First Question: Following MB or Calling? Second Question: Which size?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018

First Question: Following MB or Calling? Second Question: Which size?

# Me ----------------------
    5'11" and about 185lbs with a 34" inseam. Can't find an Evil to demo in the 5 state area so I'm reaching out to the interwebs.

# Terrain ------------------
    I'm in the Midwest so lots of tight, twisty rolling single track with easy to mid tech. Lots of bursty ups and downs... More roots than rocks. That'll be 90% of the riding. 10% of the riding are trips to Denver, Moab, and Sedona.

# Type of Riding ---------
    I'm looking for something that is punchy, somewhat easy to throw around, good acceleration, and will give me confidence to take on at least 3' drops and jumps. I'm getting older so I don't trust myself on much more than that. I don't race but fast is fun. Basically, I want it all like everyone else (light, fast, plush, good uphill, good downhill).

# What Didn't Work -----
    - Tried a large Yeti SB5.5 and I felt really clumsy and top-heavy.
    - Tried a medium Yeti SB5 and it felt way too small. The seat post was incredibly short.
    - Tried a large SC Bronson and it felt great for the most part in terms of how it rode, although the seatpost was a bit short, I feel the reach could have been a bit longer.
    - My large ICAN Fat King handles great, accelerates great, but I absolutely need full sus because those features are killing me.

# Why I think Evil Might Be For Me ----------
    From what I can gather, they are a great blend of poppy, quick, yet plush and easy to control bikes. Most importantly, I hear how fun they are... Which is absolutely subjective but there must be something to it, right? It also goes without saying how sexy they are.

# QUESTION 1: Following MB or Calling? ---------
    Just about everyone I've asked in my area recommends a 29er. My AWOL is a 29er and my Fat King is a 26 (but equates to 29 when you count the rubber). I hear the Following is a big bike so I worry that it may have similar unweildliness (that's a word, right?) that I felt from the SB5.5... Also, I seem to believe that I spend more time on trails trying to get up to speed, as opposed to utilizing rolling speed so I feel like a 27.5er might make more sense. I also think it's plenty fast downhill. Maybe I just haven't been on the right 29er yet, or I'm missing something. Oh, I also hate it when the front end wanders when going up steep inclines... So whatever bike is better for that is a bonus.

# QUESTION 2: Which size? ----------
    Based on other bikes I've tried, I feel like I'm definitely a large but based on the SB5.5, comments from a couple individuals online, and official size guides, I'm second-guessing that. Are any of you a similar size and can recommend a size for the Following MB or the Calling?

Thanks everyone in advance!

mtbr member
    I think you could go either way really but definitely in size Large. The Following in that size doesn't feel big at all. I own a Following MB and a Yeti SB5.5c and to me the Following following feels smaller all around.

Going back to my Yeti and selling my MB frame so if you are interested, PM me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm same height / 32" inseam and the Large is perfect. (Calling)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000 View Post
    I think you could go either way really but definitely in size Large. The Following in that size doesn't feel big at all. I own a Following MB and a Yeti SB5.5c and to me the Following following feels smaller all around.

your problem was you went Following and not Wreckoning!!!
    Evil Insurgent Yeti SB5.5 Evil Wreckoning Pivot Switchblade Pivot Mach 5.5 Yeti SB150

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowsed341 View Post
    your problem was you went Following and not Wreckoning!!!
    Haha, exactly. Looking for a Wreckoning frame now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rondre3000 View Post

Thanks for that info. Could you provide some of the differences you notice between the MB and the SB5.5, as well as the type of terrain you typically ride?

mtbr member
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=13619644

YMMV - from Calhoun:

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I have a MB and a Calling. For my riding the MB is more playful and climbs better. The Calling could be better in the park but the MB would be better for your techy XC rides. So far I have not been able to notice a difference in travel. I haven't taken the MB off any large drops but my buddy has with no issue.

Gotta say I was hesitant to pick up the MB as my last 29er (SB4.5) was way too xc. But so far the bike has been killer. Does not feel like the 29ers of the past.
    Last edited by cheezwhip; 05-01-2018 at 08:58 AM.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've never ridden a calling, but it's on my short list. I'm 5'11.5 with a 32" inseam. I ride a large Following MB with a 50mm stem and 770mm bars. It doesn't feel big at all to me. I'm able to negotiate some surprisingly tight obstacles on it. That surprises me because it's also very confidence inspiring when going down steep stuff. I've taken 4' drops on it and could tell it still had more to go (But the rider won't try it). The acceleration is good for a 29er too.

I'm guessing the smaller wheels on the Calling will help with acceleration over short distances but of course give up a little roll over.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gomid View Post
    Thanks for that info. Could you provide some of the differences you notice between the MB and the SB5.5, as well as the type of terrain you typically ride?
    My Following MB to SB5.5 comparison isn't exactly fair, but will allow you to see where I'm coming from. I ride typical SoCal trails. Dry, loose over hard, rocky and preferably fast and flowy.

Yeti is a longer bike and obviously slacker. I've had the bike since they were first released so there is a comfort level there that a new bike of 2 weeks just couldn't compare to. My Yeti also has an 11-6 coil and Avalanche damper in the fork. I'd describe my riding style on this bike as "None". I don't always pick the smoothest lines and feel good about trucking over chunk because the bike can take it.

The Following MB I'd describe as a VERY good trail bike. With my set-up it felt a little more compact. Just a rocketship going up, compared to the Yeti. Responsive and agile. Obviously not as plush as the Yeti and you shouldn't expect it to with less available travel. However, it handled all of the "regular" trail stuff I ride with minimal complaints.

If your trails allow you to open up with some speed I would definitely go with the Following over the Calling.

-Ron.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Both bikes are great and it really comes down to wheel size preference. I went from a 26" Stumpy Evo with 150mm (front and back) to the Following MB with 130 fork. I have about 500 miles on my MB at this point. I can confirm that it is poppy and playful. The MB loves to jump and given its shorter travel, it's really easy to preload for jumping, bunny hops and manuals. The Delta suspension is dreamy for jump lines... landings are just so silky. Where my MB gets pushed to its limits is on long, steep, chunky decents. The Stumpy was definitely plusher, and I definitely get more feedback from the trail on the MB. However, paradoxically, the MB is clearly more composed and holds a line better despite that. I attribute a lot of that to the big wheels. I was torn between 29 and 27.5 when I chose this bike, and honestly I'm still not sure which is my preferred size. They're different and each has its pros and cons. Had I gone with a Calling, I think I would have been perfectly happy with that as well. Bottom line is that I'm having a blast riding my MB, and I'll just enjoy it for the next 2-3 seasons, then re-assess as I always do after a few years.

In terms of sizing, I concur with the others on size Large. Good luck with your decision and enjoy whatever you end up with!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I blindly bit the bullet and went with a Following (large). It just arrived yesterday and I took it out quite a bit for the weekend. The fit feels pretty good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Congrats! They really seem like a great trail bike

Ibis Ripley LS x01 Factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2017 Ibis Ripley LS Factory X01