Evil Wreckoning looking for a sidekick. Calling or Following MB?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Evil Wreckoning looking for a sidekick. Calling or Following MB?

What do you think would be a better companion to an Evil Wreckoning? I currently own an Evil Wreckoning and had my Evil Following stolen. I miss having a fun more spirited easy pedaling trail bike and now deciding to replace the stolen bike with an MB or Calling...

For those who have ridden both pretty extensively. Or even someone who has ridden 29 and tried riding 27.5 again. Does the Calling feel twitchy compared to the Following?

Anyone own a Following and now Calling and when on the Calling wish the wheels were bigger?

Talked to the guys at Evil and they mentioned that the Following and Calling are basically the same bike just different wheel sizes.

I'm planning on running the Following in 140mm and the Calling in 150mm. Bad idea?
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Iíve been sharing time on a Wreckoning and a Calling for a couple of seasons now, and couldnít be happier. I had a Pivot 429 Trail for a few seasons prior to the Calling, so hadnít been riding anything with smaller wheels for a while. I rolled the dice on the Calling. No demo, not even a parking lot ride. Now itís the bike I spend the most time on. I donít find it at all difficult to switch back and forth between wheel sizes. The bikes do have different characteristics, but nothing thatís hard to adjust or adapt to. Iím running 2.6s on the Calling, and I donít even really notice the difference in rollover. The biggest differences are how poppy, playful and snappy the Calling is, and how fast the Wreckoning rolls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've not been on the Wrecker or Calling but I'm sure I'd like them just fine. A Wrecker for me would not see enough use to make the purchase viable, even with trips to Pisgah and some of the rowdier terrain I ride regularly. I did ride a very nice rental Pivot 5.5 at Phils World out in Cortez when I was there for some meetings. It was nice riding bike and pretty fun. It had 2.6 tires on it and felt a little more sluggish than my Following with a 140 mm Stage fork and high volume 2.35's.

I think a 140 mm fork on the Following works very well. I have a Works -1 degree AS headset on my Following set in the higher geometry mode, which obviously slacks it out a bit more. This also keeps the stack a little lower only adding +4mm to the stack height with a 548 A2C height vs the stock 130mm Evil geometry chart specifying a 531 A2C height. Some say that the 140 mm fork on the Following lengthens the WB too much and places the front wheel to far forward but I don't find that is necessarily true. The geometry on my bike with the -1 deg Works AS and the added 17mm of A2C height over the stock 130 geometry only added 17 mm of overall wheelbase and a 65.7 deg HA. I find that it really doesn't slow the handling down much at all and it's automatic to adjust a weight shift a little more forward for the added WB. I find it does add a little more high speed and steep terrain stability to the bike without any real negative effects. The -1 deg AS helps keep the seat angle steeper by using the high geometry mode.

To give my Following a more dual personality I also run a 120 mm RS-1 fork which is how it's set up currently. This nets me a 66.6 degree HA, 74.8 degree SA, 13" BB height and +12 mm of WB length in the high (or low vs X-Low) geometry setting. It really feels like a rocket in this 120 build and is quite fun especially on the bermy, jump line type trails.

I don't think you can go wrong with either The Calling or The Following. My vote is for the Wrecker/ Following combo for the 29r rollover and the ability to run 29 or 27.5+ on the bike with a slightly shorter 12mm WB length vs The Calling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    This is great tips guys! The new Bronson is just came out and that added a wrench to things.

mtbr member
    I think the Bronson lives in between the Wreckoning and the Following (or Calling). I have buds that ride the Bronson and I often here them saying they want to build a Following or a bike that has a little more pop in it's suspension. I'd bet you miss your Following, I know I would and I would flat out replace it no question. The other bike I might add down the road is a Transition Vanquish.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Youíre right. The Following for sure is a safe bet. That thing was fun. The Bronson is a looker though and from what I hear it is way more Evil like in terms of suspension. Like how the new Nomad was.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    I think the Bronson lives in between the Wreckoning and the Following (or Calling). I have buds that ride the Bronson and I often here them saying they want to build a Following or a bike that has a little more pop in it's suspension. I'd bet you miss your Following, I know I would and I would flat out replace it no question. The other bike I might add down the road is a Transition Vanquish.

Another extreme is get some light wheels / tires for the Wreck and then pick up a SB100...
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member

Evil Wreckoning looking for a sidekick. Calling or Following MB?

Or the new Sniper from Intense. I saw one on Vital or Pinkbike that looked pretty damn nice and light https://www.pinkbike.com/news/intens...xc-review.html. Put a 120 mm fork on that and itíd be a rocket of a trail bike and a nice compliment to the Wrecker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    a 66.6 degree HA
    I donít if you noticed in my earlier post? Thereís just something about the Evils thatís just hard to ignore. Like the HA my current 120/ 120 build netted. I surely didnít plan that. Itís a devilishly fun slashing berm eating machine. bleedblackdieevil!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    wheel size is the question in my opinion, i am loving the 27.5 of the calling. i have not ridden a following but i owned a wreck and an insurgent. i recommend the calling since the smaller wheels feel so much quicker, good compliment to how the wreck is so fast and just crushes everything. if i sell my range i will probably buy another wreck as I like having a 29er with long travel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks Kenwood. I have heard similar feedback too. Do you feel the Calling is too twitchy at all? With its relatively short wheelbase?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
    Thanks Kenwood. I have heard similar feedback too. Do you feel the Calling is too twitchy at all? With its relatively short wheelbase?
    I agree with kenwoodís comments. And no, the Calling doesnít feel twitchy at all. Wheelbase isnít that short, just under 1200 for the large frame in standard build spec, and its relatively slack for a 140/130 bike at 66.4 HA in the higher setting. If anything, it feels way more capable and stable than youíd expect from a mid travel trail bike. Especially true, given how nimble and playful it is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    I agree with kenwoodís comments. And no, the Calling doesnít feel twitchy at all. Wheelbase isnít that short, just under 1200 for the large frame in standard build spec, and its relatively slack for a 140/130 bike at 66.4 HA in the higher setting. If anything, it feels way more capable and stable than youíd expect from a mid travel trail bike. Especially true, given how nimble and playful it is.

Sweet. Was looking at the new Bronson and running that with 150 fork. Looks like youíre not giving anything up in climbing and fun but with a tad more rear travel. Looks like the consensus is Calling it sticking with Evil as the best compliment to the Wreck.

---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post

Agreed not twitchy at all!!!

mtbr member
    You should be fired up about either bike choice here. The Calling is a half in longer wheelbase than the Following with a slacker HA, so I can't imagine it'd be twitchy at all. Twitchy is not a word that people usually use to describe Evil trail bikes. And it'll be a great compliment to the Wrecker.

Me, even though I'm smaller, I'm addicted to the big wheels and the Following is one of the most playful bikes out there and that I've ever been on. in 30+ yrs of mtb time! Plus it's a better climbing bike.