Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,600 of 1601
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    what saddle is that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    Why is the shock more plush with more air pressure? I just came back from a ride running 60lbs over my body weight vs the 30lbs I've been running and it does feel better... but why?
    Why... Because the shock leverage curve is progressive. The further into the travel you are, the lower the leverage ratio is (less sensitive). So the shock is more sensitive in the early part of the travel. More pressure means you are riding higher in the travel and at a higher leverage ratio.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    hi, does the Fox Factory transfer Internal 125mm fit a small frame? currently using a reverb stealth 125mm .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark91 View Post
    hi, does the Fox Factory transfer Internal 125mm fit a small frame? currently using a reverb stealth 125mm .
    Depends on your saddle height. My saddle height is 26.25" (measured from center of bb spindle to top of saddle). My Transfer 125mm is bottomed out completely on the frame to meet that saddle height. I got lucky. FWIW, the saddle is a Selle Italia SLR (some saddles are taller or shorter from saddle rail to top of saddle).

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by henry_z4 View Post
    If you remove a spacer I think you will have to increase the PSI to achieve the same SAG.
    I have 4 rings with 230 psi in mine and I weight 180lbs.
    I just used Shockwiz to do a setup check and the air spring setup seems good.
    My Sag is 26%, no bottom out, just had to slow down rebound a little bit.
    Have you checked tires pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So are you all using the sag guide on the shock or the bike? Which is more accurate? Iím just setting up my bike today!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Also- anyone set up with raceface bottom bracket/next cranks? The chain barely rubs the built in guide . Think I might need a couple of washers to move the guide out. Chain line must not be ideal for non-boost bike. Anyone else have this issue?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie10 View Post
    Also- anyone set up with raceface bottom bracket/next cranks? The chain barely rubs the built in guide . Think I might need a couple of washers to move the guide out. Chain line must not be ideal for non-boost bike. Anyone else have this issue?

For setting sag I'm going by air pressure reading on pump for consistency.

I have RF bb and next cranks and theres no chain rub issues on the guide. Im running a 11 speed 11x42 w a 32 th up front.

Pre sure you need a spacer on the drive side cup.

wheelie king
    Quote Originally Posted by So are you all using the sag guide on the shock or the bike? Which is more accurate? Iím just setting up my bike today!
    Don't use the one on the frame, it's just for general adjustment and is not accurate. Measure sag on the shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 661lee View Post
    Don't use the one on the frame, it's just for general adjustment and is not accurate. Measure sag on the shock.
    Ok. Seemed like the sag thing was kinda a gimmick .
    Got it out a couple of times. Damn that thing can just float down the rough stuff ! Blown away

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Depends on your saddle height. My saddle height is 26.25" (measured from center of bb spindle to top of saddle). My Transfer 125mm is bottomed out completely on the frame to meet that saddle height. I got lucky. FWIW, the saddle is a Selle Italia SLR (some saddles are taller or shorter from saddle rail to top of saddle).
    your frame is S size too?

mtbr member
    your frame is S size too?
    Yes, mine is a small. My significant other is 5' 2" and also rides a small Insurgent. Her saddle height is 24.25" and a 100mm Fox Transfer is also slammed all the way down on her frame to get to the proper saddle height (Bontrager Affinity saddle).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie10 View Post
    So are you all using the sag guide on the shock or the bike? Which is more accurate? Iím just setting up my bike today!

Don't go by the sag meter that is on the frame or on the shock if you're running a Monarch. For the Monarch I do riding weight plus 30 psi and then adjust based on feel. I weigh 130lbs and I found that my sag meter on the shock and on the frame would show 30% anywhere from 80 psi to 150 psi so I was running low pressures for the first few rides. It made the ride super harsh since you blow through the travel on every hit. Part of the problem is that I'm lighter so the friction of the seals on an air shock provide some support which gives me false static sag measurements. I run a coil now (and an X2 on the other bike) and life is much better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Don't go by the sag meter that is on the frame or on the shock if you're running a Monarch. For the Monarch I do riding weight plus 30 psi and then adjust based on feel. I weigh 130lbs and I found that my sag meter on the shock and on the frame would show 30% anywhere from 80 psi to 150 psi so I was running low pressures for the first few rides. It made the ride super harsh since you blow through the travel on every hit. Part of the problem is that I'm lighter so the friction of the seals on an air shock provide some support which gives me false static sag measurements. I run a coil now (and an X2 on the other bike) and life is much better.
    I did 60 plus my weight. Seems right- goes through almost all the travel with drops /harder hits. What an amazing suspension! Just floats over the rough. Am thinking about getting one of those shock wiz things- seems worth it to dial in my 3 bikes especially as I am fairly clueless about all the settings

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yes, mine is a small. My significant other is 5' 2" and also rides a small Insurgent. Her saddle height is 24.25" and a 100mm Fox Transfer is also slammed all the way down on her frame to get to the proper saddle height (Bontrager Affinity saddle).
    Thanks for you reply....I also got a reply from Evil Bikes Dylan
    " Dylan Bibbins (Evil Bikes)

Nov 1, 09:38 PDT
    Hey Dean,

Hard to say with absolute certainty, but here's some numbers that might help.

We spec a Reverb 125 on all of our small frames, and as far as I can remember, we have never had any fitment issues.

A Reverb 125 has a total length of 390mm (bottom of post to rails), whereas the Fox Transfer 125 has a total length of 406mm (slightly longer).

A Small Insurgent has a seat tube length of 390mm and a maximum insertion depth of 210mm.

406mm
    +390mm
    -210mm
    =586mm

Your minimum bb center to seatpost rail measurement will be 586mm with a 125mm Fox Transfer post. If your current seat height (in pedaling position) is a greater measurement than that, you are golden!

Hope that does if for you!

Cheers,

Dylan Bibbins
    evil-bikes.com
    [email protected]"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone looking for a used well maintained Large? Having more trouble moving it than I thought.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2247677/

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi guys (and gals),

I need the lower bearings for the EVIL headset.
    Does anyone know the specs and where to buy
    them? I asked EVIL Europe support but they told
    me, that they only sell complete headsets.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I believe the item you are looking for is this here https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...t-bearing-62mm

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    I decide to switch the flip chip to X-LOW and removed one air volume spacer from my shock this past weekend.

I went and rode a lap on my local trail and then climbed back up for another lap. Limits in X-LOW ? Havenít found them yet. I tried everything to find something about the bikeís limits in this mode Ė shorting gaps, over-shooting, picking stupid lines, and inside tight lines at full speed. So much damn fun. The bike just eggs you on to go faster, and faster.

This may not be the setting for everyone but for my like is just perfect, NO REGERTS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-20171103_115142.jpg  

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-20171105_145731.jpg  

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-20171111_111007_resized.jpg  

Last edited by pvflyer; 12-04-2017 at 11:42 PM.
    "My GREATEST FEAR is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them."

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    What travel fork are you running pvflyer?

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FOMZ View Post
    What travel fork are you running pvflyer?
    PIKE 160 mm / 42 mm offset
    "My GREATEST FEAR is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them."

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Any news or updates on other '18 Insurgents? Would love to demo one to compare with the Mach 5.5/6, and the HD4/mojo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I was hoping a few of you could help clear up some confusion I've found as I've researched this hell raiser. Based on their sale currently it looks like a great steal and don't want to pass it up.

I was watching/reading some reviews and I keep coming across the gripe of a slack seat angle around 72ish degrees. Specifically during the bike bible test a few years ago they quoted that number, yet Evil's site says its roughly 73-74 degrees. Was there a frame change since then and in practice how has that been for climbing in everyone's experience?

I'm 5'11" so I'm trying to figure out if I try the M or L. I saw a few in this thread have had similar issues and tend to size up. Any other tweeners around this height?

mtbr member
    From my understanding the SA hasnít changed, the way they measure it has.. Iím approx 5í11 and on a medium.. could I have gone for a large? Possibly, but I donít feel the medium is too small, and thatís running a 35mm stem.

#bleedblackdieevil

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mcforan23 View Post
    I was hoping a few of you could help clear up some confusion I've found as I've researched this hell raiser. Based on their sale currently it looks like a great steal and don't want to pass it up.

I was watching/reading some reviews and I keep coming across the gripe of a slack seat angle around 72ish degrees. Specifically during the bike bible test a few years ago they quoted that number, yet Evil's site says its roughly 73-74 degrees. Was there a frame change since then and in practice how has that been for climbing in everyone's experience?

I'm 5'11" so I'm trying to figure out if I try the M or L. I saw a few in this thread have had similar issues and tend to size up. Any other tweeners around this height?
    same reason i shied away from the latest sale. i think iíll wait and see whatís stored for 2018

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    182cm =5 11ish on L with 45mm stem, seat slammed forward, found very good climbing position.
    take the L if you decide, much better position possibilities...

...oh, and the bike RIPS

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm 5'11" on a large and would be bummed if I'd selected the medium. Large is perfect.

Seat tube angle is not too slack either. Two years in and I have no 'bike-envy' for anything else. Love this bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    i was a little cramped so changed from large v1 folllowing to an xl, much better up and down but now on large insurgent which is way heavier (build) but climbs better again. seat tube looks and feels steeper and the 27 wheels are easier to keep rotating on granny climbs. im 6ft with long leg short upper. also drilled and glued bottle mounts which was surprisingly easy. voids warranty but frame is overbuilt and at sale price i took the risk. now have an epic trail bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I am had a screaming deal for a medium about 2 years ago, and took it. I am just over 6' tall. The medium definitely works for me, but I know that I would prefer a large if I had it. Based on the short time I have had on a large + riding some other large modern bikes, the stability increase as speed and just better position I am feel in is worth it.

All that being said, I love how the bike feels - slightly too small or not. really, it's still on par with position feel on my other older, "large" bike (though light years ahead in pedaling, plushness, capability, etc) and doesn't feel anymore cramped.

TL;DR - go with a large if you can, but medium isn't the end of the world

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I pulled the trigger on a Slimeball Med Insurgent Frame from Fanatik bike. Hopefully in hand by next week. Here's the build...using parts from my current Intense Tracer T275A.

Fork RockShox Pike RCT3 160mm Travel
    Rear Shock Ohlins STX22 AIR
    Wheelset Stan's NoTubes ZTR Flow Ex Team, 27.5", 12x142mm rear
    Tires Maxxis Minion DHF 2.6" front, HR2 2.3" rear (ordered new front, HR2 just what i have, probably gonna try aggressor in rear)
    Brakes Shimano XT M785 hydraulic disc, RT86 203mm rotor front, 180mm rear
    Shifter SRAM GX Eagle, 12 speed
    Rear Derailleur SRAM GX Eagle, 12 speed
    Crankset Truvativ Descendant Carbon 170mm cranks w/ X-sync 2, 32t Oval
    Cassette SRAM GX Eagle, 10-50, 12 speed
    Chain SRAM Eagle, 12 speed
    Handlebar Thomson DH Aluminum, 12mm x 800mm
    Stem Thomson Elite X4: 60mm (gonna get 40mm X4 if 60mm feels too long)
    Grips Intense Dual Density Lock-on grips
    Saddle Bontrager Evoke 3 Ti rails 143mm
    Seatpost Kindshock LEV Integra w/ Southpaw Remote, 30.9mm x 175 mm of travel

mtbr member
    I ordered the GX build Insurgent last week, should have it end of this week or early next.

mtbr member
    does anyone know when the new updated insurgent comes out?
    Last edited by giantdefy; 12-15-2017 at 07:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Mine was delivered last night, going away for the weekend, won't get to start assembly until Monday.

mtbr member
    Finished the build last Friday, had it out riding Sunday and Monday. Definitely like it. Very smooth over the rough stuff. Very surprised how easy it was to get the adjustment right on the 12 speed derailleur. Had to bleed the Reverb seat post, my fault, bumped the remote button when reconnecting the hydraulic hose to it during install. Just need to fine tune the suspension and get out and ride more.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm 5'7'' in uk money and when I spoke to Evil Europe they told me to go med {my uprising was a med to) . had to go 40mm stem on a 780 bar I could only use a 125mm dropper but its nearly upto its collar in the frame seems to work fine though. I just need to sort suspension out as rear seems to soft and don't feel like the pikes give good small bump sensitivity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Hey dude !
    I'm french Guy and just do the worst error of choice bike... few years ago i rode an sb66 alloy and very love it ! After few bike i come back To yeti with the new sb6c and... it's a war machine ! Very efficient but absolutly not a playful bike... and for me it's the best part in the bike..
    I saw everywhere "very fun, fun and fun again " so i think i'll ride again the SB one more time and sell it for an insurgent !
    Just one think affraid me : the delta system, someone have any mouve (i don't know how To explain that) in the delta system after few ride ? On the axle or bearing ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostrum32 View Post
    I'm 5'7'' in uk money and when I spoke to Evil Europe they told me to go med {my uprising was a med to) . had to go 40mm stem on a 780 bar I could only use a 125mm dropper but its nearly upto its collar in the frame seems to work fine though. I just need to sort suspension out as rear seems to soft and don't feel like the pikes give good small bump sensitivity.
    I'm 5' 9 1/2" and I have a 150mm dropper, and I couldn't put it any lower. I was worried I would have to switch to 125mm. I have a Lyrik on mine, seems good so far, but are you using any bottomless tokens in your fork. I believe they come standard with no tokens installed, and that makes them fairly linear, adding tokens makes them more progressive. What sag do you have, and are you bottoming the fork? From what I have read you should have between 25% to 30% sag. I'm running 30% right now, seems pretty good to me, but I ride pretty mellow. If you have to run less sag to keep it from bottoming you need to add a token. The harder you ride, the more likely you need to use tokens.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

My Insurgent is built!

Forgive the tail light, LOL. Went for a 1am test ride after i built her up.

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-img_0079.jpg

Tires Maxxis HR2 2.3" F&R
    Saddle Specialized Power Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJZ74 View Post
    Forgive the tail light, LOL. Went for a 1am test ride after i built her up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	1174771

Tires Maxxis HR2 2.3" F&R
    Saddle Specialized Power Expert
    Looks good.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just ordered a L insurgent that should be here next week to start assembly.

Iím 5í10 with 30 inch inseam but long torso so went with a large since Iím used to riding long bikes. Hopefully I didnít screw up the sizing but Iím coming off a knolly endorphin with 465 reach that I ran a 50mm stem and seat slammed as far back as possible on. I do think knollyís run small but I also had a Canfield balance with 435 reach I felt cramped on and the seat tube and stand over on the insurgent is shorter than both.

Anyways worst case Iíll run a 35 or 30mm stem and call it good. Really excited about this thing, I know itís gonna rip!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CogHog View Post
    Just ordered a L insurgent that should be here next week to start assembly.

Iím 5í10 with 30 inch inseam but long torso so went with a large since Iím used to riding long bikes. Hopefully I didnít screw up the sizing but Iím coming off a knolly endorphin with 465 reach that I ran a 50mm stem and seat slammed as far back as possible on. I do think knollyís run small but I also had a Canfield balance with 435 reach I felt cramped on and the seat tube and stand over on the insurgent is shorter than both.

Anyways worst case Iíll run a 35 or 30mm stem and call it good. Really excited about this thing, I know itís gonna rip!!!!!
    I'm 5'9" medium torso, I have a medium Giant and a medium Insurgent, the Insurgent feels a bit smaller than the Giant even with wider bars. Fine for me, but my riding buddy that is 5"11" thinks it is way too small. You will probably like the large.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by armii View Post
    I'm 5'9" medium torso, I have a medium Giant and a medium Insurgent, the Insurgent feels a bit smaller than the Giant even with wider bars. Fine for me, but my riding buddy that is 5"11" thinks it is way too small. You will probably like the large.
    Thanks for the input.

Thatís what Iím thinking too, figured better to match it to the geometry that Iíve ridden and know Iím comfortable on.

Plus Iíd rather it be a tad too big than too small.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Has anyone got a 150mm reverb slammed to the seat collar on a Large Insurgent?

I have a 170mm reverb, and its about 1 1/2 inches from the collar, and too high for my 5'11 and 32" legs

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    First world problem you have my friend )

...try removing the Connectamajig, thats what i did and you get almost 2extra cm...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good idea!

Can replace the connectamajig with a barb and take out around 30mm of length.

Probably still not quite enough without putting pressure on the hose, so will go for a 150mm reverb, reuse the hose and see how that goes.
    Last edited by kerpoise; 01-09-2018 at 04:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I had the problem with the 170 reverb, removed the connectamajig and got maybe another 10-15mm. In the end the reverb had a knock and sent it back, ended up with a bikeyoke 160mm, similar total height to a 150 reverb but 10mm longer stroke, fantastic seat post, reliable and smooth - wonít go back to reverb now.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've just popped some Mastic Tape on the stay to stop the clacking noise from the chain, how much did you guys put on? Just one wrap? It feels like it's not going to make a difference, when dropping the back end I can still hear the chain slapping on the stay's mastic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You need rubber foam weatherseal. It's surprisingly hardy. I replace mine about twice a year and am still on my original roll. Just cut to size. Easy-peasy. Mastic is not spongy enough to dampen all the damned noise. With the weatherseal. It's silent goodness.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Weather...ip+Tape+1%22+x

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Cool!

Is it the the same as this stuff?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MZW6J..._BE-vAbYFZ70AA

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm 5' 9 1/2" and I have a 150mm dropper, and I couldn't put it any lower. I was worried I would have to switch to 125mm. I have a Lyrik on mine, seems good so far, but are you using any bottomless tokens in your fork. I believe they come standard with no tokens installed, and that makes them fairly linear, adding tokens makes them more progressive. What sag do you have, and are you bottoming the fork? From what I have read you should have between 25% to 30% sag. I'm running 30% right now, seems pretty good to me, but I ride pretty mellow. If you have to run less sag to keep it from bottoming you need to add a token. The harder you ride, the more likely you need to use tokens.
    Hi Armii.
    Ya im running the 25/30% sag on the forks. To use the full travel i have to run more sag as im not a heavy rider but then the forks seem to pack down and feel numb. Ive always thought pikes dont have small bump sensitivey not like fox, its as if they dont breakaway and are choppy just ping off stuff. I had the rct3 dual position and they was the same. I was hoping after all the reviews with the new charger 2 and debonair that this would of been sorted. Going to wait for the luftkappe to come out for the boost pike and try that see if it helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostrum32 View Post
    Hi Armii.
    Ya im running the 25/30% sag on the forks. To use the full travel i have to run more sag as im not a heavy rider but then the forks seem to pack down and feel numb. Ive always thought pikes dont have small bump sensitivey not like fox, its as if they dont breakaway and are choppy just ping off stuff. I had the rct3 dual position and they was the same. I was hoping after all the reviews with the new charger 2 and debonair that this would of been sorted. Going to wait for the luftkappe to come out for the boost pike and try that see if it helps.
    My guess, from what you say about having to run more sag, and forks seem to pack down, would be you do have a token or two in your fork and you should try taking one out. And that you might have too much rebound damping set, at the bottom of the fork. Check this out. RockShox Pike: 5 ways to a perfect set-up - MBR

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My guess, from what you say about having to run more sag, and forks seem to pack down, would be you do have a token or two in your fork and you should try taking one out. And that you might have too much rebound damping set, at the bottom of the fork. Check this out. RockShox Pike: 5 ways to a perfect set-up - MBR
    Cheers Armii.

I think I've already looked at that but ill give it another read just incase.
    You could be right about a token ive not looked in the fork. Tf tune recommend the wiper seals are not the best either in standard form and can cause similar issues.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hiya Chaps,

Does anyone's Delta pivot rotate if you turn it with a hex key? I've been in touch with Evil who have stated it shouldn't do that, and to take a mm off the end of the axle.

Just wanted to see if anyone's Evil does this, and if you've done the same, or spaced out the axle with a couple of shims.

mtbr member
    Do you mean the axle that goes through the downtube? If so yes unless I hold the other side with another hex key..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    #bleedblackdieevil

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Cheers Phil - Evil tech support say that shouldn't happen, and means the axle is very slightly too long for the frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kerpoise View Post
    Cheers Phil - Evil tech support say that shouldn't happen, and means the axle is very slightly too long for the frame.
    Mine does the same unless I secure the other side with a hex key as philstone stated.

My frame is totally brand new and seems to be fine without any lack of stiffness and the larger pivot bolt is the only one that does it, but I wouldnít say it spins easily just when torquing to spec.

Are you sure this is actually a problem?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Anyone have any info if thereís going to be a revamped insurgent or a new model in the 27.5/150-170mm travel range ...?

mtbr member
    I just got my Insurgent at Christmas, seeing as both the Insurgent and Following are on sale, I would assume they would be the next two updated, but have heard nothing on when.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Someone posted this on the Evil PB forum a couple days ago:
    "Got some news, the insurgent SB (slightly better) is due to release in a couple months. As far as I was told it has a water bottle cage and a boost rear end, i didnít think to ask about a trunnion shock but I would imagine it will be released with one. The front triangle hasnít been changed so the geo stays the same. It gets the SB because not much has changed."

-don't know his source, so take it fwiw

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anyone ride their insurgent in the middle setting on the Rockshox rc3?

Iíve only got one ride on the Evil, and I love it so far, but the shock felt a bit dead in the rear in full open unless charging DH through chunk. I flipped it to the middle setting and it felt way poppier while still pretty plush, just seemed to give me more to push against when jumping around on smoother trail.

Iím eventually gonna upgrade the shock put just curious if everyone runs it in full open or with a bit of platform depending on which trail theyíre riding?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hey all, I know shock pressure on the monarch has been discussed a lot, but I am having trouble getting mine feeling good. I am 160 lbs geared up and am running 215 psi in the shock at evil's suggestion of running 50 - 60 lbs over body weight. I am running the RWC bearing kit and a single red volume reducer and that nets me 25% sag with the most liberal sag measurement. It doesn't feel particularly plush and I never use the last ~25% of shock travel when hitting stuff about as hard as I ever will.

I am thinking of removing the last volume reducer, or lowering air pressure to get closer to 30% sag.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by McJustice View Post
    Hey all, I know shock pressure on the monarch has been discussed a lot, but I am having trouble getting mine feeling good. I am 160 lbs geared up and am running 215 psi in the shock at evil's suggestion of running 50 - 60 lbs over body weight. I am running the RWC bearing kit and a single red volume reducer and that nets me 25% sag with the most liberal sag measurement. It doesn't feel particularly plush and I never use the last ~25% of shock travel when hitting stuff about as hard as I ever will.

I am thinking of removing the last volume reducer, or lowering air pressure to get closer to 30% sag.
    removing the volume reducer and going to 30% sag is exactly what I was thinking you might try as I was reading.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Iím personally shocked, see what I did there , at the pressures everyone is running to be honest.

Granted Iíve only got one ride on the insurgent and havenít hit the big stuff I eventually will but I did hit a couple 4 footers to almost flat on my first ride and it didnít bottom at 240 psi for my 210lb. weight. Granted it came pretty close, like 1/8 of an inch, but still it didnít and thatís with the shock being bone stock with I guess two spacers from evil, havenít checked.

Anyways I just went out and put 270 psi and 260 psi in it and did not like how it felt jumping around and playing off some small stuff close to my house. Felt too spikey at the bottom and too fast to return.

I am coming off a coil on my other bike so that could have something to do with it and I do like a softer more compliant rear with stiffer front so could just be me, but it seems the pressures people are recommending seem kinda high.

Who knows though once I start hitting the bigger 10 and 12 footers I may have to adjust it but those drops have nice run out landers and Iíve hit em before on a 130mm knolly endo no prob.

Weíll see.

Oh and I am getting right about 30-31% sag at that pressure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I really cannot believe how well this bike climbs. This is the first "modern geometry" frame I have ridden and the extra room helps me get my chest lower over the bars on steep climbs. I probably could have gone with a large and a short stem but went with the medium frame Insurgent frame from Fanatik Bike Co. and kept my 60mm Thomson stem which works just fine. I rode up Oat Hill Mine trail in Calistoga CA today which is a tough long 8 mile steep rocky technical climb. Front Wheel never came up once.....can't say anything close to that with my former Intense 2015 Tracer t275a. Beautiful thing about an 8 mile uphill.....you get 8miles of down afterwards.

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-img_0142a.jpgEVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-img_0155a.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I really cannot believe how well this bike climbs. This is the first "modern geometry" frame I have ridden and the extra room helps me get my chest lower over the bars on steep climbs. I probably could have gone with a large and a short stem but went with the medium frame Insurgent frame from Fanatik Bike Co. and kept my 60mm Thomson stem which works just fine. I rode up Oat Hill Mine trail in Calistoga CA today which is a tough long 8 mile steep rocky technical climb. Front Wheel never came up once.....can't say anything close to that with my former Intense 2015 Tracer t275a. Beautiful thing about an 8 mile uphill.....you get 8miles of down afterwards.

Name:	IMG_0142a.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	1180027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0155a.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	1180028
    how did you install your bottle cage?

mtbr member
    It looks like a strap on mount.. I use this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But there is very little room. The bottle has to be very small. Actually works better to use with a short container for tools then wear a hydration pack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    how did you install your bottle cage?
    I used this cage off of amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G4HZ2UA?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Trying a few other mounts that use standard bottle cages but so far mounts are not low profile enough. I want to find a mount with a side entry cage.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    removing the volume reducer and going to 30% sag is exactly what I was thinking you might try as I was reading.
    Finally got another couple rides in. Went down to 180 psi from 215 psi and stayed with one reducer. This got me closer to 28 - 30% sag. This felt much better on small bumps and managed to get within a few milimeters of bottom out at the shock. I think I could fiddle slightly with pressure and reducers to get it better but happy that I am much closer to a good setup.

I am curious how what sag % you get at the wheel when at 30% at the shock. Wheel leverage is higher at beginning of the stroke so I am assuming more than 30%>

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Anyone heard of any Ď18 updates on the Insurgent? I would love to demo one if l can locate a Ď17 before pulling the trigger on another (Sight,Range, Mach 5.5/6)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRdWarrior View Post
    Anyone heard of any Ď18 updates on the Insurgent? I would love to demo one if l can locate a Ď17 before pulling the trigger on another (Sight,Range, Mach 5.5/6)
    How far are you from https://www.bluemountainbikes.com/ they might have one to demo. That is who I bought my Insurgent from.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    How far are you from https://www.bluemountainbikes.com/ they might have one to demo. That is who I bought my Insurgent from.
    Nice, they're about 6 hours away however The Hub near/in Pisgah (4 hrs) offers Evil and I may be heading there in late March for a Pivot Demo so I'll give them a ring to see what's available.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    anyone have fix alternative cable grommet for the insurgent frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    have anyone a fox float x on their insurgent? is there a washer on the bottom bolt of the shock (left side)? I was replacing my Fox FLoat X with a DPX2 , but after i remove the Float X i notice one washer left, im sure no washer fell.
    Name:  insurgent washer.jpg
Views: 2099
Size:  83.5 KB

is this a washer to compensate the offset of the shock or what?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    have anyone a fox float x on their insurgent? is there a washer on the bottom bolt of the shock (left side)? I was replacing my Fox FLoat X with a DPX2 , but after i remove the Float X i notice one washer left, im sure no washer fell.
    Name:  insurgent washer.jpg
Views: 2099
Size:  83.5 KB

is this a washer to compensate the offset of the shock or what?
    all is sorted....Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhynohead View Post
    Someone posted this on the Evil PB forum a couple days ago:
    "Got some news, the insurgent SB (slightly better) is due to release in a couple months. As far as I was told it has a water bottle cage and a boost rear end, i didnít think to ask about a trunnion shock but I would imagine it will be released with one. The front triangle hasnít been changed so the geo stays the same. It gets the SB because not much has changed."

-don't know his source, so take it fwiw

Anyone know anything else about this? I want an insurgent badly but this lack of water bottle thing is killing it for me, I just don't think I can buy one without...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i am getting a new Range 29 this week and I am coming off an Insurgent, Wreckoning, and Switchblade @ 27.5+. Anyhow drop me a line in a week or two if you want some feedback on the comparison.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manhattanprjkt83 View Post
    Anyone know anything else about this? I want an insurgent badly but this lack of water bottle thing is killing it for me, I just don't think I can buy one without...
    I put strap on mount and can carry a 12 oz bottle, but that is all. I actually have given up and now wear a hydro pack all the time. The strap on bottle holder now holds a small round container with multi tool, patches, a snack bar, and a wash cloth.

mtbr member
    I was hesitant about getting the Insurgent due to its lack of water bottle mounts and that the new frame will be out soon. But I scored a new frame for less than the current sale prices and jumped on it. So far I'm very impressed with the bike. It climbs great considering how slack the geo is, I really like the suspension platform. Descending is crazy fast and fun, and I haven't even taken it down proper downhill trails yet. I'm heading to Moab in 3 weeks and can't wait to see how it handles the chunk.

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-ride2.jpg

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-ride3.jpg

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-ride4.jpg

mtbr member
    Anyone gone from a Transition patrol to an Insurgent? I like my patrol a lot, specially the poppy fun part, but I keep looking at Evil bikes from time to time. Thing is, I have never ridden one. Keep the pics coming guys!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Anyone that has taken apart their bike for maintenance did you grease the main & delta pivot axles that go into the frame? Also, use loctite on any specific hardware or just grease?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I greased the axles with thin pivot/suspension grease. I also grease the hardware threads, and the heads. I haven't had issues with bolts loosening, if I do, I'll IPA the threads and apply blue loctite.

mtbr member
    Question, do we think the rebooted insurgent is going to be a 170 bike ala Nomad? I am hoping not...Time will tell. I really want this bike for pedaling and the occasional park day...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So figured Iíd give an update on my thoughts on the insurgent.

In a nutshell, phenomenal! By far, BY FAR, best bike Iíve ever owned and Iíve owned some good ones (knolly endo 27.5, Canfield balance, Commencal meta v4, etc.).

Itís just so fun to ride and wants to be popped off of everything. Current suspension setup is an MRP ribbon and fox dhx2 coil rear. Was afraid of losing poppiness and climbing with the coil but itís never been a problem and just works so well with this bike.

Anyways I canít say enough about this bike, I freaking love it!

wheelie king
    Question, do we think the rebooted insurgent is going to be a 170 bike ala Nomad? I am hoping not...Time will tell. I really want this bike for pedaling and the occasional park day...
    No. I don't think so. I think it will stay at 151 where it belongs.

mtbr member
    I really hope so, seems to make sense.

mtbr member
    Can't wait to get on one, building it up w/ a 36, 11six, full xtr, i35 carbon wheels...black on black on black. #bleedblackdieevil

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Happy to report that I was able to fit the new OneUp 150 dropper on my size small frame. The only problem I had with the bike was that the 125 reverb didn't feel like enough.

The reverb depth was limited by the connectamajig and such hitting the seat tube bend. The OneUp goes in until it seemingly wedges into the seat tube. It feels like the seat tube diameter narrows slightly towards the bend and the bottom of the post wedges into it - you feel resistance, but can twist and force it a tad further.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I put strap on mount and can carry a 12 oz bottle, but that is all. I actually have given up and now wear a hydro pack all the time. The strap on bottle holder now holds a small round container with multi tool, patches, a snack bar, and a wash cloth.
    I was able to zip tie a sideloader into the front triangle of a size small and can fit a 21oz camelbak podium, works well. Bigger frame could fit a bigger bottle probably. Black zip ties on black frame aren't really noticeable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I was able to zip tie a sideloader into the front triangle of a size small and can fit a 21oz camelbak podium, works well. Bigger frame could fit a bigger bottle probably. Black zip ties on black frame aren't really noticeable.
    pictures please

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    IEVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-photo.jpg
    Just built up a Insurgent

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by blackaptur-photo View Post
    IClick image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	1195926
    Just built up a Insurgent
    hhehehhe I meant picture of your water bottle setup on your bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    hhehehhe I meant picture of your water bottle setup on your bike
    whoops my bad - I have got a Super 8 strap from back country research - whaty they describe as a 'top tube mount' works well on the downtube!
    here is a pic from unsprung.com.sg - one place you can get themEVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-dscf7501_2048x.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Happy to report that I was able to fit the new OneUp 150 dropper on my size small frame. The only problem I had with the bike was that the 125 reverb didn't feel like enough.

The reverb depth was limited by the connectamajig and such hitting the seat tube bend. The OneUp goes in until it seemingly wedges into the seat tube. It feels like the seat tube diameter narrows slightly towards the bend and the bottom of the post wedges into it - you feel resistance, but can twist and force it a tad further.
    So to be clear the oneup 150mm post can be inserted all the way to the dropper collar? I had calculated that with a max insertion of 210mm on a small insurgent Iíd be awfully close to being able to fit a 170, but if youíre able to get the entire 150mm dropper post inserted (223mm) I should be able to easily manage a 170 dropper.

Thanks,
    Wayne

mtbr member

Do you mind sharing your saddle height (measured from center of BB spindle to top of saddle)? Mine is 26.25" and was wondering if I can fit the 150mm OneUp. I currently use a 125mm Transfer.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowYouRider View Post
    So to be clear the oneup 150mm post can be inserted all the way to the dropper collar? I had calculated that with a max insertion of 210mm on a small insurgent Iíd be awfully close to being able to fit a 170, but if youíre able to get the entire 150mm dropper post inserted (223mm) I should be able to easily manage a 170 dropper.

Thanks,
    Wayne
    No, it's not even close to being slammed, I just meant that it fit me (5'3") pretty much perfectly, with no shims, when I put the post in as far as it will go. I'll have to check on the max insertion, but it was less than i expected, i think around 175mm at least on my frame. The 175mm is just measuring the lower stanchion of the dropper, not including the actuator or anything sticking out of the bottom of the post. Depth doesn't seem to be limited by anything hitting the seat tube bend, but by the seat tube bore narrowing - not sure if that is consistent frame to frame, or if it just depends on how the inside of the tube was cured or compacted.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Do you mind sharing your saddle height (measured from center of BB spindle to top of saddle)? Mine is 26.25" and was wondering if I can fit the 150mm OneUp. I currently use a 125mm Transfer.
    Yeah mine is just about the same 26.25" to the top of the saddle above the middle of the seat clamp, my saddle is slammed forward. 24 and 5/8ths to the middle of the seat clamp. 1 and 7/8ths inch of exposed post to the bottom of the seal head, so max insertion is about 175mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-20180504_122238%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2016
    pictures please
    Bottle sits slightly offset in the frame, but doesn't get in the way of my feet or anything. I put a bead of silicone caulk on the bottom of the cage and let it dry before I strapped it on so that there would be a grippy surface between the frame and cage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-20180504_114810%5B1%5D.jpg  

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-20180504_123147%5B1%5D.jpg  

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-20180504_123353%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Has anyone successfully done a paint touch up on their black insurgent? Looking for a paint code.. Samples I have donít match up, it seems like itís more charcoal than black. Emailed evil with an automated reply saying that have an email backlog and donít expect a reply any time soon...

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have. With a Sharpie. Not perfect but I don't care. It's a mountain bike and is "ok".

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Fanatik bike just put up Evil touch up paint on their website
    https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...touch-up-paint

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Rode this at a demo event last weekend......WOW. I never thought I'd enjoy a big bike, but now I feel like I have to have one!

mtbr member
    need new insurgent to drop.

mtbr member
    EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-screenshot_20180531-215442__01.jpg

Spotted the new Insurgent today, sorry for the bad picture but it's the only one I got. Talked to the guy for a bit (was someone from an Evil dealer), no geo changes, just new carbon layup, bottle mounts, metric shock and boost spacing, along with the new color which looks really good in person. He said it should be available sometime in June or July.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Like the colour! Seems like itís the bike they shouldíve made in the first place with boost and bottle mounts (obv no metric), but no geo changes? Youíd think they wouldíve considered seat angle/reach/WB lengthening. I guess all will be revealed soon anyway. Cheers for the shot 👍🏼

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ....and no bridge between the stays at the top? good move to improve mud clearance?

mtbr member
    Thanks man! Can't wait for some new info!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Some good improvements, but I really hope they listened to feedback and steepened the effective STA. Itís an awesome bike, but the STA is just too slack. It could be so much better for climbing if it was steeper. Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    You can basically save $1,000 opting for a '17 over an '18 so for those of us who don't ride with bottles is it worth it to swing for the new model? hmmmmm....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troodontinae View Post
    You can basically save $1,000 opting for a '17 over an '18 so for those of us who don't ride with bottles is it worth it to swing for the new model? hmmmmm....
    Why would you want to do that?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    @Gvus2001, is that white, gray, beige? Would be nice to see Insurgent//Wreckoning builds running Fox/DVO.

Hoping to demo both of these above along with a Mach 6, Firebird, HD4; trying to find the bike for a big guy like myself (6ft, 275).

Anyone around 250+lbs riding an Evil or any listed above?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    deleted
    Last edited by BigJZ74; 06-06-2018 at 02:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    @Gvus2001, is that white, gray, beige? Would be nice to see Insurgent//Wreckoning builds running Fox/DVO.

Hoping to demo both of these above along with a Mach 6, Firebird, HD4; trying to find the bike for a big guy like myself (6ft, 275).

Anyone around 250+lbs riding an Evil or any listed above?
    I am 5Ē11 280 geared up and have a Medium Insurgent. With the Insurgents leverage ratios u have to be careful of what shock you run as they run in pretty high pressures compared to body weight. I have an Ohlins STX22 Air rear shock that is specifically tuned for the Insurgent. I got the frame/shock from Fanatik and when I spoke to the guys there, they said at my weight which was 260 at the time, the Ohlins was the only shock that would work for me. At the time I was running about 225psi in the shock. Now Iím geared up at probably about 290 and run it at 245psi. You may see a lot online about Ohlins air shocks leaking but that was the the early ones. Current ones seem pretty good. I run a 180-150 Lyrik up front and a Ohlins out back. Close to 1000miles on it with the biggest drop I have done at 5ft. Still works flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I am 5Ē11 280 geared up and have a Medium Insurgent. With the Insurgents leverage ratios u have to be careful of what shock you run as they run in pretty high pressures compared to body weight. I have an Ohlins STX22 Air rear shock that is specifically tuned for the Insurgent. I got the frame/shock from Fanatik and when I spoke to the guys there, they said at my weight which was 260 at the time, the Ohlins was the only shock that would work for me. At the time I was running about 225psi in the shock. Now Iím geared up at probably about 290 and run it at 245psi. You may see a lot online about Ohlins air shocks leaking but that was the the early ones. Current ones seem pretty good. I run a 180-150 Lyrik up front and a Ohlins out back. Close to 1000miles on it with the biggest drop I have done at 5ft. Still works flawlessly.
    @BigJZ74, thatís all good info for almost any bike l feel like l may bottom out on drops over a couple of feet with most shocks out back. I donít know too much about Ohlinís but will look into the one youíre currently running; líd love to have a shock close to the DPX2 or the DVO our back but donít think those will fit in the Evil.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    @BigJZ74, thatís all good info for almost any bike l feel like l may bottom out on drops over a couple of feet with most shocks out back. I donít know too much about Ohlinís but will look into the one youíre currently running; líd love to have a shock close to the DPX2 or the DVO our back but donít think those will fit in the Evil.
    I couldn't figure out how to send u the pic of my Insurgent in the PM so here it is

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-insurgent.jpg

Just a rider.
    If you're on the Evil mailing list, it might be a good time to check your email...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by railleur View Post
    If you're on the Evil mailing list, it might be a good time to check your email...
    Share the love pls.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    From the email I got this part talks about the updates and colors. Also some dealers already have the new bikes for demo. LB stands for little better'er
    "We don't want to let the whole cat out of the bag just yet, but water bottle bosses (mounts) were added to the size medium through x-large frames, and the Insurgent has been upgraded to boost rear axle spacing. Most importantly, the new color schemes are ready to melt the internet. The Insurgent LB will be available in Freddy Mercury and Yogurt Truck, while the Wreckoning is set in Rusty Trombone and Fallout Green."

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I may be in the minority, but little better was just not enough to wait. I am so glad I picked up my frame in December. I run 2.5 tires in the rear no problem without boost, Water bottle strapped up so no gain there, and honestly I love the Slimeball color.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi, is anybody running a 30T on their Insurgent and if so have you been able to eliminate chain slap and how did you do it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooze12 View Post
    Hi, is anybody running a 30T on their Insurgent and if so have you been able to eliminate chain slap and how did you do it?
    I ride a transition patrol, also using 30t and i was having a lot of slap too. 5 cms / 2 inches black velcro helped a lot, but with rain and mud it's a pita to clean.

About this insurgent update, i cant avoid a bit disapointed. New colors that will melt internet? Come on....

Gonna demo an insurgent soon, maybe i'll get a bigger discount on the not so lb frame, or keep riding my Patrol for some time.

I'm 5'7, should i go medium or small? Reach is doable on both but Ttube on the medium is very long. Any real life feedback appreciatted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the reply. I am specifically interested as to whether anybody has managed to do it successfully with a 30T on an Insurgent (old not new version). Earlier in this thread people have had success with Velcro, mastic tape etc with 32T and 34T, but the chain runs so close to the chain stay on the Insurgent I am concerned that there isn't enough space left with a 30T to add Velcro or mastic to the chain stay. Hence the request for whether or not anybody has done this with a 30T.

mtbr member
    I ran my Insurgent with a 30tooth ring several times and did not have any problems. I wrapped the entire length of my chainstay with a tube split down the middle which got rid of most of the chains lap noise but not all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I cannot imagine no changes in the geometry

Just a rider.
    Has anyone heard more re: metric shock on the Insurgent LB? The Wreckoning didnít get updated, but it seems theyíre retooled the swingarm on the Insurgent. That means thereís maybe a chance we could see metric sizing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by railleur View Post
    Has anyone heard more re: metric shock on the Insurgent LB? The Wreckoning didnít get updated, but it seems theyíre retooled the swingarm on the Insurgent. That means thereís maybe a chance we could see metric sizing?
    It will remain the same size as the current frame, info directly from Evil.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What settings are you guys running on your Fox X2?

I'm 165lb, and running 160psi. 2018 version of the X2.

2 bands

LSR: 16
    HSR: 18
    LSC: 21
    HSC: 18

Currently using a bit too much travel, so added an extra click of HSC. Gonna have a shakedown ride today, and see if I need more psi, or an extra band.

wheelie king
    You should be running way more psi, like 40-60 psi above your weight. That's why you are using too much travel. I have a Topaz on my Insurgent, I run 230-235 and I weigh 180lbs.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You should be running way more psi, like 40-60 psi above your weight. That's why you are using too much travel. I have a Topaz on my Insurgent, I run 230-235 and I weigh 180lbs.
    That's the recommendation for the Monarch Plus from Evil. All shocks have different volume, and will have different damping configuration, so need different pressure.

The X2 doesn't require anywhere near the pressure of the Monarch. About 160psi is spot-on for my 160lb'ish weight.

For those that care, I wound on an extra click of HSC, which took care of the bottoming. And added a click of LSR and HSR to tame the back end a bit.

wheelie king
    Just curious, what is your sag measurement on the shock? Between 15 and 17mm?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just curious, what is your sag measurement on the shock? Between 15 and 17mm?
    Yep, bang on 17mm at riding weight. I had a run with the shock with an additional 10psi at the weekend and it felt very over sprung.

wheelie king
    Yep, bang on 17mm at riding weight. I had a run with the shock with an additional 10psi at the weekend and it felt very over sprung.
    Glad you found a setup that works. The Insurgent is such a good bike.

mtbr member
    New kid on the block finally

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-img_20180725_130323.jpg
    EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-img_20180725_130315.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You have way too much damping on there dude. Your shock will feel dead and skip over bumps rather than track it nicely.

The idea of damping is to control the activeness of the shock which is as little as you can get away with. This allows the shock to cycle through its travel as efficiently as possible. Over damp it and it wonít allow the shock to do what itís supposed to do.

Youíre fortunate enough to have all of the damping settings on the X2. LSC controls the first part of the stroke so for berms small hits in the trail etc so try 8 clicks from open to stop it blowing through this part of the travel too quickly.

HSC controls the second part so for much bigger hits like big landings etc. Let the volume reducers do their job here so try 2 clicks from open. Add another reducer before more HSC.

Rebound H&L speed, try 10 clicks from open. The idea is just enough to stop the pogo effect. If you find youíre pitching forward on jumps reduce your fork rebound so at fires back a bit quicker.

Iím not professing to be an expert here but itís made my Tracer astonishingly good. I took my cues from Chris Porter from Mojo.

https://youtu.be/HTOnkLVl5gU

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Malteza View Post
    You have way too much damping on there dude. Your shock will feel dead and skip over bumps rather than track it nicely.

The idea of damping is to control the activeness of the shock which is as little as you can get away with. This allows the shock to cycle through its travel as efficiently as possible. Over damp it and it wonít allow the shock to do what itís supposed to do.

Youíre fortunate enough to have all of the damping settings on the X2. LSC controls the first part of the stroke so for berms small hits in the trail etc so try 8 clicks from open to stop it blowing through this part of the travel too quickly.

HSC controls the second part so for much bigger hits like big landings etc. Let the volume reducers do their job here so try 2 clicks from open. Add another reducer before more HSC.

Rebound H&L speed, try 10 clicks from open. The idea is just enough to stop the pogo effect. If you find youíre pitching forward on jumps reduce your fork rebound so at fires back a bit quicker.

Iím not professing to be an expert here but itís made my Tracer astonishingly good. I took my cues from Chris Porter from Mojo.

https://youtu.be/HTOnkLVl5gU
    My settings were all from fully closed, which is how Fox likes to spec them. Do, from fully open I'm at ..

LSR: 8
    HSR: 6
    LSC: 3
    HSC: 4

DOOM
    Reference build if someone anyone is interested:

Large frame, carbon
    DVO Diamond 160mm
    Magura MT Trail Carbon brakes, 180mm Storm HC front and rear
    Stratline SSC 35mm stem (length is 35mm, 31.8mm clamp)
    Chromag Fubar 780mm handlebar, 40mm rise
    ODI Rogue
    Shimano Saint 10 speed rear shifter
    Wolftooth ReMote for dropper, Match Maker type mount for Magura
    DVO Topaz, tuned by DVO for Insurgent
    Chromag Trailmaster DT saddle
    Crank Brothers Highline 160mm dropper
    Raceface Atlas 170mm crank arms with RF 30t NW ring
    Canfield Crampon Ultimate
    MRP XCG 32t bash
    Shimano 11-36 XT 10 speed cassette
    Saint 10 speed RD
    Spank Oozy Trail 295 27.5 rims, 25mm width
    Hope Pro4 hubs front and rear

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-img_20180804_071715966.jpgEVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-img_20180804_065313307.jpg

I have a handful of rides on this setup so far and I have to say it kicks ass.

Very planted feel and I have quite a bit of time on a Heckler single pivot and I have missed that bike since I let it go.

The Insurgent is similar in quite a few aspects but turned up to 11.

I would summarize the Insurgent as the benefits of a single pivot ride just like I remember but none of the less great parts of a single pivot ride come through.

They should have called this bike the Diablo because it feels like you have a little cartoon devil sitting on your shoulder egging you on the whole time you ride it - faster you weenie!

The only thing so far I'm going to change is to swap out the Magura brake levers for the HC levers as I have those on my Nomad and I prefer the feel of them.

mtbr member
    Would anyone mind posting up the insurgent shock size? Can't seem to find it anywhere...Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Would anyone mind posting up the insurgent shock size? Can't seem to find it anywhere...Thanks.
    200*57 , 22*8 hardware, which is 21.8mm or 22.2mm, both work, the larger is a little tighter fit, so go smaller

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Putting together an Insurgent next week. Does anyone currently run a 150mm fork? Thoughts? Looking to make the bike trail and climb friendly.

mtbr member
    You can go with a 150mm fork for better climbing but I have a 160mm Lyrik and it climbs so much better then any bike I had (2016 Transition Patrol and Banshee Spitfire )

mtbr member
    I also have a 160mm Lyrik, and my Insurgent climbs as well as my Giant trail bike which has only 120 mm front and rear, and better than any of the half dozen other 140mm to 160mm bikes I have tested.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    160mm Pike on mine. Would not consider 150mm since it climbs so well already. Would go Lyrik 160mm if I were buying a new bike.

Push eleven six made a significant improvement for climbing though. Sticks to the ground like vacuum suction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1078 View Post
    Putting together an Insurgent next week. Does anyone currently run a 150mm fork? Thoughts? Looking to make the bike trail and climb friendly.
    I've been running an Insurgent with a 150 Pike for a couple of seasons now. Looking at the geo charts, I thought the numbers looked a little friendlier on the 150 side for big days with climbs into the alpine.

Emailed Evil before moving forward with the build and heard back that some of their guys were running the same set-up at the time and thought it made for a better all-arounder.

I don't think you can make a bad decision on fork size with the Insurgent, but for me, the 150 doesn't feel under-gunned at all, plus it speeds up the handling a bit and makes heinous climbs a little less shitty.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a needle bearing kit for your shock. It makes a big difference and costs next to nothing.

mtbr member
    anyone know what, if any, the difference between the 2017 Insurgent and the new Insurgent LB, other than bottle holder mounts, is?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    anyone know what, if any, the difference between the 2017 Insurgent and the new Insurgent LB, other than bottle holder mounts, is?
    It's rear end has been boosted also.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if itís been boosted enough to take a 2.6 tire ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bart.taylor.sucks View Post
    I've been running an Insurgent with a 150 Pike for a couple of seasons now. Looking at the geo charts, I thought the numbers looked a little friendlier on the 150 side for big days with climbs into the alpine.

Emailed Evil before moving forward with the build and heard back that some of their guys were running the same set-up at the time and thought it made for a better all-arounder.

I don't think you can make a bad decision on fork size with the Insurgent, but for me, the 150 doesn't feel under-gunned at all, plus it speeds up the handling a bit and makes heinous climbs a little less shitty.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a needle bearing kit for your shock. It makes a big difference and costs next to nothing.
    Thanks for the tip about the fork length and for the needle bearings. Guessing they make the action smoother at the pivot? I'm going to try it at 160mm first, then step down if it's too much for climbing. Also trying out a float X2 for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by railntrail View Post
    Does anyone know if itís been boosted enough to take a 2.6 tire ?

As far as I can see, it's still a 2.5" max.

DOOM
    10mm isn't a big difference between forks really. I would say that the quality of the fork would be the trump card - better fork at X travel is better than a fork with more travel if it doesn't have the goods.

Would second the needle bearing on the Insurgent. I run them on all my bikes so I can't really say that not running the bearings on the Insurgent would be horrible but I have run other frames with and without (Heckler, Nomad, Warden) and the needle bearing kit definitely made a significant difference.

Currently I have a 26" Nomad 2 and a 27.5" Warden.

Nomad has a 170mm Vengeance HLR air on it and the Warden had a 160mm Diamond on it.

The Diamond moved over to the Insurgent and I would say that the Insurgent climbs better than the Warden and is equal to the Nomad and maybe a bit better.

The reach on the Nomad is a fair amount shorter than the Insurgent and some of this could be a switch to 170mm cranks on the Insurgent, I don't have enough data points yet to be sure.

I do know that the Warden would make me feel like I had put in a much longer and strenuous ride compared to the same trails on the Nomad and the Insurgent.

I think the Warden needs the right platform setup where the Insurgent feels active but not wallowing when going uphill - doesn't matter if this is a long uphill or a series of punchy up/down type small hills.

The Insurgent feels efficient without feeling like it is sucking the life out of you on the hills.

Long story short I would say that if the fork you like is 150mm rock it.

Hope some of this is useful info.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip about the fork length and for the needle bearings. Guessing they make the action smoother at the pivot?
    Yes. More supple off the top. The Delta System has a lot of rotation around the upper shock mount early in the stroke and the needle bearings make a noticeable difference for ~$35.00.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I got the Insurgent built up with a 160mm fork and a float X2. It is surprisingly nimble for the amount of travel it has. I thought it would feel bigger than it does. Still messing with the suspension settings, but so far I really like it. It's super comfortable when going down steep rolls, way more than my MB. It still climbs well too. With the fork at 160mm and 170mm cranks, I still had a few pedal strikes. Really glad I went with the longer fork!

(Mismatched wheel is a loaner)

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-a3i8szx.jpg
    Last edited by Dave1078; 08-23-2018 at 08:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Need some quick help. Anyone running a 150mm reverb slammed to the collar on a medium insurgent? I have a 170mm and it def does not fit on my medium lb (slammed). Let me know!
    Last edited by manhattanprjkt83; 08-23-2018 at 05:17 AM.

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Need some quick help. Anyone running a 150mm reverb slammed to the collar on a medium insurgent? I have a 170mm and it def does not fit on my medium lb (slammed). Let me know!
    the 150mm will not bottom out either due to the frame guide noodle. It does bend the reverb hydro line making it impossible to lower all the way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pvflyer View Post
    the 150mm will not bottom out either due to the frame guide noodle. It does bend the reverb hydro line making it impossible to lower all the way.
    On another forum someone mentioned going with a Oneup dropper, it is both the shortest dropper, and is adjustable. So if when slammed the amount of raise and drop can be shortened by adding a shim to make it come up a little less. you could shim it to be a 145mm if that is what would give the right seat height extended. And the adjustment can be done with no tools. (Well you need cutters to adjust the shim length to what is right for you.)

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys, that was me as well on pinkbike asking the same question...Was in a Jam...one up is a good option...I'll take a look into that.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the small size Insurgent lb, will have bottle mounts?
    Or is the frame so squeezed that even a small bottle would not fit?
    I ve seen that the Calling has it,so.....
    Thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-20181011_111521.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-20181011_111513.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post

Name:	20181011_111521.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	1220450
    got out for a ride on the insurgent. after 3 years I still love it! fork is a fox 36 180mm, and it's a beast on my local dh trails and still pedals great. I own a wreck too and get asked which one is better but that's like trying to pick which one of my kids I love more...cant do it.wreck does get ridden a bit more. fun to go back to 27.5 wheels after riding 29ers for a bit. feels like riding a bmx bike.

anyways with all the love for the offering going on I thought I'd post a pick from my ride, getting some great weather here in the pnw.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Hello all! After a few different demo rides and pouring over a rather elaborate spreadsheet full of geo numbers.. I pulled the trigger on a XL Insurgent frame. (EVO has a deal on the 2017 frames right now. FYI)

Over the past couple days I have thumbed my way through this thread and it sounds like one of the first things I need to do is replace the top shock bushing with the RWC needle bearing and purchase some volume spacers for the rear shock. Aside from that.. build it up and rip it. Am I missing anything?

I didnt see anything specific, but if I run a 30mm internal width wheel, will I be able to squeeze a 2.5 Maxxis in? (High Roller II or Aggressor)

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Congrats. No issue w/ the 2.5 Maxxis tires, which I find run a little narrower. Maybe consider a DHF up front if you've run one yet.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks. My current set up on my Trek is a Minion DHF and HRII. It has worked fairly well out here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I run 2.6 DHF/DHR on my Insurgent w/ no issues. I am in NorCal though so no mud

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I run 2.6 DHF/DHR on my Insurgent w/ no issues. I am in NorCal though so no mud
    I tried running a magic mary 2.6 rear. it fit but any mud and it would scrape the stays. went with a 2.5 shorty that has not had any issues and put the mm 2.6 up frony....great combo for the winter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jbmccrar View Post
    Hello all! After a few different demo rides and pouring over a rather elaborate spreadsheet full of geo numbers.. I pulled the trigger on a XL Insurgent frame. (EVO has a deal on the 2017 frames right now. FYI)

Over the past couple days I have thumbed my way through this thread and it sounds like one of the first things I need to do is replace the top shock bushing with the RWC needle bearing and purchase some volume spacers for the rear shock. Aside from that.. build it up and rip it. Am I missing anything?

I didnt see anything specific, but if I run a 30mm internal width wheel, will I be able to squeeze a 2.5 Maxxis in? (High Roller II or Aggressor)

Thanks!
    I don't think you're going to die if you opt out of the needle bearing swap. I'm just running a DPX2 with the standard bushings and the small bump sensitivity is awesome.

mtbr member
    Hi there,I'm a happy owner of a Medium Insurgent,anyone swap a Debonair for a DPX2? What's the feedback?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Has anyone ran a Raceface NextR crank and Raceface BB on the 2017 (non-boost) Insurgent? I just installed mine and it looks like the chain line may be a bit wide. Im sure I can space the chain guide out but im worried about the chain line, especially when in higher gears. (will be running a 11 speed)

Thanks.

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jbmccrar View Post
    Has anyone ran a Raceface NextR crank and Raceface BB on the 2017 (non-boost) Insurgent? I just installed mine and it looks like the chain line may be a bit wide. Im sure I can space the chain guide out but im worried about the chain line, especially when in higher gears. (will be running a 11 speed)

Thanks.
    I spaced my chain-guide and voila no prob. I use a different BB though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by pvflyer View Post
    I spaced my chain-guide and voila no prob. I use a different BB though.
    Same here, I had to throw couple of nylon washers.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This thread's been going for over 3 years now. There must be some insight from those who've had their Insurgent for a while, and played around with different setups.

I found that my Fox X2 feels better with zero bands in, and a bit more air, and no compression damping, both rebound about 7 clicks from fully closed.

The X2 doesn't climb that well with that setup, even with climb switch on, and doesn't feel that poppy, but it's great for uplift.

The Monarch RC3 feels like a good compromise, back to back against the Fox Float X it actually feels almost identical. The bonus with the RC3 is the rebound is easy to adjust. It's a good shock as a daily driver, weight+20ish is good for me.

Lower headset bearing gets destroyed easily in wet weather, and needs replacing often. Even high quality bearings, so I just buy cheap and often.

Reverbs don't fit that low, but if you remove the connectamajig then they can insert about an inch lower.

Chainslap can make the rear end sound like it's cracking to pieces. The best remedy by a long way is draft exclusion foam, it needs replacing every couple of months if you ride in the wet, but it silences the noise.

Schwalbe HansDampf 2.35 tyres in the rear are a bad idea, they drag up mud and stones, clogging the rear and scratching the paint.

Depending on the crank, or the chainring, the spacing of the chainline can cause rubbing on the chainguide. Bottom bracket spacers of 1mm and 0.5mm can make this really perfect to setup well.

Greasing the bolts for the frame works really well to stop them seizing, and torquing them up to spec means they don't work loose.

Final insight from me, is that this is a very awkward bike to carry up mountains on your back. If you lift it so that the wheels are close to your head, the linkage doesn't dig into your shoulders.

What have you learned, that will help other owners - new or old??

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    You hit on the salient points.

A couple of things to add: the Maxxis DHF up front is fantastic (as it is on most bikes).

Push elevensix makes climbing easier (back tire sticks like glue) and encourages hooliganism on the dh's. Loses a bit of pop on the small hips, so you just gotta go a bit faster for those (oh darn).

Was running a Pike 160mm since bike was new. Just put the 2018 Fox 36 170mm GRIP2 (PUSH'ed!) on and it made a very nice and noticeable difference. Really can't believe how much better it is.

Three years in and I don't expect to be replacing the bike any time soon. So good!

on a routine expedition
    Forgive the spam, but I thought some here might be interested in these ads:

Here's a Push ElevenSix that was on my Insurgent
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...0-x-57mm&cat=9

And here are some Evil parts kits (all fit the Insurgent, but many work for other Evil frames as well)
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...ts-kits&cat=29

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-elevensix_view1.jpg

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-insurgenthardware_all.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone on here with any experience with the Avy ssd/HSB mod on the monarch? It's time for a service , so I was thinking about just sending it to Avy. The 11/6 is too rich for me and I'm thinking I'd get better results with a custom tune then switching to a float x2 or other shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So I got a used insurgent frame a couple of mounts ago! And I did a quick build up with the parts I had over from the last bike.

Frame
    EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-995efdf8-eb51-4f30-9b8f-4aaca24f4beb.jpg

EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-0a6238bd-282d-48b4-8b32-d41e8e0fd778.jpg

Got the back end sorted out...
    EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-5a002372-2136-4252-9ea1-93ae540bf163.jpg

Fork on!
    EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-1983b0da-5591-4005-b514-1c3122033e89.jpg

Almost done.
    EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-220c26c8-f66f-43e6-89f0-a307900e58f9.jpg

Done!
    EVIL Insurgent - Booyah!!!-d9292bcd-c0fd-4c25-94a5-04f4f4ded548.jpg

So itís a 2016 inseurgent size L with a 170mm yari fork up front. American classic wide lightning wheels and a 170mm dropper post from oneup, SRAM Eagle GX drivetrain and Magura MT trail brakes. What a bike!

DOOM
    Very nice, I'm always a sucker for that frame color!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grynning View Post
    So I got a used insurgent frame a couple of mounts ago! And I did a quick build up with the parts I had over from the last bike.

Frame

Name:	995EFDF8-EB51-4F30-9B8F-4AACA24F4BEB.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	257.0 KB 
ID:	1239022

Name:	0A6238BD-282D-48B4-8B32-D41E8E0FD778.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	262.4 KB 
ID:	1239023

Got the back end sorted out...

Name:	5A002372-2136-4252-9EA1-93AE540BF163.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	281.0 KB 
ID:	1239024

Fork on!

Name:	1983B0DA-5591-4005-B514-1C3122033E89.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	1239025

Almost done.

Name:	220C26C8-F66F-43E6-89F0-A307900E58F9.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	1239026

Done!

Name:	D9292BCD-C0FD-4C25-94A5-04F4F4DED548.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	339.5 KB 
ID:	1239027

So itís a 2016 inseurgent size L with a 170mm yari fork up front. American classic wide lightning wheels and a 170mm dropper post from oneup, SRAM Eagle GX drivetrain and Magura MT trail brakes. What a bike!
    Very nice! I have one of these.

Be careful clamping the frame, you can damage the carbon - always clamp it by the seatpost.

Hope you enjoy it! It's a monster agile machine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by silentG View Post
    Very nice, I'm always a sucker for that frame color!
    Thanks, yeah it stands out in a crowd!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rhynohead View Post
    Anyone on here with any experience with the Avy ssd/HSB mod on the monarch? It's time for a service , so I was thinking about just sending it to Avy. The 11/6 is too rich for me and I'm thinking I'd get better results with a custom tune then switching to a float x2 or other shock.
    I had the SSD mod done on my Monarch - very worthwhile upgrade IMO - you lose nothing in the pedalling department and gain much more capable downhill performance- done about 150hrs on the tune so far - mine was the Enduro tune -seems to suit the bike well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Haim View Post
    I had the SSD mod done on my Monarch - very worthwhile upgrade IMO - you lose nothing in the pedalling department and gain much more capable downhill performance- done about 150hrs on the tune so far - mine was the Enduro tune -seems to suit the bike well.
    Awesome to hear. I've had other Avy shocks in the past so I'm confident it'll be what I'm looking for. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey Guys,

I've sent this photo over to Evil. I was refreshing my invisiframe, and peeled off a bit behind the chainstay brace, and some paint came off with it. I think it's just a scratch from a stone before the invisiframe went on.

But... Do you guys agree it looks like a scratch, with missing paint. Or does it look like a crack?

It doesn't have the jagged edges I've seen with carbon cracks before.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey Guys,

I've sent this photo over to Evil. I was refreshing my invisiframe, and peeled off a bit behind the chainstay brace, and some paint came off with it. I think it's just a scratch from a stone before the invisiframe went on.

But... Do you guys agree it looks like a scratch, with missing paint. Or does it look like a crack?

It doesn't have the jagged edges I've seen with carbon cracks before.

I don't know shit about shit, but of the carbon failures I've seen this doesn't look like one of them. This looks more like a stress crack in the paint than it does a carbon failure. I've seen a few of these on friends bikes that they still ride without issue today.

Learning to jump
    Jun 2015
    I cracked my rear triangle seat stay and it was squeaking like crazy. If itís not making any noise, there is a good chance itís just cosmetic.

2015 Evil Following

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The guys from Evil have had a look and confirmed it's not a crack, just cosmetic paint damage. So all good

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Bit late to the party but I just finished building up newly acquired insurgent frame.

Got a dhx2 here for it to matchy the acs3 coil in my fork. I do want to try out the vivid air though and possibly keep both shocks.

I am 220lbs can anyone recommend some base setting for the vivid? I have 260psi in there now for 30% sag

The build:

Frame: Evil Insurgent (large)
    Shock: Rockshox vivid air
    Fork: 2018 Fox 36 factory RC2 with push acs3 coil conversion (black spring)
    Seatpost: Brand X 150mm
    Saddle: Ragley
    Headset: FSA
    Stem: Raceface atlas 50mm
    Handlebars: Spank spoon 785mm
    Grips: Easton lock on (thick)
    Brakes: Hope tech V4 with braided lines
    Rotors: Hope floating rotors (203mm front and rear)
    Rims: Nextie AM layup 32h 38mm external
    Hubs: Industry 9 torch classic 32h
    Spokes: DT swiss competition with brass nipples
    Tyres: Front - Maxxis minion DHF 2.6 x 27.5
    Rear - Maxxis DHR 2.4 x 27.5
    Shifter: XT M8000
    Derailleur: XT M8000 11sp
    Cassette: XT 11-42 11sp
    Chain: Ultegra 11sp
    Cranks: SLX M7000 175mm
    Chainring: SLX 32T
    Bottom bracket: XT M800
    Pedals: Hope f20
    Chainguide: Evil integrated guide

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've been inspired by Martin Maes to try throwing a 29er fork (160) and wheel on my Insurgent. Been riding it this way for a few weeks now including a 4 day trip to Moab and it's amazing. When the chip is flipped to Xtra low it has the same bb height as it normally has in low. The rolling speed is noticeably faster, way faster! I'm assuming it rolls faster not just because of the larger wheel but the combo of how slack it is with the large wheel. The cornering is also next level. I won't be setting any speed records uphill but the climbing is pretty good with the super fast roll over......I rarely post on mtbr but I feel compelled to by this. If you have a fork and wheel laying around, give it a try, it's awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have an extra fox 29er fork laying around my shop. I'm gonna try this set up too!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Iíve got a Gen1 slimeball frame, size L, with a ÷hlins coil shock if anyone is interested...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I am grabbing a secondhand 11.6 for my insurgent.

I weigh 230lbs ready to ride.

Wondering if there are any other riders out there in this weight range and what rate spring they have.

It currently has a 600lb spring.

Previously I have had an 11.6 on a nomad and a banshee rune and had 500lb and 525lbs. Worried the 600lb might be too heavy, but unsure how the leverage ratio and shorter stroke will affect this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrizzle View Post
    I am grabbing a secondhand 11.6 for my insurgent.

I weigh 230lbs ready to ride.

Wondering if there are any other riders out there in this weight range and what rate spring they have.

It currently has a 600lb spring.

Previously I have had an 11.6 on a nomad and a banshee rune and had 500lb and 525lbs. Worried the 600lb might be too heavy, but unsure how the leverage ratio and shorter stroke will affect this.

Iím in the same weight range and have a 640lb spring on my ÷hlins coil. Its for sale too...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm 205 fully kitted and run a 575 spring in my 11/6 . ran a 600lb spring when I had the fox dhx2 on it. insurgent has great mid support so going with a lighter spring works well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Love it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What length fork did you run before and what do you run now? Offset? Any head angle change? Very interested

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    So the time has come and I have finally finished building up this beast.

Insurgent LB L size
    MRP Ribbon air 160 mm
    Hayes dominion 200 mm rotors f/r
    Etirteen trs dropper 170 mm
    Ergon enduro saddle
    Ergon GD1 factory gips
    RaceFace Atlas 785 bar
    Deity copperhead 30 mm 31,5 clamp stem
    Shimano XT 11 spd shifter, mech
    Etirteen 9-46 cassette
    Sram chain =only sram part on the bike
    Wolftooth 30t chainring
    RaceFace Turbine 175 cranks
    RaceFace BB
    Project 321 boost hubs
    DT swiss ex511 rims 30 mm ID
    DT swiss competition 2.0-1.8 spokes, 15mm brass nipples
    Continental der Baron 2.4 f/r, tubeless
    Fireeye pedals

Needs a badhguard and brake cables shortened, otherwise very happy with the outcome.

Odoslanť z M1 pomocou Tapatalku

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Has anyone checked out the deals on frames at EVO? I'm so close to pulling the trigger on an XL frame for $1500!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by telethinline View Post
    Has anyone checked out the deals on frames at EVO? I'm so close to pulling the trigger on an XL frame for $1500!
    I picked an XL frame up from them earlier this season. I was on a Large and always felt like I wanted a little more room up front. At $1500 I couldn't pass it up. It's such a fun bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
    I picked an XL frame up from them earlier this season. I was on a Large and always felt like I wanted a little more room up front. At $1500 I couldn't pass it up. It's such a fun bike.
    How tall are you? I'm between sizes at 6' 2" but I demo'd an XL and slammed the saddle forward. Not only did that help shorten up the top tube but helped steepen seat angle that all the reviews say is too slack. The only issue I had was the wandering front wheel on climbs, but that was a 160mm fork and 35mm rise bars, I plan on running 150mm fork and 25mm bars so I think that will help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by telethinline View Post
    How tall are you? I'm 6' 2" and plan on slamming the saddle forward and using a 150mm fork for steepest seat angle.
    I'm 6' even. The XL only has a reach of 468mm so equivalent to most L's you see today. The seat angle is a bit slack so you're pushed away from the bar a bit with the post at full extension but slamming the seat forward helps with climbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Man.. that deal is good. My insurgent is a medium, which is way too small for me at 6'1 (given modern trends). I got it 3 years ago, loved it, but have been riding a larger bike for about a year, which feels better all around.

I don't ride the insurgent as much these days, but for that price, it may be worth the upgrade.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've got a '17 Insurgent. Couple of questions I wanted to run by the regulars.

-What grease are you guys using to keep the creeps down in the linkage system? I've tried just about all, the heaviest bearing grease gives me about 6 rides worth of creep-free riding before having to re-grease again. Just curious.

-Considering a Fox DPX2 to replace the RS. What the general consensus on the DPX2 when mated with the frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    All the bearings are sealed. If you're getting creaking after lubing the bearings it might be time to replace them. I use Slick Honey because it plays nice with the seals and keeps moisture out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NuckaMan View Post
    I've got a '17 Insurgent. Couple of questions I wanted to run by the regulars.

-What grease are you guys using to keep the creeps down in the linkage system? I've tried just about all, the heaviest bearing grease gives me about 6 rides worth of creep-free riding before having to re-grease again. Just curious.

-Considering a Fox DPX2 to replace the RS. What the general consensus on the DPX2 when mated with the frame?
    I tried out both a DPX2 and an X2 on the Insurgent. The DPX2 seems like a great all-arounder. Lots of support to push off of (tunable LSC), good small bump performance, and able to absorb big hits well. It depends on what you're looking to solve for though. If you want better downhill performance, the X2 or a coil would be even better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I tried out both a DPX2 and an X2 on the Insurgent. The DPX2 seems like a great all-arounder. Lots of support to push off of (tunable LSC), good small bump performance, and able to absorb big hits well. It depends on what you're looking to solve for though. If you want better downhill performance, the X2 or a coil would be even better.
    Thanks Dave-
    Just looking for a solid all-rounder. The RS has been great for me, but I got a slightly used DPX2 at a excellent price and I am just more familiar servicing Fox stuff more than RS....which is why I am making the switch. Stupid silly reason really.

Any hardware differences when swapping? like spacers/bushings and stuff?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
    All the bearings are sealed. If you're getting creaking after lubing the bearings it might be time to replace them. I use Slick Honey because it plays nice with the seals and keeps moisture out.
    I'll check the bearing once again. I thought they were solid last grease session. I'll take another closer look at them. Thanks.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast