Remedy 29 or Troy C?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Remedy 29 or Troy C?

Ish. I'm heading into my first season of enduro racing, and need to decide on a bike. I've got two great deals waiting on me from friends, so I have to choose, either a 2015 carbon Troy, or a 2015 Remedy 29. Both are setup with similar components; of course, Troy is 27.5. Racing WV and some Eastern States races.

I've weighed the pros/cons of both bikes, wheel sizes, race courses, my experience, etc., and still can't decide. Now I'm just looking for some completely biased and subjective views from you guys to help me out, so please fire away.

I'm with stupid
    I have not ridden a troy, I did ride a remedy 29er. I really liked the remedy, if I did not already buy a canfield riot the remedy would be in my top 3 29ers to race with. Not sure how punchy and up and down the courses out there are but the 29er can feel a bit slow and heavy in those situations. The 27.5 is better at the more stop and start courses. However if you get a chance to get the big wheels rolling and can keep them rolling, the 29ers will haul ass. I have one of each wheel size and it sure does making picking the right tool for the job that much harder. I would suggest going for the one you feel most comfortable on because speed always starts with comfort and confidence.

mtbr member
    I ride a 2016 remedy 9.8 29er and I really enjoy it I have been able to keep up with almost anyone I have ridden with, I have taken it on moderate downhill courses and it has done really well. I have not ridden the troy but I'm sure its a good bike. Overall I would say get the remedy but not having ridden the troy my opinion could be bias. Good luck

Robertson
    My vote would be the Remedy, it has been raced to great success under multiple pros in the EWS, all of whom prefer it over the longer travel, 650B Slash. What rear shock does it have?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Ive got a 9.8 and its a fantastic bike. Maybe one day I'll give it a race and see how it goes, for now I have to get used to the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the feedback folks. Unfortunately (maybe), the Remedy's the alu version, so just a bit heavier than the carbon; however, the frame & shock of the Troy is not much lighter than the alu Remedy. I'll put a RS Monarch Debonair RT3 on it; i hear the Reaktiv is great, but I'll stick with the Monarch for now.

Yeah, most of the courses are typical east coast mountains, rocky & rooty, but not too twisty. I think the Remedy will rollover and carry speed well, plus it'll make long days easier. The only thing that makes this really tough is wanting the smaller wheels for shorter fun days when I can play and boost off everything.

May contain nuts
    Buddy has a new Remedy 29. He's way faster than he was on his previous 27.5 rigs, even on proper dh courses. It's an impressively well sorted ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Interesting dilemma -- and a good one to have, deciding between two awesome bikes. I am in a similar situation, but I'm going with a YT Capra for racing because I don't want to feel undergunned on burly DH trails that our enduro races use. I suppose the Remedy would *be able* to handle them, but I'm sure the YT will. As for pedalling up, and general long days in the saddle, the Remedy would probably be the most comfortable choice -- and that's part of enduro racing too, maintaining energy to tear the descents.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've raced multiple BME races in CO and Monarch Crest Enduro on an alloy remedy 29 and now a carbon remedy 29. Love it. I have a monarch rt3 and a reaktiv shock, I switch back and forth depending on my mood and tinkering with tunes.