Chamois Hagar- Mtbr.com

Thread: Chamois Hagar

mtbr member

Chamois Hagar

Ready to add this to the stable, will be selling my Rocky Mountain Solo. Anybody tried one out? Thinking I might go Large at 5í10Ē long torso.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Following (ha.)

I'm 6ft, I was thinking medium with wide bars...

Really interesting bike. GRX

my church is the woods
    Anxiously awaiting reviews of this beast. Looks like a sick bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Me too! They're popping up on Instagram, but no real reviews yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

mtbr member
    As a roadie who rides gravel and also dabbles in MTB, the geo of this bike looks decidedly like an MTB rider's gravel bike.... suited for smashing the gnarliest gravel roads and double track trails, but would probably feel slow and not so agile on the road. The head tube angle is very slack compared to even normal gravel bikes, which are slack compared to most road bikes.... I think this bike could be rad if you ride really gnarly gravel roads and would even be fine on single track, but wouldn't necessarily do well as a bike that could also double as a road bike.

It is definitely a different approach to gravel bikes, but you'd kind of expect that coming from a company that is known for kind of disrupting the norms in the MTB world. Definitely interested in seeing the reviews as they get out into the wild.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

"so pitted"
    Bike Rumor just put a review out as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxXwGPy8cN0

my church is the woods

mtbr member
    May 2005
    When this bike 1st came out I thought it looked odd, especially when compared to my Otso Warakin. Now a few weeks later, the Chamois just looks right. Would live to ride one/possibly own one in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Still trying to decide between a medium and a large. Iím currently on a large Rocky Mountain solo but the geo is obviously very different.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm 6ft, 32 inch inseam, tend to favor size 56 frames. I went medium with a 70mm stem and 46cm bars.

I probably could have swung a large, and did a lot of math trying to compare it to my dirt drop ECR, but what swayed me medium was the ability to fairly easily go a bit long, versus being always stuck with the shortest stem possible, and maybe not feeling.good if I want to try the new gen of wide drop bars.

Mine hasn't shipped yet, and I'm traveling for work next week... The waiting is hard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I recently bought a Topstone aluminum 105 to try out the gravel scene and I like it more than I thought I would. Now I have my eye on this bike. If I can sell my Topstone with less than 150 miles on it, then maybe I'll make the jump. Post up some photos as you all receive your Chamois Hagar bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Fedex is in the process of dropping the ball on my bike, hasn't moved since Friday, when I called they say the real delivery date is now Thursday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Got it! Had to go get it after fedex sat on it for a week, but it's here now.

Evil did a good job building it up - all I had to do was bolt up the bar and front wheel, which was honestly sort of a bummer, I like building bikes...but I went through it, everything was tight, well asjusted, ready to ride. I put bottle cages, Garmin mount and a new seatbon, through the stock seat is probably just fine.

I'm 6ft, average proportions. I'm on an M with a 70mm stem and 46cm bars and a bunch of spacers under the stem - I asked for a lot, as many as they could, it's probably about 50mm. Fit is great - I could have gone large, but it would have been longer than ideal. I get back pain on bikes that are too stretched out, and I want to mess with wider bars, which only end up feeling longer. Besides bar experiments, I'll probably drop the stem a bit, maybe just flip it.

One ride in, a quick, cold 20 mile rip on shitty road. Its stable, fast, rides smooth on chunky pavement. Some reviews indicated it was a bit harsh; maybe compared to other carbon road bikes, but felt awesome to me, even on 'only' 34c Byways. It snowed the other day, so I was dodging piles of snow at intersections and piddles of water that might be ice at every turn, so conditions basically sucked... Which is consistent in suburban Chicago land, and exactly why I wanted a grarly bike. No real gravel or single track today, because it's all a snow and mud mixture right now.

And...it's not a mountain bike. It's a gravel bike. Doesn't feel like a mountain bike, feels like a crazy capable drop bar bike.

1 ride and 20 miles... Pretty happy with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    Got it! Had to go get it after fedex sat on it for a week, but it's here now.

Evil did a good job building it up - all I had to do was bolt up the bar and front wheel, which was honestly sort of a bummer, I like building bikes...but I went through it, everything was tight, well asjusted, ready to ride. I put bottle cages, Garmin mount and a new seatbon, through the stock seat is probably just fine.

I'm 6ft, average proportions. I'm on an M with a 70mm stem and 46cm bars and a bunch of spacers under the stem - I asked for a lot, as many as they could, it's probably about 50mm. Fit is great - I could have gone large, but it would have been longer than ideal. I get back pain on bikes that are too stretched out, and I want to mess with wider bars, which only end up feeling longer. Besides bar experiments, I'll probably drop the stem a bit, maybe just flip it.

One ride in, a quick, cold 20 mile rip on shitty road. Its stable, fast, rides smooth on chunky pavement. Some reviews indicated it was a bit harsh; maybe compared to other carbon road bikes, but felt awesome to me, even on 'only' 34c Byways. It snowed the other day, so I was dodging piles of snow at intersections and piddles of water that might be ice at every turn, so conditions basically sucked... Which is consistent in suburban Chicago land, and exactly why I wanted a grarly bike. No real gravel or single track today, because it's all a snow and mud mixture right now.

And...it's not a mountain bike. It's a gravel bike. Doesn't feel like a mountain bike, feels like a crazy capable drop bar bike.

1 ride and 20 miles... Pretty happy with it.

Thanks for the short review! I find it interesting that you went with a medium. Iím 5í10 and leaning towards a large. I am currently on a large RM Solo. The large solo is slightly smaller than the medium chamois but the stock stem lengths are obviously quite a bit different.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Stem length and the reach created by drop bars and brifters have a huge impact - the bat/brifters factor usually gets left out of the equation, but that's 75-100mm of extension to your resting position.

I could totally be on a large...but I'm consistently more comfortable on a 56 drop bar bike. Very Happ with my M. On a modern mountain bike, different story - always an L.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    any new or updated ride reports?

mtbr member
    My AXS build should be here later this week or the first of next week. I went with a large at 5'10".

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    My AXS build should be here later this week or the first of next week. I went with a large at 5'10".
    Just curious what kind of cockpit set up you're going with, and what size drop bar bikes you usually prefer. I'm a couple inches taller than you, and really.happy with my M.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    Just curious what kind of cockpit set up you're going with, and what size drop bar bikes you usually prefer. I'm a couple inches taller than you, and really.happy with my M.
    Iím on a large Rocky Mountain solo right now and I feel the reach is too short. Iím going to try the stock 50mm stem first but Iíll most likely run a enve m6 40mm stem and an enve bar. I think the stem on my RM is 80mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Looked up the geo on the Solo vs. the CH....of you like the fit of the Solo, I'm betting you'll be psyched with the CH...guess we just have different fit preferences.

mtbr member
    I received my large CH and everything is great but the 170mm seatpost is just millimeters too tall for me. My local shop is ordering in a 150mm and they are going to swap it out at no charge. I can't wait to put some time in on it. Really interesting how the SRAM AXS controls work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chamois Hagar-3ed7d0f7-1a44-4f47-8e6d-f84b72b0db8d.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just sent Evil an email...my bike didn't come with a chainstay guard....

mtbr member
    Glenn, you were right.. I need a medium frame. If anybody wants a large frame and fork Iíll sell it for $2550 shipped. It only has 10 miles on it and is mint

mtbr member
    Glenn, you were right.. I need a medium frame. If anybody wants a large frame and fork Iíll sell it for $2550 shipped. It only has 10 miles on it and is mint
    Interesting - would mind explaining more on why you feel like sizing down?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Interesting - would mind explaining more on why you feel like sizing down?
    I can definitely ride the bike with no issues but if Iím going to take it on the trail I think I would have better control on a medium. I also have a shorter inseam and already swapped to a 150 reverb and itís borderline for me. Out of the saddle I love the length but in the saddle the top tube is a tad too long.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Sorry to hear your sizing didn't work out - these things are getting a lot of bike media love, hopefully you can give someone a deal on the large and get it sorted out pretty quick.

mtbr member
    I ended up buying a medium frame and fork so I will have a large chamois hagar frame with the new fork from the medium for sale.. $2350 shipped in US.

mtbr member
    How are you CH owners finding the ride quality? The reviews are saying itís very stiff and non-compliant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I think there is a heavy dose of perspective in the feel of the bike, and most reviewers are coming from a more road biased perspective, where are are probably much noodly bikes in general. The good old days for road bikes that feel like death traps are the antithesis of this bike.

I use mine as an 'all road' bike with a few miles of single track here and there. It feels fantastic on shitty roads and gravel, even if the occasional Chicago style pot hole rattles a filling. I'm on 34c Byways at 50psi.

Compared to my drop by ECR on 2.5s, which this replaced, the float of the massive tire is missing, but I'd characterize the frameset as far more 'compliant' on terms of sucking up chatter. For example, if you just lean on the seat, you'll see noticeable deflection of the seattube area; it's not some kind of jackhammer.

mtbr member
    Chamois Hagar-20200503_090836.jpg

Drop the mic! Don't judge this bike until you ride it. I read all the reviews, I watched all the YouTube vids prior to riding it. None of them did this bike justice. Could it ride a little smoother, could steer a little quicker... eh. It's a rigid hardtail and some of these complaints can be addressed with a suspension dropper (PNW Coastal) for ride compliance or go with a carbon post if you don't need the dropper. I personally have zero complaints with the steering at slow speed or during steep climbing. I have no issues keeping it straight and grinding up a steep hill, descending is bliss. Loving the gearing for semi fast road (it's not a road bike), for steep climbs, and casual riding. I'm more of an XC rider/gravel and roadie and it's slacker than my mountain bike. EVIL was the farthest thing from my radar and here I am. This is a medium sized frame all stock w the seatpost setup from center of the crank to top of seat at 29" for reference. I'm 5'9 1/2" and fits like a glove.
    -2020 EVIL Chamois Hagar GRX

RETIRED:
    -2019 C'dale SuperSlateX
    -2017 Cídale Scalpel Carbon 3
    -2014 Cídale Bad Boy 1

Incredulous bastard
    I'm one ride in and absolutely loving my Chamois Hagar. I'm 5'11 and the large fits me perfect. I bought it direct from the website, and went with a few small changes. I went with the Ti saddle over the CroMo one, the blackwall tires, and the absolutely killer ENVE 48cm-60cm bar. The bike feels amazing at high speeds and I have no problems with low speed handling. Oddly, the only time I felt the front end wonder at all is when I was stand/hammering on climbs at fairly fast speeds. Probably I'll just get used to that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chamois Hagar-chamon.jpg  

Last edited by no one in particular; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:58 AM. Reason: add photo

mtbr member
    I still have a large frame in mint condition with a brand new fork with an uncut steerer tube, new headset. Looking to get $1850.

Incredulous bastard
    I still have a large frame in mint condition with a brand new fork with an uncut steerer tube, new headset.
    I'm curious...where did you buy it, and why did they not entertain simply swapping the frame out for you? If you don't mind.

mtbr member
    Medium incoming. stoked and will be a nice compliment to road and trail bike.

Incredulous bastard
    So is anyone else having issues with their WTB Proterra rear wheel? My first one was way out of true after 1 ride. I'm not the best wheel fixer, but I got it reasonably straight. But after another couple of rides, it was rubbing the frame and had multiple very loose non-drive side spokes. EVIL, being excellent, quickly sent a replacement wheel.

All looked well until after my first ride (just road and some easy gravel) and once again the new wheel was well out of true and had 4 very loose non-drive side spokes.

I'm starting to think this particular wheelset may not be up to the task of being on this bike.