racing with flats- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

racing with flats

I have transitioned from clipless to flat pedal for 2 months now. I'm still getting used to the flats but I'm liking it than clipless because I am faster in corners & climbs. Also 5 10 shoes are very comfy for my wide feet.

Any tips on how to sprint on rough section of trail without loosing grip on the pedals. anyway I'm using a dmr vault.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I've never ridden clipless, but I ride/race in flats.

You could try backing the pins out slightly, raising them up to grab your shoes better. What 5 10's are you wearing? different models grip better than others.
    Also, are you pulling up with your feet on your upstroke? If you are, try to avoid that (I could be wrong, so if I am, please feel free to correct me).
    Keep your weight on your feet, and you should have plenty of grip.

best of luck!

Robertson
    I ride both flats and clipless, spend probably 80% of my time on flats. That being said, I always race clipped in, I can just charge harder clipped in without worrying about slipping a pedal. Especially helpful on the last stage of a 25+ mile day...

mtbr member
    Never had a problem pedaling hard in flats. The jump stage in clipless scares the shit out of me though. Almost went OTB on a big 30' table and have been in flats ever since.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bross_48 View Post
    I've never ridden clipless, but I ride/race in flats.

You could try backing the pins out slightly, raising them up to grab your shoes better. What 5 10's are you wearing? different models grip better than others.
    Also, are you pulling up with your feet on your upstroke? If you are, try to avoid that (I could be wrong, so if I am, please feel free to correct me).
    Keep your weight on your feet, and you should have plenty of grip.

best of luck!
    the pins are already on maximum height. I'm currently using the five ten impact xVi. Which five ten has the grippest shoes?

I only push down. I never pull up with the pedal.

Has anyone used a burgtec penthouse mkIV pedals is it more grippier than vault?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    More time on flats is all you need. I made the switch a few years ago and the first few months were rough on the shins. Now it's completely a non-issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sam hill came in 4th overall this weekend on flats and Aluminum!!!! 👍👍👍

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This "sprinting on rough" ...dual or hardtail, seated,or standing? Get your foot forward so that the pedal is closer to midsole ...a place you could stand all day ...and do just that ...stand more ... sit and spin less.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sdm74 View Post
    I'm going to wager that none of us, including the OP, are at Sam Hill's level.

Anyways OP, what you describe is exactly why I went to clipless. Putting power down at any moment, including in rough terrain. You simply can't do it as well or as safely in flats. Your best bet is to focus on exploiting the advantages of flats instead of trying to minimize the disadvantages.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by legitposter View Post

Anyways OP, what you describe is exactly why I went to clipless. Putting power down at any moment, including in rough terrain. You simply can't do it as well or as safely in flats. Your best bet is to focus on exploiting the advantages of flats instead of trying to minimize the disadvantages.
    While true that it is unlikely that anyone on this thread has the skill of Sam, Nino S. used to post here a lot so it is not always true that all posters are just a bunch of hacks.

I do believe it is actually possible to put down more power with more safety in flats. If you look at street-style and trials riders they usually wear flats specifically for the safety and put down some serious power moves. Even if you discount trialsmpower moves as not applicable, they do have to power up for jumps etc. on single speeds.

I have substantial time on both and think the way that one attaches to the pedal is actually less important then where you attach. Clipless pedals tend to put you closer to the balls of your feet. Flats, you get to pick your spot but it will naturally be more midsole. I personally find midsole,to be much more powerful when standing. It's a wash when sitting ..more or less

mtbr member
    i swap from clips to flats often.... the flats are NC-17 Sudpin III's shoes are Shimano(ho hum) and i find in the rough pedally sections i tend to stand and pedal more than on clips as it keeps more weight on my feet.

i find Climbing still easier with clips but everything else i want my flats

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sdm74 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by legitposter View Post

Not sure how you got that out of my statement???
    My point was, it is possible to race competitively, as you'll see this year, on flats, and on top of that an aluminum bike.
    With proper form you can do anything on flats you can clipped in. Except pedal through the air, but I don't see how that really helps. And pedaling through chunk rock,while going fast is not always the quickest way either. Form over function.
    I found when I ride clipped, I feel more separated​ from the bike, rather then closer.
    But I also ride to have a good time, not to make a living from it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I spent years on flats which was really good for mastering control on a bike but switched to clips last season. Clips definitely allow you to "cheat" the same type of movement that would be required on flats. The float that clips have allow you to get into difficult body positions easier. I also file down the cleat so I can take my foot out with ease. The control in rough terrain is significantly improved with clips. I am faster in clips.

mtbr member
    Ride the rough sections 1 to 2 gears harder than you normally would. It will be much easier to keep the pedals weighted.

I used to ride and race rigid singlespeeds on flats, and found running a harder gear was the key to being able to keep pedaling on rough courses.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    This is true. Pedal kickback will always be less in a harder gear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I love my flat pedals. I run 5/10 shoes with Chromag prdals. They are awesome. I've run clipless since the ninties on MTB and BMX. I'm sure you get a % more power or efficiency, but it is not enough for me to use them anymore. If you like them, run them.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    For XC racing clips are the way to go 99% of the time.
    For enduro run what you like the best.
    If your pins are out as far as they will go and still not long enough, then get longer pins.
    Both your pedal and shoes are top notch so probably not the problem.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    i can only ride flats. i tend to ride with a foot out style so it just suits me. i have never felt disadvantaged anywhere cause i have them, i actually feel like i have an advantage with them
    first you get good, than you get fast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    For XC racing clips are the way to go 99% of the time.
    For enduro run what you like the best.
    If your pins are out as far as they will go and still not long enough, then get longer pins.
    Both your pedal and shoes are top notch so probably not the problem.
    I prefer flats for xc racing, more fun. Also flats on my cross bike.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    Any tips on how to sprint on rough section of trail without loosing grip on the pedals. anyway I'm using a dmr vault.
    Most people have a tendency to move forward in the cockpit and shift weight onto the bar when sprinting. That will unweight the rear wheel making you front-heavy, and with less weight on your feet, you're more likely to slip a pedal.

Focus on the "heavy feet, light hands," and keep your hips back. Stay in that athletic attack position.