Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,200 of 1243
    mtbr member
    The guide can be removed

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    The guide can be removed
    Cool, that is good to know but the design limits gearing options due to the massively thick chainstay. I mean look at that thing it's thicker than the down tube. Minimum 30t chainring.

I feel a frame designed this well should give you at least 28-32.

Needing those gearing options is another topic. Bottom line, it's a limiting design.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    Cool, that is good to know but the design limits gearing options due to the massively thick chainstay. I mean look at that thing it's thicker than the down tube. Minimum 30t chainring.

I feel a frame designed this well should give you at least 28-32.

Needing those gearing options is another topic. Bottom line, it's a limiting design.
    With the eagle cassette I donít think I would go any smaller than a 32 as it would cut back on top end speed at a bike park.

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    With the eagle cassette I donít think I would go any smaller than a 32 as it would lake on top end speed at a bike park.
    I hear ya, so it's a park only bike?

It's so easy to change a chainring and that was the beauty of eagle it's just very limiting.

What other frames are limited to 30t ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Who cares what other frames are limited to 30t, it's the Offering thread? Unless that is 'make or break' for you, you aren't going to ever notice the frame can't to smaller. If it is, move on and find something else out there that works (lots of good bikes these days). Complaining about it on the forum isn't going to change the design and those of us who don't need smaller will never understand and won't see the need. If somebody does agree, what does it matter.

I agree that the information needs to be out there to help people make a decision but then make it and move on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Sb130 also has a 30t minumum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Take that gearing convo somewhere else lol

Seriously. Can we get some pictures of dudes on their offering with size and rider height info? Iím trying to between offering and sentinel but the offering sizing is messing with my head.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anyone have more time on the Offering with a 160mm fork in the x-low setting? Trying to decide if the Offering will be good for Whistler and Pemberton. The geo looks better than a Wreckoning but I also want a bike that rips the steeps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

New Bike Days are the Best Days

New bike days are always the best days.

Offering Size Lg
    150 Fox 36 (may try with 160)
    ElevenSix
    35mm stem / 800 bars
    Saint brakes
    XX1
    KS 175 dropper
    Enve 735 w/ CK hubs

Almost lost it today when I got rear-ended in the snow! Kuat racks are now even more my favorite racks as it absorbed all of the impact preventing any of the 3 bikes on the rack from being struck and damaged. Replacement rack will be another Kuat for sure!

BTW, I'm 6' and Large is PERFECT!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Evil OFFERING....-img_1231.jpg  

The Evil OFFERING....-img_1232.jpg  

The Evil OFFERING....-img_1233.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    BTW, I'm 6' and Large is PERFECT!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpaugh View Post
    New bike days are always the best days.

Offering Size Lg
    150 Fox 36 (may try with 160)
    ElevenSix
    35mm stem / 800 bars
    Saint brakes
    XX1
    KS 175 dropper
    Enve 735 w/ CK hubs

Almost lost it today when I got rear-ended in the snow! Kuat racks are now even more my favorite racks as it absorbed all of the impact preventing any of the 3 bikes on the rack from being struck and damaged. Replacement rack will be another Kuat for sure!

BTW, I'm 6' and Large is PERFECT!!!
    Dude, that is NICE
    Any invisframe or anything like that on it?
    Glad to see another 6 guy liking the large.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    invisiframe goes on later this week

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    You doing the gloss or matte invisiframe?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
    You doing the gloss or matte invisiframe?
    matte

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    Who cares what other frames are limited to 30t, it's the Offering thread? Unless that is 'make or break' for you, you aren't going to ever notice the frame can't to smaller. If it is, move on and find something else out there that works (lots of good bikes these days). Complaining about it on the forum isn't going to change the design and those of us who don't need smaller will never understand and won't see the need. If somebody does agree, what does it matter.

I agree that the information needs to be out there to help people make a decision but then make it and move on.
    No enema this morning?
    Relax.
    I answered a question.

@jackdonsui....fake news

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny0_3 View Post
    Some great info here and think it supports my decision to go with a medium (I'm 5'8")

In New Zealand we can't demo Evil unfortunately, but I did manage to demo a Yeti SB130 Medium which felt great and is very similar geo wise with the Offering with 150MM fork and Xlow. Can''t wait for it to be built

Attachment 1232186
    I am 5'8, I was on the fence about going with a small for weeks and with a lil input from competitive cyclist I went with the medium and put on a 35mm stem. I am definitely happy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Good luck man - invisiframe took me a good 8 hrs to complete but I am 98 percent satisfied with how it came out - glad I took my time. Just have beer on standby (not too much or your results may vary lol), and about four movies you can play in the background - Old School, Hot Tub Time Machine, etc. - while doing it...

Oh, and def wash your hands, and be very liberal with the baby shampoo/water spray (on both sides of the sitckers and on the frame itself), and you should be fine. Oh, and clean the frame with tar and bug remover before hand. You will be much happier when there arenít little pieces of whatever caught up under the stickers... clean EVERYTHING- I was very surprised at how much of the frame the invisiframe actually covered.

Kind of made me glad the trails are snowed out over here - Iím not in a huge rush to get the bike done...

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    U can use a hair dryer to keep the edges down

mtbr member
    May 2011
    "Oh, and clean the frame with tar and bug remover before hand."

Please don't! I'd recommend IPA, as you know it'll be safe with the carbon and the painted finish. I'm sure some tar and bug remover will be fine as its just petrol, but some will have additives that could mar the finish, or damage the carbon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kerpoise View Post
    "oh, and clean the frame with tar and bug remover before hand."

please don't! I'd recommend ipa, as you know it'll be safe with the carbon and the painted finish. I'm sure some tar and bug remover will be fine as its just petrol, but some will have additives that could mar the finish, or damage the carbon.

Sent from my oneplus a6003 using tapatalk
    ipa?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ipa?
    Isopropyl Alcohol.

Safe on bicycles, and a great degreaser.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    "Oh, and clean the frame with tar and bug remover before hand."

Please don't! I'd recommend IPA, as you know it'll be safe with the carbon and the painted finish. I'm sure some tar and bug remover will be fine as its just petrol, but some will have additives that could mar the finish, or damage the carbon.

I was worried about that when I was told to use the tar and bug remover, but I made sure I tested it in an inconspicuous place first (should have said that), and it did not mess with the finish (I even gave it 24-48hrs after testing just to be sure). I also did not use a whole lot of it, and only did a light cleaning because it was a new frame (still needed it, though).

But... you're absolutely right, use what you know is safe. Make sure to test it if you have any doubts...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Isopropyl Alcohol.

Safe on bicycles, and a great degreaser.

Ooooohhhhh, THAT IPA LOL.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bxcwolf7 View Post
    Yep, not this!

Although, it would probably work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I use IPA to degrease my internals after a greasy burger. Works great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by M0riarty11 View Post
    I am 5'8, I was on the fence about going with a small for weeks and with a lil input from competitive cyclist I went with the medium and put on a 35mm stem. I am definitely happy.

what size dropper you runnin?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    I use IPA to degrease my internals after a greasy burger. Works great.

Preach

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Medium
    35 stem
    Very Happy
    Could only fit a 125 mm dropper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    LOL! I have to admit, a good IPA did come to mind at first, but I always use Isopropyl Alcohol when I have installed invisiframe in the past. Always with a lot of soap and water.

Really, 8 hour?!? When I've done frames in the past, usually only takes a few hours. I guess the Evils with their frame angles and all more difficult. Oh well.

Wish me luck!
    Last edited by Kpaugh; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    LOL! I have to admit, a good IPA did come to mind at first, but I always use Isopropyl Alcohol when I have installed ivisiframe in the past. Always with a lot of soap and water.

Really, 8 hour?!? When I've done frames in the past, usually only takes a few hours. I guess the Evils with their frame angles and all more difficult. Oh well.

Wish me luck!
    Well, it was my first time invisiframing, so.... Gotta admit I was nervous, but those IPA's helped me get started LOL.

I'm guessing Evil's aren't any harder than other frames - you should be fine! Good luck, man!

mtbr member
    Stunning bike. I went with the camo decals as well and am very happy. Picking mine up this afternoon and will post some photos as soon as I can.

mtbr member
    The bike is home and have had her out for her first couple of miles. First impressions are that itís an incredibly composed bike at low speed that will wheelie and bunny hop like my 24Ē bmx cruiser.

BTW, the suspension is AWESOME. First bike where I will be able to back off air pressure a bit off the max. At 170 lbs Iím at 25% sag. Rode over a 50 yard section of trail with 12 - 24Ē roots and didnít have to do a thing other than pedal. Scary thing is that it handles tight corners better than my 2016 Fuel Ex with a 130 mm fork. The potential of this bike is huge. Only down side is weight, (33 lbs) but I built her with Saint components so I knew that was going to be the case.

As promised here are some photos of the bike on the trail behind my house. Iím plan to ride a 25 mile race on Saturday and will share what I learn from that afterwards.
    Cheers,
    Jeff

mtbr member

Listen!

The Evil OFFERING....-5165e1f5-b02c-4689-8282-0e7d8ff74ef2.jpgThe Evil OFFERING....-5da716cd-1afd-4cc1-8d3a-006a7af0617e.jpg
    The Evil OFFERING....-001157e8-76ce-4013-a99f-cdc919b149c2.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Kingsting View Post
    The bike is home and have had her out for her first couple of miles. First impressions are that itís an incredibly composed bike at low speed that will wheelie and bunny hop like my 24Ē bmx cruiser.

BTW, the suspension is AWESOME. First bike where I will be able to back off air pressure a bit off the max. At 170 lbs Iím at 25% sag. Rode over a 50 yard section of trail with 12 - 24Ē roots and didnít have to do a thing other than pedal. Scary thing is that it handles tight corners better than my 2016 Fuel Ex with a 130 mm fork. The potential of this bike is huge. Only down side is weight, (33 lbs) but I built her with Saint components so I knew that was going to be the case.

As promised here are some photos of the bike on the trail behind my house. Iím plan to ride a 25 mile race on Saturday and will share what I learn from that afterwards.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    Did we ever get your height and size?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobull1 View Post
    Medium
    35 stem
    Very Happy
    Could only fit a 125 mm dropper

What dropper? After talking with Evil they told me the bike yoke 160 fit on a small frame.
    2019 EVIL Offering

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Does anyone have experience on the Offering and the Yeti 5.5c? Was just about to pull the trigger on The Offering frame, and then noticed CC has some deeply discounted 5.5s. (Not much more for a complete bike vs. Offering frame only) Iím really intrigued by the geometry on the Offering.

mtbr member
    No experience with Offering, but have owned a Yeti 5.5 since released in 2016. If you don't absolutely need the latest and greatest or have a desire to be on the bleeding edge of geometry standards it is an awesome bike. Pedals great, goes down even better. Of it's time it was, IMO, the best all round 29'er.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DR.BG View Post
    Does anyone have experience on the Offering and the Yeti 5.5c? Was just about to pull the trigger on The Offering frame, and then noticed CC has some deeply discounted 5.5s. (Not much more for a complete bike vs. Offering frame only) Iím really intrigued by the geometry on the Offering.
    Depends on what size. They're a bit short compared to today's bikes. E.g. a large with a 19" seat tube is 440mm reach, with a 73 degree seat angle and sub 1200mm wheelbase. That's the same reach as a small Offering.

That 73 seat angle will be rubbish if you've got long legs.

We've all been riding bikes too small for us for years and years, and *for me* things have really caught up in the last two years. For me the XL yeti would still be too short for what I like at just under 6'.

YMMV, but given the choice of an Offering frame or a 2016 Yeti, I'd be going Offering every single day of the week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I replaced my 5.5 with an Offering. I'm just shy of 6', and my 5.5 was a large. It felt very cramped when I was standing (almost like my wrists would roll fwd if I hit anything) due to the short reach - ultimately why I got rid of it. I loved the feeling of my large Smuggler with the longer reach.

The 5.5 is a great bike, and it was definitely fast, but I'm definitely a believer in the new geo and have an Offering in my man cave just waiting for me to finish building her

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jn24uk View Post
    What dropper? After talking with Evil they told me the bike yoke 160 fit on a small frame.
    Lyne
    I still want to check with the manufacturer
    But that was my Lbs said

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    If interested - Invisiframe is selling XL kits for the Offering now.
    Evil | Following | Wreckoning | Offering

Learning to jump
    Jun 2015

Frame protection from AMS (camouflage) is on the way.

It will take a while to assemble the rest of the parts but I will probably order a 185 bikeyoke (Reverb service is crazy expensive in Switzerland) just to hold it in the stand.

Next will be some dt Swiss 350 hubs, competition spokes and Ex511/XM481 rims. The parts will cost $450, compared to ~$650 for the complete DT Swiss wheels and XD adapter. I was surprised that I could get the parts for less than a complete wheel. Of course, if you factor in the time, it will be much more, but Iíve done a few rim swaps and I donít mind too much.

Lyrik 150, raceface Cockpit with Code R brakes. Eagle GX(although I lust for the new xtr).

Still debating the cranks. SRAM GX dub or RF Turbine. The SRAMs are a bit heavier, but a lot cheaper. Thinking that I would be better off spend money on the cassette as that weight is unsprung.

Hoping to sell my XL V1 in the spring, but will be sad to see it go.

2015 Evil Following

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I replaced my 5.5 with an Offering. I'm just shy of 6', and my 5.5 was a large. It felt very cramped when I was standing (almost like my wrists would roll fwd if I hit anything) due to the short reach - ultimately why I got rid of it. I loved the feeling of my large Smuggler with the longer reach.

The 5.5 is a great bike, and it was definitely fast, but I'm definitely a believer in the new geo and have an Offering in my man cave just waiting for me to finish building her
    Thank you for the input. I ended up putting an order in for an Offering frame last night.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CHsurfer View Post

It will take a while to assemble the rest of the parts but I will probably order a 185 bikeyoke (Reverb service is crazy expensive in Switzerland) just to hold it in the stand.

Next will be some dt Swiss 350 hubs, competition spokes and Ex511/XM481 rims. The parts will cost $450, compared to ~$650 for the complete DT Swiss wheels and XD adapter. I was surprised that I could get the parts for less than a complete wheel. Of course, if you factor in the time, it will be much more, but Iíve done a few rim swaps and I donít mind too much.

Lyrik 150, raceface Cockpit with Code R brakes. Eagle GX(although I lust for the new xtr).

Still debating the cranks. SRAM GX dub or RF Turbine. The SRAMs are a bit heavier, but a lot cheaper. Thinking that I would be better off spend money on the cassette as that weight is unsprung.

I have a GX Dub crank on the shelf that I pulled from my Trek Stache (carbon 29+ hardtail) and another bike with a Turbine. The turbine is definitely a stiffer crank. I'm not sure how shopping would be, but backcountry.com has Next R cranks on clearance right now. I picked one up for my Offering build. I am a big fan of carbon cranks.

My Stache came with GX eagle and I swapped it to X0. I did not notice the weight change of the cassette at all. And this is on a 29+ that I have cut down to 25lbs with carbon wheels, crank, etc. The X0 shifts slightly better and the downshift lever is adjustable. I will be pulling the X0 components off, except the shifter, and putting them on the Offering only because it's going to be my best bike, and putting GX back on the Stache (sold everything so I will have to buy it again). There really is little difference between GX and X0.

mtbr member
    Did we ever get your height and size?
    Sorry, 6í1Ē, with a 32Ē inseam. Running a 40mm Thomson stem and it feels great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thank you for the input. I ended up putting an order in for an Offering frame last night.
    Great choice. I've had a 5.5 since 2016 and it's the one bike that has always stayed in the stable. Whenever I was going to do something new that scared me, I'd grab it since it was so forgiving.

After getting used to longer reaches, I took a chance and picked up an Offering frame and swapped the parts from the 55. I figured if I didn't like it I could swap back. I sold the 5.5 frame after one ride on the Offering. With a 160 fork, the Offering gave me all the changes I wished the 55 had without giving up any of the great things I loved about the 55.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mrallen View Post
    Great choice. I've had a 5.5 since 2016 and it's the one bike that has always stayed in the stable. Whenever I was going to do something new that scared me, I'd grab it since it was so forgiving.

After getting used to longer reaches, I took a chance and picked up an Offering frame and swapped the parts from the 55. I figured if I didn't like it I could swap back. I sold the 5.5 frame after one ride on the Offering. With a 160 fork, the Offering gave me all the changes I wished the 55 had without giving up any of the great things I loved about the 55.
    Thanks for the reassurance. I recently sold my yeti 4.5. Great bike, very fast, but wanted a little more travel. How do you feel the Offering pedals with a 160 fork?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I put the 160 Fox 36 on it, because that is what I had available from the 55 and I wanted to get a feel for how the bike rode without spending any money. I'm going to swap over to a Pike 150 for the long term because I'm a fan of the feel of the new Debonair.

To answer your question, the bike pedals great. I'm still working on dialing in the suspension, but I feel like the Offering is a little more supportive than the Calling and the Insurgent, but also not quite as plush. This is with the DPX2, so I can't comment on the Super Deluxe. Climbing very steep sections still required me to bend over my front wheel, but I didn't have to scoot forward on the seat. I expect this will be a little better with the 150 up front too.

In comparison, I demo'd a Ripmo and that bike has a super efficient suspension and climbed great, but I felt way over the front when seated and not climbing. It was a very uncomfortable feeling. The Offering however felt super familiar as soon as I jumped on it.

mtbr member
    Riding mine now in xlow and 155mm but I also swapped to a 50mm stem from 40mm. Feels good, better to me than in the 160mm in low. In the low, just got too much of the big bike sensation and felt cornering was a bit off. Probably all mental. Iíve tried everything but 140mm/140mm settings and so far like the 150mm/xlow setup the best. Going to switch to my coiled Fox 36 at 160mm to try that for a while.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've managed to get my reverb hose stuck in the internal routing guide, by pulling out backwards by mistake - so the end that goes into the dropper is jammed in the internal guide.

I've tried pushing it back out, a lot, with no joy. I've also tried yanking it to break the internal guide - but again no joy.

Has anyone got any ideas how to get it back out?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've managed to get my reverb hose stuck in the internal routing guide, by pulling out backwards by mistake - so the end that goes into the dropper is jammed in the internal guide.

I've tried pushing it back out, a lot, with no joy. I've also tried yanking it to break the internal guide - but again no joy.

Yikes that is not good. Take it to a bike shop - Iím sure youíre not the first person to do this.

Have you tried using an old gear cable with a loop and twist to grab the end of the cable?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by richt2000 View Post
    Yikes that is not good. Take it to a bike shop - Iím sure youíre not the first person to do this.

Have you tried using an old gear cable with a loop and twist to grab the end of the cable?
    Yep, can't get a decent grip. I attached a hacksaw blade to a dowel, and tried to cut the hose, but it's far too loose to get decent purchase.

I've got some long nose pliers and molegrips on order, I'll see if I can pull it free.

Only other thing I've thought of is attaching a hooked Stanley knife blade to a flat piece of dowel and slicing the top of the hose.

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yep, can't get a decent grip. I attached a hacksaw blade to a dowel, and tried to cut the hose, but it's far too loose to get decent purchase.

I've got some long nose pliers and molegrips on order, I'll see if I can pull it free.

Only other thing I've thought of is attaching a hooked Stanley knife blade to a flat piece of dowel and slicing the top of the hose.

How far in is the tube you need to grasp?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Probably 270mm in total.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I would look into medical kit. No idea how long these are, but they must make shit like this which is a foot long

https://www.medisave.co.uk/pelican-d...SABEgJ2svD_BwE

nel
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Probably 270mm in total.

can you see the end of the seat post tubing or can you just see the internal routing hose? You may be able to grasp it with a long pair of straight forceps - you can get 12 inch ones used for removing fishing hooks. There is a 16 inch pair of extra long veterinary forceps on ebay but the only thing I don't know is if you would be able to open the jaws wide enough to grasp the tube as the seat collar will limit how much you can open them by.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yep, I can see the very end of the reverb. About 5mm of it poking out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Man, that sucks. I don't know if this would work b/c I don't know what the reverb fitting looks like, but I was thinking if you have anything to grab on to on the fitting, maybe try getting a strong tube (like a hard plastic similar to a shift cable housing/brake tube) with an inner diameter big enough to fit two shift cables. Run the cable through the tube, and then bring it back and run it back through the tube until you have a loop on one end and two cable ends on the other. Stick it down the seat tube, wrap your loop around the fitting, and use some vice grips at the top to pull the loop tight around the fitting, and then try pulling it up from there...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Man, that sucks. I don't know if this would work b/c I don't know what the reverb fitting looks like, but I was thinking if you have anything to grab on to on the fitting, maybe try getting a strong tube (like a hard plastic similar to a shift cable housing/brake tube) with an inner diameter big enough to fit two shift cables. Run the cable through the tube, and then bring it back and run it back through the tube until you have a loop on one end and two cable ends on the other. Stick it down the seat tube, wrap your loop around the fitting, and use some vice grips at the top to pull the loop tight around the fitting, and then try pulling it up from there...
    ^Best idea yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Without knowing how the insides are laid out. Would it be possible to pull the bottom bracket out and get access to the bottom of it that way? Or is that the wrong end?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Legoman View Post
    Without knowing how the insides are laid out. Would it be possible to pull the bottom bracket out and get access to the bottom of it that way? Or is that the wrong end?
    Nope. The seattube is sealed away from the BB.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Currently riding a Hightower LT, am going to sell the frame and get the next Santa Cruz iteration with the lower linkage (a la the Nomad and Bronson). In the meantime I'm looking for a second bike. I rode a '17 Enduro 29 for awhile prior to the Hightower, and before that had a 26" Nomad and a 27.5 Reign. Was originally looking at the Sentinel, but then the sb130 and The Offering came along. I also demoed the sb5.5 and Rallon a few times. I am really looking forward to trying the Offering and am already leaning heavily towards it. The Sentinel and the sb150 just seem a little overkill for me, and the sb130 issues and cost are hard to ignore, while the Rallon reminded me too much of the Enduro, which was just not that fun to ride compared to the Hightower. Although honestly all these bikes are way capable beyond my abilities. The feedback here is very much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Sounds very similar to the Offering build i'm looking at. I'm a big fan of the EX511 on my Patrol, planning on going Red Lyrik The GX seems like a very good deal, don't think I will wait for XTR and can't justify the XX1, incredibly expensive for consumables parts, especially in NZ as SRAM block CRC, bikediscount etc exporting.

I went with a OneUp dropper and Hope E4 brakes

Learning to jump
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny0_3 View Post
    going Red Lyrik
    Might go nicely with the rims. Will you go with Blue or black frame?

I was thinking of trying to remove the rim decals to get rid of the red, but putting the red Lyrik on it might tie it all together.

Disclaimer: I am terrible with colors. My wife and daughter just shake their head when I put on my riding or skiing gear. The problem is that I like colors, i just canít pick the right ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2015 Evil Following

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Might go nicely with the rims. Will you go with Blue or black frame?

I was thinking of trying to remove the rim decals to get rid of the red, but putting the red Lyrik on it might tie it all together.

Disclaimer: I am terrible with colors. My wife and daughter just shake their head when I put on my riding or skiing gear. The problem is that I like colors, i just canít pick the right ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Learning to jump
    Jun 2015

Nice!

2015 Evil Following

mtbr member
    When trying to sort out colors, I just consult the color wheel. Just look for a color opposite the frame color and that's your standard match, which is why orange looks so good with blue. A bit boring, but it works.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SikeMo View Post
    When trying to sort out colors, I just consult the color wheel. Just look for a color opposite the frame color and that's your standard match, which is why orange looks so good with blue. A bit boring, but it works.
    Yep, I totally agree

Some of my baby blue and orange after a razz.

The Burgtec orange, iron bro, is the same as the hope orange. Ideal.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Chamfered some dowel, drifted and superglued it into the end of a connectamajig nut that I took from a broken reverb and cut in half, drilled out the dowel inside with a 6.5, and then screwed it into the barb in the frame. #winning

Managed to use a 35tpi blade to saw a decent cut into the internal hose, so it just snapped clean.

I'm going to frame the wee tool that I made. That was tough to fix.

Learning to jump
    Jun 2015
    Chamfered some dowel, drifted and superglued it into the end of a connectamajig nut that I took from a broken reverb and cut in half, drilled out the dowel inside with a 6.5, and then screwed it into the barb in the frame.
    You win the Mcgyver award. Itís great that you could fix it.

2015 Evil Following

mtbr member
    The Evil OFFERING....-02af34fb-9b4b-48f8-a21c-c05c5007113a.jpgThe Evil OFFERING....-03d08d03-9128-4791-b29c-a0d9cc343372.jpgThe Evil OFFERING....-69a388ed-884a-460a-b1c2-2b9f49663888.jpg

Offering build is complete.. for now.. I also picked up this Rocky Mountain Suzi Q.

Learning to jump
    Jun 2015

Color Wheel results

Yep, I totally agree

Some of my baby blue and orange after a razz.

The Burgtec orange, iron bro, is the same as the hope orange. Ideal.

I tried the color wheel and here are the results:

https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/

The Evil OFFERING....-capture_1.jpg

Seems like you guys are spot on. So finally, the Lyrik in red is a no-go. Maybe some orange pedals, grips and fork decals?
    2015 Evil Following

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I tried the color wheel and here are the results:

https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture_1.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	1233238

Seems like you guys are spot on. So finally, the Lyrik in red is a no-go. Maybe some orange pedals, grips and fork decals?
    I don't really like coloured grips, as they end up brown. Black grips with orange collars would work though!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

I reckon the red lyrik works https://www.bikemag.com/gear/mountai...-the-offering/

mtbr member

Why a no go? It's in stock at various online retailers. 160 anyway which can easily be lowered to 150mm with a $40 air shaft.

Learning to jump
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Why a no go? It's in stock at various online retailers. 160 anyway which can easily be lowered to 150mm with a $40 air shaft.
    It was purely on the color wheel theory. There was a link posted just after with the blue frame and red fork combo that was looking fine.

2015 Evil Following

mtbr member
    Has anyone built up a offering with 27.5 plus tires as opposed to 29s ?
    Iím really interested in going that route, any input from someone who has built one would be appreciated

mtbr member

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Well I got the first real ride on the bike yesterday. 23 Miles of mud, leaves and rocks. Trail ridden was the US National White Water Center which consists of lots of repetitive short punchy climbs and drops, several nice 3í rock drops, and more roots than you would ever want to count. Really enjoyed the ride and the bike rode just perfect in the low setting. For this type of US East Coast trail I donít see changing to the 150 fork / x-tra low settings but Iím looking forward to a business trip to Portland, OR in late spring to give that a try. While the bike did all the things the reviews have said, I think my favorite unanticipated benefit was how comfortable the ride was. The steeper seat tube allowed me to set the bike up with a more upright riding position which took a lot of the pressure off my hands and wrists. I degloved my left hand bmx racing a few years ago so this is typically the limiting factor for distance rides in my world. Think this is going to open up some longer back country rides that I have been wanting to do so itís really good news for me. Overall I love the bike and find that itís very confidence inspiring.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    6í 1Ē with 32Ē cycling inseam - size large frame
    Last edited by NC Kingsting; 3 Days Ago at 02:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Well I got the first real ride on the bike yesterday. 23 Miles of mud, leaves and rocks. Trail ridden was the US National White Water Center which consists of lots of repetitive short punchy climbs and drops, several nice 3í rock drops, and more roots than you would ever want to count. Really enjoyed the ride and the bike rode just perfect in the low setting. For this type of US East Coast trail I donít see changing to the 150 fork / x-tra low settings but Iím looking forward to a business trip to Portland, OR in late spring to give that a try. While the bike did all the things the reviews have said, I think my favorite unanticipated benefit was how comfortable the ride was. The steeper seat tube allowed me to set the bike up with a more upright riding position which took a lot of the pressure off my hands and wrists. I degloved my right hand bmx racing a few years ago so this is typically the limiting factor for distance rides in my world. Think this is going to open up some longer back country rides that I have been wanting to do so itís really good news for me. Overall I love the bike and find that itís very confidence inspiring.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    6í 1Ē with 32Ē cycling inseam - size large frame
    Are you riding in the High setting with a 150mm fork? This bike has now been put on my short list. I ride East Coast. PA to WNC and a 29er, sub 17" chainstays and 13.5" BB

mtbr member
    It was purely on the color wheel theory. There was a link posted just after with the blue frame and red fork combo that was looking fine.

Gotcha. I like the looks of the boxer red with the blue. My frame is on order but I might go with silver as an accent color. Half the fun is building up a new bike right? Who cares how it rides. No, not really but might as well have some fun with it for the cheddar that's being eaten.

Learning to jump
    Jun 2015

With the red Lyrik

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Gotcha. I like the looks of the boxer red with the blue. My frame is on order but I might go with silver as an accent color. Half the fun is building up a new bike right? Who cares how it rides. No, not really but might as well have some fun with it for the cheddar that's being eaten.
    I used Fanatik's bike builder app to see what the Red Lyrik would look like.

The Evil OFFERING....-red_lyrik.jpg
    2015 Evil Following

mtbr member
    Looks pretty sweet. I did the same with the bike builder before I built mine. Not saying that you have to use the color wheel, but if you're lost for ideas, it's a good place to start.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red_lyrik.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	255.5 KB 
ID:	1233304
    Will Ritchie from bike mag built his blue offering with a red Lyrik. Itís on their website if you wanna see real photos.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Are you riding in the High setting with a 150mm fork? This bike has now been put on my short list. I ride East Coast. PA to WNC and a 29er, sub 17" chainstays and 13.5" BB
    No Iím riding it with a DVO Diamond at 140 in the low setting. Itís more than stable enough in that configuration in my opinion. In fact, the first day I had it I was riding over everything I could find with a big grin on my face. While I really like the stability you get with a low bottom bracket I donít feel like I need to go any lower for trails around here and the likelihood of pedal strikes would go way up. Think the xtra low / 150 fork would be the ticket for fast, steep flow trails or jump lines where the incremental stability would pay off. You might want to check out the article in Enduro MTB Magazine referenced earlier in this thread as they do a better job of describing this than I am doing. Generally speaking this is a great bike for east and west coast US trails based on how you set it up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    No Iím riding it with a DVO Diamond at 140 in the low setting. Itís more than stable enough in that configuration in my opinion. In fact, the first day I had it I was riding over everything I could find with a big grin on my face. While I really like the stability you get with a low bottom bracket I donít feel like I need to go any lower for trails around here and the likelihood of pedal strikes would go way up. Think the xtra low / 150 fork would be the ticket for fast, steep flow trails or jump lines where the incremental stability would pay off. You might want to check out the article in Enduro MTB Magazine referenced earlier in this thread as they do a better job of describing this than I am doing. Generally speaking this is a great bike for east and west coast US trails based on how you set it up.
    Thanks for the reply. My home trails are slower so a higher BB is preferable. And could drop it for faster trails. Thanks for your feed back. I read the reviews but i like first hand experience from someone who paid for the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Any idea if the new Fox 175mm dropper will fit on a medium for a person with long legs (for that size frame) 33.5" inseam?

Salida, CO
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mts595 View Post
    Any idea if the new Fox 175mm dropper will fit on a medium for a person with long legs (for that size frame) 33.5" inseam?
    I talked to Fanatik about this today and they said it would be cutting it close on the large I ordered. I'm a 34" inseam. They pointed me to the Revive 185

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    After a couple of months on this bad boy I'm noticing some creaking when standing up and pedaling. Any tips on the evils where the creaks usually are found?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Fitzgerald View Post
    After a couple of months on this bad boy I'm noticing some creaking when standing up and pedaling. Any tips on the evils where the creaks usually are found?

Hi
    Ditto
    Mine was creaking at the stem
    Some carbon grit paste on stem and bolts
    Problm solved
    Renthal fatbars should be tightened/torq at the bottom first I see
    I Don't know it that is crucial

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hi
    Ditto
    Mine was creaking at the stem
    Some carbon grit paste on stem and bolts
    Problm solved
    Renthal fatbars should be tightened/torq at the bottom first I see
    I Don't know it that is crucial

carbon grit paste?

mtbr member
    carbon grit paste?
    Fiber Grip-carbon fiber assembly gel. Good for where you don't want to over torque things like bars and dropper posts.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Usually called Carbon Assembly Paste... Like this from Park.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Bottom shock bolt (use grease!) or the chain guide.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

There's quite a bit of pedal kick-back on Evils. I've had issues with derailleur clutches making noise on all of my Evils. Mostly when mashing on the suspension.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by PaullyD View Post
    There's quite a bit of pedal kick-back on Evils. I've had issues with derailleur clutches making noise on all of my Evils. Mostly when mashing on the suspension.
    I'm currently on my 3rd Evil and have not experienced this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Almost all the parts
    invisiframe installed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Evil OFFERING....-f786d629-b305-4f35-ad8d-2d6c9c1104c4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperfox114 View Post
    Almost all the parts
    invisiframe installed
    Nice

Size and height?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've gone to a 50mm stem, on my 51mm offset Lyrik at 150mm.

With 35mm stem, with 780mm bars, 9 backsweep felt very twitchy. I think the 35mm stem would be fine with a lower offset fork, but it just felt washy and like it wanted to tuck all the time.

Anyone else gone 50mm on their 51mm offset fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Size small frame. Iím 5í8
    Last edited by hyperfox114; 3 Days Ago at 04:22 PM.

mtbr member
    I've gone to a 50mm stem, on my 51mm offset Lyrik at 150mm.

With 35mm stem, with 780mm bars, 9 backsweep felt very twitchy. I think the 35mm stem would be fine with a lower offset fork, but it just felt washy and like it wanted to tuck all the time.

Anyone else gone 50mm on their 51mm offset fork?

Yep. Switched from 40mm to 50mm just to get a bit more weight on the front running in extra low.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast