Mammoth Nationals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mammoth Nationals

Don't know if anyone else attended, but they outdid themselves. Best courses I have ever run with a great mix of fitness and skill. There was no way a DH guy was going to do well on stages 2 and 3 and trying to ride a 120 travel bike for mortals would have been a huge disadvantage. The technical aspects of the trails were amazing. There were ride arounds for the super tech sections, but they were definitely a big disadvantage at probably 5 seconds per section. A lot of people came expecting it to be like their normal "Enduro" races and elected not to run after seeing the courses. It was also NOT bike park with a lot of jumps and berms. We ran the entire DH course top to bottom except for the middle rock section, Follow Me, etc.

Kamikaze games are coming up and I would expect similar courses for that as well. I have no association with Mammoth, but if you want to run some of the gnarliest courses in the US come out and have some fun. Should be a blast! A few pics from the Park, but these are NOT the race courses.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the race report! Looks like a proper enduro (which the KBG was too) and a good balance of fitness and downhill ability. Was there any climbing or was it all lift access?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I was up at mammoth a few weeks ago and had a blast. Just was really fun. Going back for a job this week and then planning on hitting the park again on my bike. Seriously considering trying out the kamikaze enduro.

How much pedaling or uphill was there for the race? Fitness play a huge roll? Still working on that 😀

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
    I was up at mammoth a few weeks ago and had a blast. Just was really fun. Going back for a job this week and then planning on hitting the park again on my bike. Seriously considering trying out the kamikaze enduro.

How much pedaling or uphill was there for the race? Fitness play a huge roll? Still working on that 😀
    Fitness is a part of the courses for sure. So much fun stuff though it is worth every bit of pedalling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    SP, how did this course compare to the kamikaze enduro last year? Haven't been able to find a map or strava of 2014.

Still on the fence about doing this years after riding there this weekend. I feel comfortable on pretty much everything , but have yet to hit most of the "pro lines" due to riding solo and not wanting to push too hard. Not sure if I will make it back before this years event for any scouting of lines.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great race and fun course SP. Now I'm looking into the Kamikaze Bike Games Enduro in September. Hopefully they'll do some of the same stuff.
    Did you happen to Strava the route from the Mammoth Nationals? If I don't get there to race, it would be fun to duplicate that course to hit the fun stuff.

Edit: I think I found a couple of the stages.

Stage 2 USA Cycling Nationals at Mammoth

Stage 4 USA Cycling Nationals at Mammoth
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Sounds like a great race and fun course SP. Now I'm looking into the Kamikaze Bike Games Enduro in September. Hopefully they'll do some of the same stuff.
    Did you happen to Strava the route from the Mammoth Nationals? If I don't get there to race, it would be fun to duplicate that course to hit the fun stuff.

Edit: I think I found a couple of the stages.

Stage 2 USA Cycling Nationals at Mammoth

Stage 4 USA Cycling Nationals at Mammoth
    Here is my Strava profile from Sunday's race.

https://www.strava.com/activities/349667195/

Here is Stage 1

https://www.strava.com/segments/4918138?filter=overall

Stage 2

https://www.strava.com/segments/10005597?filter=overall

Stage 3

https://www.strava.com/segments/8212172?filter=overall

Stage 4

https://www.strava.com/segments/10005564?filter=overall

mtbr member
    SP, how did this course compare to the kamikaze enduro last year? Haven't been able to find a map or strava of 2014.

Still on the fence about doing this years after riding there this weekend. I feel comfortable on pretty much everything , but have yet to hit most of the "pro lines" due to riding solo and not wanting to push too hard. Not sure if I will make it back before this years event for any scouting of lines.
    A few of the courses were similar, but there was a lot more tech thrown in. I had not ridden any of the stuff, but did almost everything even if I did not use a lot of it in my race runs. I will post up some videos shortly if you would like.

mtbr member
    Here is a quick video of a few sections. There was a lot more going on than this, but it will give you an idea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks! Says the video is private but it may still be loading

mtbr member
    Thanks! What lift is that in the middle that you used to return to the top.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    16 out of Canyon Lodge. We did have to pedal up to lift 2 for one run as well.
    Last edited by Salespunk; 07-28-2015 at 09:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Says the video is private but it may still be loading
    Video should be fixed now!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Video should be fixed now!
    Nice! Looks fun and like I should have hit that last weekend! The drops look pretty awesome, and I am sure much bigger looking when on top of them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nice! Those drops look legit!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    16 out of Canyon Lodge. We did have to pedal up to lift 2 for one run as well.
    Yeah, it looked like there was a different lift for that one stage higher up the mountain.

+1 on those drops. Those look pretty good sized in the video and knowing how video flattens things out....... yikes. Nice job.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Signed up for the kamikaze enduro. Beginner because, hey, it's my first race. Should be fun! heck, even made my company my team 😀. Might as well go all out

mtbr member
    Signed up for the kamikaze enduro. Beginner because, hey, it's my first race. Should be fun! heck, even made my company my team 😀. Might as well go all out
    Sweet congrats!