Southern Enduro tour at Dinosaur state park- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    195

    Southern Enduro tour at Dinosaur state park

    Has anybody ridden it? I think I am just going to do the pre ride and not the actual race. I have not raced in 12 years now, Looks like with work schedule I will only make Dino and maybe the Rockwell race.

    How long is the total race? Looks like its 12 stages and then how much between stages? Early March can be a crap shoot on weather, can be perfect, could be miserable.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,313
    I have ridden there, but not yet raced ...planning to this year. There are some videos on YouTube of the course from prior years.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    195
    I've watched a bunch of the previous videos. I'm going to ride there today and Sunday. I am kinda leaning to just to the pre ride and not the race. I'm trying to figure out how much gear to carry, how long the day will be to figure food....

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    195
    I might make rock springs also. We will see how Dino goes!

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerfreese View Post
    I might make rock springs also. We will see how Dino goes!

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    You M U S T do Camp Eagle. They have many new lines and the Nueces River.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    195
    I'm doing to try to, I'm planning on it now. Let's see how Dino goes, I rode like crap today. On the good side I made some suspension adjustments and it's better now. High speed small bumps were harsh as hell. I really wish my bike had the remote on the suspension.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    47
    I raced in 2016 and 2018. My 2018 strava logged 22.37mi and 2,592 elevation over the course of the race. Moving time: 3:30.

    Let me know how I can help.

    -AZ

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,313
    I rode Dinosaur Valley this weekend. I wound up doing 27 miles but based on a map I saw of last year's event, I would put the mileage at under 22. It's only a one day race, so maybe 6 to 8 stages? Nice and rocky, natural terrain ...not bike park style at all.

    And because I said something similar about Camp Eagle ... you must do the Dinosaur Valley race because they have the Paluxy? River!!!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    195
    Cool! I am looking forward to it! I ride out there regularly. Gonna go ride out there tomorrow after work. Good thing this is an Enduro race, at 20+ miles. I am getting in better shape still not where I want to be. I am going to try to make Camp Eagle, but I am not sure if I will be able to.
    So being possibly 20+ miles full 3L of water?, I am planning on having my backpack with basic toolkit, food, water, tube, pump, and booboo kit.

    How long are the stages? I saw the times and I was guestimating that they were 1/4 mile ish maybe? I thought it said the trail map and more info would be out in the next couple days. I wanted to know if there going to pre ride only saturday or friday and saturday. I have been riding 7-10 miles out there in a 1 to 1:45 Seems like I have not had a day to ride longer out there in a while.

    I just want to try and be somewhat prepared.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerfreese View Post
    Cool! I am looking forward to it! I ride out there regularly. Gonna go ride out there tomorrow after work. Good thing this is an Enduro race, at 20+ miles. I am getting in better shape still not where I want to be. I am going to try to make Camp Eagle, but I am not sure if I will be able to.
    So being possibly 20+ miles full 3L of water?, I am planning on having my backpack with basic toolkit, food, water, tube, pump, and booboo kit.

    How long are the stages? I saw the times and I was guestimating that they were 1/4 mile ish maybe? I thought it said the trail map and more info would be out in the next couple days. I wanted to know if there going to pre ride only saturday or friday and saturday. I have been riding 7-10 miles out there in a 1 to 1:45 Seems like I have not had a day to ride longer out there in a while.

    I just want to try and be somewhat prepared.
    If I remember correctly, the stages were 1/4mi to 1/2mi. If you haven't already, you should browse youtube for POV race runs. I just checked, and the majority of stages are there from last year posted by Cooper Sellers.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by zzzogas413 View Post
    If I remember correctly, the stages were 1/4mi to 1/2mi. If you haven't already, you should browse youtube for POV race runs. I just checked, and the majority of stages are there from last year posted by Cooper Sellers.
    Cool thanks!

    I have watched the Cooper videos and some other guys of the runs there and the Zombie Goat race. (my kids really want to go ride down there now!). Nothing looks overly scary or sketchy. I think I have ridden everything out there that was on the videos with the exception of the spot that people have talked about dropping down from the outlook.

    I sure work with some whiney XC riders there crying about how bad were going to destroy the trails out there this weekend.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerfreese View Post

    I sure work with some whiney XC riders there crying about how bad were going to destroy the trails out there this weekend.
    Lol this race has been going since 2016 and the trails are holding up fine. I've done the Fossil 50 XC marathon as well. I wish I could make it this year but I'm already committed to a different schedule. I'll be at the TMBRA XC race though!

    Honestly, there is nothing crazy technical where you scratch your head thinking "how do I ride this?" and I'm sure you know that there's b-lines around those sections. Most of the stages are short enough where you can leave your bike and go walk the whole thing to take a look at the "scary" bits. They'll be plenty of time to do that while you're waiting your turn to drop in.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    195
    Yeah I thought this was the 4th or 5th year of this race.
    I have seen a bunch of the B lines, so far from the videos, I have ridden some of the A lines anyway. The one stairstep drop on the cedar brake by the outlook, above where you come up off the river I have not gone down. I would do it if I was riding with others and made sure there wasnt someone coming up the trail. As this is the first race in a long time, im planning on going out and just having fun and finish. Work schedule next year should allow me to do the whole tour where this year it wasnt gonna happen. Mother nature can hammer the trails in a couple hours of rain more than any riders ever can. I remember after the year we had all the flooding and the river was up so high you couldnt get across it for months the trails were hammered after that. Really I think the trails get better after a bunch of riders have been on them. I wish I could get a handful of riders on my 3/4 mile trail/track at the house and get it ridden in well. Does not happen as quick with me and two kids!

    Thanks again for the info!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerfreese View Post
    The one stairstep drop on the cedar brake by the outlook, above where you come up off the river I have not gone down. I would do it if I was riding with others and made sure there wasnt someone coming up the trail.
    The one on the final stage if I remember correctly. There will be spectators lined up for that one to build confidence. Once you take that left turn you have time to set up your line then it's just letting go of the brakes and rolling off. The transition is a lot smoother than it looks. If you can manage some of the other A-lines, then you got it!

    -AZ

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    195
    I rode 4 of the stages today, going to be 5 stages run twice. Total about 16 miles. I was slow today, but no crashes. Had hell clipping in my Crank Bros Mallet E's I don't think I cleaned them well enough after the mud fest from the previous weekend. Actually the first A/B split I think the A line was easier, it was down some stairs step rocks and then a left off camber turn.

    Stages are tough but nothing that was like F this....

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,313
    By the end of the weekend, the trails were running super fast as the smaller looser rocks were pushed aside by one rider after the other. If you weren't able to race, you should at least get out there a get some PRs because those trails are likely in the best shape they have ever been in for pure speed.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    those trails are likely in the best shape they have ever been in for pure speed.
    Heck yah! For real, this is MO every time there is a local race near by. Also, when I race, I make sure I'm one of the last riders down each stage waiting for those tracks to get packed in. Every second counts!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    195
    Other than a few corners getting turned into moon dust the trails were so much faster by the end of the weekend it was awesome. I had a ton of fun at the race. I'm not going to go to Camp Eagle this year, but I'm shooting to go to the next Arkansas race. Work is going to keep me from going to the Texas Enduro race at Spyder. Work schedule I'll be clear for next year so my goal is to train hard the rest of the year and hammer the whole series next year now.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerfreese View Post
    Other than a few corners getting turned into moon dust the trails were so much faster by the end of the weekend it was awesome. I had a ton of fun at the race. I'm not going to go to Camp Eagle this year, but I'm shooting to go to the next Arkansas race. Work is going to keep me from going to the Texas Enduro race at Spyder. Work schedule I'll be clear for next year so my goal is to train hard the rest of the year and hammer the whole series next year now.
    Passion Play is going to be awesome!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfly View Post
    Passion Play is going to be awesome!
    I'm going to try like hell to make that one. The group I rode with said that it isn't as technical as Dino, not as much climbing but transitions are probably going to be longer. What do you think? Dino kicked my ass fitness wise, I just didn't have the brute sprint strength, and my endurance was suffering especially after only 3 hours of sleep.... I'm hammering the gym hard and riding at as much as I can, even if it's just sprints around the neighborhood. What's the recommended tire for up there? I run Minion DHF/DHR and or Dissectors around here. My plan right now is to hit Passion play, train hard the rest of the year and be ready for next season.
    I'm now monitoring my 2 minute sprint times, hopefully I'll have my trail at the house buttoned up before the next round of rain. It will be almost a mile of fun at the house.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerfreese View Post
    I'm going to try like hell to make that one. The group I rode with said that it isn't as technical as Dino, not as much climbing but transitions are probably going to be longer. What do you think? Dino kicked my ass fitness wise, I just didn't have the brute sprint strength, and my endurance was suffering especially after only 3 hours of sleep.... I'm hammering the gym hard and riding at as much as I can, even if it's just sprints around the neighborhood. What's the recommended tire for up there? I run Minion DHF/DHR and or Dissectors around here. My plan right now is to hit Passion play, train hard the rest of the year and be ready for next season.
    I'm now monitoring my 2 minute sprint times, hopefully I'll have my trail at the house buttoned up before the next round of rain. It will be almost a mile of fun at the house.
    Most of my son's enduro team is running either EXO or DD casing (they're Maxxis sponsored). Mixture of minions, assegai, and aggressor.

    I've never ridden at Dino, but Passion Play has plenty of tech. I don't really know what the course will be. I imagine it will be a mixture of flow, tech, and handcut steep jank.

    There are quite a few videos out there of people riding Passion Play. It's a rad place with killer trails.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    195
    Ok thanks! I'll have Minions and Dissectors with me. So far I think the Dissectors are faster rolling Assegai with a significant majority of the traction still.

    Dino is Limestone, lots of loose limestone over hard, chalky soil that turns to moon dust, yellow calichi clay, brown silty clay that is hard and fast when packed and dry.

    I'll hunt down some videos and watch them. Is there an RV park close by, or I wonder if there going to have RV spots at the venue (we can dry camp)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-01-2020, 12:00 AM
  2. Dinosaur Valley State Park anyone?
    By 2obscura in forum Texas
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 01-28-2017, 07:39 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-06-2016, 06:03 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2015, 01:19 AM
  5. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-16-2014, 01:48 PM

Members who have read this thread: 55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.