Best traveling Bag/Case for EVIL bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Best traveling Bag/Case for EVIL bike?

Hi guys,

please share your experience on traveling with your Evil bikes on a plane. What bags or cases did you use,pictures if available. Pros and cons?

mtbr member
    I've traveled with my Following three times now and have just used a 29er bike box from my LBS each time. Use plumber's pipe wrap and extra cardboard/padding etc and have never had a problem. With a 50lb weight limit on bike boxes before you get boned for overweight (as opposed to oversize), I like to keep the weight of the bag/box down and I find the Evoc and other bags heavy. Your mileage may vary...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robertson
    I have the Dakine bike bag, have flown with my size L Following with it 4 times, pretty easy to put together once you get it figured out. A plus is it looks more luggage like than most bike bags and I got it counted as my normal checked luggage on a few of those flights!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i used a smallish box and it was a pain to get it in but luckily had zero damage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by brinot View Post
    I've traveled with my Following three times now and have just used a 29er bike box from my LBS each time. Use plumber's pipe wrap and extra cardboard/padding etc and have never had a problem. With a 50lb weight limit on bike boxes before you get boned for overweight (as opposed to oversize), I like to keep the weight of the bag/box down and I find the Evoc and other bags heavy. Your mileage may vary...
    Just cardboard not gonna cut it this time. Gonna be taking 4 different planes and many hours by train. Needs to have good comfy handles, wheels and last long. Otherwise would use your method.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    I have the Dakine bike bag, have flown with my size L Following with it 4 times, pretty easy to put together once you get it figured out. A plus is it looks more luggage like than most bike bags and I got it counted as my normal checked luggage on a few of those flights!
    Is it this bag you talking about? Dakine Bike Bag

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It is pricey but the EVOC bike travel bag pro has handles and wheels and is probably worth it if you travel a bit with your bike. For your trip with planes, trains and automobiles it might be just the ticket BIKE TRAVEL BAG PRO - EVOC - PROTECTIVE SPORTS PACKS .

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by danglingmanhood View Post
    It is pricey but the EVOC bike travel bag pro has handles and wheels and is probably worth it if you travel a bit with your bike. For your trip with planes, trains and automobiles it might be just the ticket BIKE TRAVEL BAG PRO - EVOC - PROTECTIVE SPORTS PACKS .
    I have seen this and I have heard some bad feedback. Zip pulleys are tend to break and handle is very uncomfortable as it digs in to your hand. Especially when you need to drag it longer distances between flights and such. Some people said it is not worth paying over 100 more for PRO version. So far from my research Dakine bike bag is my favorite.

Also been talking to Ultix brand and they said their new upgraded version is going to be ready in 2-3 months time and will be designed to fit 29" better than previous/current model which is very tight fit.

It is still interesting what others been using, what features they liked and what not.

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by stafass View Post
    Is it this bag you talking about? Dakine Bike Bag
    That's the one, found it on sale on Jenson for $300. I've wheeled it long distances, very comfy handles and stable rolling. Highly recommend

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    how much longer is the wreck than the following, i was gonna buy a bag but noticed some couldn't hold a bike as long as the wreck, that dakine bag looks super nice though! i like the design. the website doesn't list the max bike wheelbase for the bag.

mtbr member
    I have traveled to Canada with my Insurgent in an EVOC travel bag. The ease alone is worth the cost. It takes 15 minutes, max, to re-assemble your bike and maybe 20 minutes to disassemble it. We watched our buddy, with an Insurgent, take easily 45 minutes with a bike box. Once you've unpacked your bike, you can remove the posts and it collapses to a duffel bag size. It's got wheels for easy travel through the airport. I was very impressed and so were my 2 other travel buddies who bought one.

I highly reccomend the EVOC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I have the EVOC bag. It's awesome. I've traveled around the US with it as well as overseas multiple times. I've never had issues with it other than stuff getting wet when it sat in the rain for too long.

The handle has always been comfortable for me.

Mine is an older version and it can fit 27.5" wheels with inflated tires or 29" wheels with deflated tires.

mtbr member

EVOC Bike Bag

I second the EVOC Bike Bag. I've also used the EVOC bag with the new bike tray which is even better (the tray will retrofit to the EVOC bags). Tip: Remove your rotors- It takes a few minutes longer but I've had a couple of bikes had rotors bent beyond recovery during shipping/traveling.
    Best traveling Bag/Case for EVIL bike?-16143171_10210030863180380_7391390384921621600_n.jpg
    Best traveling Bag/Case for EVIL bike?-16002821_10210019133527146_7073471949610581793_n.jpg
    Best traveling Bag/Case for EVIL bike?-15977924_10210019133247139_2897119285028296431_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks for the feedback guys! It is really difficult to choose when you can't have a look at one or touch it.

Auto Racer
    I have the PRO soft case. This past year I flew with my Following to Dirt Fest in PA, Whistler, Livigno Italy, and Lenzeheide Switzerland. Flying this Tuesday to Vegas to ride Boulder City trails with it. I'm getting my money out of it for sure. I can get the bike in or out of the case in about 20 min now. Centerlock rotors make life really easy and speed up the packing/unpacking time. Never had the bike damaged, but Lufthansa did manage to break off one of the casters. Was easily able to source a new set of four as Shimano America has them in stock, local LBS can help with that. Case packs down when not in use as well, handy when storing in rental car or in hotel room.

Rolls really easy with the four swivel casters, pushing from the back makes it steer straight and is a one hand operation as my other hand usually is pulling my roller duffel with clothes and gear. The bag is light enough so with the bike I can still fit in pads, helmet, hydration bag, some tools, and spare tire while just nudging up to the 50lb weight allowance of most airlines. I fly with *G status so I have 70lb allowance so I can fill the bag with the above stuff plus riding clothes, full face, etc and it all fits easily. There are internal organizers that help out and keep things from floating around. I do use some bubble wrap around the fork leg where the handlebar sits to keep scratching to a minimum.

I used to use a Trico hard case and would never do that again, the TSA guys just mess up all your careful packing and packing and unpacking required me to take off the fork, a major hassle. TSA looks inside bike cases every time I've flown as they don't fit through the X-ray machines. I get the little TSA notification inserts every time, have a nice collection going now. Co-worker used a Thule case that had a built in bike stand, wasn't impressed with that case as loading the bike was a hassle and being a hard case it was always in the way once we were on the ground.

I've use the PRO case for road bikes as well to Europe a few times and the adjustable axle holder setup makes it easy to go from Q/R to thru axles without having to buy extra hardware like the EVOC case. My buddy has the same PRO case and had no problems fitting his XL sized Santa Cruz V10 so it's got room for big bikes. I can fit 29'er wheel with a Minion DHF 2.5/DHR 2.4 WT in the wheel pockets, not sure if a plus tire would work though as it's close to maxed with the DHF 2.5.

I'm happy with my choice, I think the two best on the market for MTB's are the EVOC and the PRO. Check out both, there are pro's and con's to each. HTH.

mtbr member
    Evict pro

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle019 View Post
    I get the little TSA notification inserts every time, have a nice collection going now. .
    Same here. I have the Evoc and it's well designed. I've used it many times and it protects the bike well. 29er wheels with large tires and rims are a bit of a stretch to get into the wheel pockets, I usually have to deflate quite a bit. More than 29x30mm rims might not be possible IME. Also, fat-bike rims are a no-go, there just isn't enough space for the wide rims. Still, I really like the Evoc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.