Evil Calling cranks & chainring confusion!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Evil Calling cranks & chainring confusion!!

Hi everyone

Got a new calling half built in my bedroom and im having a right old headache..

I have fitted a hope 30mm BB, and plan on ordering a set of RF turbine cranks.

My 2 questions are as follows:

1. Ive read for boost frames, you need boost specific cranks, So are the turbines ok?!
    2. Im probably going to run a oneup chain ring but the chain line confuses me. Evil state the chain line is 51mm on the calling. I believe the ideal number is 52mm for boost? (so surely 51mm is near enough?)
    With that in mind, will I need to run a standard chain ring, or a boost chain ring, which i believe will have a 3mm offset?
    The way it works in my head is that I will get a 51mm chain line with a standard ring, and a 54mm chain line with a boost ring.
    Or will i get 51mm with a boost ring and 48mm with a std ring?!

Oh and if it makes any difference, im running gx eagle up rear.

Help appreciated!

mtbr member
    If you are planning to run a Oneup chainring, I suggest emailing or calling them for a recommendation. Those guys are very responsive and helpful.

On my Calling I have used Next and SixC cranks with RF chainrings. I did have to run a tiny shim on the spindle to provide space between the chainring and the upper guide.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miťrcoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    If you are planning to run a Oneup chainring, I suggest emailing or calling them for a recommendation. Those guys are very responsive and helpful.

On my Calling I have used Next and SixC cranks with RF chainrings. I did have to run a tiny shim on the spindle to provide space between the chainring and the upper guide.
    Thanks, good to know
    Im actually thinking of just getting rid of the 30mm bb and fitting GX gxp cranks as ive been advised by a guy I (kinda) know that xsync 2 chainrings are superior to anything else when it comes to running eagle.

Should have just paid someone to build it for me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think you're supposed to run non-boost cranks/chain ring on the calling. I am running normal shimano xt cranks/chain ring (which would be a 50.4mm chainline according to the specs) with a 0.7mm bb spacer on the drive side on my calling and it's absolutely perfect. I don't even drop gears back pedaling on the 46 tooth cog.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I just called evil in Seattle and they said boost.
    Iíve decided to go for gx cranks and swap the 30mm B.B. our for a gxp.
    If youíre only running a .7mm spacer instead of 2.5mm I guess that would pull your chain ring back towards the frame and be more or less in the right place ?

mtbr member
    Make sure you get a boost chain ring for the GX cranks, non boost has a dished ring and will contact the frame. I know this from experience running GX cranks on my Calling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by pablobell View Post
    Make sure you get a boost chain ring for the GX cranks, non boost has a dished ring and will contact the frame. I know this from experience running GX cranks on my Calling.
    Iím assuming the boost cranks will have one on?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    boost and non boost cranks are the same. it is the ring that is different. a standard ring is 49mm chain line, so +3 = 52mm. If you are running RF they might need to be shimmed. I have a non-boost bike and had to shim mine to get the bb play out on a 73mm bb even though it doesn't say to. If it is centered in teh guide, good enough.

You can still send it on a 51 or 52mm chainline, that won't matter.

mtbr member
    As far as I have seen the cranks are not available for purchase with a boost chainring fitted. But they may have been, or are now, I dunno.