Evil The Calling - New Bike Day!- Mtbr.com
    Captain One Lung Administrator

Evil The Calling - New Bike Day!

My first time on an Evil.

A lot of my buddies ride Evil bikes and absolutely love them. I've always been impressed by the build quality and the reviews are unanimous. The bikes are awesome! So I purchased this bike without even demoing it. Something I would never normally do. It is soooo plush yet stiff. I'm used to riding high end bikes but this one still amazes me. Can't wait for the trails to dry out and get rowdy.

Picked up my new bike from Wrench Science in Berkeley this week.

It was fitted perfectly before I even got there to sit on it. Major attention to detail. Last time I went on a ride with Henry (from Wrench Science) he was observing my ride style and handlebar configuration. So when I picked up the bike it was set up exactly how I like it. Talk about customer service.

Order up some custom fork decals for my Pike from Stikrd too!

Evil The Calling - large 29.72lbs with pedals
    Evil The Calling - New Bike Day!-110201710520.jpgEvil The Calling - New Bike Day!-110201710550.jpgEvil The Calling - New Bike Day!-182017174528.jpgEvil The Calling - New Bike Day!-16683234_10154400320206295_1594202316_n.png

Approx. build sheet. Brakes are now Guide RSC and absoluteBLACK 32T oval chainring is in the mail.
    Handlebars - Renthal Fatbar Carbon 760mm
    Saddle - Fabric Scoop Radius Pro
    Pedals - HT Components AE03
    Tires - e*thirteen TRS Race and Schwalbe Knobby Nic 2.35
    Evil The Calling - New Bike Day!-20170126_150155.jpg

*edit*
    Bike Check with BKXC

*reserved for glamour photos*
    Eagle has landed!
    Evil The Calling - New Bike Day!-111201716334.jpg

Evil The Calling - New Bike Day!-1112017163232.jpg

Evil The Calling - New Bike Day!-2182017202827.jpgEvil The Calling - New Bike Day!-2182017163146.jpgEvil The Calling - New Bike Day!-20170318_105506.jpgEvil The Calling - New Bike Day!-119201775928.jpg
    Last edited by JCWages; 02-12-2017 at 12:12 AM.

mtbr member

Evil The Calling - New Bike Day!

On your way back through , leave it at my place so you have it close to Auburn trails and don't have to worry about scratching it up in transport. I'll look after it for ya. Sweet ride. That's a really nice build kit. Stoked for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybshifter View Post
    On your way back through , leave it at my place so you have it close to Auburn trails and don't have to worry about scratching it up in transport. I'll look after it for ya. Sweet ride. That's a really nice build kit. Stoked for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha nice! I'm sure you'll be good to it.

I have the new Race Face Turbine R wheelset with Vault hubs.
    https://www.raceface.com/PRODUCTS/MI...URBINE-R-WHEEL

30mm inside width
    1730g
    120pt engagement
    Evil The Calling - New Bike Day!-p4pb13636361.jpgEvil The Calling - New Bike Day!-race-face-turbine-r-wheelset_wh17tur30275f-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Awesome build! I'm currently trying to decide between the large or XL frame. Would you mind sharing your height and inseam measurements?

wheelie king
    Looks good! More pics...

Quote Originally Posted by FreerideScientist View Post
    Awesome build! I'm currently trying to decide between the large or XL frame. Would you mind sharing your height and inseam measurements?
    I'm 6' 2.75". So not quite 6'3. Inseam is 35.25 inches.

Yesterday I got my first trail ride albeit a very short and low key one. At first I thought the cockpit may be a little cramped and I worried I made a mistake. The bike felt great though. Rode again today but in my usual spot and charged some rough downhill sections and felt perfectly fitted. The bike is so damn solid it ate up the chunder. If I planned in riding steeps and really really rough trails then I'd probably have gone for an XL for more stability but I'm OK with trading some of that for the playfulness of a large. So XL with a 35mm stem or a large with 50mm stem. I think I'd have been OK either way but I chose the latter.

Paper or plastic?
    I've been looking at the Calling as well to replace my 2012 Carbine. Similar geo numbers as well. Looking forward to getting your feedback since you've ridden Intense bikes quite a bit as well.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    I've been looking at the Calling as well to replace my 2012 Carbine. Similar geo numbers as well. Looking forward to getting your feedback since you've ridden Intense bikes quite a bit as well.
    Same Boat JCW
    Like yourself long term Intense rider so keen on feedback especially as you are off the 2016 Tracer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecka View Post
    Same Boat JCW
    Like yourself long term Intense rider so keen on feedback especially as you are off the 2016 Tracer as well.
    Let me start by saying I love the feel of this latest crop of Intense bikes. They are phenomenal peddlers despite their excellent descending capabilities. They are excellent bikes.

The Calling is different. It doesn't have the instant power transfer I felt in the Spider 275c or Recluse. There is more suspension movement under light load which makes the Calling feel like it may be slightly less efficient. That extra movement, however, translates to more tire in contact with the ground during rougher climbs and less loss of traction. I'd say the climbing efficiency is pretty close to the Recluse and way better than the old Tracer.

The descending feel is like a cross between my old Tracer Palmer Edition and the Spider 275c Pro. It is Cadillac plush but super agile and very poppy. The midstroke support is amazing. You can easily pump the bike down the trail where the VPP would tend to be more mushy. This makes me look for every opportunity to pump and look for small hits that I would have never considered because it would take too much energy to get airborne. It takes almost no effort to get this bike in the air despite being 2lbs heavier than my Spider 275c Pro.

Solid.... That sums it up. There is no noise. No flex. No sense of a collection of parts trying to be one unit. It is one unit. The whole bike feels like it was carved out of one solid block of magical material that is well dampened yet translates trail feel well.

These are traits I prefer in a bike but may not be for everyone so I'd definitely suggest demoing one if you can. I'm loving it so far!

mtbr member
    Mine arrives this week. Angry Dolphin.

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Mine arrives this week. Angry Dolphin.
    Hell yeah! Can't wait to see it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Hell yeah! Can't wait to see it.
    It's going to be my Idaho bike but it will spend a couple of months in NorCal to get dialed in (while the snow melts in the Rockies).

mtbr member

All built up.

The Calling-small
    Pike RCT3 with Torque caps (150mm)
    X01 Eagle (32T front)
    Saint flat pedals
    XTR Race lever with Saint calipers (180F, 160R)
    Fox Transfer 100mm
    Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    I9 Torch hubs, Sapim CX-ray. LB 30mm ID rims
    Nobby Nic EVO 2.35 F, 2.25 R
    RF Stem, Easton Havoc handlebar 760mm, ESI grips

28.24 lbs

This was supposed to be my bike until my girlfriend saw the color and fell in love with it. So, it is now her bike (in exchange, I get her Insurgent as my Boise bike). The cool thing is, with a swap of pedals, seatpost/saddle and a change in air pressure for the fork and shock, I can ride this bike. I think I'll have to break it in for her

Evil The Calling - New Bike Day!-16730219_10210257106276316_3634936597741780219_n.jpgEvil The Calling - New Bike Day!-16730360_10210257106156313_1146423402559221799_n.jpgEvil The Calling - New Bike Day!-16729140_10210257106396319_1132452518601407577_n.jpgEvil The Calling - New Bike Day!-16708170_10210257105556298_3675544703256514853_n.jpgEvil The Calling - New Bike Day!-16708331_10210257105596299_5383052099706969334_n.jpgEvil The Calling - New Bike Day!-16712010_10210257105636300_4026499310349473009_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi Flipnidaho, I'm having a similar built as yours, or your girlfriend's Calling, in size S. May I know what's your gal height? I'm 5'4", looking at the Fox Transfer or Raceface dropper post. Currently determining the length of the post for both. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by revver View Post
    Hi Flipnidaho, I'm having a similar built as yours, or your girlfriend's Calling, in size S. May I know what's your gal height? I'm 5'4", looking at the Fox Transfer or Raceface dropper post. Currently determining the length of the post for both. Thanks.
    She's 5'2". Her 100m Fox Transfer is bottomed out on her frame to get to her ideal saddle height (24.25" from bb spindle to top of saddle). I'm 5' 5" on a small Insurgent. My 125mm Transfer is bottomed out on my frame as well to get to my ideal saddle height of 26.50". My 125mm Thomson Covert that I had on the Insurgent before the Transfer had a little shorter insertion length and the cable hardware was also lower profile so I had a few more mm's to play with when it comes to insertion.

mtbr member
    FYI- The original build of my small Inusrgent was a similar (except it was XX1 1x11 and Enve M60) and it weight 27.44 lbs. It looks like the Calling is coming out at about 1/2 lb or so heavier than the Insurgent. The additional weight maybe coming from the new shock and what looks like a different top tube/seat tube brace. The water bottle cage is also very much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Flipnidaho, thanks for the infor, it's a great help. Looks like I need to go for a 100mm Fox Transfer or the 125mm Raceface dropper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by revver View Post
    Flipnidaho, thanks for the infor, it's a great help. Looks like I need to go for a 100mm Fox Transfer or the 125mm Raceface dropper.
    NP- the max insertion for a seatpost on a small Evil frame is not very long so measure before buying.

Feeling under the weather and the stormy weather is really screwing up our trails. So I installed a new absoluteBLACK oval chainring while my girlfriend helped teach a women's MTB Clinic.

The color of the bike seems to change depending on how the sun is hitting it. It goes from charcoal grey to greenstone/grey. Pretty neat.
    Evil The Calling - New Bike Day!-119201775928.jpg
    Evil The Calling - New Bike Day!-11920177599.jpg

Paper or plastic?
    Nice looking bike

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Nice looking bike

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Thanks man! I can't wait for the fork decals to come in!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    ... I installed a new absoluteBLACK oval chainring...
    Was that a 32T? I noticed a feller on YouTube having trouble with a Rotor 34T chainring on his Calling...
    The rig looks spectacular!

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Here we go. Eagle. with 2.6 tires front and ring. The dropper, fork and wheels are temporary for now.

29 lbs with pedals.

Evil The Calling - New Bike Day!-img_5368-1-.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Here we go. Eagle. with 2.6 tires front and ring. The dropper, fork and wheels are temporary for now.

29 lbs with pedals.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5368 (1).jpg 
Views:	765 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	1126282
    That bike is screaming "Put a Lyrik on me!"

fc
    That bike is screaming "Put a Lyrik on me!"
    Isn't that too much fork? This is only 130mm rear right?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Yes. I currently have a 150mm 36 on mine and it suits it just fine.
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    p.s. FC - I hope you were able to get out on it this past weekend with the unbelievable conditions. That bike eats up our local trails. I never gone down Chuppa that fast before, even on my Insurgent.
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    Isn't that too much fork? This is only 130mm rear right?
    Doh! For some reason, I thought you had a Wreckoning. My Calling has a 150mm Pike in Low setting.

Added more photos to the 2nd post.

fc
    Doh! For some reason, I thought you had a Wreckoning. My Calling has a 150mm Pike in Low setting.
    Oh, I have both of course.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Evil Calling Owners, I need help! I'm torn between getting Calling or a new Bronson. I have my 2016 Nomad listed for sale and I want to pull the trigger on the new ride.

I'd put a Fox 360 up front on the Calling however the only thing I'm scared of is that the Calling will not have enough travel in the rear at 130mm. I've heard with the slack head angle and with a Fox 36 plus the fact that the suspension is not VPP I will be okay.

I ride in the CA East Bay (Diablo + Pleasanton Ridge) and Santa Cruz. I don't do park days. As some of you know, those trails are the definition of "All Mountain" with fast down hills, some decent jumps (3-6 feet w/transitions - not huck to flat) and a lot of climbing in order to get there.

My riding style is decent but I'm kinda sloppy and would define it as more of a point and shoot. I love jumping and would love to "try" to hit everything. My lack of talent is my only hold up. I want to get better at popping off stuff + faster on berms, etc..

Finally my question...will I be worse off and not be able to hit some of the bigger jumps if I only have 130mm in the rear (however w/a Fox 36 up front)? With my lack of talent will I be okay or should I get a Bronson?

I really want the Calling - the bike is dope!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JbernardDanville View Post
    Evil Calling Owners, I need help! I'm torn between getting Calling or a new Bronson. I have my 2016 Nomad listed for sale and I want to pull the trigger on the new ride.

I'd put a Fox 360 up front on the Calling however the only thing I'm scared of is that the Calling will not have enough travel in the rear at 130mm. I've heard with the slack head angle and with a Fox 36 plus the fact that the suspension is not VPP I will be okay.

I ride in the CA East Bay (Diablo + Pleasanton Ridge) and Santa Cruz. I don't do park days. As some of you know, those trails are the definition of "All Mountain" with fast down hills, some decent jumps (3-6 feet w/transitions - not huck to flat) and a lot of climbing in order to get there.

My riding style is decent but I'm kinda sloppy and would define it as more of a point and shoot. I love jumping and would love to "try" to hit everything. My lack of talent is my only hold up. I want to get better at popping off stuff + faster on berms, etc..

Finally my question...will I be worse off and not be able to hit some of the bigger jumps if I only have 130mm in the rear (however w/a Fox 36 up front)? With my lack of talent will I be okay or should I get a Bronson?

You'll be more than fine on East Bay Trails with the Calling (heck, you'd be fine on most trails within East Bay and the Peninsula on a hardtail). The Calling should be pretty good in Santa Cruz/Demo if you're not casing the doubles. I did most of those trails on my TRC (with a 150mm Pike) and felt it was fine.

mtbr member

I ride the Calling, as my main bike, on these exact trails. It is perfect for the area. I hit it all including everything at Z's on that bike....it rips. Plus, you won't have to change your bearings every 3 weeks...which my buddy does on his Bronson.

Feel free to PM me to give mine a whirl....I tell my buddies, "The most expensive test ride you'll ever take."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks Dominator13! I was hoping to hear some feedback such as yours. Hearing 1st hand experience of how the Calling handles some of my local trails is great. Now I just need to sell my Nomad.

Did you spec. build the bike yourself? What fork are you running?

mtbr member
    Thanks Dominator13! I was hoping to hear some feedback such as yours. Hearing 1st hand experience of how the Calling handles some of my local trails is great. Now I just need to sell my Nomad.

Did you spec. build the bike yourself? What fork are you running?
    Yeah, I always build it up myself, usually with some pretty good parts. I have a PUSH'd FIT4 36 150mm for a fork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LCW
    mtbr member

29 lbs with pedals.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5368 (1).jpg 
Views:	765 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	1126282
    I love that color!

Santa Cruz Hightower LT

Bike Check with BKXC

Long winded for sure but I had fun talking about how cool this bike is. Check out his other videos and subscribe if you like the content. It really helps these guys who are trying to make a living off this MTB thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hey Dom. Iíll take you up on that giving the Calling a whirl. Trying to decide on the Calling or New Bronson. Wrench Science doesnít have any demos. Iíll send you a PM.