Creaky DELTA linkage on Insurgent?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Creaky DELTA linkage on Insurgent?

Anyone else experience a stubborn creak? Removed all bolts and re-lubed and it just comes back. Appreciate any thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I chased a creak on my Following, tried eveything from linkage to BB, seat, even the cables where they bend down and go into rear triangle. I spent a couple weeks hunting it down, turned out to be my hub, pulled that apart as last resort repacked it with grease. Bike is as quiet as can be now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simple78 View Post
    I chased a creak on my Following, tried eveything from linkage to BB, seat, even the cables where they bend down and go into rear triangle. I spent a couple weeks hunting it down, turned out to be my hub, pulled that apart as last resort repacked it with grease. Bike is as quiet as can be now.
    Interesting... This creak is definitely occurring with each compression of the rear shock. If I lock everything out its gone. So stubborn!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i just chased down a creak by pulling the main pivot bearings, cleaning them, and re-installing w/ bearing prep and freshly greased threads on the bolt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Another possibility... I've been chasing down a similar creak / click and found out that it was my derailleur clutch. When the cage breaks free from a "static" position there is an audible click.

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    I too had a creak on my Insurgent. With almost every compression of the shock it would creak, or if i was out of the saddle climbing. I SWORE it was coming from the shock area. Turned out to be the upper headset bearing. Greased her up, now she's as quiet as church mouse.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The massive downtube on the Evil bikes echoes like mad. I had a similar issue with my Following, but traced it to the lower headset bearing being filled with dust and grit.

mtbr member

Thanks ya'll

Sound like a few similar experiences. I'll check that headset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    my new wreckoning is creaking way too much and i can't chase this down.....i have done a ton of greasing at this point but still have some spots to attack. i had an insurgent and it was silent but this bike is creaking/ticking from day one. i am kinda anal about creaks so this really bugs me.....any other ideas?

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    Seatpost? Headset? Fork crown? Shock bolts? Dirt had got between the cassette and the hub body on my Insurgent and caused horrible creaks. A little grease fixed that, too. Loosen your cranks and ride for a few yards. That can help isolate it to the cranks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    had this issue on this morning ride....I've loosen the pivot bolt and the the sound was temporary gone, until i made few jumps then it came back.

so gonna plan to take the main pivot bolt out n do an inspection then grease it thorougly amd will see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Helpful thread as I'm preparing a Wreckoning build. I live in a dry and dusty area and have never had a bike that remained creak-free. I get tired of chasing them down so if it's not terribly obnoxious I just ride.

I've also noticed that temperature differences can influence a creak. Warm days it may be gone, cold days it's back...and vice versa depending on the location.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Check the built in chain guide, it can rub and squeak on the lower linkage hardware. If you loosen the bolt and slide it off the metal hardware (upward) that may fix the squeak.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark91 View Post
    had this issue on this morning ride....I've loosen the pivot bolt and the the sound was temporary gone, until i made few jumps then it came back.

so gonna plan to take the main pivot bolt out n do an inspection then grease it thorougly amd will see how it goes.
    success, did not manage to get the grommet though but initial test ride, the creaks are gone, tomorrow will bring the Evil to the hills for ultimate test....

SISSIF
    Had more of a "Squeak" than a "Creak" with the Wrecker. Seemed to be from the main pivot that I had serviced trying to fix it. Checked with Evil to be sure I assembled the main bearing washer/seals correctly(I did) and they mentioned checking the chain guide:

Creaky DELTA linkage on Insurgent?-squeak.jpg

The inner rubber piece overlaps the main pivot head which rotates with suspension movement. Look for wear on the metal head. I had significant wear, took off the chain guide - Ahhh, quiet. They suggested a washer behind the rubber bit to help it stand off from the head. With the tight chain clearance on the guide to begin with, I decided to trim the inner guide like this:

Creaky DELTA linkage on Insurgent?-fix.jpg

So far, so quiet.
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Had this same issue with a high pitch creak on my Wreckoning when the suspension was compressed. I dremeled off some material from the area where the chain guide was rubbing the pivot bolt. So far so good, hopefully that did the trick.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCanary View Post
    Had more of a "Squeak" than a "Creak" with the Wrecker. Seemed to be from the main pivot that I had serviced trying to fix it. Checked with Evil to be sure I assembled the main bearing washer/seals correctly(I did) and they mentioned checking the chain guide:

The inner rubber piece overlaps the main pivot head which rotates with suspension movement. Look for wear on the metal head. I had significant wear, took off the chain guide - Ahhh, quiet. They suggested a washer behind the rubber bit to help it stand off from the head. With the tight chain clearance on the guide to begin with, I decided to trim the inner guide like this:

So far, so quiet.
    I have the same problem on my Calling. It was fine for a year and just recently started creaking. LBS figured it out and added a dab of grease to the pivot hardware. That lasted a week. I just took it apart and added more grease as well as adjusting the guide higher off the chainring. I figured I'd check the forum before I did any cutting. Thanks for the advice.

With the inner rubber piece in place so you can see how tight the fit is.
    Creaky DELTA linkage on Insurgent?-117201820481.jpg

SISSIF
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    I have the same problem on my Calling. It was fine for a year and just recently started creaking. LBS figured it out and added a dab of grease to the pivot hardware. That lasted a week. I just took it apart and added more grease as well as adjusting the guide higher off the chainring. I figured I'd check the forum before I did any cutting. Thanks for the advice.

With the inner rubber piece in place so you can see how tight the fit is.
    The trim fix is still quiet.
    Good Luck!
    Big Wheels and Fat Skis keep me young.