Evil Customer Service - How is it- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    442

    Evil Customer Service - How is it

    When you deal with warranty issues with Evil, how is it? how is their customer service?

    i am following (and started) the thread in Yeti about issues with the new 130/150. These bikes were on my short list to ride at Outerbike this month, along with some Evil's.

    Customer Service can be a big thing, curious how Evil is now (as I think they had issues in the past?)

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Energ8t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    27

    Evil Customer Service - How is it

    I have a Following v1 and had to warranty the front triangle around June due to issues with the PF BB shell (no longer an issue with the newer bikes). For the most part the process was pretty straight forward. There was a few communication hiccups where I had no responses coming and I had to continue to email/call more than desired to get some responses. I had a big trip to Whistler coming up in early July and required time prepare and to rebuild my bike. I admit, I got a bit angry over the lack of communication (multiple times) and follow up, etc. If it weren’t for me calling back and checking in, the frame wouldn’t have made back to me in time. In the end, they had to overnight the frame to me and I had to stay up till 2am putting my bike together before a three day drive. Most definitely it could have been avoided, it could have been timelier, and less stressful for me since the bike is the backbone of my entire trip. Was this a one time mishap? Perhaps. One of the two people (names aren’t necessary) I was dealing with was going out-of-town (as he mentioned to me) and sort of dropped the ball on handing off my case resulting in a week of radio silence. The subsequent needs to call and confirm were also not really confidence inspiring.

    As an in-house product designer for many years, I understand some of the factors they may be dealing with. They can be understaffed, just busy with orders, traveling, etc. I get it and I am very understanding. One of the reasons I bought an Evil is because I believe in the value of supporting local business and I really love the ride of my bike. I still love it and I still am completely happy with the quality. The guys were always very friendly and cordial regardless of me getting pissed behind closed doors a few times. So I somewhat reluctantly give them a 4/5 stars for the warranty service overall. I upped it for the reasons I just mentioned. If they want to improve, they need to be Johnny-on-spot with responses and communication, especially when we’re talking about a +$3000 frame. It did take time out of my schedule and cause me some headaches when it shouldn’t have, but in the end, they did follow through and were fair. My frame is working perfectly now. Love my bike still and I’m unfortunately (ok, not really) spotting out that new Offering which is right up my alley. Don’t really have the extra flow for a new one at the moment, but still...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Energ8t; 10-15-2018 at 06:36 PM.

  3. #3
    ZEN RIDER!
    Reputation: Mt.Biker E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    952
    I had an issue with a lower shock bolt and then the shock itself. I sent an email on both occasions and then followed up with a phone call a day or two later. Dylan was nothing short of awesome to deal with. He sent my wife and I t-shirts after resolving both issues promptly and 2nd day aired the shock bolt and also a brand new shock, along with a return tag.
    Having worked as a lone warranty writer for a different industry I know how swamped and back logged warranty & service can become, especially during in season or just before it. It sucks to be on either end of it, so I always go out of my way to be pleasant and understanding when dealing with warranty.
    I would give Evil an excellent score for both of my warranty issues.
    Life in every breath

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    641
    There was a horror story posted on here a few months ago. Even though the demo ride I had was nothing short of excellent, I definitely would not ever buy one of their bikes after reading that. Your story makes it two.

    Warranty and service should never be compromised, ever. It should be the one part of a company like this where you never spend time on hold, decisions are made quickly, and claims are resolved ASAP. It is known up front that you're dealing with an upset customer. Making it right as quickly as possible is the only possible answer.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    There was a horror story posted on here a few months ago. Even though the demo ride I had was nothing short of excellent, I definitely would not ever buy one of their bikes after reading that. Your story makes it two.

    Warranty and service should never be compromised, ever. It should be the one part of a company like this where you never spend time on hold, decisions are made quickly, and claims are resolved ASAP. It is known up front that you're dealing with an upset customer. Making it right as quickly as possible is the only possible answer.
    Everything posted in this treads has to be taken with a grain of salt and those kind of rants even more. Read between the lines, analyze pictures and videos... IMHO that's a very low credibility story.

  6. #6
    ZEN RIDER!
    Reputation: Mt.Biker E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by maindog View Post
    Everything posted in this treads has to be taken with a grain of salt and those kind of rants even more. Read between the lines, analyze pictures and videos... IMHO that's a very low credibility story.
    crashing into a tree and painting a new frame isn't covered under warranty . why paint a new frame unless it has damage or has been beaten to crap. Then berating the warranty person and posting rant after rant online to bully ones way to a resolution until someone posts a video of a crash into a tree, which in turn is taking down and renamed to hide it.
    Life in every breath

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drapeado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    190
    One thing is for sure Lardo, i would scratch those 2 Yeti bikes from "my list", too many issues for the money involved.

    I

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    75
    I've had nothing but good experiences from any of my times in dealing with Evil. You'd need to call if you wanted faster service. For more detailed stuff, I tend to email so I can refer back to it later (like with frame/shock setup recommendations).

    I think you're looking at two very different mindsets between Yeti and Evil though. I am lucky enough to have both. Yeti seems to be more about getting you from point A to point B as fast as possible. Evil seems to be more about having the most fun in between those two points. Take my point of view with a grain of salt though.

    But as said above, don't bash your bike into trees and rocks, then blame Evil. haha

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by maindog View Post
    Everything posted in this treads has to be taken with a grain of salt and those kind of rants even more. Read between the lines, analyze pictures and videos... IMHO that's a very low credibility story.
    Maybe you found the ultimate resolution fine. While I don't agree, I do think the whole painting the bike thing was stupid. Where I disagree is that wasn't the first warranty issue the owner had--they had previously replaced a frame for him. For one person to have two frame failures is a problem.

    Like I said in that other rant thread, if you want to sell plastic bikes, you have to stand behind them. If it turns out every bike company is going to not handle their customers, then I probably won't ever buy a plastic mountain bike. Santa Cruz's reputation for taking care of its customers with frame issues is unmatched, from what I have seen.

    I have to admit being a bit bummed with what I've seen on this forum from both Evil and Pivot. I really enjoyed riding both of their bikes, but considering that a higher end build costs something like 20% of my annual after tax income, I could not risk that kind of cash without knowing if there was an issue, it'd be taken care of. It's one thing to stretch one's dollars pretty thin to get a high end consumer product like a bicycle. If a year later, the frame fails, with the way standards have been changing lately, if they don't have a replacement for you, almost all of the purchase price just went in the trash.

    I try to take care of my stuff and I am the kind of person who will pay for quality. If your Fox fork fails and they don't take care of you, you can get a Rockshox or Manitou. If your frame breaks and the company hangs you out to dry, your options are much more limited. That's not a situation I'd want to be in. If my frame broke, my goal would be getting my butt back on the trail ASAP and putting the hassle behind me--especially on an expensive full suspension rig. It may not be common, but there are certainly a lot of those stories--it does happen.

  10. #10
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,360
    I met a guy locally who knows Kevin Walsh and Evil has dropped a few places on my list.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I met a guy locally who knows Kevin Walsh and Evil has dropped a few places on my list.
    care to elaborate?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    463
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E View Post
    crashing into a tree and painting a new frame isn't covered under warranty . why paint a new frame unless it has damage or has been beaten to crap. Then berating the warranty person and posting rant after rant online to bully ones way to a resolution until someone posts a video of a crash into a tree, which in turn is taking down and renamed to hide it.
    That’s not how I read that thread at all. Sure he shouldn’t have painted the frame...but I thought th tree incident was a different bike.

    Even if it wasn’t, I never really look at the “issue” ...whether it’s a frame crack, a pivot/joint issue, new bearings etc. I look at how the mfg responds. In that thread (and others) Evil didn’t exactly scream “customer service is our top priority.” Same with Yeti in the “issues” thread.

    Then you read Santa Cruz and Ibis warranty threads and they seem to take customer service very seriously and want satisfied customers.

    All companies have issues. Customers often have issues. It’s how each treats the other that matters to me.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rngspnr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I met a guy locally who knows Kevin Walsh and Evil has dropped a few places on my list.
    Keep in mind Kevin Walsh made his money in marketing before the whole Evil thing took off. When he and Weagle started Evil they didn't even have any bikes all that they had was merch, shirts, hats and stuff. We all know how people in marketing can be.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

  14. #14
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,360
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
    care to elaborate?

    He didn't sound like someone I would want to deal with, or give money to.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rngspnr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    749
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    He didn't sound like someone I would want to deal with, or give money to.
    Pretty much seems like tool bag that does not know much about bikes. What evil has going for it (reading between the lines) of other interviews is that it sounds like dave wegle pretty much designed the whole bike. Kevin Walsh never talks about the bikes and I am not sure he knows much about them. I could be totally wrong but...

    Only guessing but it seems like they bought a design from Dave Wegle, found a shop in Asian to make it, and just assemble it here and ship it out.

    Watch and inverview with Chris Cocalis of pivot or Ibis’ Hans Heim and it is night and day from this guy.

    Anyway. They still look like great bikes and I have yet to ride one but pride of ownership is pretty low for me personally on evil. I would still buy an offering in spite of the company behind it if it rides well.

    Now that evil is getting bigger and I assume turning a profit maybe they will become more professional.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pritchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    164
    My wife and I met Kevin a couple weeks ago riding Chuckanut in Bellingham. He actually shuttled us to the top and we’d have never known he was the owner of Evil bikes if one of the folks we knew hadn’t mentioned it half way up the hill.
    Though we haven’t had any dealings with him from a customer perspective, he seemed like a stand up guy who loves riding and knows his shit.
    He very quickly helped tune another riders suspension during the ride and took it from harsh and shitty, to pretty damn good.
    The wife and I consider ourselves to be pretty okay at bikes and Kevin shredded the shit out of his local trails, clearly having a blast while dialing the speed back for us, and he was a great guide.
    The next day, we were able to demo his personal bike and the bike of an employee that he took some time to set up perfectly for us. The Offering was a super fun bike and we expect to pick a couple up for ourselves as they become more readily available.
    Mostly here as a stranger to defend Walsh as not a “tool bag who doesn’t understand his own product”, and the offering as a well designed bike. Making both of these assertions from actual in-person, real life interactions. Not from “reading between the lines” of a few YouTube clips.

    What does make someone a real “tool bag” is publicly trashing a person they’ve never met and a business they’ve never dealt with on a sub forum dedicated to that busniness. Do better man.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by Pritchett View Post
    My wife and I met Kevin a couple weeks ago riding Chuckanut in Bellingham. He actually shuttled us to the top and we’d have never known he was the owner of Evil bikes if one of the folks we knew hadn’t mentioned it half way up the hill.
    Though we haven’t had any dealings with him from a customer perspective, he seemed like a stand up guy who loves riding and knows his shit.
    He very quickly helped tune another riders suspension during the ride and took it from harsh and shitty, to pretty damn good.
    The wife and I consider ourselves to be pretty okay at bikes and Kevin shredded the shit out of his local trails, clearly having a blast while dialing the speed back for us, and he was a great guide.
    The next day, we were able to demo his personal bike and the bike of an employee that he took some time to set up perfectly for us. The Offering was a super fun bike and we expect to pick a couple up for ourselves as they become more readily available.
    Mostly here as a stranger to defend Walsh as not a “tool bag who doesn’t understand his own product”, and the offering as a well designed bike. Making both of these assertions from actual in-person, real life interactions. Not from “reading between the lines” of a few YouTube clips.

    What does make someone a real “tool bag” is publicly trashing a person they’ve never met and a business they’ve never dealt with on a sub forum dedicated to that busniness. Do better man.
    Fair enough and some good points in there.

    Now watch this interview and see if this makes you feel good about that $7000 bike perchase. paraphrasing he said things like - I was surprised the bike was any good - and some other really odd things that just make me think Dave wegle designed the whole bike (good thing imo).

    I might buy one as the man behind the company does not matter to me. Steve Jobs seemed like a total jerk in his hay day but I still own an iPhone.

    Now if that $7,000 was a big purchase for me and I could not afford to replace it I would be more worried based on their past history.

    Nothing agenst them I like to see companies do well but I don’t the impression the man behinds the scenes is driving for perfections like other small brands.

    https://youtu.be/UbZR33dF_x4

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Dude View Post
    Fair enough and some good points in there.

    Now watch this interview and see if this makes you feel good about that $7000 bike perchase. paraphrasing he said things like - I was surprised the bike was any good - and some other really odd things that just make me think Dave wegle designed the whole bike (good thing imo).

    I might buy one as the man behind the company does not matter to me. Steve Jobs seemed like a total jerk in his hay day but I still own an iPhone.

    Now if that $7,000 was a big purchase for me and I could not afford to replace it I would be more worried based on their past history.

    Nothing agenst them I like to see companies do well but I don’t the impression the man behinds the scenes is driving for perfections like other small brands.

    https://youtu.be/UbZR33dF_x4
    Not defending here, but wanted to mention that when he says "I was surprised the bike was any good" (I have seen this video before), he was talking about the Following, and how he did not want to build a 29r as he was really againts them. He said they took a chance to see how it would turn out and it surprised him (as it did most others for being a 29r).

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pritchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    164
    I hadn’t seen that video. I’m glad you shared it because I think it only serves to improve my view of the brand.

    I see no negatives in the context that he talked about the bike. It’s funny that a short time ago, no one thought you could make a fun 29er trail bike. Evil makes the following, and now everyone has/wants what they proved possible.

    I have no idea how involved Weigle is with the overall design beyond kinematics. I sure don’t consider it a negative to have the kinematic guy also dialing in the geo of a bike though.
    Also, didn’t Evil originally belong to Weigle?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    359
    "Watch and inverview with Chris Cocalis of pivot or Ibis’ Hans Heim and it is night and day from this guy. "

    Everyone has a few skeletons in their Customer Service closet...

    Chris Cocalis - I was part of the Titus Loco-Moto(single pivot Heckler copy) recall around December 2001. 6 months plus went by before anyone got a replacement. I spoke with him on the phone when I inquired about an upgrade, which he offered in letter, and eventually one of his subordinates took the phone from him because he could hear how badly Chris was handling my inquiry. I did get the upgrade to a Switchblade but I had to pay an additional $500.

    I can't recall the exact details of our conversation just a lingering feeling all these years later that he is someone I don't want to deal with, or give money to.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    43
    I have had nothing but good experiences dealing with them. Luckily it hasn't been anything major, but Dylan, specifically, has always gotten back with me very promptly. He even helped me track down a creak I was having. It ended up being a broken axle in my rear hub and even though I bought the bike through a dealer they helped me file a warranty claim through Race Face rather than making me go back through the dealer.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    127
    My CS experience has been awesome. I wrecked my V1 and they got my a new crash-replacement rear triangle really fast. When I bought my MB, there was a creak from the lower shock bolt. Dylan knew exactly what the creaking was and sent me a replacement bolt ultra fast. Bike has been perfect since.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 205
    Last Post: 09-18-2018, 06:32 PM
  2. Evil Customer Service = Awesome!
    By sperky in forum Evil Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-08-2017, 02:49 PM
  3. Evil Customer Service?
    By gdnorm in forum Evil Bikes
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-14-2016, 06:55 AM
  4. Evil Customer Service
    By bogeydog in forum Evil Bikes
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-16-2016, 05:00 AM
  5. Good Customer Service vs. Bad Customer Service
    By Phoinix in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 11:13 AM

Members who have read this thread: 226

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.