Would a Kona Honzo be sufficient for Enduro racing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Would a Kona Honzo be sufficient for Enduro racing?

I have never done a Enduro race but I really want to... it looks like most racers are using big hit trail FS type bikes, I have just recently acquired a Kona Honzo would it be a good bike to race Enduro or would I just be getting in over my head?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    I have never done a Enduro race but I really want to... it looks like most racers are using big hit trail FS type bikes, I have just recently acquired a Kona Honzo would it be a good bike to race Enduro or would I just be getting in over my head?
    Go for it! As a first time racer, you will be in category 3, or the equivalent and your Honzo should do fine. You may give up some on descents, but should make up time in pedally sections.

Let us know how it went. Ride within your limits and you'll have a great time.

I quit e-MTBR
    Enduro is about racing the bike you ride. Buying another bike just to race enduro is missing the point, IMO, especially for folks just getting into it. So yeah, from that perspective, if a Honzo is your regular ride then it's the right choice to race.

That's the stock answer, but it's not necessarily the whole story. A bike that works fine at your usual pace on your usual trails may not be comfortable or even safe-enough at race pace on an enduro course. Depends on how techy and fast the course is vs. your regular trails, and depends on your skills, style, and comfort-demands. With all that variability, you're just not going to get a reliable answer to "will Bike X work for enduro racing" from the internet.

So I think your best bet is just to do a race or two on the Honzo, riding within your limits like codypup says, and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the insight guys, perfect!! I am signing up for a race in August the descents are full of bed rock and some drops... I figure I will just have fun and try to keep my competitive side in check and try not to hurt myself.

Clueless Bastard
    Exactly. If you can, ride the course BEFORE you go to race it. Then, you'll have a much better idea of what you can and cannot ride. I'm a big proponent of getting off and running super techy sections. The dudes that bounce it, either DQ or burn so much time regaining their composure, it ultimately costs them the placing they were trying to achieve. Old man and Cody are right. If you can't pre-ride the course as others have said, just stay within your limits and have fun. Go Honzo!

Short-Change-Hero
    One variable that you have to remember is that without a known description of the trail that everyone has agreed on (e.g. the Whole Enchilada in MOAB) it would be hard for us to even begin to guess if it would work for you. And add to that the fact that your ENDURO course may be XC to someone else or vise versa.

Like everyone else said, Enduro (in the US at least it seems) is more of a "run what you brung" type of racing so the Honzo will suit you just fine. Ride safe and most of all have fun! I am building myself a more trail/am oriented by vs my XC (100mm travel) machine hardtail and cant wait until next year to try some local Enduro races.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm racing my first enduro this coming weekend at MT creek in NJ. I'll be taking my canfield nimble 9, very similar bike. So I can't comment on how well the honzo will do at an enduro race but, I rode the Nimble 9 at Burke mt bike park a few weeks ago and never felt out of place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    I have a kona taro al version of the honzo. I raced in Australia qld with a 220 people turn out. I went it elite top class on a friends reccomend at ion and was the only hardtail rider on the day. Placed 12th in elite! Jared graves was first of course and I guarantee if he was on my taro he would have still been first... These bikes are so goo. Just put some high roller 2 on it and you are good to go.