Crazy Loud Creaking-Public Service Announcement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Crazy Loud Creaking-Public Service Announcement

My Calling is my 3rd Evil so you would think I would have fixed this sooner but anyhow I had some very loud creaking under heavy load last couple weeks. Nothing when pedaling or even cycling the suspenision but when I started going downhill it would begin and not stop. I took the suspension apart and greased everything and it didnt help, checked a bunch of other things and nothing until I remembered.....last night i was going for a ride and put some tri flow on the derailleur hanger. Yeah I would not recomment tri flow as it attracts everything but I was in a rush and didnt have time to take it off and grease but the moreal to the story is silence....so all that said if you get a creak always remeber to grease the derailleur hanger on these bikes and it can get really loud and be super annoying!

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by kenwood72 View Post
    My Calling is my 3rd Evil so you would think I would have fixed this sooner but anyhow I had some very loud creaking under heavy load last couple weeks. Nothing when pedaling or even cycling the suspenision but when I started going downhill it would begin and not stop. I took the suspension apart and greased everything and it didnt help, checked a bunch of other things and nothing until I remembered.....last night i was going for a ride and put some tri flow on the derailleur hanger. Yeah I would not recomment tri flow as it attracts everything but I was in a rush and didnt have time to take it off and grease but the moreal to the story is silence....so all that said if you get a creak always remeber to grease the derailleur hanger on these bikes and it can get really loud and be super annoying!
    Good catch! I've found over the last year and half that main sources of noise on Evils come from two sources. Number one is the lower shock bolt which will loosen and should be checked routinely. The second is not technically and Evil problem, but worth mentioning. The threads on the XD driver should be thoroughly greased before mounting an Eagle cassette. When they dry up they will creak under load during the down stroke. Both are easy fixes. Beyond that, my Wrecker has remained silent.
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Evils are some of the most quiet bikes Iíve ever ridden. If you take care when building the bike, greasing threads in BB, RD bolt headset spacers and use carbon paste where needed and wrap the rear DS seat stay they hardly make a sound. I also use locktite 609 when pressing in the head set, they never creak and press right out when you need them to.

I have to be cognoscente of coming up on other cyclists and hikers as most time they donít here me. I dealt with this plenty today on an NCT ride. I must have come up on 30+ backpackers today and with the wind none of them heard me coming.
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou2200 View Post
    Evils are some of the most quiet bikes Iíve ever ridden. If you take care when building the bike, greasing threads in BB, RD bolt headset spacers and use carbon paste where needed and wrap the rear DS seat stay they hardly make a sound. I also use locktite 609 when pressing in the head set, they never creak and press right out when you need them to.

I have to be cognoscente of coming up on other cyclists and hikers as most time they donít here me. I dealt with this plenty today on an NCT ride. I must have come up on 30+ backpackers today and with the wind none of them heard me coming.
    fully agree and this wasnt a knock on evil but just a fact becasue this happened to me before and all i needed to do was grease the der hanger. anyhow evil rulz