1st Insurgent ride vs Mojo3 vs Mach5- Mtbr.com
    dmo
    mtbr member

1st Insurgent ride vs Mojo3 vs Mach5

I rode the Insurgent for the first time today and wanted to share my experiences. Im coming off of a Ibis Mojo3 with 3.0/2.8 tires. The plus tires on the mojo make the bike feel real stable through technical stuff (chunky rocks and roots). The Evil is stable too but more nimble. Its heavy (30lb vs 28 compared to my m3) and feels real playful in a grounded way. I have a hard time wheelieng and manualing both bikes for whatever reason. On the evil, even on my first ride i was riding stuff i would never try before. I had plenty of oh shit moments where the Evil saved my ass. The suspension was flawless. I met a guy riding a Pivot Mach5 and rode his bike just a little. His bike was even more playful and i could get the front end up way easier. Made me think of getting one. He had a Fox 36 160mm fork. I have a Pike 150mm.I havent tried the extra low setting on the Insurgent yet. Should i try that or try changing stem height and/or length? I might try putting my plus 3.0" front wheel on just for kicks to see what that feels like. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Not sure why you would have an easier time manualling the mach 5p5. Maybe that bike had a super short stem? All these bikes have short CS. Id imagine its easiest on the mojo3 with its short CS and wheelbase. Maybe the mach had a lot of spacers making the stack super high.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Not sure why you would have an easier time manualling the mach 5p5. Maybe that bike had a super short stem? All these bikes have short CS. Id imagine its easiest on the mojo3 with its short CS and wheelbase. Maybe the mach had a lot of spacers making the stack super high.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Good point. I think it did have a bunch of spacers now that you mention it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Interesting about weight.. my HD3 frame weighed 300g MORE than my Insurgent..
    10mm on the front end will make a huge difference to how easy the front comes up. Changing your forks will make it totally different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #bleedblackdieevil

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Awesome! Evil has recently flown on my Radar. Looking at picking up a 27.5 bike, I'm getting a demo on the Mojo 3 tomorrow... sadly nobody does Demo days of Evils here in Santa Cruz country. Interested to see how the Evil Calling rides.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    I find it amazing that Evil does not do a Norcal demo day, and a Socal demo day (screw You Socal). 39,000,000 potential buyers does not pencil out? I want to test a Small and Medium Wreckoning. At 5'6", there is a pretty good chance that I could end up buying an Insurgent if it were sitting next to a Wreckoning on a demo day, and Wreckoning was a tad too much bike. The world may never know. I test rode The Following, loved it but want more than 120 travel to pair with a 160 Pike, and The Calling was awesome tester, but not different enough from my current bike. Dmo, thanks for the comparison, add more info if you have time.
    Last edited by hoolie; 07-01-2017 at 08:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I find it amazing that Evil does not do a Norcal demo day, and a Socal demo day (screw You Socal). 39,000,000 potential buyers does not pencil out? I want to test a Small and Medium Wreckoning. At 5'6", there is a pretty good chance that I could end up buying an Insurgent if they were sitting next to a Wreckoning on a demo day, and Wreckoning was a tad too much bike. The world may never know. I test rode The Following, loved it but want more than 120 travel to pair with a 160 Pike, and The Calling was awesomemtester, but not different enough from my current bike. Dmo, thanks for the comparison, add more info if you have time.
    Good point!(Screw Socal)

Being a native of California, I think my chunck of change is going to the local Ibis. I want to give those boys up in Washington a try, but they make it hard to take my money.