Looking for Perspective on HBR in Pisgah- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Looking for Perspective on HBR in Pisgah

I'm doing ORAMM for the first time this year. I went to Old Fort last week and rode HBR and Kitsuma for the first time. My experience is former Cat 1 Track and Cat 2 Road (1988-1992). I started riding again and racing on the MTB in Fl. I found that I love all of it. I've ridden all of the major trails in Fl, Tsali, and DuPont. My first run in Old Fort was on a wet Kitsuma, and it took everything I had not to crash. This was a totally new experience. I quickly realized that Pisgah was big boy and girl stuff. Then I did HBR the next day top down and I realized that this was no place to make a mistake. I road very cautiously riding the brakes a lot. I did it twice more and Kitsuma in the dry. Kitsuma is actually fun dry. But HBR with the narrow trail that slides off the mountain, and the off camber kinks had me on edge still. I love that trail now and plan to go back in the fall and spend a week there. My goal,is to be a good all around rider. But, I'm wondering, for those of you who have done more of Pisgah and other places, how do rate HBR and Kitsuma compared to other places in Pisgah and also out west in terms of knarlyness and risk? Are there other trails I should ride when I go back to Pisgah for broader experience?

Formerly of Kent
    This section is for Enduro Racing.

You'll get a better response in the Endurance XC Racing forum, or XC Racing and Training forum.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks, I wasn't sure. They do a lot of enduro racing on HBR and Kitsuma from what I gather, so I thought I would ask here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Not much compares to HBR because it's soooooo fast. It's basically as fast as you feel comfortable and your brain is the limit rather than the trail really.

Shuttle it a few times and don't worry too much about it during ORAMM. Most everyone will be slow on it, and if you've got a few good runs down it, you'll be just fine.