argh I wish I wouldn't of seen this thread. I was about to order a MB frame tomorrow and this has put me off the purchase. I soo wanted a V1 but with all the flexy back ends and frames cracking I never did get one.

Do you think this is a real issue or only in extreme wide rim, big tyre combos? Do any other manufacture frames suffer the same seat tube tyre buzz at full compression?

This seemed like the perfect bike for me but now I have my doubts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rossp View Post
    How is it in Low?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Didn't have the tire rub in low. Also my buddy is running the 2.3 Aggressor on a Flow rim, he also has his bike in XLow and has not rubbed.

Quote Originally Posted by J273 View Post
    Argh I wish I wouldn't of seen this thread. I was about to order a MB frame tomorrow and this has put me off the purchase. I soo wanted a V1 but with all the flexy back ends and frames cracking I never did get one.

Do you think this is a real issue or only in extreme wide rim, big tyre combos? Do any other manufacture frames suffer the same seat tube tyre buzz at full compression?

This seemed like the perfect bike for me but now I have my doubts.
    I'd say my problem is more related to big tire/ big rim and Xlow combo. Bike is killer and this is a minor issue with a simple solution. Put the bike back in Low mode and ride.

Yea it's a bummer and a major oversight by the manufacturer but the bike is still awesome, just requires some more consideration when choosing tire/rim combos.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    I ran a 2.5 aggressor in xlow with 30mm rims when I had my Mb. No problems with tire rub.

mtbr member
    I ran a 2.5 aggressor in xlow with 30mm rims when I had my Mb. No problems with tire rub.
    Weird, did you running a higher pressure for less sag? more bands?

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Weird, did you running a higher pressure for less sag? more bands?
    145lbs and ran 205-210 stock band setup which was about 30%.

mtbr member
    Removed the valve core and compressed the shock:
    Following MB Rear Tire Clearance-bottom2.jpg

Worn down seat tube:
    Following MB Rear Tire Clearance-tube3.jpg

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Removed the valve core and compressed the shock:

Name:	bottom2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	1196184

Worn down seat tube:

Name:	tube3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	1196185
    In extra low or low?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Dude View Post
    In extra low or low?
    Large FMB XLow. SC Reserve 30 wheels with Maxxis Aggressor 2.5.

Now that I look at the Evil site again it says:
    Maximum Rear Tire Size 29" x 2.4" (Varies By Brand) / 27.5+" x 2.8"

Maxxis tires have always been a little undersized, but looks like the 2.5 is too big for the Evil.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    I have essentially the same set up on a Med FMB - looks to be good clearance on Low, but have not tried X-Low. Has anyone looked at the difference between a 2.5WT Aggressor and 2.4? (long shot but worth a try...)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rossp View Post
    I have essentially the same set up on a Med FMB - looks to be good clearance on Low, but have not tried X-Low. Has anyone looked at the difference between a 2.5WT Aggressor and 2.4? (long shot but worth a try...)
    https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-506-140-aggressor

No 2.4 Aggro but thinking I'll switch to the 2.3 when this 2.5 dies. I've been running the 2.3 Aggressor on my Calling and it does look a lot smaller in volume. For now I'll go back to Low and wear the tread off.

-cabra cadabra