Racing Carbon Wheels?- Mtbr.com
    I'm with stupid

Racing Carbon Wheels?

Anyone racing on carbon wheels? I have a set of carbon wheels that I ride on when riding trails. Not sure if I want to race them though, seems like all the big dogs ( EWS Pros) are not running carbon. I Imagine for the not breaking factor?

mtbr member
    I'm running carbon rovals right now and I don't think they will take the abuse, I've popped a handful of spokes on the rear already. Thinking about giving them to my wife and buying a set of carbon + wheels, in addition to alloy 29'ers to race on.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I have the heaviest layup that Light Bicycle makes for their 29er wheel, the wider one (cannot think of model). Been riding/racing on them for a year (on a spesh endure 29er for reference) and they are still solid. Had to true the rear wheel once but I have been absolutely abusing them on rocks and they have been impressing me big time!

Robertson
    I have similar LB wheels as above, previously ran Stans Flow EX in a heavy weight build. The carbon wheels have been much more durable, have trued the wheels once over a year of ownership (was truing every month or so with the Stans) and plenty of races. I have definitely a plow rider so not easy on my wheels and no issues

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    I'm running carbon rovals right now and I don't think they will take the abuse, I've popped a handful of spokes on the rear already. Thinking about giving them to my wife and buying a set of carbon + wheels, in addition to alloy 29'ers to race on.
    That's what I have also. I broke a rear wheel last year, so I am kinda gun shy on racing them. Curtis Keene races with them though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    I have similar LB wheels as above, previously ran Stans Flow EX in a heavy weight build. The carbon wheels have been much more durable, have trued the wheels once over a year of ownership (was truing every month or so with the Stans) and plenty of races. I have definitely a plow rider so not easy on my wheels and no issues
    Too funny, I was coming off the same exact FLOW EX's when I made the switch. Could not agree more, much more durability from the LB wheels but then again by opting for the heavy duty carbon lay up I knew I was not going for the lightest wheels around! Shred on!

mtbr member
    I compared the heavy duty LB carbon rims for racing this year and the Stans Flow MK3s, which I raced last year. The LB rims are only 15g lighter (stated, 29er) per rim lighter, so it was not worth the extra cost and risk of running carbon. I can't say enough good about the Flow MK3s. I've owned the Flow EXs as well and the MK3s are considerably better. I raced them all last season and have yet to dent one, and I usually dent a rim within a month or so; I'm very hard on wheels and tires. The Flow MK3s are lighter, stronger, more laterally stiff and more vertically compliant than the EXs.

Also, when it comes to tensioning and re-truing your wheels; that is really way more a function of the quality of the wheel build than it is the quality of the components. Many wheels are not built with the care that is required to build up a reliable wheelset that does not need regular truing and retensioning.

In my opinion, I'm a big fan of aluminum, especially when the weight is relatively similar. When an aluminum rim gets damaged, it's generally a dent that will still hold air and work properly for the remainder of the ride or race and can be fixed pretty well with a wrench. When a carbon rim is damaged, the strength is compromised at best, and at worst will no longer hold air and cannot be repaired but must be replaced (and they're more expensive).

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    I race and ride on my Enve wheels, but would consider using cheaper wheels if it was a sharp rockie track. I'm really only worried about getting a flat tire and hurting the rims. The wheels can take anything the trail dishes out.