Following MB Max Tire Width, 2.6"?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Following MB Max Tire Width, 2.6"?

Anyone know what the max tire width on the new Following is? Looking at this or a Ripley. cheers,

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Depends on wheel size. They do a great job listing the specs here: https://www.evil-bikes.com/products/following-mb

mtbr member
    On the Evil site the maximum 29 tyre size is listed at 2.4s but this might be a bit conservative as Ryan Palmer at Bike Mag has posted a pic on instagram of the MB hes been riding with Maxxis 29 2.6s

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYPXPpzD...vilfollowingmb

I'm expecting my MB to turn up on monday, but will initially be swapping over my 27.5 40mm rim derby wheels with Nobby Nic 2.8s, but as soon i've got the funds i'll be investing in some 29 hoops, which i'm hoping to get 29 Nobby Nic and Magic Mary both 2.6s on. Wont be a problem at the front but back might be tight and if so i'll go maxxis 2.6s as they seem to come up smaller than schwalbe on these larger volume tyres.

I'll let you know how i get on

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    cool, enjoy the new rig

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Not to nit pick, but I believe Ryan said he was running the 2.6s on his Salsa Redpoint and not the Following.

mtbr member
    Sorry. your absolutely right. A mixture of dyslexia and over excitement about the imminent arrival of a new frame. I've DMd him asking what hes used on MB, the tyres pictured look like 2.5 minions on closer inspection. As i say i'm building mine up around 27.5 2.8s but having ridden 29 2.6s i really hope they fit too

mtbr member
    And Maxxis 2.6's may not actually be 2.6" wide tires.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by teknorob View Post
    Sorry. your absolutely right. A mixture of dyslexia and over excitement about the imminent arrival of a new frame. I've DMd him asking what hes used on MB, the tyres pictured look like 2.5 minions on closer inspection. As i say i'm building mine up around 27.5 2.8s but having ridden 29 2.6s i really hope they fit too
    I am on your side and hope they fit, too. I am also curious and hope you let everyone know whether they do or not.

mtbr member
    Probably not if the HR and Rekon 27.5 2.8s are anything to go by, as the HR comes up 2.7" and the rekon only 2.6" (fitted to 35mm internal measurement rims)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teknorob View Post
    Probably not if the HR and Rekon 27.5 2.8s are anything to go by, as the HR comes up 2.7" and the rekon only 2.6" (fitted to 35mm internal measurement rims)
    Let us know!

Also definitely need to check clearance to the seat tube with the suspension fully compressed. On my V1 following I can fit tires into the rear end that nonetheless contact the frame on hard hits....

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I have ethirteen tires on my following mb and there's plenty of room to spare, unlike my v1. They measured 60mm and zero contact with the seat tube and I'm also in x low.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Are the wheels and tires wide tread or "normal" width? Once I get my following mb I need to decide if I should go with WT or not. Depends if there is clearance for the 2.5" at or not.
    Anybody running a WT set up ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Let us know!

Also definitely need to check clearance to the seat tube with the suspension fully compressed. On my V1 following I can fit tires into the rear end that nonetheless contact the frame on hard hits....
    Hi Mate, sorry ive only just seen your post and i can report NN trailstar 29 2.6's fit on my medium MB, with no issues at full compression. Size-wise they come up at 29.5" diameter and almost spot on 2.6" wide mounted on 35mm (internal rims). I ran them for half a dozen rides, running about 16 psi in front and 17/18 in the back and the grip was great and they rolled well too. I definitley found the MB quicker with 29s compared to 27.5s, but for me just not as much fun so ive actually switched back even though its got very muddy in the last week or so. I've been trying out a magic mary 2.8 speedgrip and have been really impressed, much faster rolling than my previous experiences with other MMs (27.5 & 29 2.3s traistars), but more importantly to the me the grip is awesome and it cuts through the mud better than any other 27.5+ tyre that ive tried, so much so i reckon i might stick with the NN2.8/MM2.8 combo through the winter.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Keep an eye on the inside of the chainstays. I ran a Slaughter 2.6 on my Calling all summer and the lower inside of the rear triangle is scratched and gouged due to rocks getting trapped in tread then repeatedly smacking against the bike. I don't think the damage is severe but it's a lot worse than normal wear and tear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Which do you guys prefer on the Following MB; 29" wheels/tires or 27.5"+ wheels/tires ?
    If I go with 29" then I think I'd want a 2.5" DHF up front and 2.4" DHR II or Aggressor in the rear.
    If 27.5"+ then I'd want 2.6" in same model tires.
    What is your thoughts ?
    Right now I see Ibis 938 wheelset on many sites at 27% off !! But I am still undecided on wheels size.