lighter tires options for use with cushcore?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

lighter tires options for use with cushcore?

I'm switching to cushcore for both racing and every day riding, and would like to keep weight reasonable. I figure a big benefit to inserts is being able to run a lighter casing. My default is a DHF front and aggressor rear, but recently been trying e13's which i really like. any more aggressive, sticky tread, enduro/mellow DH oriented tires that come in a lighter casing?

Rides all the bikes!
    Cushcore won't prevent sidewall tears. You can just run lower pressure with a lower risk of striking the rim. I personally wouldn't downgrade tires because of Cushcore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I personally think lighter casing to accommodate for Cushcore is a false equivalency. I believed there are lighter insert options on the market that coupled with a stiffer tyre will provide a better ride and be just as durable.

That said, Schwalbe Magic Mary 27.52.6 comes in snakeskin apex casing which is a durable single ply.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Cushcore won't prevent sidewall tears. You can just run lower pressure with a lower risk of striking the rim. I personally wouldn't downgrade tires because of Cushcore.
    I agree. I've seen lots of destroyed EXO tyre and Cushcore combinations. I wouldn't downgrade casing because of cushcore either. Its added insurance, not a replacement.

mtbr member
    Each cuscore will add 250 grams. That's considerably more than the weight savings you're likely to see in a reasonable downgrade in tire weight. There are good reasons to use the inserts, I just don't think weight is one of them, and I'd echo the other's regarding sidewall strength.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    If you were using DH casing you may be able to used DD. but as stated. cushcore wont beef up the side wall. I personally run Cushcore and DD and find it to be the perfect balance of tire control and flat resistance. I don't race but enjoy not using brakes and poor line choices lol.

mtbr member
    I have torn multiple brand new DD casings without an insert even losing a race because of it. Since switching to CC I have exclusively ran EXO and have had zero issues over about two dozen enduros. The CC most definitely firms up the sidewall so it won't pinch and cut. IMO there aren't many venues that require cushcore + a DD or DH casing tire.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I've torn a sidewall with CC in the tire. Pinch flats and firmer sidewalls for sure, but it doesn't prevent against sharp rocks. Sure, probably a bad line, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
    https://youtube.com/c/jamesstoup - Check out my racing on Youtube

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I have heard super good things about CC with Agressor rear (DD) and a DHF up front. Ridden it on a couple of yetis and things like that and it was fast rolling while still having traction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by james.stoup View Post
    I've torn a sidewall with CC in the tire. Pinch flats and firmer sidewalls for sure, but it doesn't prevent against sharp rocks. Sure, probably a bad line, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
    In that case it's still possible to tear a DH casing with cushcore The only wheel that's not possible to tear is one made out of solid rubber....

Of the tires sitting in my garage-

2.5 DHF EXO's with cushcore are 1100g plus 250g cushcore

Basically the same as a true 2-ply DH casing 2.5 DHF- 1350g.

I also have a DHF EXO+ and it's 22g lighter than a regular EXO. hmmm.....

The 2.5 Assegai DD is also 1330g!
    Denver, CO