Full Face Helmet options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Full Face Helmet options

Wondering what people are using for Enduro style riding.

Personally, I'd been using a Bell Super half shell for a couple years. Fit okay, protection okay, jealous of my wife with her TLD A1 which fit like a glove by comparison and seemed to have a little bit better coverage.
    After a couple big crashes, the Super 2R came out and seemed like the logical next step. Trying it on two different times left me thinking it was the most uncomfortable helmet ever created. The half shell felt 100x different than the original Super. And the chin bar seemed all wrong.

Finally, mrs jm2e got me a MET Parachute for Christmas. I was hesitant to keep it, given the price. Gave it a try though, and it's been awesome. Fits so well. Super well ventilated. Great coverage. Not perfect, but a great option for now. Currently strapping to pack for long uphill slogs, then wearing for everything else, even techy climbing. Will still use the half shell for XC rides.

Curious to hear what others are doing for both racing and just "enduro" style days.
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    The super2/2R have a pair of hard rubber pads that the super did not have. I thought the same thing when I picked up my 2R, they are around the temple area, just peel them out and viola, the great fit of the original.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Seemed like a lot of people on the EWS just use regular DH helmets. Or, maybe super light carbon versions. But still, not really designed for ventilation or sweat management. And not really practical for non-race "enduro" days.

Curiously, there are always loads of online articles showcasing the riders bikes, but never any detail about the gear they use: helmets, pads, packs, etc.
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

Robertson
    I have a MET, love it. Use it for all races, even tame ones or in the middle of summer, as I find I go faster with it on as I feel more comfortable. I also use it for any rides that trend towards the DH side of things. No issues with heat, even in hot, humid (95 degrees, 90%+ humidity) Alabama summers as long as I'm moving.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Bell Super 2R preacher here. Love this thing. Haven't touched a MET but I suspect that's a rad helmet as well. Bummer the 2R and your head don't get along well.

I wear my 2R half shell for most riding, put the chin bar on my pack and strap on for big Pisgah descents. I plan to use it for enduro racing in 2016. I have a full blown DH helmet for lift days or DH racing.

A lot of race organizers will require you to wear a helmet during transit stages, so check that before you decide on helmet choice. e.g., if you could ride helmetless between stages, a full blown DH helmet is a bit more manageable even given it doesn't vent/breathe as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I use a standard DH full face helmet when needed and a standard half shell helmet when the course is mellower. Sometimes if the venue is allows I will switch off for different stages.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've had a few more days of riding in Pisgah with the MET Parachute. Loving this helmet! Strapping to my pack for the long access road climbs, but once I put it on I keep it on. Comfortable, well ventilated. Expensive, but glad I made the purchase.
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Do you guys think think the chin bar on the pseudo downhill helmets will stand up to me smashing my face into the ground? I ride pisgah too and will be racing the SE enduros.

Most enduros (eastern states cup) I have raced ive used my 661 DH helmet, with little complaint. I probably should have retired it 5 crashes ago. I think I'm going to go with another DH helmet because I am pretty and want to stay that way

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I think the chin bar on the Parachute is legit. That's the whole point of why they kept it fixed and how they passed the Euro testing specs.
    As far as durability goes, Moto helmets are deigned beefier. By making the Parachute light and ventilated like a bike helmet, it's definitely more of a one crash and retire it, kind of helmet. It's for enduro riding, not for lift accessed armored up big air downhill riding.

I wish there were more serious options out there.
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

Robertson
    I had a Parachute, had to retire it after a nasty whomp to a overhanging tree cracked it. I've replaced it with a Super 2R because I get a great deal on Bell stuff. I'm fine using the 2R Bell for trail/typical Enduro stuff, but plan on getting a true full face helmet for shuttle stuff. I'm also doing many of the SE Enduros this year, and will wear a true DH lid for TTC, Windrock, and Bailey. 2R for the others.