Best rear shock option for Following V1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best rear shock option for Following V1

My shock has been losing air and needs to be serviced. My question is what is a good replacement shock for the V1 Following? Or should I just have the original one serviced?

mtbr member
    I sent my Monarch to Avalanche a few weeks after buying my v1 Following and itís been fantastic. Highly recommend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtravnh View Post
    I sent my Monarch to Avalanche a few weeks after buying my v1 Following and itís been fantastic. Highly recommend!

Manitou McLeod. Better than Avalanche'd Monarch. Avalanche is an improvement over stock, but I like McLeod better. Monarch is now my backup

Tribe member
    I have an Avalanche'd Monarch on my bike, but I'm keeping my eye out for a McLeod. I guess it gives you slightly more travel (I think 127mm?).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by feltbee View Post
    I have an Avalanche'd Monarch on my bike, but I'm keeping my eye out for a McLeod. I guess it gives you slightly more travel (I think 127mm?).
    44mm vs 42mm stroke, so yes. Stock McLeod is 190x50 with 6mm spacer to reduce to 184x44 by limiting the stroke. I ran at 190x50 since I didn't have the spacer initially (have to order from Manitou). That increased the travel to around 140mm without any problems. I increased for fork travel to match the rear. Now that I have the spacer, I go back and forth between 127mm and ~140mm depending on the terrain. With -1 angle-set, loving this setup.

Tribe member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibis315 View Post
    44mm vs 42mm stroke, so yes. Stock McLeod is 190x50 with 6mm spacer to reduce to 184x44 by limiting the stroke. I ran at 190x50 since I didn't have the spacer initially (have to order from Manitou). That increased the travel to around 140mm without any problems. I increased for fork travel to match the rear. Now that I have the spacer, I go back and forth between 127mm and ~140mm depending on the terrain. With -1 angle-set, loving this setup.
    That's fantastic!! Anyone want to buy an Avalanched Monarch?!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Interested in avalanched monarch for v1 if you're serious about selling.

mtbr member
    I've been "following" these suggestions for my bike setup. Got a McLeod online for $200 shipped. I also put a 150 Push ACS 3 in my Pike (highly recommended). *ACS3 kits are half of right now for non-boost, pre-2018 forks. My Works -1 Angleset is still in the mail from UK. Did my first ride yesterday and it feels like a new bike. I PR'd all the DH sections without it even feeling like it, nor with the suspension completed sorted. I'm on a size large Following with a 150 dropper; no interference with tire at all. I'm 180lbs, 190ish with gear. I did notice the my bash-guard tab was contacting the rear triangle just barely. When I would pop off trail obstacles, I could feel a clunk. I did a quick fix for this and Dremeled the tab contact point and it looks sorted now. Not sure if others experienced this with McLeod either. Curious if I'm the only one. Pic pre-dremeled attached. I'll be playing with 6 mm spacer in the future as I experiment more. Need to acquire one and install. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated. Thanks to all these fabulous suggestions from several members. I'll update as I go.

mtbr member
    Post-Dremeled tab:

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Energ8t View Post
    I've been "following" these suggestions for my bike setup. Got a McLeod online for $200 shipped. I also put a 150 Push ACS 3 in my Pike (highly recommended). *ACS3 kits are half of right now for non-boost, pre-2018 forks. My Works -1 Angleset is still in the mail from UK. Did my first ride yesterday and it feels like a new bike. I PR'd all the DH sections without it even feeling like it, nor with the suspension completed sorted. I'm on a size large Following with a 150 dropper; no interference with tire at all. I'm 180lbs, 190ish with gear. I did notice the my bash-guard tab was contacting the rear triangle just barely. When I would pop off trail obstacles, I could feel a clunk. I did a quick fix for this and Dremeled the tab contact point and it looks sorted now. Not sure if others experienced this with McLeod either. Curious if I'm the only one. Pic pre-dremeled attached. I'll be playing with 6 mm spacer in the future as I experiment more. Need to acquire one and install. Any suggestions on that would be appreciated. Thanks to all these fabulous suggestions from several members. I'll update as I go.

I have the same top-out issue with stock 190x50 McLeod install. Without the 6mm spacer to reduce the stroke to 44mm, you will hit that tab. I left the tab alone since it doesn't bother me too much.

My setup : Fox36 @ 160mm, -1 Works angle-set, McLeod @ stock 190x50. The head-angle measures 66 with my phone app, Delta link in "Hi" setting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Have a DPS from fanatik in excellent condition (10-12 rides) if anyone is interested. I just prefer the monarch. Lemme know.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Francine View Post
    My shock has been losing air and needs to be serviced. My question is what is a good replacement shock for the V1 Following? Or should I just have the original one serviced?
    I've had both and I'll offer another vote for a Mcleod over Avalanche.