Evil Wreckoning vs Pivot Switchblade- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Evil Wreckoning vs Pivot Switchblade

I am looking at getting a Medium Size Evil wreckoning for my size, (160 lbs., 5’8”), but I am wondering about the overall performance, (climbing an downhill). Right now, I have a medium Pivot switchblade that I am running a 160 fox 36 and burly 29” tires and a DVO piggy back shock, (weight right at 30lbs). I feel that I am pushing the limits on the downhill due to the 135mm rear travel, But I do love the climbing. And I do climb everywhere I ride In the NW Oregon, plus a lot of trips to Moab, (never shuttle). I don’t expect The Wreckoning to climb like a cross country bike, but go up at a good pace, and bomb the downs in comfort. On the downhill the switchblade front end feels good and stable at speed in the rough, but the rear starts to dance around. I hear a lot of good things about the Wreckoning, but I am concerned that I may lose my climbing ability. I know that the frame is about 1 lb. heavier than the switchblade, so I doubt that that would hurt it to much. Has anybody else have experience with both bikes, and have an opinion. I know that these 2 bikes are in slightly different category’s, but It depends on how you set it up. I have my Switch blade set up aggressive. In summery I am wanting to gain downhill confidence and not lose much if any on the climbs. Thanks for your opinions

Deviant
    If you want something that will climb I'd at least look at the Yeti SB 5.5. There's a pretty good head to head comparison of it versus the wreckoning floating around online somewhere. I was looking at a wreckoning before deciding on the 5.5 and I'll say this... It was an extremely tough choice between the two. I absolutely love the wreckoning and almost went that way simply because I already have one Yeti but from every review I read Yeti simply is a better climber

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have not ridden the Wreckoning but I have an Insurgent and I feel it climbs almost as well as my 120mm single pivot trail bike. That being said, the Switchblade and the Yeti are also great bikes. I have friends that swear by and love their Pivots, but they don't seem to fit me. If you can, demo rides are the way to go before you decide.

mtbr member
    Suspension on both bikes designed by same guy. Anything Dave Weagle has designed usually has high anti squat numbers and climbs very good.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Wrecker climbs great for a 161mm bike. If you have cash to burn you can do a 30lbs build with an X2. I owned a Switchblade and a 5.5. I liked the SB a lot but it was lacking where you indicated...descents (at least compared to a long travel 29er). The 5.5 was a great all around bike and was an excellent climber but I just felt it had zero personality compared to DELTA bikes and others. For me it was an easy decision to go back to the wrecker. If you can get out and ride one and find out what you like/value more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Yes, you answered my concerned. I was looking at the 5.5 yeti also, but was concerned with the 17.2” chain stays. One thing that I have gotten very addicted to on the switchblade is the 16.9 chain stays. It is very nice to lean on the rear wheel and manual on down hill bumps. The Wreconing has the same short chain stays.

Demon Cleaner
    I agree that the Wreckoning climbs great for a heavy and long travel bike. I've put 25 miles 5k days on mine no problem. Wouldn't wish for another bike. However, it's not a XC bike nor does it feel as fast as a 5.5 to me. I bought it because it was freaken fun as hell. Just got to decide what matters more to you.

I haven't spent time on Switchblade. Spent an hour waiting in line to demo one only to not get a bike. Kind of ruined any chance I would buy one. Seems like a great trail bike though.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Orbea Rallon is getting a lot of good press right now. It fits between sb5.5c and Wreckoning in travel and depending on the review does everything both of those bikes are known for very well. It’s also got more modern geometry compared to those bikes in terms of STA, reach, STL, B.B. height, etc

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I use to think the sb5.5c and SB were superior climbers compared to my wreck with a coil but ever since I started running a ohlins stx22 I think the wreckoning pedaling performance is close but the bike is still heavier. Climbing geo is still slightly better on the sb5.5c and SB but the wrecker kills both when pointed down in the confidence and fun departments

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jmd97 View Post
    I am looking at getting a Medium Size Evil wreckoning for my size, (160 lbs., 5’8”), but I am wondering about the overall performance, (climbing an downhill). Right now, I have a medium Pivot switchblade that I am running a 160 fox 36 and burly 29” tires and a DVO piggy back shock, (weight right at 30lbs). I feel that I am pushing the limits on the downhill due to the 135mm rear travel, But I do love the climbing. And I do climb everywhere I ride In the NW Oregon, plus a lot of trips to Moab, (never shuttle). I don’t expect The Wreckoning to climb like a cross country bike, but go up at a good pace, and bomb the downs in comfort. On the downhill the switchblade front end feels good and stable at speed in the rough, but the rear starts to dance around. I hear a lot of good things about the Wreckoning, but I am concerned that I may lose my climbing ability. I know that the frame is about 1 lb. heavier than the switchblade, so I doubt that that would hurt it to much. Has anybody else have experience with both bikes, and have an opinion. I know that these 2 bikes are in slightly different category’s, but It depends on how you set it up. I have my Switch blade set up aggressive. In summery I am wanting to gain downhill confidence and not lose much if any on the climbs. Thanks for your opinions
    I owned both at the same time and switched back and forth a lot, had he wreck then bought the switchblade but ran it at 27.5+. Wreck was the faster bike up and down for me but I had and 11.6 and on the sb I had an x2. Have a new nomad now and would recommend it over both. As good a climber and faster down, makes you feel like you are going slow then you look at max speed and can’t believe you went that fast.

mtbr member