Single best upgrade/mod for shaving some seconds- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Single best upgrade/mod for shaving some seconds

Just thought I'd start a friendly thread here,

What would you consider the biggest single upgrade OR mod (ie steeper saddle angle, slammed stem or spacers) to any stock enduro race rig, with the purpose of shaving off those few seconds where your bike is holding you back.

I would start off obviously with what rubber you are running. Followed closely by a firmer suspension setup so you aren't pumping the uphills/flats and losing a lot in suspension. Thats Just me though. What pro tips can you throw out there?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For me it's mainly: tires pressure and not f*cking around with the dropper.
    As for the mods: Suspension psi, stack height and tires choices, it's all having the right setup for the stages.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Suspension overhaul every 30hrs of riding. IMHO opinion it is the single biggest change you can make to your bike.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    coaching. Bang/buck in terms of speed, nothing equipment related will ever come close.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    coaching. Bang/buck in terms of speed, nothing equipment related will ever come close.
    Agree totally.

Sounds crazy I know but really good brakes and knowing how to use them properly took huge bites out of my times. I banged on some xtr 9020's and got some coaching on proper braking, particularly using the front end A LOT more and my times got heaps better.

mtbr member
    I would agree with Joules with coaching, but that isn't a mod. So, I'll say power meter. For me this fixes the issues with heart rate training and definitely fixes my personal issues with perceived effort.

It vastly improved my training.
    It is difficult for some people to use the two words "too" and "to" appropriately.

"I had to go where I went, to get where I am. Any other path would have taken me elsewhere, and I may have missed the joy."

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Fitness.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    Fitness.
    This.

Unless you're Pro DH racer skilled and Pro XC racer fit, you have much to work on.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    This.

Unless you're Pro DH racer skilled and Pro XC racer fit, you have much to work on.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Not everyone has the time for that.

Aside from fitness and skill work, paying attention to details on everything. Tire wear, tire pressure, suspension setup (4-way adjustable shock is almost a given here), fit, body position...everything, if something bugged you once while riding, figure out what it was and fix it. The fewer distractions you have, the better you'll ride.

I'm with stupid
    getting your suspension tunes right. makes a world of difference. Also picking the right tire for the course.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Not everyone has the time for that.

Aside from fitness and skill work, paying attention to details on everything. Tire wear, tire pressure, suspension setup (4-way adjustable shock is almost a given here), fit, body position...everything, if something bugged you once while riding, figure out what it was and fix it. The fewer distractions you have, the better you'll ride.
    If you don't have time for fitness, you don't have time to race. All the fancy bike bits in the world won't help if you can't pedal or hold on to the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    If you don't have time for fitness, you don't have time to race. All the fancy bike bits in the world won't help if you can't pedal or hold on to the bike.
    Amen. Not having time is a horrible excuse...
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by EsPeGe View Post
    Agree totally.

Sounds crazy I know but really good brakes and knowing how to use them properly took huge bites out of my times. I banged on some xtr 9020's and got some coaching on proper braking, particularly using the front end A LOT more and my times got heaps better.

Care to elaborate on the braking technique you picked up? I feel like braking/cornering is probably where I am losing seconds right now, any tips would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Suspension overhaul every 30hrs of riding. IMHO opinion it is the single biggest change you can make to your bike.
    you talking full seals, rebuild, everything? Or just oil change/reset air pressure, etc. Seals every 30 hours would break the bank for me!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by normarin View Post
    Care to elaborate on the braking technique you picked up? I feel like braking/cornering is probably where I am losing seconds right now, any tips would be appreciated!
    For me I would hit corners way to hot and end up turning them into a series of straight lines instead of a nice sweeping arc. My instructor picked this up within 3 corners and stopped me. From there on he had me using my front brake more aggressively and like a motorbike getting my braking done early, before the corner not IN the corner. I would frequently come to a stop or near enough to in the middle of corners because I would skid in using my back brake only.

When I started doing what he said I found I could get the right line INTO the corner which then set me up through and out of the corner keeping momentum.

And of course a decent set of well tuned brakes makes all this easier.....

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I will probably get killed for this, but a gps and a Strava account. Being able to benchmark against yourself on trails you know, and being able to repeat and work on different things to get faster, is an eye opener. This makes you learn about pedaling every single place you can to gain speed. Pedaling is how bike races are won, whether on the road or on a trail. Learning how to pedal as much as possible is the key, I think. Also, being able to follow real pros and see how much riding and what type of riding they are doing is inspiring! And lastly, when you think you are fast, and then you see you are way way down the list on a segment is humbling and makes you work harder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    I will probably get killed for this, but a gps and a Strava account. Being able to benchmark against yourself on trails you know, and being able to repeat and work on different things to get faster, is an eye opener. This makes you learn about pedaling every single place you can to gain speed. Pedaling is how bike races are won, whether on the road or on a trail. Learning how to pedal as much as possible is the key, I think. Also, being able to follow real pros and see how much riding and what type of riding they are doing is inspiring! And lastly, when you think you are fast, and then you see you are way way down the list on a segment is humbling and makes you work harder.
    agreed. Surprisingly I've been faster on certain trails when not all out pedaling and just focusing on being smooth. I think this has to do with conditioning though and losing some fine motor control (and taking shit lines) with an elevated heart rate. I need to do a little more experimenting as I get back into riding shape.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by EsPeGe View Post
    For me I would hit corners way to hot and end up turning them into a series of straight lines instead of a nice sweeping arc. My instructor picked this up within 3 corners and stopped me. From there on he had me using my front brake more aggressively and like a motorbike getting my braking done early, before the corner not IN the corner. I would frequently come to a stop or near enough to in the middle of corners because I would skid in using my back brake only.

When I started doing what he said I found I could get the right line INTO the corner which then set me up through and out of the corner keeping momentum.

And of course a decent set of well tuned brakes makes all this easier.....

Hope this helps.
    Sweet thanks, ive noticed when I slow down and smooth things out I end up being faster.. Now just gotta incorporate that all the time instead of some of the time. Thanks for the post!

Live Free & Ride
    All good and valid points above. Enduro riding has alot to do with pedalling, therefore the volume of training has to be on the top of your mind....again, fitness and conditioning will help the most!

Get yourself on a program and follow it religiously for 16-18 weeks, no excuse. I need to remind myself of this and stick to the plan. Not every plan will work for everyone, so adjust it to your schedule and amount of time you have to make it work. Its going to require sacrifice and hard work. All of the right setups on your bike are just a given, so figure that out quickly and adjust as you go. Fitness and training are even more important to stay consistent and perform at a higher level. Find a coach or follow a plan that fits into your lifestyle, even if you're not a pro!

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/dan-at...-training-tips
    17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The best upgrade for making me a better and faster rider has been a rigid SS 29er. I'm choosing smoother lines and can turn a higher gear up and down the hill.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by normarin View Post
    Think of your brakes as different entities: Front brake will slow/stop you, rear brake will keep you from speeding up. Best technique for braking and cornering I have heard was 1) Use both brakes as you come into a corner, 2) release your front brake upon entering the corner, 3) release your rear brake as you are in the apex of the corner.

Once you get the hang of it, its a smooth 1,2,3 action. You will find yourself braking much later and holding your brakes much less. (another pro-tip... bring your reach as close as you can into your bars so that, even if you accidentally touch your brakes, you are not really pulling your brakes).
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.