Evil Bikes 2020 - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Evil Bikes 2020

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by matmattmatthew View Post
    I have a large Following MB just sitting in my basement, only has 300 miles. I was about to list it on Ebay if anyone is interested. It doesn't get any use since I bought an Offering.

Give ya a sixer for it since it is so outdated with its regular boost specs

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kenwood72 View Post
    Nat here is the point for months they have had lower sales as they simply didnt have bikes, was that all planned I dont know but I cant afford in my business to let sales creep down as revenue simply does support operations. Now they have new bikes in a fear based economy- I simply hope that their timing and plan doesnt hurt them. they took a risk for sure and that is how business works I just simply dont know how bikes sales will looks for the near to possibly long future.
    Not a single person I know who rides has said "I am staying home and not riding because of covid". Instead, everyone is saying "hell yeah was told to work from home so much more riding it is". You won't be finding sick people anywhere near the trails so if anything now's a better time to be hiking and riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
    Not a single person I know who rides has said "I am staying home and not riding because of covid". Instead, everyone is saying "hell yeah was told to work from home so much more riding it is". You won't be finding sick people anywhere near the trails so if anything now's a better time to be hiking and riding.
    Maybe true but plenty may be thinking “man my retirement account just got slammed” or “my business is not making any money for he next 2 months” or “I may be laid off or have reduced hours because everything is closed.”

Riding is great and all but I expect many will consider getting another season out of whatever they’re on now rather than splashing out on the latest and greatest.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Maybe true but plenty may be thinking “man my retirement account just got slammed” or “my business is not making any money for he next 2 months” or “I may be laid off or have reduced hours because everything is closed.”

Riding is great and all but I expect many will consider getting another season out of whatever they’re on now rather than splashing out on the latest and greatest.
    Yeah makes sense. My 401k did take a 100k hit this week but I'm nowhere near retirement so not worried about it but many people are not in the same position.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yeah makes sense. My 401k did take a 100k hit this week but I'm nowhere near retirement so not worried about it but many people are not in the same position.

exactly, we all want to ride and will ride more with more time but i know 100% that people are not gonna keep spending money if this keeps up which actually sucks because all that does is make our whole situation worse. the media who gets paid by a good economy is doing a great job making it so that people are so scared they stay home and dont spend a dime which will in the long run hurt the same media that wants to keep everyone scared and in their houses.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenwood72 View Post
    exactly, we all want to ride and will ride more with more time but i know 100% that people are not gonna keep spending money if this keeps up which actually sucks because all that does is make our whole situation worse. the media who gets paid by a good economy is doing a great job making it so that people are so scared they stay home and dont spend a dime which will in the long run hurt the same media that wants to keep everyone scared and in their houses.
    The grocery store shelves indicate otherwise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I'm no economist but I doubt increased spending on beans and TP is going to turn out to compensate for no spending on travel, restaurants, sporting events and concerts etc.

Mentality is also key. Uncertaintly=more saving, less spending for most.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    dude the whole thread is about spending on bikes, people will stop spending on non essentials and a 7000 bike fits that category. that was a pretty ridiculous reply.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    I'm no economist but I doubt increased spending on beans and TP is going to turn out to compensate for no spending on travel, restaurants, sporting events and concerts etc.

Mentality is also key. Uncertaintly=more saving, less spending for most.
    It was more of a joke. Although I did overhear an employee at the grocery store last night say the store had set a sales record for a non holiday Thursday and that Wednesday was also a record Wednesday for the store.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    slight thread hijack, sorry.

I'm putting up my Offering on eBay in the next few days, also a 140mm pike and oneup dropper etc—*do you think it helps or hurts to bundle it as one or break it out separately? Normally I do the latter, but less hassle with one shipment is appealing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by shapethings View Post
    slight thread hijack, sorry.

I'm putting up my Offering on eBay in the next few days, also a 140mm pike and oneup dropper etc—*do you think it helps or hurts to bundle it as one or break it out separately? Normally I do the latter, but less hassle with one shipment is appealing.
    sell all of it seperate
    Evil Insurgent Yeti SB5.5 Evil Wreckoning Pivot Switchblade Pivot Mach 5.5 Yeti SB150

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Selling my 2015 Trance Ad 1 to my nephew. Thinking about getting the new Following. Have never ridden a Evil bike before but Ryan Palmer seems to love this new Following! Does anyone know how much it weighs? I ride mostly XC here in Kelowna, BC so I want a bike that's not a pig (over 30lbs) and climbs really well.

Does this fit the bill?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymac10 View Post
    Selling my 2015 Trance Ad 1 to my nephew. Thinking about getting the new Following. Have never ridden a Evil bike before but Ryan Palmer seems to love this new Following! Does anyone know how much it weighs? I ride mostly XC here in Kelowna, BC so I want a bike that's not a pig (over 30lbs) and climbs really well.

Does this fit the bill?
    I bet the most expensive build of this bike is going to weigh 27-28lbs, a gx build is probably somewhere near or slight over 30 lbs, depends on tire choice of course. Evil's are very poppy and playful, this bike was built to maximize that feeling, if you want a more planted stable feel the sb130 or ripley is a better example. The geo of this bike will make it feel light, this will be my next bike for sure. I think super boost will be the new normal, so my plan is to start phasing out my boost wheel sets. If I wanted, xcish race trail bike id build a 25 lb ibis ripley, but my suspicion is that the following is super fun on flowy trails with a slight penalty on efficiency.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cpobanz View Post
    I bet the most expensive build of this bike is going to weigh 27-28lbs, a gx build is probably somewhere near or slight over 30 lbs, depends on tire choice of course. Evil's are very poppy and playful, this bike was built to maximize that feeling, if you want a more planted stable feel the sb130 or ripley is a better example. The geo of this bike will make it feel light, this will be my next bike for sure. I think super boost will be the new normal, so my plan is to start phasing out my boost wheel sets. If I wanted, xcish race trail bike id build a 25 lb ibis ripley, but my suspicion is that the following is super fun on flowy trails with a slight penalty on efficiency.
    Thanks! Funny you should mention Ibis. I was also looking at selling my 2017 Norco Sight C1 and moving over to the new Ripmo. My idea is to have one short travel and one medium travel bike to cover all of my basis.

Maybe I should reverse it and look at the Ripley for the light(er) short travel and maybe the Wreckoning for the longer travel?!?!

I wonder when Giant will release an updated Trance 29er to compete more with the likes of the Norco Optic and Following... it had quite good reviews when it first came out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpobanz View Post
    I think a lot of it will come down to frame weight. My initial build of my V1 was just under 26lbs. This was with an X01 11sp group...some Roval Control Carbon wheels, Ashima Ai2 rotors, 2.25 Rocket Rons (which are around 550gr per tire). Rounded out with an Enve SWP bar, Syntace flatforce stem, carbon saddle, OneUp dropper. It could have gotten even lighter if I didn't run a Yari fork. If the V3 frame is lighter than the V1 or MB...you can for sure build it under 25lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Evil support said a L with shock is 3.1 kg, so pretty much in line with a SC Tallboy or Pivot Trail 429.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Anybody seen any full reviews of the new Following yet?

Looking at the below mid travel bikes. Let me know if any thoughts or any I should be considering not listed:

1. 2020 Evil Following w/ 130 fork
    2. Ibis Ripley
    3. Yeti SB130
    4. Revel Rascal
    5. Norco Optic

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Forgot to mention 5’11 205lbs. Already have a short travel 120/100 Trail bike and long travel Enduro rig. Looking for something fun in between. Playful and poppy are attributed to the Following which has me leaning that way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobi1976 View Post
    Evil support said a L with shock is 3.1 kg, so pretty much in line with a SC Tallboy or Pivot Trail 429.
    That’s just under 7lbs. Not much lighter than the MB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2019
    My Tallboy4 Is baller

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelandk2 View Post
    My Tallboy4 Is baller
    My tallboy 4 hasn't shipped in 12 weeks even though its in stock🙂

mtbr member
    Forbidden Druid
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    Forbidden Druid
    This is on my list for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    Forbidden Druid
    I love my Druid but would definitely not describe it as ''playful and poppy'', more like ''stable and planted''. It is a great one bike solution (unless you're an XC racer or riding park a lot) but probably wouldn't work too well with the intention of a bike to fit between an XC rig and an enduro rig

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    I love my Druid but would definitely not describe it as ''playful and poppy'', more like ''stable and planted''. It is a great one bike solution (unless you're an XC racer or riding park a lot) but probably wouldn't work too well with the intention of a bike to fit between an XC rig and an enduro rig
    interesting. their kinematics are remarkably similar, most notably their leverage curves. they are both single pivots with linkage driven shocks. the druid has the "delta" attached to the swingarm and frame, and dog bones connect it the shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    interesting. their kinematics are remarkably similar, most notably their leverage curves. they are both single pivots with linkage driven shocks. the druid has the "delta" attached to the swingarm and frame, and dog bones connect it the shock.
    has feathers must be a duck right?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    This is getting off topic 😊

...but the way they ride is completely different. I own a MB, I haven't ridden the Druid but I rode a Deviate Highlander which is close enough. The way the high pivot point interacts with your weight shifts, the way the wheelbase extends instead of contracts in compressions makes for a very different ride feel. The Evil feels like a Springer Spaniel, the Highlander felt like a Greyhound. Both fantastic bikes but so different in character. I really don't think you can discern these subtleties from paper or screen without actually riding them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    has feathers must be a duck right?
    that would be like saying "has two wheels, must be a hand cart," which is not what i said. I think I said it has feathers (single pivot), webbed feet ("delta" type linkage driven shock), likes to swim (similar travel), and a flat bill (similar leverage curves and kinematics), it might be in the duck family.

Quote Originally Posted by Cymohn View Post
    This is getting off topic 

...but the way they ride is completely different. I own a MB, I haven't ridden the Druid but I rode a Deviate Highlander which is close enough. The way the high pivot point interacts with your weight shifts, the way the wheelbase extends instead of contracts in compressions makes for a very different ride feel. The Evil feels like a Springer Spaniel, the Highlander felt like a Greyhound. Both fantastic bikes but so different in character. I really don't think you can discern these subtleties from paper or screen without actually riding them.
    while you absolutely have to account for axle path, I suspect it made way less difference in ride than the leverage ratio curve. I will post them in order: Deviate, Druid then FMB. The final chart is an overlay of all three.

Deviate (55mm stroke shock)
    Evil Bikes 2020-deviate.jpg
    Druid (55mm stroke shock)
    Evil Bikes 2020-druid.png
    FMB (45mm stroke shock)
    Name:  FMB.gif
Views: 106
Size:  43.8 KB
    Overlay
    Evil Bikes 2020-lro.png

As you move along the X axis you get an idea of how much the leverage wheel has (i.e. how much it moves) vs how much the shock compresses. you will notice that the curves of the FMB and the Druid firm up quick, get supple, then firm up again, whereas the curve of the Deviate digresses into its travel quickly, flattens, then has a super aggressive ramp up to keep you out of the bottom....perfect for a linear rate spring (i.e. coil). Theoretically, the kinematics of the Deviate is going to settle into its travel faster, and should feel more plush than the Druid...until you hit the endstroke.

As to how it rides, I just sold my FMB and have my Druid 90% built. Broken ribs and some pesky threat of an upper respiratory infection are keeping me off of it. But here is a quote from a buyer at Fanatik that has experience with both:

Evil Bikes 2020-fanatik.jpg

just for fun, directly from Deviate's page (and I really do appreciate this):

Evil Bikes 2020-devquote.jpg

Robertson
    I have owned a v1 following and a wreckoning and obviously the druid and will echo the above sentiments. The evil was much more playful/poppy whereas the druid is much more planted and better for straightline speed through rough stuff. Incredibly composed through chunky terrain for a bike with just 130mm travel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    in retrospect, the crap i posted lives in a vacuum, and i should have emphasized "theoretically." a bike is the sum of its parts. the exact same bike changes personality from one size to the next....that is to say an XL FMB is going to feel way less playful and poppy than a Medium FMB when piloted by a the same 5'5" rider. with the same exact kinematics (assuming no changes were made), the personality of a L V1, a L FMB, and a L FV3 will all be different due to the increased reach in each iteration. I was merely trying to quantify how the rear should behave with all other variables removed.

that said, it would be interesting to hear those with FMB or Insurgent experience and Druid experience describe their setups. What fork travel were you running on your Evil and Druid.

FV1 - 439mm reach
    FMB - 452mm reach
    FV3 -480mm reach
    Druid - 470mm reach

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Evil won't receive new supply of frames until late June. I had a chat with Evil rep guy on website.

it seems Evil can't keep up with supply demands.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Well that's a good problem to have. So the new following is oos until June instead of a week from now?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well that's a good problem to have. So the new following is oos until June instead of a week from now?

yes. June is earliest month.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    yes. June is earliest month.
    Whoa so they sold through their entire first allocation?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just wondering if there are any rumors about any Offering updates? I rented a Offering for a few days and loved it. May pull the trigger sometime later this year (depending on how things pan out post-virus).

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Evil rep won't confirm if there will be new wreckoning. he said airlines flights are banned hence frames are shipped by ocean freighter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by NuckaMan View Post
    Just wondering if there are any rumors about any Offering updates? I rented a Offering for a few days and loved it. May pull the trigger sometime later this year (depending on how things pan out post-virus).
    Definitely not since new from last year ! Next new one will be the Wreckoning.

mtbr member
    Sorry-
    2019 EVIL Insurgent LB
    2018 EVIL Calling
    2018 Commencal Meta HT AM
    2016 YETI sb6c
    2013 YETI sb66c
    2009 YETI DJ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NuckaMan View Post
    Other than the recently released Following, the Offering is EVIL's newest bike. I doubt that it will be updated for another 2 years and they will probably take the 27.5 wheel models before even if they consolidate them to a single bike. Buy the current one, it's only a year old design.
    2019 EVIL Insurgent LB
    2018 EVIL Calling
    2018 Commencal Meta HT AM
    2016 YETI sb6c
    2013 YETI sb66c
    2009 YETI DJ

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Offering might get a new one next year which really won't be new but just superboost and internal routing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123