The Calling seems to be calling me...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2018

The Calling seems to be calling me...

I知 new to Evil and looking to get rid of my 18 Transition Patrol as it just seems like too much bike for me for what I ride - trail with roots and rocks with equal climbing and downhill. I also own a Ibis Ripley LS that I love and ride 95% of the time. My thoughts are to transfer everything from the Patrol to the Calling. It has a Fox 36 with a 37mm offset. I would like to try that out and change it from 170 to 150. Any thoughts on the reduced setback on the Calling at 150 travel?

Is the 11-6 upgrade worth the money? I just upgraded from a DPS to a DPX2 on the Ripley and sticks like glue on the tech climbs now.

i have looked at The Offering too, but would be afraid it would be too close to my Ripley.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If the Patrol feels like too much bike, then an 11-6 will be pointless. Stick with the Super Deluxe, it's a great shock.

The reduced offset will feel the same as it did on the patrol, less floppy, less tuck. If you liked that feels you'll like it on the Calling too. Bikes aren't designed around a specific offset, no matter what manufacturers say, for he same given geometry, the same offset will feel the same between bikes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I got my 2018 Calling last summer to complement mi Yeti sb6 as I also thought it was to much bike for some of the trails in my area. Best decision I've ever made. The sb6 needs a lot of speed to come alive and has long chainstays that plan it to the ground. The Calling is like a large BMX. You can pop of little rocks and stomps like nothing. It's such playful fun bike no matter the trail or the speed, but it is also very capable on the downs.

Get it, you won't regret it.
    2016 YETI sb6c
    2018 EVIL Calling
    2018 Commencal Meta HT AM
    2013 YETI sb66c
    2011 Rocky Mountain Altitude
    2009 YETI DJ

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    answer the call

Bodhisattva
    Calling is a very fun bike and extremely capable.

Yes, 11.6 is a significant upgrade over the stock shock. The Super Deluxe feels ok when new (although not as good as 11.6), but performance definitely of the SD degrades over times. I didn't realize how poopy it was until I get my 11.6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kerpoise View Post
    If the Patrol feels like too much bike, then an 11-6 will be pointless. Stick with the Super Deluxe, it's a great shock.

The reduced offset will feel the same as it did on the patrol, less floppy, less tuck. If you liked that feels you'll like it on the Calling too. Bikes aren't designed around a specific offset, no matter what manufacturers say, for he same given geometry, the same offset will feel the same between bikes.
    Not really the same geometry though...
    "Mi amor Nuevo Mi駻coles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Thanks for everyone痴 input. I知 going to try the 37mm offset I currently have and see how it feels. If it痴 no good I値l buy a new CSU with a regular offset. As for the 11-6, I知 still on the fence primarily due to the cost. If not, I may get the DPX2 as I知 familiar with it.

I知 open to more input and opinions.

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018
    I have a new Calling and ride exactly what you describe in the PNW. Ive been on it since late summer (from a 17 SC Tallboy, first mtn bike ever) & I dont notice much more effort on the climbs. It's stock with the Super Deluxe right now and its amazing. I built it with a 44 offset Fox 36 on it & a 50mm stem and I could feel it want to tuck and knife a bit. So I recently dropped to 40mm stem and it feels spot on for me...it doesn't wander up and doesn't tuck down. I'm about to drop my BB to XLOW now that Ive been on it for a spell...and i cant fn wait to turn it loose. I know there might be an uphill penalty for dropping to XLOW, but so what. You know what I'm most excited about? Moving to COIL SHOCKS...oh my. If you're a 29r fan...skip to the Offering. You can't lose either way.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Not really the same geometry though...
    No, but I can definitely tell the difference between offsets on bikes. I've had 44, 46, 51, and as it increases I can feel more tuck. Swapping between a Rallon and my Offering the difference between the 44 and my 51 is obvious.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbpuckerfactor View Post
    I have a new Calling and ride exactly what you describe in the PNW. Ive been on it since late summer (from a 17 SC Tallboy, first mtn bike ever) & I dont notice much more effort on the climbs. It's stock with the Super Deluxe right now and its amazing. I built it with a 44 offset Fox 36 on it & a 50mm stem and I could feel it want to tuck and knife a bit. So I recently dropped to 40mm stem and it feels spot on for me...it doesn't wander up and doesn't tuck down. I'm about to drop my BB to XLOW now that Ive been on it for a spell...and i cant fn wait to turn it loose. I know there might be an uphill penalty for dropping to XLOW, but so what. You know what I'm most excited about? Moving to COIL SHOCKS...oh my. If you're a 29r fan...skip to the Offering. You can't lose either way.
    I ended up buying the Offering. Frame arrived the other day and will be building it up while it rains AGAIN this weekend.

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018
    Niiiiiice. Black or Blue? You stickin with the DPX2? That bike is gonna shred. Im saving up for the DHX2. Hope to have scraped up enough by SPRINGtime. :P

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbpuckerfactor View Post
    Niiiiiice. Black or Blue? You stickin with the DPX2? That bike is gonna shred. Im saving up for the DHX2. Hope to have scraped up enough by SPRINGtime. :P
    Black. Yes, got it with the DPX2. For now I知 putting on the Fox 34 at 140mm from my Ibis.

MTBPuckerFactor
    Jun 2018
    #bleedblackblood bro...welcome to the party.