Evil Calling or 2019 Stumpjumper- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Evil Calling or 2019 Stumpjumper

Deciding on building up a Calling or jumping on that new Stumpjumper bandwagon. They seem like very similar bikes. Especially with a 150 in the front. Evil pricing is now almost the same as Specialized. The new Stumpy feels very well thought out. What do you guys think? Anyone in the same boat? Lets discuss!
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

ZEN RIDER!
    Delta link because of the mechanical advantage of the pedal platform vs the horselink which relies on shock valving for the pedal platform. Plus I always take any of the big box brand reviews with a large grain of salt. Advertising $$$ talks!
    Life in every breath

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E View Post
    Delta link because of the mechanical advantage of the pedal platform vs the horselink which relies on shock valving for the pedal platform. Plus I always take any of the big box brand reviews with a large grain of salt. Advertising $$$ talks!
    dont know if youre being all tongue and cheeky, but you know its horst link.
    I think that stumpjumper has great specs too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl View Post
    dont know if youre being all tongue and cheeky, but you know its horst link.
    I think that stumpjumper has great specs too.
    maybe he was thinking of Transition?

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/transi...ease-2014.html

Name:  p3pb11450978.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  169.1 KB
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    I'd take The Calling every time.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I'm surprised you say they're seem similar because that's not the case for me. The stumpy is longer in wheelbase/tt/reach and slacker (not sure what the flip chip options are). It can also fit up to 3 inch tires. Not to mention the extra travel in the rear. They're both cool bikes but I think pretty different.

So what makes you say they're similar?

mtbr member
    I had the first Stumpjumper back in the early eighties It was the only bike they made , fully rigid bull moose handlebars I believe a 15 speed. I had various Stunpjumpers over the years . My buddy had last years Stumpy. Which I rode. Good bike. He sold it. Bought a Transition that he really likes. There's something too specialized about Specialized these days that bugs me. The Calling is the most fun bike I've had over the years. It's a ride anywhere bike. I've had it for over a year and it's not going anywhere . 150 in the front run xtra low . Demo them both. Probably can't go wrong either way.
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The Calling rides like a 150mm. (From what everyones says here.) With a 150mm fork on the front they are very similar. An all around trail bike that is long and short on the chain stay. A bike that sits between a trail bike and enduro rig.

Medium Calling vs Stumpy 27.5

Rear Travel 130mm vs 150mm
    Front Fork - 150mm
    WB - 1172 vs 1179mm
    HA - 65.8 (In 150mm) vs 65.5
    CS - 432 vs 432
    Reach - 440 vs 435

Stumpy more thought out frame in terms of design. Better paint, SWAT BOX, Clever internal routing etc. Price is now the same frame wise.
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by movingmountain View Post
    I had the first Stumpjumper back in the early eighties It was the only bike they made , fully rigid bull moose handlebars I believe a 15 speed. I had various Stunpjumpers over the years . My buddy had last years Stumpy. Which I rode. Good bike. He sold it. Bought a Transition that he really likes. There's something too specialized about Specialized these days that bugs me. The Calling is the most fun bike I've had over the years. It's a ride anywhere bike. I've had it for over a year and it's not going anywhere . 150 in the front run xtra low . Demo them both. Probably can't go wrong either way.
    Thanks!
    ---------------------
    Evil Following

weareelements.com

mtbr member
    I would say the new Knolly Fugitive

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'd take The Calling every time.
    Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by George Knox View Post
    Why?
    I've been stoked about having an Evil in the garage for a while and the couple times I've been able to throw a leg over one I came back grinning. I've had one in the shopping cart a few times, but never quite sealed the deal. Sooner or later it will happen.

The Calling in particular looks like a blast to ride.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I've been stoked about having an Evil in the garage for a while and the couple times I've been able to throw a leg over one I came back grinning. I've had one in the shopping cart a few times, but never quite sealed the deal. Sooner or later it will happen.

The Calling in particular looks like a blast to ride.
    Have you ever had a Stumpie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by George Knox View Post
    Have you ever had a Stumpie?
    Nope. I have ridden my buddy's and have friends that manage a Spesh LBS so I could likely score a sweet deal on one, but I have never found them particularly interesting.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Stucco Bucket
    I have a horst link bike now, and ive had links designed by "dw"
    I always felt the Delta or DW style links are more refined and better overall in performance.
    Horst design has one shining feature in the travel, but overall it kinda falls short

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Their rear suspension designs are fundamentally different. I know which platform I prefer, but opinions are like aceholes....

There are two other main differences in the frame. SWAT. I love it. I am sure there is a patent protecting that idea. As much as I love it, it is not enough to overcome the internal routing. Anyone who turns a wrench hates it. Its not necessary. On all of the bikes I have had with internal routing, it has always been problematic. Cable/hose slap, brake bleeding, brake hose replacement, pivot/link maintenance, broken frames, broken chain/seat stays, binding of cables/housing when removal of bars for packingin a bike bag...its a solution looking for a problem.

Bodhisattva
    On Evil's DELTA suspensionv. Horst-link (I've owned many HL bikes, but currently do not):

I love my Calling. The linkage design is very well done. The bike remains high when pedaling yet still feels "poppy" and "plush". This is my favorite early day trail bike for Colorado riding.

My only complaint with DELTA, as opposed to Horst-link, is that the rear end of DELTA stiffens significantly under hard rear braking. Horst stays more active here. My two Santa Cruz VPP bikes also stiffen under braking, so it's not unique to DELTA.

I've learned to adjust my technique, so not a big deal. But if I'm hard on the rear in braking bumps, I know it and the bike starts to feel like a softtail.