Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by VelkePivo View Post
    I've never understood this philosophy. Don't the trail conditions matter? Taking Whistler as an example, I would want to use all my travel on a gnarly tech line like Goat's Gully but not on a smooth easy jump line like Crank It Up or Blue Velvet. I'd rather have something in the tank for when I overshoot a jump or case one or the like.

If you're riding in smoothish or otherwise not-so-challenging terrain, if you set up your suspension so you use all of it, won't it be too mushy? Can you push off it to jump? Don't you have to then reset it for when you hit a more challenging trail?

Genuinely asking...
    This is always my philosophy... I set up my bikes to be fast and fun and use 90% of their suspension travel on a typical fast fun ride. The 10% buffer is for above and beyond rides, and screw up ups.

I ride with guys that bottom their 160mm forks on the same trails I'll hit at speed on my fat bike or a hard tail... Then they wonder why they're tapping out on the real gnar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    anybody ride this thing in 27.5 yet?

mtbr member

The Evil OFFERING....

I've never understood this philosophy. Don't the trail conditions matter? Taking Whistler as an example, I would want to use all my travel on a gnarly tech line like Goat's Gully but not on a smooth easy jump line like Crank It Up or Blue Velvet. I'd rather have something in the tank for when I overshoot a jump or case one or the like.

If you're riding in smoothish or otherwise not-so-challenging terrain, if you set up your suspension so you use all of it, won't it be too mushy? Can you push off it to jump? Don't you have to then reset it for when you hit a more challenging trail?

Genuinely asking...
    Can you control compression damping on your suspension? I think that should answer your question. You canít tune sag, psi for worst case. Or youíll only be using 60-80% of available travel. When it gets stout you increase comp damping. I think riders are too hung up for the most part in sag %. Whatever, you change it a bit for conditions either by psi or pre-load. Whatever works best for whatever youíre riding.

When you have jump lines flowing into drops, doubles step downs and step ups you want to have it all. I donít like clanking it. But itís surprising what you can tune for.

Use it all just not all the time.

Function in disaster, finish in style.
    Last edited by manitou2200; 1 Week Ago at 07:18 PM.
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    Hard to believe Iíve had this sitting in my office for the last 3 weeks. Hopefully one more week and the last piece of my build will come in and I can get it built and on the trails.

The Evil OFFERING....-f97dc956-8560-4a77-8a9c-0b7a32d2d87d.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I am looking to replace the GX cranks on my offering, with either X01, XX1, or some Next R cranks.

Unfortunately I am dumb when it comes to this stuff.

If I stay with SRAM, do I have to get the DUB crank, or can I go with the other versions? If I go with the other versions, will I need to replace the 73mmBSA bottom bracket?
    What about "boost" or GXP versions? I was told if I go with GXP version, I will not need to replace the BB, and there is no need to buy the boost version?

I could get a good price on a race face next r crank and bottom bracket. I know some do not recommend the RF BB. But if I went with the next r cranks, I will need a compatible BB. Can I throw any chainring on there? I am assuming when setting up the next r crank, it is just like setting any other crank up to align with Eagle?

Am I making sense? Sorry, I know nothing about this.

I found a decent deal on an XX1 Eagle crank (GXP). If I can use that without changing the default BB on the offering, I will buy that.

mtbr member
    You will certainly want a boost spaced crank so that your chainring will fit in the chainguide. Make sure your cranks and chainring are going to create a 51-52mm chainline.

If the gx cranks you have now are ďdubĒ cranks, any new ďdubĒ Sram cranks will work with your current bottom bracket.

Saving a few bucks on ďoldĒ gxp spindle cranks means youíll need a gxp bottom bracket... and race face will require a BSA30 bottom bracket.

Your chainring on the gxp crank would swap over to any Sram direct mount, but the x01 and xx1 chainrings are a bit fancier, if youíre on an upgrade rampage...
    A racface crank would require a raceface direct mount chainring.

My thoughts are that youíd be best getting a dub crank if you must upgrade.

My better question regarding the upgrade is, what problem are you trying to solve?
    Last edited by Pritchett; 1 Week Ago at 03:17 PM. Reason: Autocorrect

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    no problem, honestly, just trying to make the best bike I can as the wife allowed me a nice budget. I want to move to carbon cranks, to save some weight.

what is the BB on the Offering?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    What grips come on the bike? Is it the cheapo lock on evil grips, or the "palmerahanderson" grips?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupordave View Post
    Hard to believe Iíve had this sitting in my office for the last 3 weeks. Hopefully one more week and the last piece of my build will come in and I can get it built and on the trails.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F97DC956-8560-4A77-8A9C-0B7A32D2D87D.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	1223568
    Drools.......

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
    What grips come on the bike? Is it the cheapo lock on evil grips, or the "palmerahanderson" grips?
    The Following MB demos we received this summer had the Pamelahanderson's so I'd imagine the new kits will as well.

As for cranks/bb's you can use whatever you want. The gains you'll get performance-wise from switching from the GX to XX1 are minimal and as a big guy as you've mentioned elsewhere, I recommend you save your money. If money is no object then buy some Cane Creek eeWings where you'll get light and strong, but not cheap.

"Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    The Following MB demos we received this summer had the Pamelahanderson's so I'd imagine the new kits will as well.

As for cranks/bb's you can use whatever you want. The gains you'll get performance-wise from switching from the GX to XX1 are minimal and as a big guy as you've mentioned elsewhere, I recommend you save your money. If money is no object then buy some Cane Creek eeWings where you'll get light and strong, but not cheap.

wowser. $1000 bucks.
    I dont have that much money to burn, LOL. Thanks for the link though.

Ugh, I just ordered some of those grips from JensonUSA. I have a year to send them back so no big deal, just annoying.

I fix choppers
    wowser. $1000 bucks.
    I dont have that much money to burn, LOL. Thanks for the link though.
    We're all big guys here (in Georgia) and while some have XO cranks (that came with those kits) most of us have the most basic cranks available. I personally run X1 cranks and they've been trouble free. If I were to replace them I'd get another set of those or some Canfields.

Ugh, I just ordered some of those grips from JensonUSA. I have a year to send them back so no big deal, just annoying.
    Lotsa great grips to be had, but grips are like underwear and everyone has their own style. FWIW, I really like the Thick DMR Deathgrips.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY View Post
    We're all big guys here (in Georgia) and while some have XO cranks (that came with those kits) most of us have the most basic cranks available. I personally run X1 cranks and they've been trouble free. If I were to replace them I'd get another set of those or some Canfields.

Lotsa great grips to be had, but grips are like underwear and everyone has their own style. FWIW, I really like the Thick DMR Deathgrips.

OH, I like those, I did not see those before. I might swap out with Jenson. THANKS!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...fering-review/

Overall good review, but I disagree about not being playful. I found it easy to move around.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...fering-review/

Overall good review, but I disagree about not being playful. I found it easy to move around.
    Thanks for posting. To be fair, unless I missed it the author didn't say the Offering wasn't playful, just that the increased length "reduces some of the exceptional pop and live[li]ness that the Following and Wreckoning known for." To me that's an all-but irrefutable reality of physics. There's a reason DJ bikes and DH bikes aren't the same lengths. Unfortunately, there's just no escaping compromise when it comes to bikes.

wretch
    Has anyone seen information posted about seat tube insertion length - specifically looking at the XL. . . Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    FYI - now that I know that I really like the Offering. I will be tinkering with the different fork offsets. I initially purchased 160mm Fox grip2 with 44m offset. Through trying different combinations, I have ended up with the fork at 150mm in xlow. I went with the 44mm offset that this was going to be my big bike set-up with longer travel would potentially make the 44mm more appropriate. Now that I am using this as my go-to bike, the 51mm fork offset has been bugging me.

Furthermore, Evil's strong recommendation for the 51mm has remained spinning in my brain. Kevin W. provided me with some good feedback that I would like the 51mm offset.

Therefore, instead of purchasing a CSU with a 51mm offset, which costs about 50% of the fork, and requires swapping fork inners and lowers. I decided to purchase a 51mm grip2. This way I can do back to back testing (the scientist in me is curious) and it will be much easier to sell a whole fork as oppose to just a CSU.

More to follow....

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    FYI - now that I know that I really like the Offering. I will be tinkering with the different fork offsets. I initially purchased 160mm Fox grip2 with 44m offset. Through trying different combinations, I have ended up with the fork at 150mm in xlow. I went with the 44mm offset that this was going to be my big bike set-up with longer travel would potentially make the 44mm more appropriate. Now that I am using this as my go-to bike, the 51mm fork offset has been bugging me.

Furthermore, Evil's strong recommendation for the 51mm has remained spinning in my brain. Kevin W. provided me with some good feedback that I would like the 51mm offset.

Therefore, instead of purchasing a CSU with a 51mm offset, which costs about 50% of the fork, and requires swapping fork inners and lowers. I decided to purchase a 51mm grip2. This way I can do back to back testing (the scientist in me is curious) and it will be much easier to sell a whole fork as oppose to just a CSU.

More to follow....
    Sounds good. I am between a 140 and 150 fork.

You also owned a pivot switchblade? I would like to know how pedaling efficacy compare between the two (I ride a pivot now).

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post

More to follow....
    I debated myself for a while on which fork offset to go with for the Offering and ultimately decided on the 150mm/51mm Lyrik RC2 based on Evil's strong recommendation and that the bike was designed around that offset.

I'm curious if anyone is going to run DVO front and rear now that they offer a metric trunnion shock in 185x55.

2019 Evil Offering (on order)
    2019 Evil Wreckoning LB
    2018 Orbea Occam TR 27.5
    FOR SALE 2017 Pivot Switchblade Carbon

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quite a few rides in and not one pedal strike.. time to try xlow I think.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    So I was chatting with Evil, and they mentioned this:

"Don't forget you can tweak that Offering in a number of different way. The default fork offset is 51mm but you can also run 43 or 44mm fork offsets to increase the level of tight handling possible with all out trail shredding performance!"

I thought if you shorten the offset (from 51 to 44), you are actually INCREASING trail, and in theory, making the turning worse?
    They mentioned the above to me because I had told them I was trying to choose between the SB130 and Offering, and ended up going with the Offering, but if they update the geo on the Following, I would be in a world of hurt (because I would have to buy that bike also, lol). So they mentioned that above.

mtbr member

The Evil OFFERING....

So I was chatting with Evil, and they mentioned this:

"Don't forget you can tweak that Offering in a number of different way. The default fork offset is 51mm but you can also run 43 or 44mm fork offsets to increase the level of tight handling possible with all out trail shredding performance!"

I thought if you shorten the offset (from 51 to 44), you are actually INCREASING trail, and in theory, making the turning worse?
    They mentioned the above to me because I had told them I was trying to choose between the SB130 and Offering, and ended up going with the Offering, but if they update the geo on the Following, I would be in a world of hurt (because I would have to buy that bike also, lol). So they mentioned that above.
    https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/fork-offs...e-trail-342679

Summarizes it so i donít have to type

Itís a bit Ė but not exactly Ė like having a steep or a slack head angle. Lots of trail results in more stable steering but it also results in the front axle being a bit closer to you. So for all-out straightish speed sections the bike will feel shorter. But on twisty hairpins in steep terrain the bike will carve calmer and hold its line bette
    Read more at https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/fork-offs...kkOfCzG00DL.99

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    ok ok, so....

If I keep the offering at a 140m fork, but I decrease the offset from 51 to 44, I will be shortening the wheelbase, thus making the bike turn more easily, maybe even twitchy?

What about a 150 up front, with either a 44-41 vs 51?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    ok, I THINK I have the above post backwards.

This video was helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxbR4OjHeCU

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    ok, think I got it now (that video was helpful).

If I throw a 150 on there, the HA is decreasing (66.6 to 66.2), thus increasing trail, more stable.
    At that point i would have to increase the offset from 51 to something else to make it feel more "twitchy" (dont even think we can do that). Reducing the offset with the 150 fork from 51 to 44 or something, would make the steering even more "lazy"?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Evil recommends a 51mm offset. The offering doesn't have a very slack head angle so i'd go with 51. I think the short offset forks make sense on bikes with very, very slack head angles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jwren00 View Post
    I think the short offset forks make sense on bikes with very, very slack head angles.
    Not true... There's companies out there suggesting shorter offsets are better with steeper HA's as well as slacker! The "offset war" as I'm calling it seems to be driven more by the marketing men than it does actual science, I've spoken with designers of bikes about the pro's and con's of different fork offsets, and it all comes down to what you're trying to achieve I guess...

I haven't conducted true "back to back" tests, but have a fair amount of experience running 29ers (lots of them in fact, from 100mm to 160mm travel and everywhere inbetween) over the last 6 years, several with 46mm offset, several with 51mm offset and currently one with a new 42mm offset Rockshox Pike... Remember that the 51mm offset was a fairly recent introduction to the market (around the time the original Following came out, so back end of 2014/early 2015) that was pushed by the marketing men at Trek as they were desperately trying to make their 29ers more agile so that people coming from 26" wheels would buy them... But that's besides the point...

What's the difference? Well, in honesty, not that much! A 5mm increase or decrease in trail on the fork won't ruin the bike for sure... It's very subtle changes at most.

What I will say from experience is that the 51mm offset tends to steer a little quicker, but is less adept at holding a line (trail chatter and bumps will throw it off line easier). The 42mm offset is noticeable in how well it holds a line through the rough stuff, but at slower speeds it does require a little more effort to turn tighter corners, but when I say a "little", I mean a little... It's not huge differences! The 46mm middle ground forks, are, as you'd imagine, somewhere inbetween...

It's kinda like when the wheel size debate exploded... If you like twitchy, fast steering bikes, you'll always prefer 26" wheels. If you like super stable and hold their line and speed through the rough stuff, you'll prefer 29ers. For the middle ground, there is of course 27.5...

My 2penneth, if pushed... I'd say that on a shorter travel trail or XC bike, maybe 100-130mm up front, the slightly sharper steering of a 51mm offset can be preferential sometimes. What I found at the other end of the spectrum, was that on my Evil Wreckoning with 160mm up front @ 51mm offset, I would often feel like the front was going to tuck under (and it did a couple of times) without enough weight over the front wheel, which demanded a slightly more over the front agressive riding style and a distrust in most tyres I tried up front on it except for the Schwalbe Magic Mary. I would like to have tried a 46 or even shorter offset fork on that bike to compare, but sadly didn't get the opportunity. The 42mm offset fork I have on my current Whyte S-150 C RS inspires more confidence (head angle and other geometry almost identical for what it's worth) in that respect...

My Offering frame should be with me soon, I've picked up a Fox 36 Factory 44mm offset @ 160mm travel to go on it. I'll either run it with a lot of sag and plenty of volume spacers or shorten it to 150mm I guess, but I'm convinced for what I like and how I like my bikes to feel, the shorter offset will be better for me. If it feels crap, I'll just swap it out for a 51mm CSU and be done with it, but I'm confident it will be what I want...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markyboy1980 View Post
    I haven't conducted true "back to back" tests, but have a fair amount of experience running 29ers (lots of them in fact, from 100mm to 160mm travel and everywhere inbetween) over the last 6 years, several with 46mm offset, several with 51mm offset and currently one with a new 42mm offset Rockshox Pike... Remember that the 51mm offset was a fairly recent introduction to the market (around the time the original Following came out, so back end of 2014/early 2015) that was pushed by the marketing men at Trek as they were desperately trying to make their 29ers more agile so that people coming from 26" wheels would buy them... But that's besides the point...
    FWIW Gary Fisher started the "G2" 51mm offset around 2007, back when the couple available 29ers forks had a 38mm offset! It was a big jump, but a welcome innovation in trying to figure out how to make these promising 29" wheels not handle so terribly. They were also one of the first brands to take steps in slacking out head angles, shortening chainstays, lengthening top tubes to run shorter stems. It was baby steps compared to where we are now, but it was radical at the time!

When Fox released their first aftermarket 29er forks a year later they went with a middle-of-the-road 44mm offset

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    FWIW Gary Fisher started the "G2" 51mm offset around 2007, back when the couple available 29ers forks had a 38mm offset! It was a big jump, but a welcome innovation in trying to figure out how to make these promising 29" wheels not handle so terribly. They were also one of the first brands to take steps in slacking out head angles, shortening chainstays, lengthening top tubes to run shorter stems. It was baby steps compared to where we are now, but it was radical at the time!

When Fox released their first aftermarket 29er forks a year later they went with a middle-of-the-road 44mm offset
    Still have my Fisher Roscoe, canít bring myself to get rid of it for the reasons stated above. The bike has seen a couple different forks/travel up front and is pretty versatile. I still take it out once in a while and it rips. Plan to put an updated shock on it eventually and keep it in the quiver. Sorry for the hijack.

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by markyboy1980 View Post
    The "offset war" as I'm calling it seems to be driven more by the marketing men than it does actual science, I've spoken with designers of bikes about the pro's and con's of different fork offsets, and it all comes down to what you're trying to achieve I guess...

What's the difference? Well, in honesty, not that much! A 5mm increase or decrease in trail on the fork won't ruin the bike for sure... It's very subtle changes at most.

What I will say from experience is that the 51mm offset tends to steer a little quicker, but is less adept at holding a line (trail chatter and bumps will throw it off line easier). The 42mm offset is noticeable in how well it holds a line through the rough stuff, but at slower speeds it does require a little more effort to turn tighter corners, but when I say a "little", I mean a little... It's not huge differences! The 46mm middle ground forks, are, as you'd imagine, somewhere inbetween...

It's kinda like when the wheel size debate exploded... If you like twitchy, fast steering bikes, you'll always prefer 26" wheels. If you like super stable and hold their line and speed through the rough stuff, you'll prefer 29ers. For the middle ground, there is of course 27.5...

My 2penneth, if pushed... I'd say that on a shorter travel trail or XC bike, maybe 100-130mm up front, the slightly sharper steering of a 51mm offset can be preferential sometimes. What I found at the other end of the spectrum, was that on my Evil Wreckoning with 160mm up front @ 51mm offset, I would often feel like the front was going to tuck under (and it did a couple of times) without enough weight over the front wheel, which demanded a slightly more over the front agressive riding style and a distrust in most tyres I tried up front on it except for the Schwalbe Magic Mary. I would like to have tried a 46 or even shorter offset fork on that bike to compare, but sadly didn't get the opportunity. The 42mm offset fork I have on my current Whyte S-150 C RS inspires more confidence (head angle and other geometry almost identical for what it's worth) in that respect...

My Offering frame should be with me soon, I've picked up a Fox 36 Factory 44mm offset @ 160mm travel to go on it. I'll either run it with a lot of sag and plenty of volume spacers or shorten it to 150mm I guess, but I'm convinced for what I like and how I like my bikes to feel, the shorter offset will be better for me. If it feels crap, I'll just swap it out for a 51mm CSU and be done with it, but I'm confident it will be what I want...
    The offset wars...excellent! In my non-scientific research I found the Transition Sentinel be the the only long travel 29er bike that rivaled my Wreckoning. The Sentinel's cornering ability is next level. My biggest knock against it (and this would likely be gone after moving up a learning curve once you had it for a little while) was it's handling in tight slow speed nastiness. It was here that I could detect the longer wheelbase and had more difficulty getting the Sentinel to change course rapidly. As you note above, the offset likely plays into this. In the tight nasty east coast riding it would require some rides to learn how to predict where this will become an issue. However, on the contrary I have also learned how position myself with panache on the Wreck to manage sweeping turns and not wash out. I give the Sentinel the edge in theses turns.

Finally, I know anyone can ride anything they want wherever they wish. I still prefer my Wreckoning as it excels in my environment and for how I ride. The Sentinel may be better suited for big open terrain, but I am sure many would dig it wherever regardless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bcall8 View Post
    I went with the RockShox. I spoke with Mike at Evil about the differences. He said that with this frame they have a hard time telling the difference in feel between the Fox and the RockShox. Very similar. He did indicate that the Fox required slightly less air pressure than the RockShox to achieve the same sag so it might be beneficial for heavier riders to get the Fox. The impression I got from the conversation was that it might be splitting hairs and go with the brand that you like or match your fork or whatever. Based on that I went with the RockShox mainly because it was all black. I have no experience with any Fox shocks on my Evils so I canít help there. I will say that for my weight I am running a much lower PSI on the Offering than I was on my Following MB to get in the 30% sag range. Right now I am at 250psi where as I was at 285 with my old bike.
    I know as others have suggested it probably doesnít really matter and will likely be imperceptible, but Iíve been thinking about this comment. I feel like you could take Evilís statement on air pressure necessary to achieve sag in two different ways, albeit both speculation.

If the Fox takes less air pressure to achieve the same sag it has either a) more internal friction; or b) a stiffer LSC damping circuit. The first option is obviously detrimental, the second could go either way depending on your weight, riding style, and/or intended use and terrain.

Anyone have other thoughts? Ridden both? Over analyzing!?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rccp View Post
    I know as others have suggested it probably doesnít really matter and will likely be imperceptible, but Iíve been thinking about this comment. I feel like you could take Evilís statement on air pressure necessary to achieve sag in two different ways, albeit both speculation.

If the Fox takes less air pressure to achieve the same sag it has either a) more internal friction; or b) a stiffer LSC damping circuit. The first option is obviously detrimental, the second could go either way depending on your weight, riding style, and/or intended use and terrain.

Anyone have other thoughts? Ridden both? Over analyzing!?
    Setting sag should not be affected by friction or the damping circuit. Both friction and damping only come into affect when movement is involved. If the shock isn't moving (which it shouldn't be when you're setting your sag) then friction and damping should not be in play. The pressures required to achieve similar sag numbers are much more likely a function of air spring volumes.

With that said, the damping circuits are probably the biggest difference between Fox and Rockshox. They definitely feel different, but one is not objectively better or worse. In my experience Rockshox tend to feel very supple and responsive, but can blow through their travel quite easily. Fox shocks feel more supportive, but not as supple.

In reality, you can probably get either shock to feel the way you want.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I am curious how the bike feels with the 150 up front.
    My review based on my Outerbike rides were all 140.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwren00 View Post
    Evil recommends a 51mm offset. The offering doesn't have a very slack head angle so i'd go with 51. I think the short offset forks make sense on bikes with very, very slack head angles.
    This is what I've been thinking, but then you've got bikes like the SB100 that are using the shorter offset. To me it's turning into marketing hype more than anything. Also, just another irritating reason reason that bike parts will have even lower resale values.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PaullyD View Post
    Setting sag should not be affected by friction or the damping circuit. Both friction and damping only come into affect when movement is involved. If the shock isn't moving (which it shouldn't be when you're setting your sag) then friction and damping should not be in play. The pressures required to achieve similar sag numbers are much more likely a function of air spring volumes.

With that said, the damping circuits are probably the biggest difference between Fox and Rockshox. They definitely feel different, but one is not objectively better or worse. In my experience Rockshox tend to feel very supple and responsive, but can blow through their travel quite easily. Fox shocks feel more supportive, but not as supple.

In reality, you can probably get either shock to feel the way you want.
    Good points, totally agree in retrospect that the spring rate must be the same to achieve the same sag, therefore different pressures mean different air spring volumes.

Your comparison between the two is valuable and reinforces my experience between the two brands, but Iíve never been on the Super Deluxe. Thanks for the insight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I am curious how the bike feels with the 150 up front.
    My review based on my Outerbike rides were all 140.
    I went with the 150 fork and will let you know how it rides when I get the bike. I was torn between the 140 and 150 but ultimately went with the 150 because Rich at Fanatik said that the difference in ride dynamics is pretty negligible. I like the idea of having a little more travel in the front but still maintaining playfulness.

2019 Evil Offering (on order)
    2019 Evil Wreckoning LB
    2018 Orbea Occam TR 27.5
    FOR SALE 2017 Pivot Switchblade Carbon

mtbr member
    Should be getting this in a few days. Can't wait to get it out on the trails!!

The Evil OFFERING....-offering2of4.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiliDog76 View Post
    Should be getting this in a few days. Can't wait to get it out on the trails!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	offering2of4.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	332.5 KB 
ID:	1224013
    Nice!!! 150 or 160 36 ?

mtbr member
    Good looking bike! Thatís a pretty steep transition on the jump behind it though.

mtbr member
    150 I think 160 is overkill for my local trails

mtbr member
    Well, only one 10 mile ride with the 51mm offset fork, as I have been riding the 44mm offset fork for the last few weeks since getting the Offering. The short ride was because of the amount of smoke in the air from the Cali fires. Anyway, I prefer the 51mm offset fork, its more playful. As most folks have already stated, the difference is subtle but noticeable.

BTW - I will be selling the 44mm offset fork if interested 2019 GRIP2 36 150mm boost 110 - only a few weeks old in great condition. PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Sizing

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hey all

A few notes since building up my Offering last week..

The tolerance around the crank is VERY tight. After trying them all, here is is a list of cranks that DO NOT FIT: Quarq XX1 Dub, rotor Rex 1.1, Shimano XT, sram gx bb30.

The bolts on the trunion mount keep coming loose.. 5nm is not a lot of torque. So check yours!

re: sizing, I was so worried this wasnít going to work. Iím 183cm tall, with a high ape index. I sized up to an XL Santa Cruz tallboy, so was seriously worried about going back down to a large Offering. It was 100% the right call for me! If anything, the large offering may even feel a little longer than my xl tallboy. N=1.

I jacked the fork down to 140 to start with. About right for the style of riding that I do, for now.

i also fitted my 650+ wheels to see if that would work. 45mm ID with Maxxis Rekon + tyres. They fit, but the lateral tolerance is a bit Toit for my my liking. Will probably get a set of the 2.6s if I want to run these in late summer when the trails are blown out.

The final build with a 36 factory fork, fox dpx2 shock, gx Grouppo, race face carbon bars, pedals, cages.. the works comes in at 14.93kg.

very, very happy with how this bike turned out. Was between this and the yeti SB130. I got this, my buddy got the yeti.. and weíre both stoked. Difficult to describe without using a string of cliches, but it feels really responsive and lively on the smoother stuff, but the second that you hit the rough stuff.. itís like a different bike. Really plush and soaks it all up.

just my 2c. Shout if there are any specific questions, and Iíll try answer if I can.

tx,
    Jean

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanDiv14 View Post
    Hey all

The tolerance around the crank is VERY tight. After trying them all, here is is a list of cranks that DO NOT FIT: Quarq XX1 Dub, rotor Rex 1.1, Shimano XT, sram gx bb30.

The bolts on the trunion mount keep coming loose.. 5nm is not a lot of torque. So check yours!

re: sizing, I was so worried this wasnít going to work. Iím 183cm tall, with a high ape index. I sized up to an XL Santa Cruz tallboy, so was seriously worried about going back down to a large Offering. It was 100% the right call for me! If anything, the large offering may even feel a little longer than my xl tallboy. N=1.

I jacked the fork down to 140 to start with. About right for the style of riding that I do, for now.

i also fitted my 650+ wheels to see if that would work. 45mm ID with Maxxis Rekon + tyres. They fit, but the lateral tolerance is a bit Toit for my my liking. Will probably get a set of the 2.6s if I want to run these in late summer when the trails are blown out.

The final build with a 36 factory fork, fox dpx2 shock, gx Grouppo, race face carbon bars, pedals, cages.. the works comes in at 14.93kg.

very, very happy with how this bike turned out. Was between this and the yeti SB130. I got this, my buddy got the yeti.. and weíre both stoked. Difficult to describe without using a string of cliches, but it feels really responsive and lively on the smoother stuff, but the second that you hit the rough stuff.. itís like a different bike. Really plush and soaks it all up.

just my 2c. Shout if there are any specific questions, and Iíll try answer if I can.

tx,
    Jean
    how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    183cm, as above.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    4th paragraph
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    missed it, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Wait, are you saying the boosted Shimano XT cranks don't fit? What cranks actually do?

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by biggrumble View Post
    Wait, are you saying the boosted Shimano XT cranks don't fit? What cranks actually do?
    The boost Shimano XT fits fine. The non-boost Shimano XT doesn't fit as the chainring contacts the chainstay. I tried both.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Update...

Although the weather hasn't been overly cooperative I've been able to get a few additional rides in. Here's a quick update:

• I'm 6'2" with a size L. I can't stress enough that I am so glad I did NOT size up.

• I absolutely LOVE the playfulness of the Offering. This bike feels like it rides "lighter" and is more "flickable"... if that makes any sense.

• This bike climbs exceptionally well even on more technical terrain. Compared to my XC rig, I really don't feel like I'm giving anything up on climbs.

• After tuning the suspension a bit I no longer have an issue with pedal strikes.

This bike has me feeling (more) like a kid again. Can't wait to ride again!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rmap01 View Post
    Although the weather hasn't been overly cooperative I've been able to get a few additional rides in. Here's a quick update:

• I'm 6'2" with a size L. I can't stress enough that I am so glad I did NOT size up.

• I absolutely LOVE the playfulness of the Offering. This bike feels like it rides "lighter" and is more "flickable"... if that makes any sense.

• This bike climbs exceptionally well even on more technical terrain. Compared to my XC rig, I really don't feel like I'm giving anything up on climbs.

• After tuning the suspension a bit I no longer have an issue with pedal strikes.

This bike has me feeling (more) like a kid again. Can't wait to ride again!
    Do you normally ride a large? At 6'2 according to their size chart you should be a large. Any reason why you were thinking xl?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nel View Post
    The boost Shimano XT fits fine. The non-boost Shimano XT doesn't fit as the chainring contacts the chainstay. I tried both.
    Yeah, the non-boost Shimano did not fit. In the end, I fitted a sram gx dub with a 3mm offset chainring (the 6mm one did not fit). A lot of driving around in the middle of a work day :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nel View Post
    Oh crap. Think I have a problem. Based on what you are describing the 51mm chain line quoted in the Specification section of the Evil website appears to be wrong as boost versions of the XT crank have a 53mm chain line. Can anybody confirm what is right.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    All my bikes before my tall boy had been large. I sized up on the tallboy after demoing both their large and XL. I could have ridden either, tbh.. On the fence, but I put on a 50mm stem and some 800mm bars, and was really happy with the end result.

After pouring over the offering geo comparisons for some time, I went with the large Offering, and prayed. It has the same reach as the xl tallboy, but a slightly shorter TT (steeper sta). In my head I thought Ďsame cockpit size when standing in descents, slightly shorter when climbing seatedí. Was worried about the latter. After riding it for a week, I can tell you that the slightly shorter cockpit while seated is a complete non issue. I donít feel it at all, and I may even shorten the stem somewhere down the road. The bike feels bigger, and longer than my tallboy, but that is probably just to do with the slacker HTA rather than a point in space.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Do you normally ride a large? At 6'2 according to their size chart you should be a large. Any reason why you were thinking xl?
    Most other bikes would put me on a size XL. There's been a lot of debate on this thread - especially early on - about sizing up. When I was looking at the Calling a few months ago, they were out of the L (that would have been my size per their recommendation). When I contacted Evil about availability one of the guys told me a XL would probably fit but I figured I'd wait. Glad I did!

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Kingsting View Post
    Oh crap. Think I have a problem. Based on what you are describing the 51mm chain line quoted in the Specification section of the Evil website appears to be wrong as boost versions of the XT crank have a 53mm chain line. Can anybody confirm what is right.
    Yes that's right - you definitely need the Boost version of the XT M8000 single crank. The non-boost won't fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    As someone who is also 6 foot 2 I completely get this struggle. I'm always in between on sizes and prefer XL to L 9 times out of 10. As far as Evil's size chart goes, they say I'm a Large for the Wreckoning and Following MB but I've thrown a leg over both of those and am definitely an XL. The Offering however is a different beast altogether and I'm leaning towards large.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanM View Post
    As someone who is also 6 foot 2 I completely get this struggle. I'm always in between on sizes and prefer XL to L 9 times out of 10. As far as Evil's size chart goes, they say I'm a Large for the Wreckoning and Following MB but I've thrown a leg over both of those and am definitely an XL. The Offering however is a different beast altogether and I'm leaning towards large.
    While I've not ridden the Wreck, I rented the Following (size L) for 2 days. Felt slightly cramped for my taste. For me - wingspan comparable to my height - the Large Offering is spot on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Hey all

tx,
    Jean
    Did you ride your friends yeti sb130? If so how does the pedal efficacy compare?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    While I've not ridden the Wreck, I rented the Following (size L) for 2 days. Felt slightly cramped for my taste. For me - wingspan comparable to my height - the Large Offering is spot on.
    Any idea what your cycling inseam is? Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Any idea what your cycling inseam is? Thanks
    Just under 36"

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanM View Post
    Here are the numbers I ran to decide on an XL

I'm 6'3" - XL Wreck with 50mm stem and 175 dropper with about 1.5" of exposed post. Saddle pretty far back.

Main fit measurements are

Saddle Height 790mm
    Reach 570.6mm

According to EVIL and my questionable math I can run a 185 Revive post and be good to go. I went with a 35mm stem but have a feeling i'll be going to 50mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Just under 36"
    Same as me, although I find the large FMB just right. More precisely, maybe a tad tight when climbing but perfect when out of the saddle for the riding I like to do. I'm also somewhere right now where there's not a lot of high-speed riding, so maybe that factors into it. On the other hand, I spent two seasons at Whistler (mostly the jump lines) with the 17" reach on my dh bike and loved it. I tried a longer reach bike for a couple days but ditched it and went back to my bike. There are so many variables that I suppose only the roughest rule of thumb should be drawn.

Most of my riding the past 10 years has been gravity focused. And my trail rides now are fairly short. Maybe if I did long rides the comfort of the longer bike would become more important to me.

Just trying to figure all this out...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Same as me, although I find the large FMB just right. More precisely, maybe a tad tight when climbing but perfect when out of the saddle for the riding I like to do. I'm also somewhere right now where there's not a lot of high-speed riding, so maybe that factors into it. On the other hand, I spent two seasons at Whistler (mostly the jump lines) with the 17" reach on my dh bike and loved it. I tried a longer reach bike for a couple days but ditched it and went back to my bike. There are so many variables that I suppose only the roughest rule of thumb should be drawn.

Most of my riding the past 10 years has been gravity focused. And my trail rides now are fairly short. Maybe if I did long rides the comfort of the longer bike would become more important to me.

Just trying to figure all this out...
    FWIW, the trails I ride are on the XC-Enduro spectrum. 2.5 hours in the saddle yesterday. Comfort was not an issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    FWIW, the trails I ride are on the XC-Enduro spectrum. 2.5 hours in the saddle yesterday. Comfort was not an issue.
    Hmm, my rides now are 1.5-2 hours and they feel short, or normal-short, to me. When I said long rides I had in mind 5 hours to all-day-on-the-bike kinda stuff. Of course "how long" a ride is will depend a lot on the terrain. Super rocky technical stuff where you're constantly ratcheting over obstacles and/or constantly running into square edged hits is really tiring. I find my Following to be pretty lousy on those square edged hits. I'm sure the Offering is much better. Must be a fantastic all-around bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    When I said long rides I had in mind 5 hours to all-day-on-the-bike kinda stuff...
    To be honest, I don't find any bike to be comfortable on 5+ hour rides. LOL.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I rode the large Offering in Sedona all day. I am 6'3.5", almost 6'4". The large was barely too small. The XL is definitely my choice.

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by matixsnow View Post
    I rode the large Offering in Sedona all day. I am 6'3.5", almost 6'4". The large was barely too small. The XL is definitely my choice.
    Music to my ears! Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    To be honest, I don't find any bike to be comfortable on 5+ hour rides. LOL.
    I'm not a big fan of all-day rides, either; though it's great when they're over and they are memorable.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Did you actually try to install all these cranks? I spoke to folks at Evil last night. They recommended XT non-Boost with a 1mm spacer. If these rings actually contacted the frame 1mm is not enough. What tooth chainrings were you using? Thanks!!

mtbr member
    PSA: Invisiframe now has M and L kits for the Offering.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hey all

Did you actually try to install all these cranks? I spoke to folks at Evil last night. They recommended XT non-Boost with a 1mm spacer. If these rings actually contacted the frame 1mm is not enough. What tooth chainrings were you using? Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Am I the only one who ordered an Offering within 2 days of the announcement of the thing and *still* doesn't have a bike? Every couple weeks I hear it's just another couple of weeks. Okay, we're all loyal fanboys, but still, are these guys really running a business like this...?

mtbr member
    Nope. Still waiting here too. Starting to get anxious.

wretch
    Mine shipped yesterday...believe they were received on Friday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenbaby View Post
    Am I the only one who ordered an Offering within 2 days of the announcement of the thing and *still* doesn't have a bike? Every couple weeks I hear it's just another couple of weeks. Okay, we're all loyal fanboys, but still, are these guys really running a business like this...?
    Dude, basic supply and demand.
    The demand was overwhelming. Just not enough bikes.

wretch
    Dude, basic supply and demand.
    The demand was overwhelming. Just not enough bikes.
    I think there should be some kudos given to them for having a second shipment right on the tail of the first. Big brands will air freight for launches, press, etc. but smaller fish are usually left watching a boat, waiting on it in port, then finally receiving.

mtbr member
    I bought mine directly from Evil Friday morning as soon as it was announced as I knew this was going to sell out. I didn't bother with any shops etc as they add more time - went right to the source.

Its well worth the wait!!! The bike is amazing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    I think there should be some kudos given to them for having a second shipment right on the tail of the first. Big brands will air freight for launches, press, etc. but smaller fish are usually left watching a boat, waiting on it in port, then finally receiving.
    Understood. And to be clear, I ordered through Fanatik, so my gripe may have mostly (or entirely) to do with them. Still, the *repeated* slipping timelines (in the absence of production or shipping issues) doesn't make sense to me--it must just be a communication issue between some of the involved parties.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567