Upgrade Bronson or go new?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Upgrade Bronson or go new?

Wanted to get into doing more enduro racing this year, mostly around the Pacific Northwest. Possibly some of the Cat3 downhill races in the NW Cup series. I currently have a 2016 Santa Cruz Bronson C with just the basic stock suspension. Also looking to do Whistler more frequently, and I've read mixed things here about how a bike like the Bronson handles that.

But, for the racing stuff especially: I could get an Evil Wreckoning or Yeti SB5.5, orrrrr I could just upgrade the Bronson's suspension. Would one of the other bikes be a smarter move though? I really don't know how much of a difference between them there truly is--I'd say my skills are on the higher end of intermediate and I'm riding a lot more this year and improving consistently.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Always nice to get a new bike if you have the $$. I believe the newer bikes will have slightly slacker geometry which will help you on the down downhills.

mtbr member
    From a Sponsored Pro AM/Cat 2 MTB Racer; Id suggest you use what you have and save your prize money. Or you can simply rent a downhill bike instead of spending another 3500 to 5500 dollars. You can also try getting on a team; for a free bike and transportation coverage. Race Teams give free cars/bikes/motorcycles and handle transporting their driver or rider.

Id say keep the Bronson and just upgrade it to Fox suspension. And just rent a dh bike. Shouldnt be more than 60 to 80 dollars a day.

mtbr member
    ^what he said here... unless you are really pushing your bike to its limits the bronson can race enduro just fine! I don't see a reason to buy another bike given that it's a pretty recently released bike!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Awesome, thanks for the candid thoughts here. I'll stick with the Bronson, which by all accounts is an awesome bike, and upgrade to the higher-end Fox 36 fork and I guess the X2 shock, which seems to have tons of positive feedback on it.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bbg47 View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the candid thoughts here. I'll stick with the Bronson, which by all accounts is an awesome bike, and upgrade to the higher-end Fox 36 fork and I guess the X2 shock, which seems to have tons of positive feedback on it.
    I'd throw an angleset on it as well. I was running a 1deg works on my old bronson -- felt way more confidence-inspiring on steeper stuff like Predator and 27.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    That's great to know. What bike are you on now?

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bbg47 View Post
    That's great to know. What bike are you on now?
    Been on a knolly warden for a little more than a year now. I don't really have to choose lines anymore, so it gets me down to beers at the trailhead a little faster.

mtbr member
    I'd ditch that thing for a 29'er. 29'ers are the fastest.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    I'd ditch that thing for a 29'er. 29'ers are the fastest.
    That's what I keep hearing, but I keep seeing top competitors on 27.5 pretty frequently. Guess that might change over time though.

mtbr member
    That's not true. Frame and bike size are all height dependent. I know I wasn't comfortable during a test ride of a 29 inch Stuntjumper MTB. DONT listen to this guy, bbg. Go with what you feel comfortable with. And the Bronson is a great Enduro race bike. Keep it.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Iím with ya. Just bought my new suspension (X2 and Fox 36 160mm) and itíll be here Thursday. Thanks man.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragracer88 View Post
    That's not true. Frame and bike size are all height dependent. I know I wasn't comfortable during a test ride of a 29 inch Stuntjumper MTB. DONT listen to this guy, bbg. Go with what you feel comfortable with. And the Bronson is a great Enduro race bike. Keep it.
    The stuntjumper sounds like a sweet bike. I gotta check one out.
    Denver, CO