Following MB - New to suspension - How to dial it in?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Following MB - New to suspension - How to dial it in?

My Following MB arrived this weekend. It's my first non-rigid bike so I'm learning about suspension and trying to dial it in. I tried googling this stuff but these details are often left out (or I can't search worth a shit). Here are the parts I'm questioning...

# Volume reducers
    Since I'm going to get familiar with the bike on twisty singletrack with very few drops and jumps, should there be any reason for me to add volume reducers? The bike is used and came with two in a plastic bag so I assume the fork has none in it.

# The fork compression levels (open, pedal, firm)
    It seems as though when the dial reads "firm" in the 12 o'clock position, it's actually in the "open" position (turned all the way counter-clockwise). Is this normal?

# Evil's rear sag meter
    It has a little switch, why? And does the 30 just have to show up "somewhere" on the meter to be accurate? It seems like 30% is always displayed on the very left edge.

# The rear shock locking
    Is the locked position when the lever is to the left or the right? If you look at the shock, the lock symbol is on the left, the unlock symbol is on the right, but there's a left arrow pointing from the unlock symbol (as if it's telling me to move the lever to the left to unlock.

# Rear shock travel
    I had a hell of a time getting the sag to read anything but 40%, despite adding more and more pressure so I switched it to "what I think is" locked. I seemed to be able to get around 25-30% sag when I did that but when I tested the bike on the trail, the O ring almost comes off. I'm doing some VERY light hops and weigh under 200lbs so this feels wrong to me. Thoughts?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by gomid View Post
    My Following MB arrived this weekend. It's my first non-rigid bike so I'm learning about suspension and trying to dial it in. I tried googling this stuff but these details are often left out (or I can't search worth a shit). Here are the parts I'm questioning...

# Volume reducers
    Since I'm going to get familiar with the bike on twisty singletrack with very few drops and jumps, should there be any reason for me to add volume reducers? The bike is used and came with two in a plastic bag so I assume the fork has none in it.

# The fork compression levels (open, pedal, firm)
    It seems as though when the dial reads "firm" in the 12 o'clock position, it's actually in the "open" position (turned all the way counter-clockwise). Is this normal?

# Evil's rear sag meter
    It has a little switch, why? And does the 30 just have to show up "somewhere" on the meter to be accurate? It seems like 30% is always displayed on the very left edge.

# The rear shock locking
    Is the locked position when the lever is to the left or the right? If you look at the shock, the lock symbol is on the left, the unlock symbol is on the right, but there's a left arrow pointing from the unlock symbol (as if it's telling me to move the lever to the left to unlock.

# Rear shock travel
    I had a hell of a time getting the sag to read anything but 40%, despite adding more and more pressure so I switched it to "what I think is" locked. I seemed to be able to get around 25-30% sag when I did that but when I tested the bike on the trail, the O ring almost comes off. I'm doing some VERY light hops and weigh under 200lbs so this feels wrong to me. Thoughts?

Thanks!
    at 200 you need 240-250 in the rear shock. I don't go off sag, I go off owning 3 evils and knowing what works. I am 215 and run 255 right now, 3 VS. If you cant feel the difference on the lockout your rear shock is busted.
    Evil Insurgent Yeti SB5.5 Evil Wreckoning Pivot Switchblade Pivot Mach 5.5 Yeti SB150

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    # Volume reducers
    It's all personal preference, but the front and rear should generally match with regards to feel. The FollowingMB shock comes stock with two reducers installed. That seems to work for most people. It's pretty easy to open up both your shock and fork to see what's in there.

# Evil's rear sag meter
    Evil's can hit ~30% sag with a wide range of pressures. Snowsed's advice of weight + 30psi is a pretty good starting point, but you can go up or down depending on how much support / poppiness vs responsiveness you want. The o-ring on the shock is more reliable than the gimmicky Evil "sag-meter."

# The rear shock locking
    I don't think the direction of movement matters for that compression knob. Point it towards the unlock symbol for open and the locked symbol for climbing. That easy.

# Rear shock travel
    You may be measuring your sag incorrectly? You should always measure it with the shock in "open" mode. You should bounce around on the shock and have someone else slide the o-ring up to get an accurate reading. And then get off the front of the bike so that you don't accidentally slide the o-ring down more when you get off. With 30% sag, I still blow the o-ring off every single ride. I added a 3rd volume reducer to the shock for more bottom out resistance.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Alright, a couple things I found out after messing with it some more... My primary issue was actually with the pump. There are two areas that can unscrew, a dust cap (I assume), and something else that controls pin depth. The one controlling the pin depth was somewhat unscrewed. This prevented the shocks from getting air. Once I tightened it, everything seemed to click. Moving from lockout to open on the rear shock now makes a difference and about 250 PSI is what it took to hit 30% sag.

Next, I get to figure out what works for rebound and LSC!

mtbr member
    On the rear shock (having gone through this myself about 3 weeks ago) - make sure and cycle the shock through itís travel as you add pressure (e.g. add some air, compress the suspension, repeat) - otherwise the reading/sag wonít be correctly set. So if you feel like it was right, and then you were using too much travel that may be the reason (and exactly what I did)...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk