What class to start off in?- Mtbr.com
    I ride bikes

What class to start off in?

I am going to be racing in at least 1 enduro race this year, maybe more depending on how I enjoy it. Never done any mountain or road bike racing. Been riding quite a bit the last 3 years though. Consider myself intermediate.
    The classes are:
    Pro
    Expert
    Sport
    Beginner

I am not sure if I should sign up for the beginner or sport class. It probably doesnt really matter in the long run. Do you suppose beginner means new to biking or new to enduro racing? My bike is very enduro and I dont want to be that guy.

Thanks

Moe

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Are all classes running the same course?

I ran sport in my first race just because the course was longer and there's no real pride in winning the beginner class anyways...it's a learning experience more than anything.

I ride bikes
    They are all the same course except the pros have an additional segment.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Are all classes running the same course?

I ran sport in my first race just because the course was longer and there's no real pride in winning the beginner class anyways...it's a learning experience more than anything.
    This is something to consider.

Racing bikes isn't more than just toeing the line and seeing your results at the end of the day. It's about the preparation of your bike, clothing, and YOU in advance of that day. Getting your bike dialed in (don't replace cables the morning of the race), getting your food and water situation figured out (don't try a new drink or wonder food for the race without using it before hand), etc.

The few hours that you're on the bike will be the culmination of a bunch of seemingly unconnected efforts. Sure, you can blow all that off and get 90% of the results, and that works for some people. But, you have to figure out what works for you.
    Death from Below.

Robertson
    Not going to lie, you're probably going to do pretty poorly your first race. I did. Most everyone I know did. It's just such a new experience, your nerves will be going haywire, you'll probably crash a few times, etc. etc. There will also likely be some sandbaggers racing beginner, so I wouldn't worry about winning it your first race. Just do whichever sounds better! FWIW I did beginner my first race, switched to sport after that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I did my first enduro two months ago. I consider myself an intermediate to advanced rider. I ride crazier trails than the ones I was racing so I figured I could do well in the sport category. Almost immediately I realized the level of competition was way higher than I thought it would be. Overall I was pretty satisfied with how I raced, minus a few bonehead mistakes. I only placed 28 out of 32. I have a race at the end of the month and am going to start this season still racing sport. I feel like almost all the classes have people racing down a class and until I'm racing pro, I'm not going to worry about being at the top if the podium. Just have fun, make note of mistakes or things you could have done better and if you're really that serious its all in the preperation.

mtbr member
    Becoming an intermediate rider is not the same as being an intermediate racer. Learning how to handle the race day, the competition, the track, sign ups, and everything that goes along with racing.

I would like to race enduro one day too, good luck!
    And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver. A. Senna

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Race Beginner

pvd
    mtbr member
    Beginner because you are a beginner.
    You shouldn't enter the wrong class and end up ruining another riders race.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd View Post
    Beginner because you are a beginner.
    You shouldn't enter the wrong class and end up ruining another riders race.
    Perhaps.

He might also ruin the races of many other beginners by blowing past them at warp speed.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Perhaps.

He might also ruin the races of many other beginners by blowing past them at warp speed.
    True. Not sure if most races are like this but when I did my race there was no seeding with each class, Pro men went first, then Expert Men, then Pro Women, and so on and so on. But within each class you basically just started lining up and people would just talk to each other to try to figure out who should go when. If you're racing sport start at the back of the pack. If you pass someone on the first stage than maybe you can move up in the line next time. Everyone I went after told me at the start "if you catch up just holler at me and I'll get out of the way". I started to tell the guy behind me. If you get caught up to just get out of the way and its not going to ruin anyone's day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    if you've been riding for 3 years and are comfortable on your bike, go for sport...just learn the rules so u don't mess with other people who know how to race

the last race i was in, i kept telling this guy i needed to pass, but he wouldn't move, so that was annoying

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I always thought it would be a good idea to have a pre-race orientation especially for the lower class riders. Only takes a few minutes to go over some basics like yielding to riders behind you who are trying to pass if you are impeding them. Saying "on your right or left" or ringing a trail bell seem basic but many people in the first levels of racing don't know these things. If you have to walk a climb, try not to block the riding lines etc.