Evil Following 140 Pike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Evil Following 140 Pike

I just bought a 2016 evil Following and it has a 140 pike on it. Right now the chip is in the high setting in the rear. Are most of you with 140 forks running the delta link in high vs low setting??

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I ran mine in the highest setting, which is "Low" versus "X-Low". It's best for technical trails and climbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I run "High" mode for my 2016 with Fox 36 140mm

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Have either of you tried it in ďLowĒ mode? Pros/cons?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Nope. It's good if you're at a park and don't have to climb much though. My trails are too punchy for it to be of use. I'd also get more pedal strikes. I haven't felt like the HTA was too steep in low when descending either.

Pros of X-low would be:
    Lower bottom bracket
    Slacker head tube angle
    *Slightly* longer wheelbase

Cons:
    Slacker seat tube (affects climbing)
    Less ground clearance

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert2083 View Post
    Have either of you tried it in ďLowĒ mode? Pros/cons?
    Most of the time it's in "High" mode. I've run 150mm in "Low" at Downieville.

Pros in "Low" : more slacked out for better stability during downhill. Climbing is fine
    Cons in "Low" : pedal strikes. Flat corners need more front weight bias for traction

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1078 View Post
    I ran mine in the highest setting, which is "Low" versus "X-Low". It's best for technical trails and climbs.
    Links on 2016 are label "High" and "Low". MB adopted Calling/Insurg/Wreck "Low" and "X-Low".

Angles hasn't changed other than wheelbase/reach

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ibis315 View Post
    Links on 2016 are label "High" and "Low". MB adopted Calling/Insurg/Wreck "Low" and "X-Low".

Angles hasn't changed other than wheelbase/reach
    Thank you for clearing that up! Definitely had me confused.

Appreciate everyoneís insight! Iím loving the bike so far!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert2083 View Post
    Thank you for clearing that up! Definitely had me confused.

Appreciate everyoneís insight! Iím loving the bike so far!
    Next time you service the Monarch, get the Avalanche mod :

Rockshox Monarch SSD/HSB Modifications

It'll make the bike "More Better"

mtbr member
    Im very close to having a 140mm pike and a -1 works headset. if im right, my HA would be 66.34 and my SA ( i may be wrong with this one) will be 75.34. Wheelbase will be a tad about 1162.

Comparing the ibis ripmo that i just demoed at NEMBAfest. The following will be relatively close too the geo of the new ripmo, except the following will have a smaller wheelbase (which I like).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NHMB View Post
    Im very close to having a 140mm pike and a -1 works headset. if im right, my HA would be 66.34 and my SA ( i may be wrong with this one) will be 75.34. Wheelbase will be a tad about 1162.

Comparing the ibis ripmo that i just demoed at NEMBAfest. The following will be relatively close too the geo of the new ripmo, except the following will have a smaller wheelbase (which I like).
    Your HA will be slacker than 66.34 degrees. The Pike in 140 mm has an A2C length of 551mm. So with the Works -1 degree HS your HA should be around 65.5 degrees.

I have a Works -1 degree headset on my 2015 Following and I run both a RS-1/ 120mm (526mm A2C) at 66.6 deg HA in high mode and a MRP Stage 140mm (547mm A2C) at 65.6 deg HA in high mode. The Works HS only added maybe .2 of and inch of wheelbase length to the bike and steepened the seat angle probably 1/2 of a degree as compared to the stock headset. I like the steeper seat angle especially when climbing. The slacker HA is good as far as bike handling it feels a little more planted or stable at speed and maybe a touch slower on lower speed steering input but hardly noticeable as far as steering goes.

I really think it works well with the Following and it's relatively short wheelbase for a trail 29r, it's still playful and poppy and the slacker HA gives it more stability at speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Your HA will be slacker than 66.34 degrees. The Pike in 140 mm has an A2C length of 551mm. So with the Works -1 degree HS your HA should be around 65.5 degrees.

I have a Works -1 degree headset on my 2015 Following and I run both a RS-1/ 120mm (526mm A2C) at 66.6 deg HA in high mode and a MRP Stage 140mm (547mm A2C) at 65.6 deg HA in high mode. The Works HS only added maybe .2 of and inch of wheelbase length to the bike and steepened the seat angle probably 1/2 of a degree as compared to the stock headset. I like the steeper seat angle especially when climbing. The slacker HA is good as far as bike handling it feels a little more planted or stable at speed and maybe a touch slower on lower speed steering input but hardly noticeable as far as steering goes.

I really think it works well with the Following and it's relatively short wheelbase for a trail 29r, it's still playful and poppy and the slacker HA gives it more stability at speed.
    really? I ask because I looked it up on - https://bikegeo.muha.cc/
    .... ok I did it a tad wrong. with a 140mm pike it shows it would be 66.95. so with a -1 angleset it would be 65.95 (basically 66). SA would be 74.08. Wheelbase would be 1173....Evil Following 140 Pike-140-pike-1-angleset.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NHMB View Post
    really? I ask because I looked it up on - https://bikegeo.muha.cc/
    .... ok I did it a tad wrong. with a 140mm pike it shows it would be 66.95. so with a -1 angleset it would be 65.95 (basically 66). SA would be 74.08. Wheelbase would be 1173....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	140 pike and -1 angleset.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	1205168
    I donít think you have the correct data plugged in for the 130 travel geo. Look at the Evil geo chart on the V1 Following. The A2C for the 130mm fork is based on the older Fox 32 with an A2C of 530.8mm netting the 67.4 deg HA in the high setting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    im basing this on the v2. I saw on a site the a2c for the 130 is 541 and the 140mm is 551 for the pikes. This is all based on the low setting, not x-low.

mtbr member
    The V1 used the data I mentioned in the last post and Iíve confirmed my geo with actual measurements. Youíll end up slacker in the HA but donít worry it works out well.

Iíve owned my #49 production frame from the second batch for 3.5 years and have done a few different builds of it. Itís a great bike!

mtbr member
    Yea, I think im going for it. Thanks for the input

mtbr member
    Jadyn Welch at Fanatik Bike had his original V1 Following set up this way and also built his MB with the Works -1 degree AS. It helps keep the stack height down with the 140 and maintains a steeper seat angle which helps the climbing with this bike and itís short rear center. Enjoy the bike!