No more big name pros in BME/Scott Cup series?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

No more big name pros in BME/Scott Cup series?

With UCI partnering with the EWS is that the end for seeing names like Rude, Neer, Keene, and Graves in the pro ranks? UCI apparently has a rule where you are not allowed to race in non-UCI sanctioned events of the same type. I wonder what that means for Yeti sponsoring BME?

https://legacy.usacycling.org/clarif...-sanctions.htm

Am I understanding this correctly?
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Is this current though? That video they put out said a new rule book was being written alongside EWS. This was one of the more lame, micro-manage-y rules. Hope they do away with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroCO View Post
    Is this current though? That video they put out said a new rule book was being written alongside EWS. This was one of the more lame, micro-manage-y rules. Hope they do away with it.
    I believe as of now it is. I guess they could make an exception for enduro racing? I thought the reason enduro was created was to get away from some of the UCI/USAC B.S. Is the EWS selling out for the sake of anti-doping? Whoís going to be the first enduro guy to test positive?
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    I believe as of now it is. I guess they could make an exception for enduro racing? I thought the reason enduro was created was to get away from some of the UCI/USAC B.S. Is the EWS selling out for the sake of anti-doping? Whoís going to be the first enduro guy to test positive?
    Any idea why that rule exists? Seems kinda silly from my perspective but maybe I'm missing something here. Really hope they don't pave the courses like DH and everyone just races them because that's where the money and competition are.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Yay! JK.

Although for every "real" pro that attends I can assume I'll be back another spot, it is nice ride with those guys and it's better for the promoters.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development

Formerly of Kent
    You guys might want to look at the dates in the posted memorandum.

This rule has been in place for a long time, and no, USAC has never, ever enforced it for MTB or CX. USAC and UCI arenít fining Howard Grotts for all of the non-USAC endurance races he does, so I wouldnít expect them to start enforcing the rule with Enduro, of all things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Yay! JK.

Although for every "real" pro that attends I can assume I'll be back another spot, it is nice ride with those guys and it's better for the promoters.
    Might encourage more to enter Pro too... When the local fast guys are all competing for 10th I stick to expert
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    You guys might want to look at the dates in the posted memorandum.

This rule has been in place for a long time, and no, USAC has never, ever enforced it for MTB or CX. USAC and UCI arenít fining Howard Grotts for all of the non-USAC endurance races he does, so I wouldnít expect them to start enforcing the rule with Enduro, of all things.

I guess I didnít realize there was an expiration date, thanks.
    Denver, CO

Formerly of Kent
    I guess I didnít realize there was an expiration date, thanks.
    There isnít an expiration date, but itís literally never been enforced. Why would you think enforcement would start now, with BME of all things?

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I personally love seeing how fast those top world level pros are, but I could see the other side of them being frustrating to race against. However, they push you to grow and ride harder, help brands represent, and bring people in, so Iím all for it. Iíd love to compare times against Ravanel, Windon, or Moseley, etc. As long as that Randy guy doesnít get permission to race. Itís unfair how fast he is. Clearly a dope fiend 😆

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    There isnít an expiration date, but itís literally never been enforced. Why would you think enforcement would start now, with BME of all things?

Who chooses what rules are followed then and when and why is it a rule? I don't follow Road racing, CX or XC so I wouldn't know it was never enforced...

I would assume if it's a rule it's being followed. Not just with BME but with all the grassroots Enduro series- BME, Scott Cup, Revolution, etc. Based on all of them not meeting this requirement, "No licence holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental or world calendar or that has not been recognized by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI."

My only experience with USAC is being forced to choose between Cat 2 or Pro/Open at the one DH race a year I compete in because I'm not allowed to compete in Cat 1 without some bs about podium'ing 5 times in Cat 2 at an event that has XX amount of participants when there isn't even 5 USAC races a year (or even in two years) within 1000 miles of where I live. Last year I took 2nd in Cat 2 behind someone else in my same position when either of us would have won Cat 1... Makes a ton of sense.

I don't see this going well for EWS.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    I personally love seeing how fast those top world level pros are, but I could see the other side of them being frustrating to race against. However, they push you to grow and ride harder, help brands represent, and bring people in, so Iím all for it. Iíd love to compare times against Ravanel, Windon, or Moseley, etc. As long as that Randy guy doesnít get permission to race. Itís unfair how fast he is. Clearly a dope fiend 😆
    It's cool riding with them but for the ordinary person with a real job they're never going to compete with someone who rides a bike for a living and has the resources they do.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Who chooses what rules are followed then and when and why is it a rule? I don't follow Road racing, CX or XC so I wouldn't know it was never enforced...

I would assume if it's a rule it's being followed. Not just with BME but with all the grassroots Enduro series- BME, Scott Cup, Revolution, etc. Based on all of them not meeting this requirement, "No licence holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental or world calendar or that has not been recognized by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI."

My only experience with USAC is being forced to choose between Cat 2 or Pro/Open at the one DH race a year I compete in because I'm not allowed to compete in Cat 1 without some bs about podium'ing 5 times in Cat 2 at an event that has XX amount of participants when there isn't even 5 USAC races a year (or even in two years) within 1000 miles of where I live. Last year I took 2nd in Cat 2 behind someone else in my same position when either of us would have won Cat 1... Makes a ton of sense.

I don't see this going well for EWS.
    Wonder how this will shake up the Revolution Steamboat if it's a qualifier event again. I'm never gonna race EWS, so stop mucking up my local races, UCI.

mtbr member
    Wonder how this will shake up the Revolution Steamboat if it's a qualifier event again. I'm never gonna race EWS, so stop mucking up my local races, UCI.
    I'd like to race an EWS some day but not until I'm over 40
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'd like to race an EWS some day but not until I'm over 40
    I'd like to try a challenger race, or the one that's not quite EWS but you get to race the same course, but that'd mostly be for the location and experience.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It's cool riding with them but for the ordinary person with a real job they're never going to compete with someone who rides a bike for a living and has the resources they do.
    One of our local riders who has a full time job managed a couple of top 20 stage finishes at the Whistler EWS this year.

Someone who is capable of being a good Pro can be competitive working full time and racing as a privateer.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    One of our local riders who has a full time job managed a couple of top 20 stage finishes at the Whistler EWS this year.

Someone who is capable of being a good Pro can be competitive working full time and racing as a privateer.
    Racing for 10th like I said Super cool but your friend is an outlier for sure. Also, the difference between a top 20 stage finish and top 20 race result. I'm assuming he was a Whistler local? Hard to get in that much training working a 56 hour work week for me personally.
    Last edited by Streetdoctor; 11-18-2018 at 03:24 PM.
    Denver, CO

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Racing for 10th like I said Super cool but your friend is an outlier for sure. Also, the difference between a top 20 stage finish and top 20 race result. I'm assuming he was a Whistler local? Hard to get in that much training working a 56 hour work week for me personally.
    Actually he is not a Whistler local. His first time riding the stages was in training.

Too many people hide behind jobs and life. Someone who really wants it, finds away to put in the work to become fast. The guy I am referring to trained really hard through the winter, he would regularly head out after work for 3hr XC skis from 8pm to 11pm at -15C. That is wanting it.

I have been fortunate to work with several cyclist across a couple of disciplines who are now "Pro's". Every single one of them was world class while working full time.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    How did he do at the rest of the EWS rounds?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development

mtbr member
    I heard the whole series is about 100k investment...

I'd love to hear of anyone competing in the entire EWS series that works a full time job mainly because I want that much vacation time...
    Last edited by Streetdoctor; 11-19-2018 at 07:18 PM.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Adam Morse works full time and competed in all of the round of this years EWS series. morse.ah on Instagram, you might be able to get more tangible information from him.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I heard the whole series is about 100k investment...

I'd love to hear of anyone competing in the entire EWS series that works a full time job mainly because I want that much vacation time...
    I wouldn't say $100K. My GF and I did the EWS Whistler and including travel from Australia it probably cost $8K for the two of us. I imagine a savvy spender could get the whole series done for under $40K, especially given the EWS tries to schedule the events so there is minimal back-and-forwards between them.

$40K is still a huge cost for anyone though, especially "regular" folk with normal lives, families and bills.

My preference now is for the multi-day events. They cost a little more to enter, but the ride-time and quality for the amount of leave and travel cost required is much better.