Switching from XC to Enduro in the Northeast/Midatlantic- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Switching from XC to Enduro in the Northeast/Midatlantic

Going to be racing enduro starting 2015. I am based out of NJ and ride Allamuchy alot. What are your guys thoughts on the best early season races to check out between VA and NY?

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    i think if you get comfortable with allamuchy, most other trails should not be a problem. check out ridereg.com, i think they list most of the races that are available

*bikereg.com sorry, not ridereg
    Last edited by trekninja; 12-04-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    first you get good, than you get fast

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Loose the spandex race kit too. You are going to want 2 layers of protection like .....................................always.
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I"m basing all this on 2014 races. No idea what 2015 has in store.

Last year there was the Eastern States Cup races at Blue, Plattekill, Killington and Attitash. Also the East Coast Enduro Triple Crown included Mountain Creek, Highland and Kingdom Trails.

The suggestion to check bikereg was smart.

As for making the switch, if you're comfortable bombing Allamuchy descents you'll be fine. I do suggest you hit a few bike parks a few times if you haven't already. its good to get used to sustained descending which taxes a whole new set of muscles and bike parts. Also gives you a chance to shake out any components that won't be up to snuff on race day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks. Yeah I have been checking bikereg almost daily to see if the 2015 race schedules are up yet. I think I will try to do as many of the eastern states and triple crown races as possible. I can already bomb pretty much anything at allamuchy on my 130mm bike, but will be racing on a 2015 Knolly Warden X01 build. So freaking stoked for it to arrive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    ESC schedule will be announced in mid feb 2015. Plenty of enduro races on the east coast. The overmountain series is more tame XC focused than the ESC. ESC is more fun, more organized and more laid back but more DH focused. Best big mountain enduro on the east coast is killington part of the ESC series. Enduro is different then XC need more all out speed for shorter bursts. XC is paced racing. Once you go enduro your never going back. Have fun!!

mtbr member
    The Mid-Atlantic Super Series will be doing an enduro series this year.
    There is some info/dates on the website, but I spoke to the series organizer, and the plan is to do even more.

I quit e-MTBR
    Harlan Price and Matt Miller both came from XC backgrounds to dominate mid-Atlantic enduro.

The best place to track races in the region is the East Coast Enduro 2015 race calendar. Also indispensable is the East Coast Super D facebook page.

FWIW, I did an early-season super D at Tuscarora a year or two ago and thought it basically sucked. But then so did I, so YMMV.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    The Mid-Atlantic Super Series will be doing an enduro series this year.
    There is some info/dates on the website, but I spoke to the series organizer, and the plan is to do even more.
    Great news. This might get me to register for an event.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    Harlan Price and Matt Miller both came from XC backgrounds to dominate mid-Atlantic enduro.

The best place to track races in the region is the East Coast Enduro 2015 race calendar. Also indispensable is the East Coast Super D facebook page.

FWIW, I did an early-season super D at Tuscarora a year or two ago and thought it basically sucked. But then so did I, so YMMV.
    I was thinking of doing the early superD in march. This would be my first attempt. What did you not like?
    17' Riot
    12' Horsethief
    96' Killer v

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by sdm74 View Post
    I was thinking of doing the early superD in march. This would be my first attempt. What did you not like?
    Steep is fun, but for me steep and icy was not fun. Someone should have shot a video of me racing that day, it would be hilarious. As I said, YMMV.

Also it's just a super D, so if you're not local it may be a lot of time in the car for not much time on the clock.