Racing Enduro for the first time - what to Buy/Borrow/Skip?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Racing Enduro for the first time - what to Buy/Borrow/Skip?

My local weeknight-xc-series has changed one of their events this summer to be a "Mini-Enduro", and I'm tentatively dipping my toe in to unfamiliar waters.

Unfortunately, as a mid-pack Sport XC racer, I'm feeling woefully underprepared on the equipment front - my "big" bike is a 100mm FS 29er, my riding clothes could pass for a superhero outfit, etc.

So, in order to:
    1. Not hurt myself
    2. Have fun
    3. Not spend a fortune

What gear should I buy?
    What should I rent/beg/borrow?
    What can I forgo?

Here's what I'm thinking...
    * Rent/demo a bike.
    * Maybe buy some cheap knee and/or elbow pads?
    * Wear some baggies over top of bibs, make do with the usual helmet, shades, backpack etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Where are you racing?

mtbr member
    if you sign up for begineer class you probably get a much easier course that a 100mm bike will be ableto handle easily, pads are a good thing to have anyways you might wanna buy those, other than that who cares, use what you have and have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    if you sign up for begineer class you probably get a much easier course that a 100mm bike will be ableto handle easily, pads are a good thing to have anyways you might wanna buy those, other than that who cares, use what you have and have fun!
    Not necessarily. With our local enduro series The Pro's all the way down to 12 year olds ride the same course. The less skilled riders go much slower and can at times pick less challenging lines but everything else is the same (runs climbing etc...).

The OP any info on the course? My first thought would be wider / more aggressive tires and lower your seat (QR or cheap dropper).

I like mtn biking, too

Racing Enduro for the first time - what to Buy/Borrow/Skip?

Run whatchya brung and have fun! Check the rules for your race. Some require full face and some padding, others do not. But yeah, knee pads at least are essential.

A dropper is optional, because you have plenty of time between climbs and descents to self adjust your post. But... There could be a pedally section.

Knee pads are better with the overhang of baggies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    I would like to echo the "run whatchya brung" idea. Get some kneepads at minimum, possibly a full-face if required. Race your 4-inch bike and see what you think. Renting or demoing a bigger bike could be fun if you want to spend the money on trying one out, but not completely necessary. You probably won't be the only one an an XC bike. I've seen all sorts of bikes at enduro races from hardtails to XC bikes to full-on DH bikes.

Most of all, don't worry too much about what you are wearing or riding. It's all about having fun! Wear/ride what you are comfortable with!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Racing at Deer Valley in Park City, at the Silver Lake area.

Short of "2 stages, 1 transfer", and "q: Is this a XC course with timed decents or an enduro specific course? a: It will [be] a more technical descent, but manageable on a hardtail", they haven't shared any details.

If I had to guess, I wouldn't be surprised to see the new "Tidal Wave" trail as one of the stages - Riding the Wave - Mountain Biking Tidal Wave Trail at Deer Valley, Utah Video - Pinkbike - which seems definitely doable on a 4" bike. (And a bigger bike might just have me riding faster than my talent allows anyways...)

"Race the bike I've got, buy some pads" is sounding pretty good. May still check with some pals to see about borrowing a rig, but spending $60-100 on a bike for two stages does seem a little silly. (Now, if I could take the day off of work and ride the lift there all day beforehand... )

Alpinestars Paragon stuff likes to be well reviewed and at a very reasonable pricepoint, thoughts?

New addict
    Jun 2016
    ooh! Mini-Endure at Deer Valley? Info please

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kbat117 View Post
    ooh! Mini-Endure at Deer Valley? Info please
    Race 9 ? Mini Enduro at Deer Valley

Pretty sure they're sold out though!