Following creak when cycled- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Following creak when cycled

So i just built the bike but without pedals yet and bb. I can hear some creaking when i compress the shock up and down with force. Its more like a creak vs a clunk. I checked the linkages and eveything is torqued to spec. The cables are also good with no movements to produce a creak. The fork is silent when compressed. Any ideas what to check for?

also, for maintenance purposes, how often do you dismantle the whole delta system to clean and lubricate it. Or is it necessary?

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Check the top shock mount to make sure it is centered the bushing. If you search through the threads you can find some pics. I doubt that is the issue you are seeing, because it usually takes a couple of rides for it to show up.

Are you pushing down on the seat? I have had seats creak at the rails and at the seat post. Try pushing down on the top tube

mtbr member
    Along with what RDB said, also check the main pivot bolt, after servicing my friends and torquing everything up to spec he had same sort of creak when pressure was applied to pedal and suspension cycled, checked that bolt and gave it an extra quarter turn and noise gone. I think that being that it's carbon onto carbon that there could be a slight tolerance issue and the recommended torque does not make all the parts contact each other properly.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I had creaks from top shock mount (fixed with rwc kit / grease) & creaks from saddle/post interface (fixed with grease). Still got a slight bb creak tho.

mtbr member
    Other place could be the dogbone links. A little grease goes a long way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks for all the help. This has ben ridden as i bought it used. I doubt its rhe seatpost because i can make the sound also when i use the TT to cycle the suspension. Anyway, do i need to check every bolt and make sure they are greased? I will check the top shock mount. What specifically should i do with that?

mtbr member
    You need to start there. I had the same creak develop a few months in and it was contamination of the dogbone links. Some dirt/grit had made its way in there.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks. Do you guys know where to find at evils website the guide to open the linkages? If anyone can post it please.

Colin, did you just clean the area or you greased it too?

mtbr member
    Both. It's not hard, just remove the bolts and pay attention to how it all comes apart so you can reassemble.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I see. So is this a regular thing to do?my santa cruz never creaked. Maybe thats the trade off of a complicated linkage system. Will grease rhe dogbone links. Can anyone direct me where the main pivot is? The system looks really confusing. But is it the biggest bolt in here?

mtbr member
    Yep. It's the only place the rear triangle rotates in relation to the front triangle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Do i have to grease the shaft and threads of each bolt before i thread back in?the main pivot specifically. Though the bike was never dismantled before.

mtbr member
    I'd grease the shaft and head, not the threads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    So i opened the bone links and the shock mounts and the main pivot. It was clean and torqued it back to spec. The creaky sound is still there. The only thing i did not touch were the flip chip bolts as i dont think it does a lot of moving.

One possible cause of the creak is the dropperpost which is a reverb. Anyone having creaks with internal dropper posts? There is no drivetrain yet so they are already out of the issue.

mtbr member
    If you bought it used, you never know what the other owner did in terms of maintenance and cleaning, I would strip it completely down and clean, re-grease and re-torque everything. Give Evil a call and chat, they're normally pretty good about answering the phone, but their web site sucks, there are no technical documents to show service etc, very lacking.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Will check that. What specific areas should be greased? Jut the main pivot shaft right? The bearings are sealed and looks new so i think i should just leave it for a while.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've solved a Following creak by greasing my shock bolts. i put a light film of grease over the entire bolt, everywhere it will come into contact with the bike. I think my creak was the bottom bolt.
    I've also fixed creaks in other bikes by greasing the seatpost and cleaning the seat rails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks! I noticed that the shock bolt was bone dry. I will try to dab some grease there too today. And will see how the bottom mount looks like.

I did not open the bolts of the sag meter and its opposite side.

I no longer put grease on the threads of the bone links bolts and flip chip bolts. Instead i put loctite to ensure tightness.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Found the creak and it was the lower shock mount. It was creaking when i unthreaded it. It was bone dry and dusty. So i greased, reinstalled and its silent already. Nice! Thanks for all the help.

mtbr member
    Awesome! So satisfying to see someone chase down a maddening creak