The Evil OFFERING.... - Page 9- Mtbr.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 1,601 to 1,782 of 1782
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Iíve got a creak when the suspension is compressed very hard. First thing i did was pull the fork. Clean the steer tube and headset. Regrease and reassemble. Smushed it out in the street and could still get it to creak. Pulled the shock and disassembled all shock linkage, thoroughly cleaned, greased and reassembled. Still creaking. Iíve read elsewhere on MTBR for evil bikes the derailleur hanger and main pivot could also be the problem. Those will be next. If itís still creaking the BB is after that. If itís STILL creaking Iíve read the XD driver could be suspect but I just cleaned the hell out of my cassette and greased it before installing. Everything is torqued to spec. Chasing creak gremlins is worst right behind chasing electrical gremlins... any thoughts?

Hope everyone is enjoying their Offering as much as I am! The Evil OFFERING....-nra-20190323-84.jpgThe Evil OFFERING....-abb369ee-6b1a-4806-a7f7-ae3bf8079a75.jpgThe Evil OFFERING....-nra-20190323-56.jpgThe Evil OFFERING....-nra-20190323-15.jpgThe Evil OFFERING....-img_9239.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jsray152 View Post
    Iíve got a creak when the suspension is compressed very hard. First thing i did was pull the fork. Clean the steer tube and headset. Regrease and reassemble. Smushed it out in the street and could still get it to creak. Pulled the shock and disassembled all shock linkage, thoroughly cleaned, greased and reassembled. Still creaking. Iíve read elsewhere on MTBR for evil bikes the derailleur hanger and main pivot could also be the problem. Those will be next. If itís still creaking the BB is after that. If itís STILL creaking Iíve read the XD driver could be suspect but I just cleaned the hell out of my cassette and greased it before installing. Everything is torqued to spec. Chasing creak gremlins is worst right behind chasing electrical gremlins... any thoughts?

Hope everyone is enjoying their Offering as much as I am! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NRA 20190323-84.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	322.3 KB 
ID:	1244021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABB369EE-6B1A-4806-A7F7-AE3BF8079A75.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	1244022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NRA 20190323-56.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	374.9 KB 
ID:	1244023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NRA 20190323-15.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	350.7 KB 
ID:	1244024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9239.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	360.6 KB 
ID:	1244025

If it's when you compress the shock, then it won't be the cassette, bb or the dropouts.

It's highly likely to be the lower shock mount bolt. Without grease, it cannot be torqued adequately, and will click or creak or knock.

Pop that sucker out, and grease it, then torque to spec.

If you don't that already... Well, I'd need to see and hear a video.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kerpoise View Post
    What tune do folk have on their Coil shocks on the Evil? Are you pretty light on the compression?

I've got a M/M Coil SuperDeluxe that I'm having tuned, and wondering what others have. I'm 165lb, so pretty light.

Iíve got a push. But I had the same spring and compression issue on my nomad with SD as I did with the push on the evil. Recommend spring rates and compression was too soft out of the box. Iíve always had to go up a spring rate (or 2) and slow down the compression a few clicks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    If it's when you compress the shock, then it won't be the cassette, bb or the dropouts.

It's highly likely to be the lower shock mount bolt. Without grease, it cannot be torqued adequately, and will click or creak or knock.

Pop that sucker out, and grease it, then torque to spec.

If you don't that already... Well, I'd need to see and hear a video.

Ya I removed cleaned and greased the insert on the left side of the frame tab and the bolt. I donít apply grease liberally as I ride in the southwest and itís always dry and dusty. I coat completely with a thin layer. In the post where I read it could be the derailleur hanger, the guy was having what sounded to be the same issue. Creak under a heavy suspension compression. Like landing from a jump.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jsray152 View Post
    Ya I removed cleaned and greased the insert on the left side of the frame tab and the bolt. I donít apply grease liberally as I ride in the southwest and itís always dry and dusty. I coat completely with a thin layer. In the post where I read it could be the derailleur hanger, the guy was having what sounded to be the same issue. Creak under a heavy suspension compression. Like landing from a jump.

Ah, I see - so it's not compressing the suspension when the bike is standing. It's when you're riding?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Ah, I see - so it's not compressing the suspension when the bike is standing. It's when you're riding?

I havenít tried it while standing still. Itís definitely coming from the ass end of the bike. Going to try the lower shock bolt again.

wretch
    Rear axle loose? Hangar?

mtbr member
    I had a nasty creak coming from the lower shock mount as well. I re-greased everything and it was still there but after a couple of rides its gone. If you take the upper shock bolts out and move the shock back and forth you will hear it.

Learning to jump
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    I had a nasty creak coming from the lower shock mount as well. I re-greased everything and it was still there but after a couple of rides its gone. If you take the upper shock bolts out and move the shock back and forth you will hear it.
    Same for me. The shock bolt had actually worked itself loose.

2015 Evil Following

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

I humbly make this offering to the earth gods

Quote Originally Posted by CHsurfer View Post
    Same for me. The shock bolt had actually worked itself loose.
    Periodically had to check the bolts on my following MB. Loctite'ed a bunch of them. Evil sent me a new lower shock bolt and that was a source of a lot my creaking (original wasn't threaded deep enough).

It will never look this good again. Put a fender on it and splattered it with mud after this photo was taken. Didn't weigh it, but felt a touch lighter than my MB, that bike came in a hair under 29lbs.

Have 170 cranks incoming and will drop it down to x-low. Upped my pike up to 140mm, as far as it could go. Maybe get a 150mm in the future.

Total mishmash of brands on this thing: maxxis, sram, trek, specialized, one-up, chromag, raceface, formulaÖ
    Once upon a time I used to be more brand retentive on my builds, but now its just about performance/cost/what I already own.

The Evil OFFERING....-offering_20190330.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

The Evil OFFERING....

Creak update - so after all linkage, steer tube, and cranks, the only things left to check were the main pivot and derailleur hanger. i did them both at the same time.

Main pivot - didnít have much grease on it to begin with but it was pretty clean.
    Derailleur hanger - bone dry.

The creak is gone

Side note. My bike came from Fanatik. I bought a set of custom wheels from them a year ago and never had to touch them with a spoke wrench. I was excited to have them build my bike. They did a great job.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by shapethings View Post
    Periodically had to check the bolts on my following MB. Loctite'ed a bunch of them. Evil sent me a new lower shock bolt and that was a source of a lot my creaking (original wasn't threaded deep enough).

It will never look this good again. Put a fender on it and splattered it with mud after this photo was taken. Didn't weigh it, but felt a touch lighter than my MB, that bike came in a hair under 29lbs.

Have 170 cranks incoming and will drop it down to x-low. Upped my pike up to 140mm, as far as it could go. Maybe get a 150mm in the future.

Total mishmash of brands on this thing: maxxis, sram, trek, specialized, one-up, chromag, raceface, formulaÖ
    Once upon a time I used to be more brand retentive on my builds, but now its just about performance/cost/what I already own.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	offering_20190330.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	611.5 KB 
ID:	1244383
    Nice build. I look forward to the day i can build a bike mostly from parts I have laying around.

Iíve had to re-torque the trunnion bolt and some linkage bolts every 2-3 rides. Coming from racing moto, this bike maintenance stuff is a walk in the park lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    For people with creaks, another spot to check is the SRAM derailleur clutch. That had me chasing my tail for a long time, thinking it was my suspension creaking. Locking it out stopped the noise, then I knew. Some lube fixed it.

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004

Got my offering on the trail. Running a 160 fork with 44mm offset and 32mm stem. It feels great that way. I have a -1 headset but I think this is slack enough for now. Im a fan of the shorter offset forks for sure. I am pleasantly surprised at its pedaling. Coming from an RFX I was expecting to lose a little efficiency but so far I haven't noticed any.

I also experienced some paint coming off with the decals. I guess Evil uses some really thin paint or something. HIGHLY recommend an invisiframe on this bike. I put on an invisiframe and then put new decals over the invisiframe in case I ever want something different.

For those fitting seatposts, the 170 Oneup will almost insert all the way. Maybe 5mm from complete insertion. 150 Bachelor and 150 KS Lev insert completely. Frame is a large.

Edit: Weight is 30.2 lb ready to ride. Thats with DPX2, fox 36, Chris King/We Are One wheels, Magic Mary/Nobby Nic, Next R crank, and Code brakes.
    Last edited by Organ; 04-02-2019 at 08:04 AM. Reason: add weight

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I put in an email with Evil, asking when the offering will be back in stock.
    have not heard back.
    They have some frames I think, but not complete bike builds.

anyone have any idea what is up?

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004
    Have you looked at Fanatik? They have good deals on custom builds and seem to be in contact with Evil on new shipments. No association with them, just got mine from there and happy with the experience. Super quick to respond to emails.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Organ View Post

Got my offering on the trail. Running a 160 fork with 44mm offset and 32mm stem. It feels great that way. I have a -1 headset but I think this is slack enough for now. Im a fan of the shorter offset forks for sure. I am pleasantly surprised at its pedaling. Coming from an RFX I was expecting to lose a little efficiency but so far I haven't noticed any.

I also experienced some paint coming off with the decals. I guess Evil uses some really thin paint or something. HIGHLY recommend an invisiframe on this bike. I put on an invisiframe and then put new decals over the invisiframe in case I ever want something different.

For those fitting seatposts, the 170 Oneup will almost insert all the way. Maybe 5mm from complete insertion. 150 Bachelor and 150 KS Lev insert completely. Frame is a large.

Edit: Weight is 30.2 lb ready to ride. Thats with DPX2, fox 36, Chris King/We Are One wheels, Magic Mary/Nobby Nic, Next R crank, and Code brakes.
    Sweet whip!! I contemplated putting my decals on top of the invisiframe but ended up skipping wrapping the whole frame and just doing the main trouble areas.

mtbr member
    The chain slap is by far the worst I've ever had on a bike. I have owned a Following, Wreckoning, Calling and the FMB and none of them have been this bad. Evil needs to release an updated upper and lower stay protector for this bike.

mtbr member
    The chain slap is by far the worst I've ever had on a bike. I have owned a Following, Wreckoning, Calling and the FMB and none of them have been this bad. Evil needs to release an updated upper and lower stay protector for this bike.
    it doesn't make sense,the Offering is the one that have more chain clearance from the chain stay,check your derailleur clutch if its loosing tension.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Finally got around to riding my Offering. The California winter has been extra wet this year and didn't want to thrash my new bike like I always do. Always seem to get something around November and just can't wait and end up thrashing it in the mud too soon.

I was asked to compare to the Sentinel previously. I rode the Sentinel for about a year and was happy with it. Climbed great for what it was and felt confident on the downs and stable in the air. I had planned to upgrade to the carbon version when the Offering became available. I've loved my previous Evils, Following V1 (still own) and Insurgent.

I ended up on the Sentinel because I learned I'm a 29er guy. Didn't want the Wreckoning because I never found my Insurgent super playful although it kicked ass on the downs just wasn't as poppy as my following. So figured the Wreckoning was too much travel for my usual rides, Santa Cruz, CA. The 140mm rear end of the Sentinel seemed like the sweet spot. And it was, like I said I was totally happy with the bike.

When the Offering became available I decided to go back to Evil just because I really like the feel of the DELTA, not super plush but not harsh by any means just the right amount of trail feedback. Like a sports car in my opinion. With only a handful of rides on the Offering I can say with the utmost confidence I made the right choice.

It really rides like a beefed up following. Being 190 lbs, still trying to shed winter pounds from two seasons ago, I feel like I beat up my Following. The following handles everything I throw at it but I totally feel myself using all the travel especially in LOW (LOW = XLOW on V1) with the tire rub on bottom out. I will still keep my following, such a fun "XC" bike to have for those workout rides and just putting in miles.

Like I said I was happy with the Sentinel but Im STOKED on the Offering. That 140mm of rear travel is the sweet spot for me. Still super playful and carries a ton of speed. I find myself lookin for things to pop off even on my workout rides. Only a couple of rides in Santa Cruz so far, still super wet, but its just one of those perfect bike for the redwoods. I can't say enough good things about this bike just super fun to ride.

QUESTION TIME:
    I'm running the Fox DPX2 in the rear and weigh 190lbs out of the shower. Im running like 247 psi, but loving it. Does that seem too high? I have a shockwiz thats says that the compression ration is 3.0 and Im at 28% dynamic sag. I have run the wiz on several shocks and forks and totally though everything went well with the setup. It is also saying everything is "feeling good" tuning score of 96. BUT its noticing hardly any deep compressions events.

Can anyone with a shockwiz and DPX2 tell me their compression ratio so I can compare and see if I need to calibrate again. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Mine is super quiet. I have much chain fairly snug and running a 32t chainring.

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by delarosa View Post

QUESTION TIME:
    I'm running the Fox DPX2 in the rear and weigh 190lbs out of the shower. Im running like 247 psi, but loving it. Does that seem too high? I have a shockwiz thats says that the compression ration is 3.0 and Im at 28% dynamic sag. I have run the wiz on several shocks and forks and totally though everything went well with the setup. It is also saying everything is "feeling good" tuning score of 96. BUT its noticing hardly any deep compressions events.

Can anyone with a shockwiz and DPX2 tell me their compression ratio so I can compare and see if I need to calibrate again. Thanks in advance.
    I have a .2 volume spacer in my dpx2 and the shockwiz says 2.9 compression ratio. Iím still getting mine dialed in but Iím running around 220psi and Iím 185lb without gear. Where do you mount the shockwiz? Havenít found a good place to mount mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Organ View Post
    I have a .2 volume spacer in my dpx2 and the shockwiz says 2.9 compression ratio. Iím still getting mine dialed in but Iím running around 220psi and Iím 185lb without gear. Where do you mount the shockwiz? Havenít found a good place to mount mine.
    I used the longer hose and brought it across the front of the shock and loosely mounted it to the DELTA link on the opposite side from the valve.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I did the same as Delarosa

mtbr member
    Has anyone come from a Wreckoning? I just bought an Offering frame (with a Fox 36 150mm fork with ACS3 and Push 11/6) and whilst the one mellow trail ride I have on on it was great, I am starting to overthink that the Offering isn't going to be good enough for bike park sessions, when compared to the Wreckoning. Anyone have any real world feedback to either confirm or ally my fears?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    Has anyone come from a Wreckoning? I just bought an Offering frame (with a Fox 36 150mm fork with ACS3 and Push 11/6) and whilst the one mellow trail ride I have on on it was great, I am starting to overthink that the Offering isn't going to be good enough for bike park sessions, when compared to the Wreckoning. Anyone have any real world feedback to either confirm or ally my fears?
    Iíve got the same setup on my Offering. Have you tried it in the Xlow position? Small change but adds a bit of confidence on the steeps. That said, Iím still considering a Firebird29 for my park bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal View Post
    "when compared to the Wreckoning"
    While I have never ridden a Wreckoning, I can agree with your statement above based on Evil's description of the bikes and from rider's reviews. However, I think the Offering should hold its own at a Bike Park with some force, but it'll never be the plow monster the Wreckoning will ever be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've got a large offering getting put in the mail to me today and am starting to line up some parts.

I'm looking at running a -1 angleset. Going with this one:
    https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...nt=39324610371

anyone know what length I need for a large frame?

I'm also wondering what my options are for coil shocks. Obviously there's Push. Anything else I should be considering? If I'm reading right it doesn't look like Fox makes anything that will fit?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Had to put locktite on my trunnion bolts since they come loose every ride.

unfortunately, the conical washers fell out and I don't remember which way they're supposed to face. anyone know?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Had to put locktite on my trunnion bolts since they come loose every ride.

unfortunately, the conical washers fell out and I don't remember which way they're supposed to face. anyone know?
    Flat side goes towards the shock. Good luck. I felt like I needed a third hand getting the shock bolts back in on the Offering even using a little grease to hold the washers in place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    ^^^ yeah, it is a super pain to do. much swearing involved.

mtbr member
    Still having a knocking sound over roots/chunky terrain. All bolts are tight and there is some chain slap knocking noise but this is driving me crazy.

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Still having a knocking sound over roots/chunky terrain. All bolts are tight and there is some chain slap knocking noise but this is driving me crazy.
    I have found that there are 2 areas where chainslap is a problem with The Offering:

1. The underside of the seat stay along the inner edge for a distance covering about 10cm in front of the rubber protector - if you have a look there you will see a lot of paint chipped off where the chain is hitting the frame.
    2. The lower portion of the integrated chain guide just under the chain - if you bounce the chain off this hard plastic it is noisy.
    I applied mastic tape to both these areas and it quietens it a lot.

I also had a knocking sound from my Superdeluxe shock on my Following MB until I got it Tractive tuned which sorted it. I could replicate the noise when stationary by just bouncing on the saddle to cycle the rear suspension. I think the Offering has an updated version of the SD so I don't know if they are also prone to the same knocking sound as the previous version. It's certainly something to consider if you can eliminate the chainslap and the knocking sound is still there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Anyone have much time on the RS super deluxe coil? Half the price of an 11-6, half the performance?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Everyone I have spoken with have said it is worth it to "upgrade" to the Fox DPX2. Better small bump compliance and doesn't bottom out nearly as much. Definitely much more than 50% of performance. What that figure is, who knows. 80+%?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm looking for info on coil shocks but I'll keep that in mind.

So far the 2 options I've come up with is RS super deluxe and 11-6. Not finding much else.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Whoops, missed the coil part. Sorry about that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Is there a travel reduction spacer inside the offering shock? there is one in the calling shock. that thing bounces around inside the shock and can make some noise in the right kind of bumps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post

So far the 2 options I've come up with is RS super deluxe and 11-6. Not finding much else.
    CCDB CS and the Marzocchi Bomber come in 185x55 Trunnion mounts!

mtbr member
    Anyone have much time on the RS super deluxe coil? Half the price of an 11-6, half the performance?
    I have been riding with a Super Deluxe coil for about 5 months. The SD was tuned for a Norco with M/M compression/rebound vs the stock L/L. For my riding I really like the coil. It handles chunk and roots with no issues and still climbs great. The air SD that was shipped with the bike was defective so I can't really compare the two. Lately I have been riding with a Float X2 and it has really made the Offering shine.

A local pro has a DHX2 that was custom made for him, but I noticed that the Giant Trance eBike has a 185x52.5 trunnion shock. If you could get the 4 digit code off that you could probably get your shop to order the shock and remove the 2.5mm reducer.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...e-eplus-sx-pro

edit to add Ohlins:
    https://www.ohlins.com/product/ttx-2...custom-series/
    Last edited by Calhoun; 04-11-2019 at 06:38 AM. Reason: add info
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miťrcoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Lately I have been riding with a Float X2 and it has really made the Offering shine.
    You prefer the float x2 to the SD coil?

Thanks Magsgrod, totally missed that zoke was making rear shocks again. The price is definitely right on that, anyone know much about that. Is it just a fox vanilla rc?

My last experience with a double barrel was not a great one but it sounds like they've fixed any issues they had? Anyone running one of these on an offering?

mtbr member

Thanks Magsgrod, totally missed that zoke was making rear shocks again. The price is definitely right on that, anyone know much about that. Is it just a fox vanilla rc?

My last experience with a double barrel was not a great one but it sounds like they've fixed any issues they had? Anyone running one of these on an offering?
    The Zoke is just an RC, Avalanche racing is tuning them as well which makes for a great shock for a decent price.

I'd have no hesitations on getting a new CCDB, I've had the new Inline air on a bike and one of the guys I ride with has the CCDB Air that he loves and has abused for a few years. They seem to have all the kinks worked out that plagued them in the past.

mtbr member

For the trails currently available in my area the X2 has been awesome. Good pedal platform, plenty of pop, and still handles the larger drops. I did add another volume reducer and that firmed things up and is riding even better now.
    Hopefully soon the snow will melt off and the more challenging trails will be ridable. Then I can make a comparison between the SD Coil and the X2. With my Calling I swapped between a DPX2 and a 11-6 depending on where I was riding. I will probably do the same with the two shocks I have for the Offering.

I have also had negative experiences with Cane Creek shocks and there a couple guys I know that are still having problems with the new ones. For me they are not worth the risk. But an Avy tune 'Zoke could be pretty killer.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quick shake down first ride. Loving the coils, never had coils before.

2.5 WT Aggressor on 32 ID rim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Evil OFFERING....-20190411_163101.jpg  

The Evil OFFERING....-20190411_163204.jpg  

The Evil OFFERING....-20190411_163129.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scottay View Post
    Quick shake down first ride. Loving the coils, never had coils before.

2.5 WT Aggressor on 32 ID rim.
    Looks sweet. What rims/hubs?

mtbr member
    Onyx hubs on LB asym. rims..

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yetiís announcement of their lunch ride 130 got me thinking about long shocking this bike. Do you all think a 57.5mm stroke bringing the travel to 147 would work or lead to sketchiness?

mtbr member
    Frame could probably handle it as itíll swing the rear tire into the seat tube without a shock. I feel like mine gets really close already on full compression in xlow though so you want to keep it in low.

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tbjorkman View Post
    Yetiís announcement of their lunch ride 130 got me thinking about long shocking this bike. Do you all think a 57.5mm stroke bringing the travel to 147 would work or lead to sketchiness?
    How would you do that? The next size up metric trunnion shock is 205x60.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It would require some custom work on a shock and I have no idea if that would even work so I could be unicorn hunting. Was trying to find out if the frame would even ďsupportĒ it.

mtbr member
    A few posts back, I remember reading that someone was experiencing a rattle from the internal dropper cable bouncing around in the frame. I am now getting this myself on my bike and it is driving me nuts! Anytime I go over chunky terrain, I can hear it. Anyone else experiencing this? Any tips or advice?

Paste eater
    Finally got my Offering. 160mm fork. -1 angleset. Have not measured HA but I quite like the geo. I have a Wreckoning and Following MB. Have also owned an Insurgent. Happy to answer any comparison questions. I'm still getting used to the Offering but I quite like it. Certainly a better all day bike than my Wreckoning. Despite a similiar build, it's nearly 3lbs lighter. With this set up, it feels quite capable but with a good more pep. Seat angle is a nice change as well.
    The Evil OFFERING....-jmiak8oi.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Finally got my Offering. 160mm fork. -1 angleset. Have not measured HA but I quite like the geo. I have a Wreckoning and Following MB. Have also owned an Insurgent. Happy to answer any comparison questions. I'm still getting used to the Offering but I quite like it. Certainly a better all day bike than my Wreckoning. Despite a similiar build, it's nearly 3lbs lighter. With this set up, it feels quite capable but with a good more pep. Seat angle is a nice change as well.

Name:	JMiAK8oI.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	505.4 KB 
ID:	1247040
    Awesome - I would love hear your thoughts between these bikes. Nothing to gain other than curiosity, though curious about the overlap with the Following MB. I own the Offering and its become my go-to everything bike. I currently run it with 150mm front in low. I have been debating trying it in 140mm front in xlow, which would be close to the current 150mm fork set-up, but with lower BB. However it works so good now, I don't want to mess with it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post

Name:	JMiAK8oI.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	505.4 KB 
ID:	1247040
    This is the same setup I'll be going for, or at least starting out with. Are you running it in low or x-low?

mtbr member
    the 2.5 Aggressor looks tight, anyone having issues with clearance ?

mtbr member
    I was tired of waiting on my Offering to arrive so I picked up used 17 Insurgent to hold me over. Iím having a blast on the Insurgent! So much it has me questioning the need for the Offering. Iím betting the Offering is faster, but not sure if it can match the Insurgents playfulness. I know a lot of you guys came off the Insurgent, what are your thoughts?

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by suspectsean View Post
    the 2.5 Aggressor looks tight, anyone having issues with clearance ?
    I've run a 2.5WT on all my Evils. Offering might have the most room? I also live in Colorado where it's quite dry.

Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn;
    I was tired of waiting on my Offering to arrive so I picked up used 17 Insurgent to hold me over. Iím having a blast on the Insurgent! So much it has me questioning the need for the Offering. Iím betting the Offering is faster, but not sure if it can match the Insurgents playfulness. I know a lot of you guys came off the Insurgent, what are your thoughts?
    I suppose it depends on wether you are a 27.5 or 29 guy. The insurgent was really the best 27.5 bike I owned. It was also 3 seasons ago so my memory has faded. One thing that is much better on the offering is seat tube angle. Offering is pedals a bit lighter as well. I'm now totally a 29er guy and find them faster and "funner".

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Has anyone else had a clunk at the top of their suspension stroke?

This is a used frame that I just built up but it was very lightly used (seller said only 2 months) and all the bearings feel good. All pivots are tight. It has the super deluxe air shock. I can feel and hear it when compressing the suspension but it seems to be only at the initial part of the stroke. It's almost like the shock seals are sticking and dry but I pulled the shock apart yesterday to pull out some of the volume reducers and I made sure to add some lube.

I tried to feel where it's coming from by moving my hand around to the top of the shock, the bottom of the shock and the delta links and I can't tell where it's coming from.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Offering

Finally got all parts to my offering and thanks to the hub for getting it out together. Only one ride on it so far Spencer/trace ridge, big rock trail but feels great first evil Iíve owned second bike coming off a 17 trance alloy.

Sorry for bad photo only one that would load.

Evil offering size small my boy blue color im 5í8 btw
    Custom yellow decals
    Invisframe
    Push 11/6 coil shock
    Ohlins coil 160mm fork 51offset
    Sram GX 12 speed eagle drivetrain
    GX 165mm crankset
    One up 32 oval chainring
    Mrp chainguide bashguard
    Magura MT7 brakes 203Front 180rear
    Renthal carbon bars 35x30mm rise 760wide
    Renthal apex 40mm stem
    29x2.5 maxxis dhf 3c exo front
    29x2.3 maxxis aggressor exo rear
    Race face arc30 offset wheels with flo yellow onyx hubs
    Cushcores
    Wtb pure pro saddle
    One up dropper 150mm w/ one up remote
    Odi grips
    HT meo3 yellow pedals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Evil OFFERING....-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anyone have a picture of a blue offering with orange or gold flat pedals? Trying to suss out of this will look cool or crap. Thanks!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

wretch
    If anyone's intersted i'm selling my 2019 36 Grip 2 @140mm off of my XL offering. Cheap. PM for photos and measurements. 51mm offset - 8" steerer. Less than 10 rides on the bike / fork.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Truckee Trash; 04-18-2019 at 11:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Fitzgerald View Post
    Anyone have a picture of a blue offering with orange or gold flat pedals? Trying to suss out of this will look cool or crap. Thanks!

Fanatik has a Calling in the build gallery with Orange Pedals. Not the exact color but its pretty close the Offering color.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

This is a used frame that I just built up but it was very lightly used (seller said only 2 months) and all the bearings feel good. All pivots are tight. It has the super deluxe air shock. I can feel and hear it when compressing the suspension but it seems to be only at the initial part of the stroke. It's almost like the shock seals are sticking and dry but I pulled the shock apart yesterday to pull out some of the volume reducers and I made sure to add some lube.

I tried to feel where it's coming from by moving my hand around to the top of the shock, the bottom of the shock and the delta links and I can't tell where it's coming from.
    Get a video up. Thatíll help. Post to YouTube then post the link here.

Ank
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    I am torn between this and the calling. anyone can share their experience switching from one to another?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    PM sent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Reading through this page, sounds like some of you may have the lemon shock's sent from the factory.

A batch of shocks were shipped missing some internals, so riders were getting unusual sounds and blowing through the first part of the travel according to a local evil dealer. Thought that might of been the root of my problem, but it wasn't.

My offering is so loud that it is also driving me nuts. Can't tell where it is originating but don't think it is the rear derailleur cable. I'll investigate wrapping the dropper cable and looking at the chain stay.

On a side note, I don't see the point of the Following MB (which I had) now that I have an Offering. Better in every way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    For you invisiframe folks, did you have to remove the brake lines to install it?

EDIT: and the derailleur?
    Last edited by lardo5150; 04-21-2019 at 09:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Anyone happy riding the Offering with a 140mm fork? Or is it a given to bump up at least to 150?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BossLog View Post
    Anyone happy riding the Offering with a 140mm fork? Or is it a given to bump up at least to 150?
    Hey Early,

Keep your hands off the trim!

Iím running a Helm at 140 and like it. Still maneuverable and it soaks up the biggish stuff. The Helm is nice because itís ďeasyĒ to change the travel. I will probably change it to 150 at some point and time just to try it out. Pretty happy with it as of now.

mtbr member
    Haha - I was actually going to ask this, though in the reverse scenario. I have been riding the Offering in low with 150mm Fox 36 GRIP2 for some time now. It feels really good. I do wonder how it will feel and handle with the fork at 140mm. However, this is not an easy switch so I have been lazy to do this and don't want to mess with fire because it feels really good now. I think at 140mm the bike will feel a bit quicker in its handling and snappier because of the shorter travel. I think aspects of this is more dialing in the geometry and its corresponding feel.

Bikemag bible discusses this a little bit.

We should meet up and swap bikes!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hawker800mech View Post
    Hey Early,

Iím running a Helm at 140 and like it. Still maneuverable and it soaks up the biggish stuff. The Helm is nice because itís ďeasyĒ to change the travel. I will probably change it to 150 at some point and time just to try it out. Pretty happy with it as of now.
    My pike could only be up-leveled to a 140 (from 130). Can't say I am being held back in anyway. I'm not a huge sender thoughÖ

I am curious about the 150 feel and the Helm might be the next fork I buy. Running their cranks and love them and love both are made in the USA. From what I read, changing the travel sounds like a matter of putting spacers in. My only hesitation is it sounds like it might have too much adjustability.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Ank View Post
    I am torn between this and the calling. anyone can share their experience switching from one to another?
    I have both and this may sound like a stupid comment, but bear with me. Coming from a Calling the Offering feels very much like what I would imagine a Calling would feel like if you put 29 wheels on it and made it longer.

I have a 150 fork on my Offering and a 140 on the Calling - both Mediums. The Calling is the most fun bike I have owned and is amazingly agile. It changes direction in a heartbeat, is easy to hop and is super capable. The Offering has the advantages of the 29 wheels in rollover and is more stable in chunk with the longer travel and wheelbase. But, it's still very fun.

The Calling has a shorter reach and slacker STA, so I find I need to consciously keep my weight a little more rearward compared to the Offering. It's no big deal and I only notice the first ride after being on my Offering for awhile.

Regarding the suspension, the Offering seems a bit firmer. The pedaling platform is excellent, and easily as good as my old Yeti 5.5. The Calling is plusher and still a good pedaler, but not as good as the Offering, but I have no complaints about it.

The nice part about both bikes is that the STA is steeper than the other Evil models so those of us with longer legs can deal with the longer seatpost length without being too far back.

If you want a small-wheeled fun machine, get the Calling. If you want a super capable trail bike, the Offering is a fantastic choice. That said the overlap of fun/capable is enough that you can't go wrong with either one.

I find myself grabbing the Calling for tighter, twisty trails and the Offering for chunkier days these days. I really love them both.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    My only hesitation is it sounds like it might have too much adjustability.
    Donít let that keep you from trying out the Helm. Yes, you can play with settings every time you ride. I have made a handful of adjustments and am very happy with the performance so far. It is glued to the ground when hitting the rough stuff. See what other people are setting theirs to and go from there. Now that the price has dropped itís a no brainer - I was able to use a sales code which dropped the price even more. Win win!

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Picture right after I finished the build. First ride was a mud bath.

The Evil OFFERING....-9329bfe3-a52b-4d21-a596-253c89f88892.jpg

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I ran it with a 150mm 2018 fox 36 with for a few months and swapped a few times between that and a 2018 Lyrik 140mm from my Following MB. Both forks have a Vorsprung Luftkappe installed. I prefer it with the 140mm fork as I feel it corners better and feels more balanced. The 150mm fork did give me slightly more confidence on steep terrain but the difference wasn't really huge. I measured the axle to crown on both these Luftkappe modified forks and the Lyrik at 140mm was around 5mm less than the fox 36 at 150mm.

Ank
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mrallen View Post
    I really love them both.
    thank you for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nel View Post
    I ran it with a 150mm 2018 fox 36 with for a few months and swapped a few times between that and a 2018 Lyrik 140mm from my Following MB. Both forks have a Vorsprung Luftkappe installed. I prefer it with the 140mm fork as I feel it corners better and feels more balanced. The 150mm fork did give me slightly more confidence on steep terrain but the difference wasn't really huge. I measured the axle to crown on both these Luftkappe modified forks and the Lyrik at 140mm was around 5mm less than the fox 36 at 150mm.
    Thanks!!! I guess its time for me to try this out!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    I think at 140mm the bike will feel a bit quicker in its handling and snappier because of the shorter travel. I think aspects of this is more dialing in the geometry and its corresponding feel.

I don't have an Offering yet or I'd do that. Down (me and 1000 other people) to a Offering, Ripmo, SB130, GG Smash or that Revel Rascal.

Always thought XLow on my Insurgent was a bit unnerving on steep chunk. Is the Offering better in this regard?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hawker800mech View Post
    Hey Early,

Squidbillies for life!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nel View Post
    I have found that there are 2 areas where chainslap is a problem with The Offering:

1. The underside of the seat stay along the inner edge for a distance covering about 10cm in front of the rubber protector - if you have a look there you will see a lot of paint chipped off where the chain is hitting the frame.
    2. The lower portion of the integrated chain guide just under the chain - if you bounce the chain off this hard plastic it is noisy.
    I applied mastic tape to both these areas and it quietens it a lot.

I also had a knocking sound from my Superdeluxe shock on my Following MB until I got it Tractive tuned which sorted it. I could replicate the noise when stationary by just bouncing on the saddle to cycle the rear suspension. I think the Offering has an updated version of the SD so I don't know if they are also prone to the same knocking sound as the previous version. It's certainly something to consider if you can eliminate the chainslap and the knocking sound is still there.
    Lol.

This is exactly what I've had! I also found the cable outer for the rear mech would rattle around, so I've put some Sugru into the cable ports, which stops the cable rattling.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirttrackin280h View Post
    A few posts back, I remember reading that someone was experiencing a rattle from the internal dropper cable bouncing around in the frame. I am now getting this myself on my bike and it is driving me nuts! Anytime I go over chunky terrain, I can hear it. Anyone else experiencing this? Any tips or advice?
    That was me.

Two things ...

With the Reverb you get a rubber hose cover - it looks like a rubber thimble with a hole all the way through, if you put that on your dropper cable, at the dropper end, it will stop the internal hose hitting the frame, as it's too small to go over the internal hose.

Second thing... The cable outer also hits around inside the seat stay. I put some Sugru around and in the entry and exit ports, and this has stopped the cable rattling.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I also made some chainslap protectors out of Sugru. Previously I had been using foam, but this seems like a cleaner solution, stole the idea from Specialized

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Got a DM from another member on here about this saying that I should probably give Evil a call. Turns out there is a recall issue from SRAM for certain super deluxe air shocks. If you have a serial # of 35T80000000 or lower then yours has the issue and should be returned to SRAM, they want you to work through your LBS for this. Mine is an affected serial # so it will have to go back, probably going to wait for my coil to show up before sending it back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I also made some chainslap protectors out of Sugru. Previously I had been using foam, but this seems like a cleaner solution, stole the idea from Specialized

Great idea!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Finally got out for my first ride. Got it built last week and then came down with some sort of bronchitis or some nasty crap and basically laid in bed for a week. Can't give too thorough of a review after a short 1 hour ride but everything felt pretty good, felt more playful than the sentinel I'm coming off of which was the goal.

I've still got a couple of parts I'm waiting on, -1 angleset should be here this week and I'm having Avalanche build me a Marzocchi CR shock which might be a few weeks out.

Currently running it at 160 up front and x-low. It felt like the front end pushed a little bit in corners but not too bad. I'll wait to see how it feels with the angleset but may lower it to 150.

mtbr member
    After tinkering a bit, I've settled on 150mm fork, X-low, 170mm cranks, on my large. Feels great to me. If I go somewhere with rocky, techy climbing, a la St George, I'll put it in Low.

Paste eater
    Finally got out for my first ride. Got it built last week and then came down with some sort of bronchitis or some nasty crap and basically laid in bed for a week. Can't give too thorough of a review after a short 1 hour ride but everything felt pretty good, felt more playful than the sentinel I'm coming off of which was the goal.

I've still got a couple of parts I'm waiting on, -1 angleset should be here this week and I'm having Avalanche build me a Marzocchi CR shock which might be a few weeks out.

Currently running it at 160 up front and x-low. It felt like the front end pushed a little bit in corners but not too bad. I'll wait to see how it feels with the angleset but may lower it to 150.
    Angleset + x-low. That's slack!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Anyone have any creaking noises on their offering?
    I follow the Evil Owners facebook group, and I see people posting a lot about creaks and other noises on their Evil's.

Curious if this has been an issue on your Offering. When mine arrives in 3 weeks, I want to take some preventative measures to make sure this does not happen.

Are you removing all the linkage bolts and greasing them? Greasing the chain guide bolts (which seems odd but that was mentioned). Are you using something other than grease?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
    I follow the Evil Owners facebook group, and I see people posting a lot about creaks and other noises on their Evil's.

Curious if this has been an issue on your Offering. When mine arrives in 3 weeks, I want to take some preventative measures to make sure this does not happen.

Are you removing all the linkage bolts and greasing them? Greasing the chain guide bolts (which seems odd but that was mentioned). Are you using something other than grease?
    Hey,

My bikes have been running smoothly, including the Offering. However, I do perform a bit of preventative (quality control) maintenance during the bike build process. For example, I lightly re-lube bolts (if needed) and use blue lock-tight on all the pivot hardware threads (torque to specs) when reassembling. Being in the PNW (i.e. wet riding, bike washes, shock maintenance), I do perform those steps a few times a year. One thing to note. Keep an eye on the needle bearing. They don't hold a ton of grease, but popping off their dust cover with an exacto blade allows easy access to re-greasing them. Maybe this is all overkill, but I prefer a little preventive maintenance over $$$ replacement.

Paste eater

I've owned a lot of Evils. They are no more prone to creaks than any other bike. Less creaky than my Santa Cruz bikes.

Paste eater
    Awesome - I would love hear your thoughts between these bikes. Nothing to gain other than curiosity, though curious about the overlap with the Following MB. I own the Offering and its become my go-to everything bike. I currently run it with 150mm front in low. I have been debating trying it in 140mm front in xlow, which would be close to the current 150mm fork set-up, but with lower BB. However it works so good now, I don't want to mess with it!
    I think the offering rides quite a bit different than the offering. I had a 140mm fork on my MB. My offering is the same weight and pedals better for me due to SA? I run it in low but have the -1 angleset. It's not a wrecker but with this setup, it's closer to the wrecker than a following without question IMO. I prefer the 160mm fork. I also prefer bigger bikes.

mtbr member
    I just got a very cheap FMB frame and swapped over the parts from my Tallboy. Sized up to the XL with a 31mm stem (have a L Offering). I'm running a 120mm fork on it in low and a 150mm fork on my Offering in x-low. This puts the STA's very close between the two. In my opinion, people complain about the FMB's climbing because they're over-forking it and slackening the STA too much. The tech climbing ability and traction on these bikes is fantastic. Also, I like a STA between 74 and 75 for flatter, pedally trails, and this is what my FMB is for. It's a lighter build, especially in the wheels and tires department. It weighs in about two pounds lighter than my Offering. I feel like they make a pretty solid pair now. Just wish the FMB was even lighter. May even get a Fox 34 SC for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    I just got a very cheap FMB frame and swapped over the parts from my Tallboy. Sized up to the XL with a 31mm stem (have a L Offering). I'm running a 120mm fork on it in low and a 150mm fork on my Offering in x-low. This puts the STA's very close between the two. In my opinion, people complain about the FMB's climbing because they're over-forking it and slackening the STA too much. The tech climbing ability and traction on these bikes is fantastic. Also, I like a STA between 74 and 75 for flatter, pedally trails, and this is what my FMB is for. It's a lighter build, especially in the wheels and tires department. It weighs in about two pounds lighter than my Offering. I feel like they make a pretty solid pair now. Just wish the FMB was even lighter. May even get a Fox 34 SC for it.
    This is almost exactly my plan. XL V1 went out the door for a L Offering. Hoping to eventually scoop an XL MB and put on an RS-1 or similar and maybe even -1 AS with light wheel/tire combo. Or maybe even 27.5+?? Sounds like a great duo, Offering + XC MB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rccp View Post
    This is almost exactly my plan. XL V1 went out the door for a L Offering. Hoping to eventually scoop an XL MB and put on an RS-1 or similar and maybe even -1 AS with light wheel/tire combo. Or maybe even 27.5+?? Sounds like a great duo, Offering + XC MB.
    I'm actually thinking of lengthening my current Fox 34 to 130mm and keeping it for a 27.5+ setup, then getting the SC for 29. But... $$$$. Would be a pretty amazing combo. Also, failed to mention that I got a Float DPS shock for it. Pretty good so far.

mtbr member
    So I finally got off my a$$ and lowered the fox 36 fork to 140mm based on the recent comments. Only 1 ride so far, the bike does feel more balanced and cornering has improved by a significant amount. It looses a little of its aggressive edge, but its still very capable. I am running it in low at the moment. The improvement in cornering is the bigger and more important selling point.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anyone successfully running a 30t oval ring?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidde View Post
    Anyone successfully running a 30t oval ring?
    I am but am actually having an issue with it. It seems to clear everything ok, in the smallest gear in the rear it may be rubbing on the bottom of the upper chain guide just barely. The problem I'm having is that the chain has fallen off the front ring a couple of times during rowdy bumpy downhill sections. Because the ring is oval half of the time it fits in the chain guide well enough to hold the chain on but the other half of the time the chain ring is small enough that the guide isn't doing much in the way of keeping the chain on. I'm not sure yet what to do but am thinking I may have to switch back to a normal ring, either that or go to a 32t oval ring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Yo. So Iíve had quite a few creaks. I live and ride mostly in Arizona. Itís always dusty and dry. I chased one creak all the way to the main pivot and derailleur hanger. I would say I disassemble, clean and re grease the linkage and shock hardware every 5 rides, torque to spec, the headset i do every 10 rides or so. And i am Very careful when i wash the bike. Sometimes it creaks even after I do the maintenance. I had an Ď18 Mach 6, a first gen Hightower and a nomad4. None of those bikes creaked EVER. I chop it up to just, thatís the way the cookie crumbles. I always inspect all moving parts after a big ride or a gnarly ride. My house was built in 04 and it still creaks lol as long as everything is moving freely (no knocks or notches) and you keep up with basic maintenance, its all good. Iíve had creaks come up right after maintenance, chased it for a couple hours, said F IT, rode my bike and it didnít make any noise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    bike threads require moar pictures

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Haha - I was actually going to ask this, though in the reverse scenario. I have been riding the Offering in low with 150mm Fox 36 GRIP2 for some time now. It feels really good. I do wonder how it will feel and handle with the fork at 140mm. However, this is not an easy switch so I have been lazy to do this and don't want to mess with fire because it feels really good now. I think at 140mm the bike will feel a bit quicker in its handling and snappier because of the shorter travel. I think aspects of this is more dialing in the geometry and its corresponding feel.

Bikemag bible discusses this a little bit.

I second this. I built mine out with a 150 36 and havenít bothered with the flip chip.... until this week. When you look at the numbers a lot of bikes (over forked) lose more SA than the offering when the flip the chip. The biggest change is in the BB height, which in the xlow is the same as my old Hightower.

All of this set up stuff is preference. I love this bike SO MUCH. It does everything I ask it to and when i get into trouble (and my form chokes up) the bike carries me through. When I slow down and play is when it becomes the most fun. Hands down. I thoroughly enjoy this bike on all types of terrain even with a coil in the rear. Rough steep and rowdy, flow fast and jumpy. I have truly found the do it all bike and I couldnít be happier.

mtbr member
    Have to agree with Jsray. Iíve tried just about every set-up from 140mm to 160mm with both low and x-low using both and MRP coil and Fox 36 (ASC3 conversion) and they all ride great. It really does come to down to preference and where you want the ďedgeĒ to be. In 140mm and low, it climbs like a beast. No front wheel wander, no need to move to the front of the saddle and good pedal clearance for technical climbing. At the other end with 160mm and x-low, it provides absolute confidence to launch drops and provides more margin for error on chunky, steep trails. After multiple changes over the last few months, Iíve finally settled on 150mm Fox and x-low. For the trails I ride, 2000 ft of climbing is required but I only do it to get the pleasure of the descent. Head and seat angle are within reason so still a capable climber and the lower BB and extra wheelbase shine on the DH. After all, we are only talking about half degree and millimeters changes. Definitely the best of both worlds for my mostly mountain trails.

The Evil OFFERING....-73e3f7d5-e0c9-45aa-a000-2921a956730d.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    Iím so close to doing almost the exact same thing. Iíve got a XL Tallboy and XL Insurgent. The only thing holding me back is the potential lack of climbing ability from the Following MB. Anything you could add to the Tallboy/ Following comparison? I feel like the STA might even be better on the Following with your XC fork variant. Howís it working out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwick View Post
    Iím so close to doing almost the exact same thing. Iíve got a XL Tallboy and XL Insurgent. The only thing holding me back is the potential lack of climbing ability from the Following MB. Anything you could add to the Tallboy/ Following comparison? I feel like the STA might even be better on the Following with your XC fork variant. Howís it working out?
    I would say that the climbing traction is better and the seating position is significantly better, which is the main reason I got it. It's 74.8 vs 73 on the STA. That and I was on a large Tallboy, which was too small for me. However the Tallboy definitely felt more spritely.

I've been wondering why so many people complain about the STA on the FMB. Probably because they're throwing 140mm forks on it. Also, the actual STA is pretty slack, so a long seatpost can create a slacker effective STA. But look at a bike like the SB100. Its STA is 74.3. No one is complaining about that bike.

mtbr member
    Probably not a good idea but would it be ok to short-shock the Offering? (185x50)

Just wondering if it's ok to experiment with a shock off my Calling before I send it in to get it modified for the Offering...
    °Geaux Tigers! - °Visca el BarÁa!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've got a few rides now with -1 angleset, 160 up front and running in x-low including this past weekend in Moab. This thing is a weapon. Probably the most fun bike I've ever owned. It replaced a sentinel. The sentinel was great at going fast in a straight line through chunk but it felt like it was glued to the ground. The offering has this crazy mix of being willing to mob and plow through the rough but also wants to jump and pop off of everything and corners so well.

I've got Avalanche building me a coil rear shock, really excited to get that on there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I just added a Push 11.6 shock. In short - the bike feels really good. The Super delux worked pretty well once I got it mostly dialed in, but with the Push I just don't think about it. It works really well and feels awesome.

mtbr member
    I've got a few rides now with -1 angleset, 160 up front and running in x-low including this past weekend in Moab. This thing is a weapon. Probably the most fun bike I've ever owned. It replaced a sentinel. The sentinel was great at going fast in a straight line through chunk but it felt like it was glued to the ground. The offering has this crazy mix of being willing to mob and plow through the rough but also wants to jump and pop off of everything and corners so well.

I've got Avalanche building me a coil rear shock, really excited to get that on there.

You may have mentioned this before, but is your fork offset 44 or 51mm?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    You may have mentioned this before, but is your fork offset 44 or 51mm?
    I think it's 43 actually. It's whatever Transition is spec'ing for the Sentinel because I reused my fork. Somewhat related to that, I will say the only thing so far I can say as a downside, and this is minor, is that the front end is pretty flip floppy on slow techy climbs. I noticed while climbing up to Captain Ahab on Sunday. It's not a big deal, definitely not a deal breaker, but I don't remember the sentinel doing this quite as much. I'm running a 35mm stem and 800mm bars, the same setup that came off the sentinel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Out of curiosity, what coil shock are you having Avalanche build for you? I've been in communication with Craig about a tuned Marzocchi Bomber CR for my Offering, but I also just saw on Fox's website that they're making a trunnion-mount DHX2 in 185 x 55 for 2020. I know Craig prefers the performance (for tuning) of the Bomber CR/Fox Van over the DHX2, so I'm wondering what you're doing. It would be great if you could share your thoughts on the coil's performance once you've got it installed. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    He's building a Bomber CR for me. I'll definitely update once I get it, its a couple of weeks out at least.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Excellent, thanks, super interested to hear how you like it.

aka bOb
    My rendition, now to get it dirty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Evil OFFERING....-20190509_185016.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Probably not a good idea but would it be ok to short-shock the Offering? (185x50)

Just wondering if it's ok to experiment with a shock off my Calling before I send it in to get it modified for the Offering...
    I'm curious about doing this too as I also have both bikes. The offering has a coil, but it would be nice to be able to swap in the calling air shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1078 View Post
    I'm curious about doing this too as I also have both bikes. The offering has a coil, but it would be nice to be able to swap in the calling air shock.
    I totally get why you guys want to do this and have considered it myself. I think itís obviously totally fine as long as you check clearances through the travel range, but youíre definitely going to lose some of the design intent by only utilizing a portion of the leverage ratio i.e. depending on whether youíre reducing length or stroke, youíll be giving up small bump sensitivity or progressiveness, respectively. Probably wonít be terrible and canít hurt to try. Good luck, and report back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    My rendition, now to get it dirty.
    Looks great, love the accents!

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1078 View Post
    Itís perfectly fine, the shocks have the same eye-to-eye. You will basically end up with a ~125mm travel bike instead of 140.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Anybody having some issues w/ their headsets? Noise from cockpit on fast chunder? Creaking/almost snapping sounds on chatter?

I noticed the rubber spacer on the top cap spinning pretty freely today by hand. Is this normal? And is the FSA Orbit still the only headset avail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrakt51 View Post
    Anybody having some issues w/ their headsets? Noise from cockpit on fast chunder? Creaking/almost snapping sounds on chatter?

I noticed the rubber spacer on the top cap spinning pretty freely today by hand. Is this normal? And is the FSA Orbit still the only headset avail?
    I warrantied the front triangle on my medium Offering from the get-go. I could press the top cup in and out with my fingers. Rather than stick with the FSA I went with a White Industries ZS44 top and a Cane Creek ZS62 40 Series lower with a 110 Hellbender bearing.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Rubber spacer? Iíve never heard of a rubber spacer in the headset and my offering does not have one. Do others have a rubber spacer? Where is it? If youíre able to spin any thing, the headset needs to be tightened or you need another spacer to be able to tighten things down.
    I do have some disturbing chain slap that is concerning. I think itís from running an xt derailleur with a bad clutch that Iím working to address.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The Evil OFFERING....-2dfc8a25-7fe6-448f-8149-ea6096f9c9fa.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidde View Post
    Rubber spacer? Iíve never heard of a rubber spacer in the headset and my offering does not have one. Do others have a rubber spacer? Where is it? If youíre able to spin any thing, the headset needs to be tightened or you need another spacer to be able to tighten things down.
    I do have some disturbing chain slap that is concerning. I think itís from running an xt derailleur with a bad clutch that Iím working to address.
    This bad boy. If I tighten my headset anymore, Iíll probably crush my headtube.

FWIW, I also have some chain-slap but I'm running a 30t in front.

mtbr member
    The rubber gasket on mine will spin freely with the headset tightened to torque. Just a water seal and not meant to be crushed. I also donít have any noise from the front end though. I just the annoying chain slap, der cable rattle in the chainstay, and some kind of torque creak from the cassette, hub, der area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    chain slap could definitely be a non functioning clutch. I was getting some slap and also having the chain drop occasionally. Tightening up the clutch seems to have fixed it.

mtbr member
    How much sag are you guys running with the 11/6

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm interested in sag, psi, and rider weight on different shocks.

I have the DPX2. I'm now running it with 195psi. That gives me 17mm of sag, which is 30% of stroke. I am 170lbs. Evil recommends 18.9mm on both DPX2 and Super Deluxe, which is technically 34% of the 55mm stroke. I might drop a few psi. Chain slap might be reduced with a little more plushness. I'm finding I want to tune suspension based on trail more than I did on for 2012 SB95.

The sag indicator on the bike is nice for ballpark sag, but I find it difficult to read any difference with+ or - 10psi. Measuring the O-ring seems way more accurate.

mtbr member
    How much sag are you guys running with the 11/6
    Iím at almost 20mm with almost no preload on the spring. Feels great but I may add a turn just to bring the ride height up a smidgen for climbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I may need to revaluate my hearing. Just got this from the guys at Evil.

ďSelect SuperDeluxe shocks sold on Offering frames have an issue with the shim stack that causes an audible clunk. This should be relatively apparent throughout the shock's stroke.Ē

mtbr member
    I may need to revaluate my hearing. Just got this from the guys at Evil.

ďSelect SuperDeluxe shocks sold on Offering frames have an issue with the shim stack that causes an audible clunk. This should be relatively apparent throughout the shock's stroke.Ē
    I had this issue with my SD. The clunk sound wasn't singular but more like some extra chainslap. Really noticeable when swapping between the air and coil, the air shock made the bike noisy. Pretty sure Evil has the range of serial numbers affected by this issue. I would call them up and check your frame number and shock number against their list.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    FINALLY got my offering!

I put a 200mm centerline rotor up front.
    I have 20mm bracket installed.

Everything is good, but I notice when I put pressure on the bike with it leaning hard to the left while riding, I can hear the rotor hitting something.
    I can't find what it is hitting, tried multiple ways but it seems there should be enough clearance.
    I did notice I could hear the pads rubbing when I leaned the bike to the left.

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    @lardo5150....I had the same issue on the rear with XTR/freeza rotors recently. Turns out the pads were worn down (transfer from an old bike) and the contact point was not centered between the pistons. The left piston was much further out than the right side. This caused the rotor to contact the inside edge of the caliper just barely on hard left leans.

On the Shimanoís, the fix was to remove the caliper and push the pistons all the way back in. Reinstall with the rotor centered between the caliper grooves and then pump the pads out until they make contact. Once they were grabbing near the centered position, I loosed and let then self align to get rid of any run. Problem solved.

Name:  7A91FE90-977C-4254-8A8B-65E245CC59BD.jpeg
Views: 1490
Size:  20.3 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Nice! Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The Evil OFFERING....-img_7199.jpg
    chain slap could definitely be a non functioning clutch. I was getting some slap and also having the chain drop occasionally. Tightening up the clutch seems to have fixed it.
    For me, after a bunch of fiddling, I realized the clutch is functioning. If I went down any sort of rocky staircase, it sounded like the rear end was going to fall off--don't really want to be thinking about that on some hairy technical section. Even with a functioning clutch, the chain would slap the underside of the chainstay. I put some auto/marine weather seal tape on the underside of the chain stay (on top of Evil's protection). All is quiet and I now love this bike. I think it looks fine. The protection from evil is too hard. Sound transfers right through to carbon triangle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Nice! Thanks!
    One thing to try after doing Stupordave's suggestion is to make sure both pistons are moving evenly when you pull the lever. Sometimes one will get stuck. If that's the case, you can free it up by holding the good piston in place and pulling the lever a few times. The stuck piston should start moving at that point. Then you just reset them.

mtbr member
    I have 2 decent rides on my 140/140 Offering and am really happy with it. Itís definitely my favorite 29Ē to date. I canít believe how much more playful it feels over the SB130, Sentinel, Rallon, and more. The one bike I keep comparing it to (because it blew me away) is my Insurgent. The Insurgent plain made me a better rider. I could bunny hop, jump, manual, carve, unlike anything Iíve ever experienced. Iím trying to get that same stoke on my Offering. Comfort, weight, suspension is all there, but I think the sheer height and length are the main factoring differences. I want to get more rides on it before tinkering, but has anyone stuck with 140/140 Xlow?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    140/140 xlow here. No plan to go back unless I change to a longer travel fork. It rips in this setting.

mtbr member
    140/140 xlow here. No plan to go back unless I change to a longer travel fork. It rips in this setting.
    Thanks for the reassurance. I live in super rocky terrain and the only thing I worry about is pedal strikes. Do you have any issues?
    Last edited by jpfurn; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    On rare instances when Iím not paying attention but itís a non issue for me.

mtbr member
    On rare instances when Iím not paying attention but itís a non issue for me.
    Iím not sure if Iím just getting more comfortable with the bike, but after switching to x-low w/ 140 Pike it feels amazing! I went on a rugged trail ride to test out pedal clearance and didnít have any unexpected strikes. I love this bike!

mtbr member

The Evil OFFERING....

Anyone know the frame weight for a large Offering?

Also, the Evil website says the minimum chainring size is 30. Has anyone tried a 28? Whatís the issue with a smaller chainring, chai stay rub?
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    Anyone know the frame weight for a large Offering?

Also, the Evil website says the minimum chainring size is 30. Has anyone tried a 28? Whatís the issue with a smaller chainring, chai stay rub?
    Not sure on frame weight (my full coil medium build is 32.5lbs) but tried an oval 30 tooth...with no success. A chainring smaller than 30 basically rests the chain on the plastic integrated guide. The chain guide becomes a chain ejector.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupordave View Post
    Not sure on frame weight (my full coil medium build is 32.5lbs) but tried an oval 30 tooth...with no success. A chainring smaller than 30 basically rests the chain on the plastic integrated guide. The chain guide becomes a chain ejector.
    Same here and had to settle on a 30t round and that is as small as one can go.

mtbr member

The Evil OFFERING....

Thanks Stupor and Dundee.

Being an aging lard-ass I was hoping for the possibility of a bailout gear with a 28t ring. I wouldnít ďneedĒ it most of the time. But nice to have the option.

Iím eyeballing the Offering and the new Ripley. Iíve ridden neither. Did demo a Ripmo. Iíll try and line up an Offering demo.
    --Reamer

wretch
    Iím running a 30t oval - when the bike is weighted / sag it clears - thereís a little run when itís in the stand.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Last edited by kerpoise; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    As mentioned above I'm also running a 30t oval and definitely not having any "chain ejector" issues.

I've got 2 rides so far on my new Avalanche built Marzocchi Bomber CR. Huge improvement from the RS super deluxe air that was on there. Excellent small bump compliance and stays really composed through fast rough stuff. I haven't hit anything big or flat with it yet but so far I'm really happy. No noticeable difference in pedaling performance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    As mentioned above I'm also running a 30t oval and definitely not having any "chain ejector" issues.

I've got 2 rides so far on my new Avalanche built Marzocchi Bomber CR. Huge improvement from the RS super deluxe air that was on there. Excellent small bump compliance and stays really composed through fast rough stuff. I haven't hit anything big or flat with it yet but so far I'm really happy. No noticeable difference in pedaling performance.
    That's great to hear, glad you like how it works, especially the pedaling performance. Did you purchase your Bomber CR separately and then send it to Avalanche or were you able to get the entire setup directly from them? Thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I purchased it from my local shop and then shipped it to Avalanche. It seems like they prefer to do it this way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I purchased it from my local shop and then shipped it to Avalanche. It seems like they prefer to do it this way.
    Perfect, thanks, enjoy your new setup!

mtbr member
    I finally have my 11/6 dialed and it feels amazing. I got it set with a dh and trail setting and I have been leaving it in dh 90% of the time. Just ordered a 150mm acs3 conversion for my grip 2 36 which I have been running at 160.The Evil OFFERING....-img-1847-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Has anyone got a tapping noise/feeling from their Offering's back end? It's a bit like the chainstay slap I used to get on my Insurgent - but it's not that, as I've dampened the noise like I did on the Insurgent with Sugru.

I've plugged the cable ports for the rear mech, but I'm still getting the tap over rough ground.

I think I can feel it when dropping the rear wheel onto the ground too, as if a bushing is worn out.

I've changed the shock for a SD coil, and it did make a difference - but it's still there!

Anyone else?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Why not just get a Wreckoning?

Ank
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    Why not just get a Wreckoning?
    because geometry

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Has anyone got a tapping noise/feeling from their Offering's back end? It's a bit like the chainstay slap I used to get on my Insurgent - but it's not that, as I've dampened the noise like I did on the Insurgent with Sugru.

I've plugged the cable ports for the rear mech, but I'm still getting the tap over rough ground.

I think I can feel it when dropping the rear wheel onto the ground too, as if a bushing is worn out.

I've changed the shock for a SD coil, and it did make a difference - but it's still there!

Anyone else?
    I've been chasing a similar sound for weeks. Nothing in the rear end or shock area is loose and I've put mastic tape on the inside of the seatstay and lower chainguide to remove chainslap from the equation. When that didn't solve it, I started knocking on the seatstay with my knuckle and the right side definitely has something of a reverb/tapping while the left side doesn't. Thinking it was the derailleur cable rattling around inside the internal seatstay guide, I wrapped a little electrical tape around the housing every few inches to reduce any movement between the housing and the internal guide. The noise remains, albeit (perhaps) ever so slightly muted. The only thing I can think of now is that the guide itself is making contact with the inside of the seatstay. If that's the case, and I'm certainly not 100% sure it is, there's not much I can do about it, I'm afraid. The sound isn't terrible, but it would still be nice if it wasn't there at all.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kwolfkill View Post
    I've been chasing a similar sound for weeks. Nothing in the rear end or shock area is loose and I've put mastic tape on the inside of the seatstay and lower chainguide to remove chainslap from the equation. When that didn't solve it, I started knocking on the seatstay with my knuckle and the right side definitely has something of a reverb/tapping while the left side doesn't. Thinking it was the derailleur cable rattling around inside the internal seatstay guide, I wrapped a little electrical tape around the housing every few inches to reduce any movement between the housing and the internal guide. The noise remains, albeit (perhaps) ever so slightly muted. The only thing I can think of now is that the guide itself is making contact with the inside of the seatstay. If that's the case, and I'm certainly not 100% sure it is, there's not much I can do about it, I'm afraid. The sound isn't terrible, but it would still be nice if it wasn't there at all.
    That is exactly what I've done so far, and what's going on for me.

I could hear the same tap if I knocked the chainstay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Does anyone have experience riding this with a 150 fork and a -1 degree angleset, but leaving it in low? Iím thinking with a 44 offset fork that could get a little more slackness, maintain similar wheelbase, and a BB high enough to pedal over technical chunk. Gonna toss a leg over an offering this week, but I think itís set up with a standard headset and 160 fork. If I love it I wouldnít mind having one built as listed above, as numbers speaking it sounds great.

wretch
    Just wanted to share ... Been riding the Offering in Low since November. Just switched to X-low (140-140) and the bike has come alive in a whole new way - really really impressive. No pedal strikes yet! Do it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've got a handful more rides on my Avalanche tuned Bomber CR. Mostly steep, fast and rough with some jumps mixed in and a little bit of "normal" trail riding too. I'm in love with this bike (160mm up front, -1 angleset, x-low for reference). This is easily the most fun bike I've ever owned and now with this coil it feels so damn good. I've yet to even have to touch any of the rebound or compression settings on the shock, so far the way Craig from Avalanche set it feels perfect.

The combo of the Avalanche shock and Fox 36 with grip2 damper is the best suspension combo I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anyone tried the rockshox megneg yet on an offering??

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Iím not sure making this suspension even more progressive is good. Youíre likely better off with avalanche tuning.

mtbr member
    Evil E-bike

The Evil OFFERING....-img_5578.jpg

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Question -

Has anyone noticed on Evil's website that they are not even selling a build kit with the 140mm Pike up front? They are only offering 150mm Lyrik or Fox 36. Thoughts? Are most buyers preferring a longer fork?

Ank
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Riding 160mm fork myself.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    What are you 6'00 guys riding? Large or medium? Large seems big to me, but medium just a bit small

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Segers View Post
    What are you 6'00 guys riding? Large or medium? Large seems big to me, but medium just a bit small
    It would be better to know your reach or your ape index. I'm nearly 6' and a medium works for me since my reach is near my height. If I was on faster and wider trails, then I could size up and just run a shorter stem. As is, the wheelbase on the large would be a lot to contend with around here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I'm exactly 6' and bought a large with a 150mm fork. Running a 40mm stem which helps but still seems a bit big when trying to fling it around. Super steady and planted but not as playful as my large Following V1.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I am 6.00 and my arms are 6.11. i have a large btw, but i don't get along with it. Also 40mm stem. It feels great standing up. But lots of lower back pain while seated. I am so streched out. Saddle is slammed forward. Large following MB was perfect. Thinking about a medium

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I am 5'11" with a 6'6" wing span and I went with a medium. I think it is a pretty good fit, but Large most likely would have been fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I am 6.00 and my arms are 6.11. i have a large btw, but i don't get along with it. Also 40mm stem. It feels great standing up. But lots of lower back pain while seated. I am so streched out. Saddle is slammed forward. Large following MB was perfect. Thinking about a medium
    Iím 6í0Ē and demoíd a medium offering at DuPont with a 40mm stem. Best out of saddle climbing feeling ever. Rear tire like Velcro. Very playful compared to large Wreckoning. Seated climbing felt fine. Had to hold her back a little on the one chunder section. Thatís whatís sticking in my mind now. Medium for all day fun or large to plow knar? If large climbs out of saddle like medium Iím sold.
    Last edited by bcr42; 3 Days Ago at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Sounds like what i need. How about the ett on the medium? Too short or okay? I was gonna run a 50 stem.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sounds like what i need. How about the ett on the medium? Too short or okay? I was gonna run a 50 stem.
    If you wanna run a 50mm stem, then a medium is most likely for you.

The large is a long bike, and with a 35mm stem is spot on for me at 180cm, with +1 ape index, and perfect body proportions.

I've tried it with a 50mm stem, and it feels way too long and difficult to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I Came from a large ripmo with 50 stem. Perfect fit. So i tried the large offering at 50, 40 and 35 and it still feels really big compared to the ripmo. Sold the ripmo because it blew it's travel , even with 4 volume spacers in dvo Topaz. I guess i like a smaller more nimble ride. I was just worried about the shorter ETT of the medium. Wheelbase and reach is spot on for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The ETT on Medium with 40mm stem had me in a more upright position, no leaning. Knees only close to bar when turning really sharp (parking lot test). The medium came alive when out of saddle. After ride I was convinced I would get a medium. Something about the downhill chunder hits has me currently thinking large frame with 35mm stem instead. My climbs once again weíre awesome. My downhill Strava times were as slow as my hardtail on same trails. Looks like Iím dropping another $100 Friday to test a large.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Well keep me posted on your findings.

mtbr member
    I hate to detract from the continued sizing conundrum in this thread but feel compelled to post my build. I finally got my wheels laced up and put in a ride. Derby rims with I9 hydra hubs. Lyrik RC2 was lowered to 150mm and I installed the Push HC97 damper upgrade to complement the 11-6 rear shock. 1x11 XO drivetrain, RF cranks, and Sram Code brakes with Formula 203 and 180mm rotors.

5'11.5" on a med with a 55mm Enve M6 stem and 780mm bar. Weight with pedals came in at exactly 31lb. Stoked!

The Evil OFFERING....-evil_1.jpg

The Evil OFFERING....-evil_2.jpg

The Evil OFFERING....-evil_3.jpg

The Evil OFFERING....-evil_4.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The Evil OFFERING....

Great build!

Very interested in your ride review. Front and back Push parts...nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    Great build!

Very interested in your ride review. Front and back Push parts...nice!

I'm still dialing in the suspension but have two tokens in the fork. I'm going to maybe take a token out and see if it's better to have the air spring more linear with the HC97. Fork doesn't have that spiking feeling I had on my charger 1 but isn't as supple off the top either. The bike doesn't climb all that great but will try dialing up some low speed in the efficiency mode on the 11-6. It really shines on the downhill. Planted but surprising how responsive and sporty it is and made me glad I settled on the medium. I only did a parking lot test on a large and it felt much more tank-like. I was definitely trying to stay away from a long wheelbase 29r. Standing up and pedaling is also fine on the medium. The reach is great but I do have my seat slammed all the way back. I might be able to get away with a 40mm stem. I'm not noticing much pedal kickback and the enhanced acceleration when sprinting in between rocky sections or out of turns is noticeable (as compared to my bigger travel 27.5 Turner RFX). It's way more fun than my Ibis Ripley LS so that's going bye bye. That's my impression so far. Still tweaking things.

mtbr member
    @rockman what length are your cranks? You running Low or XLow?

Interesting seeing former Homers on other bikes :-)

mtbr member
    @rockman what length are your cranks? You running Low or XLow?

Interesting seeing former Homers on other bikes :-)
    Indeed but at some point even Homers move on. I went with 170mm after forever being a 175 guy and 180s Cook brothers back in the square taper days. They don't feel much different and lack of leverage is negligible. That said, I'm more of a spinner than masher. Haven't tried XLow yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND View Post
    I was one of the lucky few that got to spend quite a bit of time on the new Offering during development. I'm 6'-0" and almost always ride a large frame because of my ridiculously long arms. With this new geometry the Medium was perfect and that's what I'm staying with.

Darren
    Like you Iím 6í0Ē with 6í0 wingspan. Do you still recommend medium Offering or size large? I rode a medium and it climbed great. Downhills were fun, playful but not like my large wreckoning. Afraid large will not be as playful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    DO. NOT. DOWNSIZE. TO. SMALL.

Don't be afraid of the reach. It's part of forward geometry. It counters the style of riding in which you defensively move your hips back over the rear wheel, and instead has you comfortably/naturally in a more centered position. Think of the position you pedal out-of-the-saddle from--it's naturally forward of the saddle on a conventional bike, right? Does that position get good rear traction on steep climbs, compared to one in the saddle, on a conventional bike? Forward geo fixes these things, bringing your position that you carve from, typically with your hips back, to one that's closer to your out-of-the-saddle pedaling position. This makes it so you can get more rad pedaling in more sections, like immediately out of a turn. Add in the longer front center and wheelbase, and you'll have to confidence to go faster wherever there's open straightaways.

Problem with the Offering is that it has high AS and kickback, on top of not accepting large chainrings. I watched the promo video twice, and saw a total of 0.5 second of pedaling action--looked like they were appealing to the tradition of pushing and shuttling. With how much confidence this bike should offer, it's a shame that it's not so confident pedaling due to the kickback affecting your ability to pedal through the chunk. It could simply be a straight and rough fireroad without any serious bumps (fist sized rocks and ruts), and that kickback will still have you worried about pedaling, especially if you're forced to pedal a high RPM due to lack of high range in your gearing.

This Offering was made for the guys who fit size M. Taller folks who don't fit on M should look at the other models, like the Following in XL and Wreckoning in L or XL. I wouldn't advise F'ing with the geo either, such as sticking a longer fork on it--it really is dialed (in size M). It's just that a lot of other bikes have geo dialed too (e.g. SB150 M, Ripmo L), so it's competing on chassis stiffness, suspension, spec, value, warranty, etc.
    Based on your opinion of the offering, do you believe a 6í0Ē rider would benefit from a size medium? Want a playful all day bike thatís goes up and down. Currently on a large Wreckoning. Curious why you believe a large is not recommended. I tested a medium offering and it felt great but now I need to try large to compare.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Nice

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bcr42 View Post
    Like you Iím 6í0Ē with 6í0 wingspan. Do you still recommend medium Offering or size large? I rode a medium and it climbed great. Downhills were fun, playful but not like my large wreckoning. Afraid large will not be as playful.
    You're correct. The large will feel less playful than the medium. If the medium felt too unstable or cramped, I'd size up. It sounds like you enjoyed it though. I'm nearly 6' but 71' reach on a medium, 50mm stem, 780mm bars. The Offering is going to fall more on the trail side of bikes vs the wreck. Even with a coil and a longer fork, it's still playful.

Weapon of Choice
    Quote Originally Posted by taythecoug View Post
    Question -

Has anyone noticed on Evil's website that they are not even selling a build kit with the 140mm Pike up front? They are only offering 150mm Lyrik or Fox 36. Thoughts? Are most buyers preferring a longer fork?
    Im riding mine with a 160 fork and -1 Deg angleset in x-low

Super Unknown

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789