Evil Wreckoning little better'er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Evil Wreckoning little better'er

Since someone posted a new post on the new Insurgent I thought it was only right to show everyone the new Wreckoning.
    Attachment 1202862
    Attachment 1202863
    "We don't want to let the whole cat out of the bag just yet, but water bottle bosses (mounts) were added to the size medium through x-large frames, and the Insurgent has been upgraded to boost rear axle spacing. Most importantly, the new color schemes are ready to melt the internet. The Insurgent LB will be available in Freddy Mercury and Yogurt Truck, while the Wreckoning is set in Rusty Trombone and Fallout Green."
    Attachment 1202867

I must say I LOVE the brown Wreckoning
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Evil Wreckoning little better'er-evil-bikes-wreckoning-lb-fallout-green.jpg  

Evil Wreckoning little better'er-evil-bikes-wreckoning-lb-rusty-trombone.jpg  

Evil Wreckoning little better'er-evil-bikes-wreckoning-lb-rusty-trombone-hero.jpg  

Last edited by NHMB; 06-18-2018 at 01:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    They actually named a color rusty trombone....oo boi.

The freddy mercury color from their IG is gorgeous though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troodontinae View Post

The freddy mercury color from their IG is gorgeous though.
    Notice I didn't input the name of the color when I said it was my favorite color! HA

mtbr member
    They must have hired the marketing team from Cove.

dlc
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just built a XL fallout green. It is bright

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dlc View Post
    Just built a XL fallout green. It is bright
    Pics required for such claims

dlc
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Pics required for such claims
    Pics are uploading

But here is a link

https://www.facebook.com/16861577649...3870833217624/

mtbr member
    is it like the toxic sludge?

dlc
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    A lot brighter

dlc
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    [URL=https://s33.photobucket.com/user/DCarder/media/Mtn%20Biking/A37F2DC6-CB97-4D7F-8C83-585BBFBF8B6C.png.html][/URL]

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What color is it? Brown? Red? Can’t really see.

on my 3rd wind...
    Looks like those pesky little cable gromets are still refusing to stay flush on the new LB. Oh well.
    sth

dlc
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yeah. This photo is mid build. Just snapped it before I left the shop today. Still tough to keep in though

Chris Bling
    Anything different geo or tire clearance wise?

dlc
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Anything different geo or tire clearance wise?
    Not on the Wreckoning

mtbr member
    Not on the Wreckoning
    Too early to dub it WreckoningNB?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

Chris Bling
    That made me lol!

mtbr member
    Not better, little better, depends on how much you’re into the rusty trombone.

mtbr member
    I gotta see some pics of that rusty trombone! The green looks much different in the stock photos compared to those build pics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What about layup wise? Are the frames any lighter? I know durability is our main concern, but lighter can’t hurt if done properly. I currently have an alloy Sentinel and going to carbon version would save me 2.5lbs roughly. If the wreckoning weight hasn’t changed I’m breaking even pretty much.

mtbr member
    nothing said yet, but im guessing it will be close to the same. Right now, they (i think) need to be durable ()reliable)more than anything right now..... because of the past.

mtbr member
    Could be color dependent. I recall a 0.5 lb weight penalty for smashing pumpkin on the following MB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    Could be color dependent. I recall a 0.5 lb weight penalty for smashing pumpkin on the following MB.
    Yes but it seems therr is one matte finish and one glossy like last model so guessing there is no difference.

mtbr member
    The brown looks pretty good in person IMO - very low key.

Last edited by cheezwhip; 06-10-2018 at 07:11 PM.

mtbr member
    The frames are now lighter and stronger per the reps at the bike festival this weekend in WA.

mtbr member
    I heard rumours of more clearance in the rear, can anyone confirm or deny this? The demo Wrecker I took out last month had a nasty habit of picking up stones and jamming them between the frame and the top of the tyre, causing some nasty rashes. It made me wince, and it wasn't even my bike...

mtbr member
    Different fiber layup to make it lighter, water bottle bosses, new colors. That’s it per Evil.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    Different fiber layup to make it lighter, water bottle bosses, new colors. That’s it per Evil.
    That’s what I wanted to here.

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Looks like these paint jobs were directly aimed at pairing DVO Diamond Boost forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post

That’s the rusty trombone? Maybe it’s just the picture, but it looks kinda grey. Haha

mtbr member
    May 2009
    A tear, i was hoping for metric shox.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbersk View Post
    That’s the rusty trombone? Maybe it’s just the picture, but it looks kinda grey. Haha
    Probably the lighting. Its a matte finish so it's catching the Sun in a way that makes it look grey.

mtbr member
    Probably the lighting. Its a matte finish so it's catching the Sun in a way that makes it look grey.
    That makes sense. I gotta see one in person!

mtbr member
    I like the rusty trombone, but I'd still pick blue.

mtbr member
    Evil Wreckoning little better'er-fb1fafdd-17d8-4259-b300-3e19f6be4567.jpegEvil Wreckoning little better'er-cd606f33-301d-4070-b372-33a3923e614a.jpeg

Does anyone know how much a size L wreckoning frame in blue weighs? If so we’ll know if the LB is actually lighter. 7.32 lbs on the Fallout Green size L.

mtbr member
    Evil Wreckoning little better'er-2ffe218c-1736-4d2b-bcb2-fac5c2b98d38.jpeg

Looks like it’s over .2 lbs (plus however much the axle weighs) lighter than a size L in blue. Stoked!

mtbr member
    CC DB Air's now come with black stanchoins? Sweeeeet!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbersk View Post
    That makes sense. I gotta see one in person!
    From the stock frame photos used in som Bike shop of rusty trombone colour, looks really nice and hopefully captured really well.
    https://www.mtb-shropshire.co.uk/201...il-wreckoning/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Not on the Wreckoning
    Ugh. Faaaiiiil. I just want to stuff Schwalbe 2.6s under the back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdnorm View Post
    Ugh. Faaaiiiil. I just want to stuff Schwalbe 2.6s under the back.
    No problem. You just can't roll the bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Brown DVO please .

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Anyone know if Evil is doing a formal launch of the wreckoning and insurgent?

mtbr member
    https://www.evil-bikes.com/products/wreckoning-lb

It’s officially here!

“The lighter layup improved the overall ride quality, maximizing compliance where we wanted and stiffness where we needed it. We also managed to drop near a half pound from the overall frame weight while retaining the original ride characteristics, max rollover and grip.”
    Last edited by wilbersk; 07-19-2018 at 01:11 PM.

mtbr member
    So after seeing a pic on VitalMTB as bike of the day (https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/d...48/setup,37385) has this Rusty Trombone color has actually been out for a few months now?

I was close to purchasing a frame from Evil a couple months ago and noticed their "gunmetal" frames actually looking a bit more brown/bronze than black. See this Fanatik Build gallery pics.

https://www.fanatikbike.com/blogs/bu...-wreckoning-63

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    my gunmetal is as gray as can be.
    i once had a rootbeer brown Niner WFO. talk about an impossible color to sell in the used market.

Nat
    mtbr member
    A lot of online retailers are showing the Wreckoning LB as being on backorder. Have they sold out their inventory already? It's only been a couple of weeks since release.

Edit: the answer is “no” they haven’t sold out. I went down to my LBS and they said frames are available. So I bought one. Rusty Trombone with DPX2 shock is en route. Whoooo!
    Last edited by Nat; 08-03-2018 at 11:13 AM.

holding back the darkness
    Does anyone with a large Wreckoning LB know what the "actual" seat tube length is? I'm trying to figure out if I can fit a Revive dropper post slammed all the way down into the frame. For reference, the revive is 290.7mm long from bottom of collar to where it connects to the remote. Thanks!
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    No problem. You just can't roll the bike.
    i ran nobby nic 2.6 for a few weeks and they worked fine. it was tight but everything rolled, even in the sedona winter red mud. not sure about the new hans dampf though.

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    I got my LB a month ago, and it's time to say goodbye to my old one. To be honest, the biggest difference for me is the bottle cage...
    $1900 with a new rear end and new Fox DPX2
    Evil Wreckoning Medium Frame - MTBR Classifieds
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

mtbr member

Need Help / input :

Hey mates! Can anyone help me find a solution? Here is the issue : I very much love my Evil Wreckoning. In fact, in literally all ways, it is 'thee' most incredibly fun, perfect fitting, perfect handling bike I have ever owned. But it has to go. The reason is thus : It is simply no good for bad weather use...which means I can't ride for half the year because the entire design quite literally 'packs' up so densely with a mixture of muck, pine-needles, and even small stones and such, that it actually STOPS WORKING properly. I've tried all manner of solutions in terms of 'rigging' up make shift fenders. No solution was satisfactory. The ONLY solution I found / find is to take two extra water bottles with me during EVERY ride so as to flush the linkage fully out usually 3 to four times per ride...which is accomplished ONLY by flipping the bike upside down, and, whilst 'encouraging' the packed in debris to depart by shoving a home-made flexible plastic tool I made INTO the tightly designed linkage. Otherwise the debris simply stays put. It is so irritating to me at this point that I've had enough of it.

So it has to go...as I can't afford to own two MTB trail bikes. Which brings me to the problem : I can't seem to find another bike I like enough to want to own. I don't like the feeling of a 'platform' in a bike's suspension. Every single bike I take for a test ride now disappoints me after having ridden and owned my Wreckoning for going on 9 months time.

I have tried : ALL the current Yeti's. No good. Don't like the feeilng. I have tried Santa Cruz : I like even less than Yeti. Don't want another Knolly as I don't like the 29er geometry OR the travel. Geometron is too long. Not interested in Transition, or DeVinci, or Norco, or Trek, or Specialized. Though I usually take a size 'M', a small size 'Pole MACHINE' seems like it might fit the bill... but it has no track record for longevity as yet, so it's kind of a no go.

I was almost ready to purchase the new 'Intense Carbine' frameset, as it's geometry and wheelbase and design seems like it might do the job...but then I saw the 'press fit' BB. So don't recommend anything with a press-fit because I'll never buy a press-fit bike again...ever, and I don't care what anyone says about them.

Maybe someone out there knows about a brand or bike that I am not as yet aware of. I don't want a YT either. So don't recommend one to me.

Thus far the only real solution I can find is to have Nicolai make me a custom-built G-1 but with 50mm less reach...which would set me back close to $4,000. What I like is Long, low, and relatively slack, as I've found that it suits my style of riding. If anyone can inform me of an alternative to a custom G-1 that will 'feel' somewhat close to how my Wreckoning feels, please, by all means help me with some input. I would actually like a slightly longer wheelbase than my medium Wreckoning, perhaps a bit more slack headtube angle, and very much a steeper seatube angle, as well as slightly longer chain stays...but ALL providing a similar feel as the Evil with an air shock.

Pretty bummed about this but the Wreckoning has to go, and I'm not changing my mind on this so don't try to talk me out of it. The entire linkage design is suited for dry weather usage and that is it. Foul weather destroys the entire experience of riding for me with the Evil. So it has to go.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    @skrool my suggestion: if you can in any way afford it, keep the wrecker for the bright half of the year, and buy a single speed able 27+/29er hardtail (ie kona big honzo St ) for the dark half. That rig should be versatile enough for lots and lots of applications in autumn and winter.
    I don't ride an evil, but my smuggler is barely used, while my honzo logs a lot of miles all year round.

Ps: riding a hardtail will probably be different enough so as to not disappoint you in comparison to riding the wrecker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrool View Post
    Maybe someone out there knows about a brand or bike that I am not as yet aware of. I don't want a YT either. So don't recommend one to me.
    GG Smash? They'll customize any [reasonable] combination of length and height to make a frame that fits you. Loads of dirt/debris clearance and rides very well.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    @skrool my suggestion: if you can in any way afford it, keep the wrecker for the bright half of the year, and buy a single speed able 27+/29er hardtail (ie kona big honzo St ) for the dark half. That rig should be versatile enough for lots and lots of applications in autumn and winter.
    I don't ride an evil, but my smuggler is barely used, while my honzo logs a lot of miles all year round.

Ps: riding a hardtail will probably be different enough so as to not disappoint you in comparison to riding the wrecker
    Hey many thanks Rynee for the input! For me, though, I really do just want to own and use one single bike for MTB. I already have a city-bike which is my daily commuter. Also, one of the nice things about a full-sus, for me, has to do with how it keeps an older back ailment from acting up. The jarring which takes place from riding a hardtail ends up producing inflamation in my lower back mostly, I guess, because I ride so much and as far as my MTB ridea go, none of my rides are less than 4 to 6 hours long. So there is that.

I may end up just having Nicolai build me up a custom tailored G-1 as I know in advance that I will in fact end up with the perfect bike in all respects for my needs. Yes, the price is steep but not really that much more than the Wreckoning was, and since I already have super top of the line components ready to go from my Wreckoning, everything else will already be covered, and, as well, the Nicolai will never break OR 'pack up' with debris in the least. Nor will the Pole MACHINE for that matter. I'd really like to try a Pole MACHINE but---BUT---there is no track record on longevity so far as concerns their entirely un-proven 'glued' together clamshell approach and though they seem to be upstanding with frame replacement, still, they are ****ing Finland and I just don't want to have to deal with warranty issues unless I can do so from WITHIN the USA. ...So I really can't see it being very smart to place myself in the position of a guinea pig...

Evil is the ONLY single-pivot bike that actually 'feels' superior [to me] to four bar linkage designs in my view. It is entirely it's own thing and feel, and is utterly awesome and noticeably stiffer in the rear than anything I have ever ridden or owned and it never does anthing dopey like my Knolly used to do by heaving me over the bars now and then totally unpredictably...OUCH. ...So the Evil really is an awesome feeling setup, but the downside is obvious. SHITTY IN THE FOUL WEATHER. In fact, I'm very surprised that this was not spoken of very much by ANYONE on ANY forum. Had I known of this issue before hand I would likely not have purchased one. But the funny thing is, it took [for me] owning and riding the Wreckoning in order for me to realize what I LIKE!... Even as owning and riding the Wreck seems also to have shown me what type of bike geometry I am most naturally suited to do the best with. Had I never owned the Wreckoning, I might still be riding like I used to : a lot slower, a lot less fun, a lot less everything regardless of trail type or terrain. The geometry of the Wreckoning quite simply 'unlocked' my best potential as a mountain biker in ALL respects. So, in the very least, I at least now know what type of geometry grants me the feeling that I am actually pretty good at going fast...where, before, it always felt like I kind of sucked. I've never had a bike that keeps traction like the Evil does. It was and is, for me, an illuminating experience! If only.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    GG Smash? They'll customize any [reasonable] combination of length and height to make a frame that fits you. Loads of dirt/debris clearance and rides very well.
    I've known of GG for a while now. I did not know that they custom tailor geometry. I will look into it. If I remember they are a single pivot bike as well ...minus the unique EVIL progression linkage.. Still...it's worth a second look... Heading over to their site right now... Thanks mate!

mtbr member
    I've known of GG for a while now. I did not know that they custom tailor geometry. I will look into it. If I remember they are a single pivot bike as well ...minus the unique EVIL progression linkage.. Still...it's worth a second look... Heading over to their site right now... Thanks mate!
    They used to be a SP. Now they are a 4-bar setup. I really like their suspension design.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Not a lot of empirical data out there yet, but the new Jamis Hardline 3VO with a negative angleset could meet your criteria and be worth a look. Intriguing suspension design, at least in theory. And a carbon option is rumored to be on the way.

mtbr member
    Hey many thanks Rynee for the input! For me, though, I really do just want to own and use one single bike for MTB. I already have a city-bike which is my daily commuter. Also, one of the nice things about a full-sus, for me, has to do with how it keeps an older back ailment from acting up. The jarring which takes place from riding a hardtail ends up producing inflamation in my lower back mostly, I guess, because I ride so much and as far as my MTB ridea go, none of my rides are less than 4 to 6 hours long. So there is that.
    hey, you're welcome, pleasure to provide 2 cents your points regarding the negative effects on the body are of course more than valid, especially on rides as long as those you mentioned. mine are unfortunately much shorter...the wife and kids need attention as well
    good luck with finding a new rig!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Alternative to Wrecker

@skrool - I'm in a similar position to yourself in that I'll be moving my Wrecker on shortly. I've loved the feel of the SP over an above many other bikes that I've tested but warranty and crap weather (Ireland) mean that it really just doesn't fly over here. I've exactly the same problems, pivot chokes up, constantly stripping down to clean it out. I've been looking at going back to aluminium with my focus on similar geometry to the Wrecker.

Have a look at LAST Bikes, the "Glen", 29er, similar reach, single pivot, slightly slacker head angle and a similar axle to axle measurement.

GLEN - LAST BIKES SHOP

Can be bought as frame only or full build. Unfortunately no demo bikes available unless your in Germany anytime soon. I've worked my way down through a number of 29er options with similar travel looking to get close to the same geo numbers. I'm down to looking at smaller bespoke builders like Starling, Pole, Stanton and Last.

Best of luck with whatever you choose, would be interested to see what you settle on and how you find it?

10-4

Sambo