Is a plus bike capable for amateur enduro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Is a plus bike capable for amateur enduro

Just bought a specialized stumpjumper plus bike. I want to race some enduro events this year. I really feel faster and comfortable on this bike. I haven't heard of anyone doing enduro races with plus bikes. Are they capable or are they still too new and haven't been put to the test yet?

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Depends on the course.

My Stache 29+ is ungodly fast on relatively smooth trails, as it gets rougher the limitations start coming out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    True, I don't think it will work out if there's a lot of mud either. I guess your right it depends on the course.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Definitely depends on the course but I also know two racers who improved their times pretty significantly going from 29 to 27.5+... then there's also 29+... See below on Walt's experiments, and this other thread---
    27.5+ is pretty awesome too.
    Braap ? real-world ?testing? (riding)

http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-29/wide-...-998579-2.html

I've been hackneyed researching this but the reality is that i have to try out both and figure it out for myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Good info there. I'm coming from a carbon enduro 26er. My 6fattie has been significantly faster everywhere(strava times) not just seat of the pants. I just hope it's tough enough to handle enduro courses. Time will tell. Like u said depends on the course.

Cactus Cuddler
    The only crazy sounding gear related suggestion I can make would be a digital pressure gauge - with the right pressure in the tires, it'll work great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I am waiting on my new Scott genius lt plus to arrive. It'll be used as my enduro/DH bike. The new maxis rekon and ikon tires have me excited as I've never had luck with schwalbe's.
    I think the extra volume can only help as long as the tires can hold up in the corners and roll fast. It's a bit of a gamble at this point but for me that's what Enduro has always been when it comes to tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Amateur = Run what ya brung!

Ride it and dont worry about it...ive seen people on all kinds of bikes. If you're worried about winning, you may find your preferences change.

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Yes, I've been kinda scared of riding behind some people based on what they are racing our local enduro on. Props to them, it's what they have and they are having as much fun as the next person on their unobtainium spec'd Bronsons.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffff View Post
    I am waiting on my new Scott genius lt plus to arrive. It'll be used as my enduro/DH bike. The new maxis rekon and ikon tires have me excited as I've never had luck with schwalbe's.
    I think the extra volume can only help as long as the tires can hold up in the corners and roll fast. It's a bit of a gamble at this point but for me that's what Enduro has always been when it comes to tires.
    I'd rather have dampened suspension than overly cushy, and therefore bouncy, tires when at racing speed on rough terrain.

I do like cruising around, and even riding quickly on my 29+, but when it comes down to riding fast, I'll stick with normal tires. Want to roll faster? Ride a 29'er.

Not to say that you can't do it, or that you shouldn't do it if that's the bike you own, but I don't think it's the optimal solution.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have a 2016 Scott spark 29'r for xc riding/racing. My previous enduro bike was a trance 27.5, and I just sold my 2012 demo 8ii. I could of easily gone with a regular genius lt but I am interested in what the bigger tires have to offer. I think judging the plus size tires on what has been available is quite unfair, the same as judging all 26" tires solely based a couple models would be unfair.
    I'll give it a fair chance.... Try some different tires, and at the end of the day/summer it doesn't work out as a "go fast" bike I'll go back to the regular 27.5 tired bike.

Robertson
    Really only limitation I could see is if it has thinner sidewalls to keep the weight down with the larger tires, then you'd be more prone to a flat which can be a race killer. Race I did back in October, guy was on a Specialized Stumpy 27.5+ (I refuse to use that stupid name they've given it) and got along fine. Very rock trails but no huge tech gnar, so take that FWIW

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    What about using the new "wide track" 2.5 minions if the plus tires don't work out?? They are designed to give a good profile and setup on wide rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Really only limitation I could see is if it has thinner sidewalls to keep the weight down with the larger tires, then you'd be more prone to a flat which can be a race killer.
    This is a point that few seem to mention. Tires are getting wider so hopefully the sidewalls are too. Though weight surely has to be a concern.
    Give the race a crack and report back to us!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Definitely, I have a Specialized Fuse and has become my go to bike overall, in comparison I also have a Mach 6 and a Trek Superfly Al 100. Even as a hardtail it very forgiving I put a Fox Factory 150mm on front and use it to compensate a tad for drops and other steep rocky knar. I am consistantly posting faster Strava times then other two bikes even on extreme DH sections.Traction is superb, climbs much better then Mach 6 and only a tad less so then Superfly. I plan to race a few Enduros with it Cat 1. I run a Duro Crux 3.25 up fron and WTB 3.0 Bridger rear, so far both holding up fine on East Coast rocky knar. Plus size will be a game changer for many riders and racers.