What race are you most excited for this year?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

What race are you most excited for this year?

Name:  61072742.jpg
Views: 1934
Size:  98.7 KB

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Any round of the BC Enduro series. Wicked course and great organizing.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    CDC in Post Canyon and NAEC in Kellogg, ID should be fun.

mtbr member
    CB in CO and WE in UT

Robertson
    The BME race in Sante Fe, mostly as it's probably the only race I'll get to do this year sadly

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by the need View Post
    CB in CO and WE in UT
    Hopefully, I'll do these two !

And I'll add the Monarch Crest enduro, and to start the season, the scott enduro cup in Moab.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierp View Post
    Hopefully, I'll do these two !

And I'll add the Monarch Crest enduro, and to start the season, the scott enduro cup in Moab.
    I'll probably see you guys at all of the above. I'm signed up for the scott enduro cup in Moab and then the entire Rocky Mountain enduro series
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'm super stoked to be racing the BME in Crested Butte.

Also looking at the Scott Cup at Angel Fire, it seems like that one is going to have more of a real backcountry day than the Rocky mountain series race there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by babesquatch View Post
    I'm super stoked to be racing the BME in Crested Butte.

Also looking at the Scott Cup at Angel Fire, it seems like that one is going to have more of a real backcountry day than the Rocky mountain series race there?
    Have you seen course descriptions anywhere? I've been on the fence for #2...
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Just what is posted on their websites:

From Scott "This two-day race challenges athletes to one day of grueling stages in the backcountry and one day of super fast and go-big airs and drops at the Angel Fire Bike Park—the largest bike park in the Rocky Mountains. "

From RMES:"Look for one day of complete lift service and second day of lift and pedal access stages."

RMES's kinda sounds like one day will be pedaling up the resort more than backcountry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah kinda ! I may be interested then ! I wasn't going to, but that backcountry oriented day may tempt me !

mtbr member
    Has BME changed with sandbaggers yet? I raced amateur with them a few years ago and was racing against full factory sponsored riders... like the dude was on the Pivot cycles homepage and crushed every single stage (possibly of every race that year in amateur?) lol. kind of lame. I emailed BME and their response was they cant do anything about it.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Another draw for me was Angel Fire is "only" $165 for a two day race, which is cheaper than anything else. The Enduro-X in Steamboat looks pretty rad in the RMES though.

I haven't actually raced a BME, but from what I've heard it's pretty hit and miss. I know a few people underwhelmed with how that was handled at Santa Fe last year. I can't speak for myself though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by babesquatch View Post
    Another draw for me was Angel Fire is "only" $165 for a two day race, which is cheaper than anything else. The Enduro-X in Steamboat looks pretty rad in the RMES though.

I haven't actually raced a BME, but from what I've heard it's pretty hit and miss. I know a few people underwhelmed with how that was handled at Santa Fe last year. I can't speak for myself though
    Doesn't sound like anything has changed then... The race (one and only) I did with them was at snowmass in 2014. Hour + timing delays and pro sandbaggers turned me off... I'm hoping the RMES will be different but I have my doubts. I am racing the older class now 30-39 I think? Whereas with BME it was 19-39 so that should help.
    Denver, CO

Robertson
    Sounds like the BME Sante Fe race may not be so great then? I haven't registered yet, this is making me consider going to https://www.pinkbike.com/news/angel-...e-details.html that weekend instead

mtbr member
    If they had anticipated the wait times better and/or split it between two days, it would have been pretty amazing. I finished stage 3 near 6pm, thus skipping the final stage because the sun was already setting and I hadn't even began the climb. With that said, the trails are genuinely tough to beat, mixing in tons of natural and manmade features.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I heard Santa Fe was really fun last year, but hard and too long. I think they are going to make some adjustments this year and trim it. I'm stoked for it.
    I agree with streetdoctor on the BME 19-39 class. Its too big. I'm 39 this year and I'll be racing 19 year olds! I think adding a 30-39 class would be rad.
    Consider what goes into putting these events on- its not easy. They work hard on it. I think the problem of waiting for stages has been fixed by having set stage times for each racer so you know when your turn is and you're not waiting around too bad. The last BME I did was like this and overall well run.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    @markmyers: I strongly disagree with the 30-39 category, I'm mentally not ready to be reminded I'm 30 this y

Santa Fe was a nice (though the facilities themselves are just plain weird) venue, but not the best as far as organization go.

On Saturday we struggled to find the med team for a potential concussion, luckily we got help from a pro racer who knew who to get on the phone, and then, meet them somewhere.
    Timing wasn't properly managed either. But that was the first time (I believe) they did a true backcountry race. Hopefully they learnt something here. On a side note, and my personal opinion, I see the point of having 30 seconds gap between pro racers, but for amateurs, they should be allowed to leave when they want, leave the gap or not)
    Shuttles to go to the Bike and beer festival (where the mandatory meeting was) inexistant or late (from what I've heard from several racers, as I drove there anyway)

I've raced enduro for the last 10 years in France and then in the USA, that was not a great one as far as organization, but that sucks, because the trails were awesome ! Steep, loose, fast, and technical ! A hard day, but fun. I unfortunately did not finish, because I blew up my fork damper during Stage 3. Which is a shame, because 4 was amazing ! And I couldn't wait to ride it. We seriously hurried up to "almost" finish it though. Starting sp1 et sp2 almost in the first amateurs, and climbing 3 the same. I barely rode 20 seconds on 3 before I lost all damping.

So my opinion may be a bit biased since a good weekend took a stupid turn

I may race CB, but only if I hear there has been change after the first races. Otherwise, I'll stick with the nearby Scott enduros, and the Rock series.

mtbr member
    Angel Fire- raced that a few years ago as part of New Mexico series- was super fun & Enduro-X in steamboat is a perennial fave. Keystone is back for BME also! Do I have to pick a favorite? I'm just excited to race again this season after only getting in 1 event last year (wife had a kid)