Mountain biking around Zurich- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mountain biking around Zurich

Hey all,
    My wife and I will be visiting Zurich, Oberwil-Lieli specifically, from the USA for a few days in August and we're considering trying to to some mountain biking if trails and bike rentals are easily available. I consider both of us XC/All mountain riders so not looking for any intense lift serve downhilling. We will have a car though is most likely won't be much of a bike hauler. Also not looking to drive many hours outside Zurich, maybe 1 to 2 hours max.

With that said, does anyone have any recommendations on where to ride? Ideally this would be somewhere we could also rent bikes. Would love to get input, thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Smile

Hi Dave

I think there are plenty of options for you to consider. First of all, the region of Uetliberg and Albis has some nice trails to offer. This would be great as you could basically start your rides from your doorstep in Oberwil-Lieli. A route I would recommend for example would be this one: Albishorn | singletrailzh. A map source I would suggest you have a look into is: https://www.schweizmobil.ch/en/mount...itzerland.html. I use it often to plan my rides in advance. For further inspiration, these websites present some nice routes around Zürich, that would be fairly easy to access from where you'll be staying: https://www.outdooractive.com/de/mtb...erich/1467873/ and singletrailzh | Die schönsten Singletrail-Mountainbike-Touren der Region Zürich..

As for bike rental, your best bet would be to rent in Zürich. There are plenty of shops that rent MTBs of all sorts. Unfortunately I don't have experience with any of them, so I can't give you recommendations.

If you are willing to travel a little further, there are plenty more options to choose from. Zürcher Oberland, Innerschweiz and Toggenburg are regions, that are within an hours drive from Zurich and that have quite a lot to offer.

I hope I was able to help you out a little. Don't hesitate to ask if more questions arise, I'll try to answer them as best as I can

mtbr member
    Thanks you so much! This is massively helpful and gives me a great starting point for my research. I was also informed by wife this morning that my in-laws who we are traveling with may want to visit Zermatt. So lots to look at now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Glad I could be of help. Zermatt is a major tourist hotspot in the Swiss Alps, so you should have no trouble renting a bike there. And of Course there's plenty of awesome rides available around Zermatt as well. For further information I'll link the mtb section of Zermatt's tourism website: https://www.zermatt.ch/en/bike