Which to choose; Evil Calling or Following MB for RI singletrack ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Which to choose; Evil Calling or Following MB for RI singletrack ?

Hi all,
    I am a long time reader but first time posting on this site.
    Soon I will be buying a new bike and I have been looking at Evil's Calling & Following MB.
    What I would like to know from other Evil owners of these bikes is which would work better for New England Trails, Rhode Island in particular.
    I am currently riding a 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Carbon 6fattie which has 150mm of travel, but I think it is too much for most of the terrain.
    I am a fairly aggressive rider that likes to likes to ride fast, fine creative lines and have fun. All the bikes I have own up to this point have been in the same travel range as the Stumpy.
    Is the Following MB (120mm) too much of a drop in travel that I'd regret it ?
    Also, I haven't owned a 29er before, although the Stumpy is close with the 3" tires.
    Would the Calling be snappier, more nimble ?
    I keep going back and forth between these two bikes, any input would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I live in New Hampshire and have been on the following for 2 years. In fact I liked it so much I bought the mb 2 weeks ago. I never had to adjust my riding style for the 120mm of travel and I don't miss having the extra 30mm that I used to have. I'm sure the calling is a great bike but after owning the following I'm never going back to smaller wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdemers View Post
    I live in New Hampshire and have been on the following for 2 years. In fact I liked it so much I bought the mb 2 weeks ago. I never had to adjust my riding style for the 120mm of travel and I don't miss having the extra 30mm that I used to have. I'm sure the calling is a great bike but after owning the following I'm never going back to smaller wheels.
    Thanks for you input, Jdemers. I keep reading that people love the larger wheels, rolling over everything and holding lots of momentum. What length fork do you have on your FMB? Even with the large wheels, does the bike feel flickable, easy to maneuver?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm running a 130mm fork with the bike in x low. The bike I had before the following was a yeti sb66. In my opinion the following does everything better than the yeti ever could, it jumps like a dream and it rails corners. If you're looking for a bad ass trail bike it's hard to go wrong with the fmb. If you don't end up liking the 29" the fmb is also 27+ compatible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm running a 130mm fork with the bike in x low. The bike I had before the following was a yeti sb66. In my opinion the following does everything better than the yeti ever could, it jumps like a dream and it rails corners. If you're looking for a bad ass trail bike it's hard to go wrong with the fmb. If you don't end up liking the 29" the fmb is also 27+ compatible.
    That is awesome and exactly what I am looking for! Did you demo the bike beforehand or just bite the bullet and buy it? Where did you but it from?
    Last edited by PhantomRider86; 09-16-2017 at 07:20 PM.

mtbr member
    I live in NH.
    I use to have a 650b bike with 150mm up front and 134mm in the back. I sold that and just bought the new following MB. Actually, I was going to pull the trigger on the calling since I had new carbon 650b rims waiting to be built, (bc it had a threaded bb) but once i heard the new MB came with one, I knew that was the bike i will get.
    It doesn't need a lot of travel bc it has 29inch wheels so don't get caught up on how little the travel is compared to the calling.
    With the rocks and roots we go through in NE. I would think the 29 would be the best.

Im sure you wont have a bad decision no matter what you choose.

I got my frame from the evil website.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I had tried a few 650b bikes and a couple 29'rs. I instantly noticed the advantages of the 29 on our kind of terrain. I didn't get to try the following before I bought it but it's geometry was far better than the other 29r's I had tried so I bit the bullet. The size of the wheels will disappear after a few minutes of riding the bike and the only thing you're going to notice is a big smile on your face. Don't worry about the travel, it comes with a piggy back shock for a reason, the bike likes to party. I bought my v1 and my fmb from fanatic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by NHMB View Post
    I live in NH.
    I use to have a 650b bike with 150mm up front and 134mm in the back. I sold that and just bought the new following MB. Actually, I was going to pull the trigger on the calling since I had new carbon 650b rims waiting to be built, (bc it had a threaded bb) but once i heard the new MB came with one, I knew that was the bike i will get.
    It doesn't need a lot of travel bc it has 29inch wheels so don't get caught up on how little the travel is compared to the calling.
    With the rocks and roots we go through in NE. I would think the 29 would be the best.

Im sure you wont have a bad decision no matter what you choose.

I got my frame from the evil website.
    I like that fact that the Evil bikes have the threaded BB which makes it much easier to work on. My current bike has an internal compression, which you need a special tool for and is a hassle. Does the Evil come with a headset installed ? Do you have a 130mm or 140mm fork? 1x11 or 12? And how many teeth on your chainring ?

I have been looking at Evil's website, Fanatic Bikes & Wrench Science.
    I am trying to figure out if and how much I'd save if I transfer as much components from my current bike over to the new one. I know I can't use my fork (150mm), wheels set (27.5") & bottom bracket. That is about $1500. I guess it will be cheaper to transfer the parts I have, than to but a complete bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I had tried a few 650b bikes and a couple 29'rs. I instantly noticed the advantages of the 29 on our kind of terrain. I didn't get to try the following before I bought it but it's geometry was far better than the other 29r's I had tried so I bit the bullet. The size of the wheels will disappear after a few minutes of riding the bike and the only thing you're going to notice is a big smile on your face. Don't worry about the travel, it comes with a piggy back shock for a reason, the bike likes to party. I bought my v1 and my fmb from fanatic.
    Thank you for your insight and first-hand knowledge on this bike. This has helped out allot. I am heavily leading towards the Following MB now.
    Can you answer these same questions I asked NHMB?:

Does the Evil come with a headset installed ? 1x11 or 12? And how many teeth on your chainring ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The headset cups come installed so all you have to do is install the race on your fork. I'm running 11 speed with an expander cog and a 30 tooth front chain ring. I have a fair bit of climbing I have to do to get to the goods.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I have a 1x11 setup on my current bike and thinking of getting the new eThirteen cassette which has a larger range of gears than the 1x12 Sram Eagle. This way I won't have to buy the 12 speed shifter, cassette and rear mech. Ill have to buy a new chainring though. I currently have a 28 tooth. I am curious to try an oval ring.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I was told by my local dealer that the smallest ring that an Evil can accept is 30t. I would like 28, 10 or 11-42, but it won't go. 30-42 is maybe a bit much on a 29 for me, and E13 and Eagle are $$$.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I was told by my local dealer that the smallest ring that an Evil can accept is 30t. I would like 28, 10 or 11-42, but it won't go. 30-42 is maybe a bit much on a 29 for me, and E13 and Eagle are $$$.
    True they are not cheap, but I think the cassette alone from e13 would be cheaper than an entire Eagle setup.
    For now though, I may just transfer my 1x11 setup and get a larger chainring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    You could get a 30t with the sunrace/box two 11-46 cassette. That's what I have on mine and I like it. Need the Shimano freehub though instead of the XD.

mtbr member
    I'm running E13 9-46 race on my Calling with 30 t ($300 on sale) put on Sram XD and wheels from my last bike
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

mtbr member
    I run a 30t oval with 11-40 and like it. The 40 is my bailout gear don't use it much, but there isn't really any big climbs here in central TX.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    I run a 30 tooth oval with an 11-42 XT cassette plus the Wolf Tooth 49 tooth cassette extender on my Wreckoning with great success.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Running a 30t oval on my Wreckoning with XTR cassette + OneUp expansion kit. On my Calling I'm running 32t oval with Eagle 10-50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    @jdemers; What tire brand, model and width or you running on your FMB for our New England terrain ?
    I am favoring Maxxis and have been looking at the DHF, DHR II, Aggressor, High Roller...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Im running ethirteen tires currently. My other favorite is minion dhf. I prioritize traction over rolling speed.

mtbr member
    Either 27.5 or 29 I always run DHF fronts and either Minion SS or Aggressor rears in New England.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thank you guys for your input on tire selection. I like to have a good balance between traction & rolling resistance. I don't want the tires to feel like anchors, but yet have enough grip that the bike is predictable and tracts well.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Kevin Walsh swears by e13 tires, I saw them on his personal bike while visiting Evil HQ. However, he rides in the PNW, which is much different than riding New England single track. I have Conti X-kings on my Following and they work well for my type of riding, pedally single track. I think any of the Maxxis tires you mentioned would work well. Possibly more aggressive traction tire up front and faster rolling in the rear. The Delta suspension is really good at maintaining traction while climbing, so you can go with a faster rolling tire on the rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    @rd; Yes, like you mentioned, I think I am going to go with an aggressive front tire and a good rolling rear tire.
    I just can't wait to sell my current bike so I can order my new Evil Following MB.

10,000,000 Watts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomRider86 View Post
    I like that fact that the Evil bikes have the threaded BB which makes it much easier to work on. My current bike has an internal compression, which you need a special tool for and is a hassle. Does the Evil come with a headset installed ? Do you have a 130mm or 140mm fork? 1x11 or 12? And how many teeth on your chainring ?

I have been looking at Evil's website, Fanatic Bikes & Wrench Science.
    I am trying to figure out if and how much I'd save if I transfer as much components from my current bike over to the new one. I know I can't use my fork (150mm), wheels set (27.5") & bottom bracket. That is about $1500. I guess it will be cheaper to transfer the parts I have, than to but a complete bike.
    Why not just reduce your fork travel? Maybe cost you around $100 to do.
    Peace sells, but whos buying..

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The offset of the fork is not right for the geometry of the Following. My fork is a 42mm offset, Evil recommends a 51mm offset.

10,000,000 Watts
    Gotcha, building my new MB as we speak, cant wait to compare it to others Ive owned this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Good luck with your build. I am still trying to sell my current bike before I can buy my FMB.
    Once you get some rides in, I'd love to hear your feedback. Keep us posted !

10,000,000 Watts
    Thx, what are you selling? The problem with selling bike stuff is you only get pennies on the dollar. This hobby can get expensive. I remember when $2899 would buy you a killer mtb, top of the line. Now just frame. Crazy

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I am selling a 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 6fattie. True, you never can come close to getting a decent return when selling a year or two old bike. The price keeps going up but the technology keeps improving too. My Stumpy has been most expensive yet. I think the Following will actually cost me less !!

10,000,000 Watts
    Cool, I sold the same bike last year, I think I got like 4K. Nice bike, but man did I miss the 29er wheels!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Wow, if you got 4k for it, that is great!!
    I only get people "watching" my post but not bidding or buying it in the end even with a lower price for what you sold yours for.
    Did you sell it online? Locally or did you ship it?

10,000,000 Watts
    Well, that was a year ago and I sold it on Craigslist. The swat door is really cool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I have mine in Craig's list too as well as three other sites. Being for local listings, Craig's list isn't helping because of my location. RI isn't exactly a mountain biking mecca.
    Are you running WT wheels and tires on your Following? If so, how wide are your tires?

10,000,000 Watts
    No WT, Nox farlow rims 30mm inner width with current 2.4-2.25 Ardents. Trying to use them up and replace with Butcher 2.6 , Slaughter 2.35. Maiden voyage in 2 days.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I have been wondering if I need to go with WT or not. Please let me know what you think of the traction with non-WT. Also, I plan on going with a DHF 2.5" in the front and either a DHR II or Aggressor 2.4" in the rear.
    Also, if you don't mind, what is your general location for you trails?

10,000,000 Watts
    Traction will be fine. The 2.6 Grid Butcher is a great front tire for the weight, followed with the slaughter for speed in the rear. I ride WNC, DuPont, Pisgah, Asheville etc..

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I am somewhat familiar with those trails from watching videos from BKXC, The Singletrack Sampler and Seth's Bike Hacks, among others. Those trails look like alot of fun.
    So maybe with the 29" wheels WT isn't necessary. Thank you for the info and again good luck on your maiden voyage !!

Captain One Lung Administrator
    The e13 TRSr up front is like magic grip on my Calling. It's by far my favorite do it all front tire. I have a bike room full of other highly rated tires but this one works for me in wet, dry, dusty, loamy, rocky, chunky whatever.

The rear tire is a bit of a seasonal thing and how strong I'm feeling game. I swap the rear quite often. I hate pedaling so big knobbies scary me but I love the secure feeling of big knobs. I ran a 2.6 Slaughter Grid all summer and we got along very well unless there were wet roots or rocks around. That's when they were terrible. I swapped back my old favorite rear, Trail Boss 2.4, but now it felt skittish and not well dampened like the Slaughter. I slapped a DHRII 2.4 on tonight in hopes of finding the traction and volume I desire with rolling resistance I can live with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    @JCWages, what is the internal width of your rims ?

Captain One Lung Administrator
    @JCWages, what is the internal width of your rims ?
    Race Face Turbine R 30mm internal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks JCW. I am looking to get The Following MB. I know you are on the Calling, but do you feel like WT rims and tires would be overkill? I ride in the northeast, so it generally tight singletrack with many roots and rocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Which to choose; Evil Calling or Following MB for RI singletrack ?

Thanks JCW. I am looking to get The Following MB. I know you are on the Calling, but do you feel like WT rims and tires would be overkill? I ride in the northeast, so it generally tight singletrack with many roots and rocks.
    Im on a Calling as well. Also have a Wreckoning. Im on 30mm internal Nox Farlow for both bikes. Running 2.6s on the Calling and love them. Im definitely planning to go bigger than the 2.35s that are currently on the Wreck after riding the current setup on my Calling. I especially dig the 2.6 DHF up front. The 2.6 Rekon has some limitations in my opinion. Waiting for the bigger Aggressor and DHRII to come out to solve that. I dont think WTs would be overkill on the MB at all. If I build one, it will 2.4-2.6 for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have a Calling in the Atlanta area and I think it's awesome for tight East Coast woods riding (150mm Pike and 30mm internal rims with 2.35/2.4 tires, x-Low). I also have a couple of Insurgents out West. I did a comparison when I had both Insurgent and Calling in Atlanta and found the Calling to be more nimble in the typical East Coast tight singletrack. Out West, the Insurgent is a little bit better because of the higher speed, bigger hits you'll find on a typical ride. I know it's not exactly a Calling vs Following MB for the Northeast response but I thought I'd pitch in my $.02 about the Calling on East Coast trails.
    Which to choose; Evil Calling or Following MB for RI singletrack ?-img_6480.jpg