Timed transfer stages?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Timed transfer stages?

I am curious as to why the transfer stages on most of the enduro races I have looked at are not timed? It seems to me that it would truly show who is the best all around rider, but is there some other reason why they don't actually calculate total elapsed time?
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I am curious as to why the transfer stages on most of the enduro races I have looked at are not timed? It seems to me that it would truly show who is the best all around rider, but is there some other reason why they don't actually calculate total elapsed time?
    Because that's not what enduro racing is. Enduro is timed SEGMENTS. It would be a xc race if it was all timed. Also you dont race in mass down the segment. You have staggered individual starts which means you wait in line at the start. But the transfers in some series are timed in a sense you have to complete the transfer in a certain time in order to make your start time for the next timed segment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Southern Enduro Tour offered a Marathon/Enduro combo package at LOVIT last weekend. There was almost 5,000' in climbing between the 7 stages on the entire course so you would have to be some beast of a man to to do both and place high in the rankings. One of my teammates did both and he did well. I focused primarily on trying to smash the stages in the Enduro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Come down and do our Oskar Blues Enduro this year if you want to give timed transfers a go. Only 3 stages so good for getting a feel for how it may feel on a bigger raceday.

mtbr member
    So you want it to just be an XC race?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Are you meaning cut off times or timed like xc racing?
    I agree that there need to be more cut off times enforced. I think eventually the races that are taken as serious enduro races will have legit cut off times. They should try to be more EWS'ish with more climbing too. Some enduro's do a good job of this.
    If you do something often enough it tends to define you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by butryon View Post
    Are you meaning cut off times or timed like xc racing?
    I agree that there need to be more cut off times enforced. I think eventually the races that are taken as serious enduro races will have legit cut off times. They should try to be more EWS'ish with more climbing too. Some enduro's do a good job of this.
    A lot of enduro events don't enforce cut off times because they are grass roots or just want to help grow the sport. If you make a race too rigid it has the possibility to turn off new comers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    J1, I agree but Iím not sure how much Enduro is a beginner type of race. I donít think that using mid level sport class fitness is too high of fitness expectation for an Enduro racer. I think the sport is growing well and making cut off times around mid level fitness will attract the right people.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    J1, I agree but Iím not sure how much Enduro is a beginner type of race. I donít think that using mid level sport class fitness is too high of fitness expectation for an Enduro racer. I think the sport is growing well and making cut off times around mid level fitness will attract the right people.
    For higher classifications I can see it. For Cat 3 probably not. It lets people race and enjoy the day. It's motivated numerous people I know to better their fitness to do better. They're still probably going to be too shot by the latter stages to win but at least they get to finish. No, they should not get a trophy for participating. However, to grow the sport an entry level category has to exist.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I didn't mean beginner in the sense of new to mtb. Just to the race type in general. Like XC converts. Being in Central Texas we font have many choices within 6 hours to have real mountain runs. So we either have enduro that are a bit shorter and more mild or we travel real far to get to real mountains. I need to move.

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    It seems to me that it would truly show who is the best all around rider
    No, because a skilled descender can gain seconds in the descents but lose minutes in the climbs. In other words, a significant imbalance between the rewards of being skilled vs the rewards of being fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Climbs are already sort of timed anyway. Liasons can be generous at some events, but sometimes they're fairly tight and you've really got to push to make the stage start times.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I raced my first enduro this weekend. You could have literally walked your bike on every transfer and not run out of time. Transfers should not be timed, but there should be a time limit. It would make the timed stages more challenging if there was some sense of urgency during transfers. Because the transfers were mostly on sweet singletrack, I enjoyed a casual pedal.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Cut off times for transfer sections is how it's done in the big show.

The higher classes should definitely have it. The fitter riders already have the advantage of having an easier time getting up (and all the time in the world to do it), and having more energy for the stages.

If you don't want to pedal, consider DH racing.