Fox US Open of Mountain Biking at Snow Summit- Mtbr.com
    Rides all the bikes!

Fox US Open of Mountain Biking at Snow Summit

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Fox-Head-...-and-more.html

Hoping we get a decent enduro course, and they modify Miracle Mile or build a new DH course. If the enduro looks good, I will be there, but I'm not getting my hopes up (at least for amateurs).

Rides all the bikes!
    Oops, found the link on the CES site. 4 stages, but not specific what trails. I'll hold off on registering until I hear what they are. I might just do it anyway since I don't think it is conflicting with anything else I have (Grizzly 100 is a couple weeks later).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    They have built a new DH course (10 Ply) opened Sat 7/20/19.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    They have built a new DH course (10 Ply) opened Sat 7/20/19.
    I heard about it this weekend from a friend of mine. I was up there for the XC race and didn't bring my long bike...since it's broken

But from his tone, it didn't sound like a DH course. He mentioned it having interesting features, I'll check it out soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Any word on what trails they will be running on this course yet? Would like to know....

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockit View Post
    Any word on what trails they will be running on this course yet? Would like to know....
    I haven't heard yet. I'm assuming the usual; Pirates, Fall Line, Plumbers, MM, and Turtle. I'll be up there riding this weekend, but mostly for fun.

I did ride 10 Ply several times now. Watched MTB Alan break his wrist...oops. I like it though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I haven't heard yet. I'm assuming the usual; Pirates, Fall Line, Plumbers, MM, and Turtle. I'll be up there riding this weekend, but mostly for fun.
    Yep I definitely donít think we will be racing 10ply just because they want to keep it as nice as possible for the dh race. We did race going green one and it was pretty hard given all the pedaling. Who know maybe they will do westridge again. That was a hoot to race on last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides all the bikes!
    I literally just got off 10 Ply. Total mess, and full of people who don't belong on a DH course.

mtbr member
    I literally just got off 10 Ply. Total mess, and full of people who don't belong on a DH course.
    Yeah every week I go up it is running worse and worse. But after racing at northstar last week, my scale for ďblown outĒ has been completely recalibrated.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by austink26 View Post
    Yeah every week I go up it is running worse and worse. But after racing at northstar last week, my scale for ďblown outĒ has been completely recalibrated.

Looks like rain right now. I'm not racing the DH (I don't think), so I'm not too worried about 10P for me. I would love a full MM, Pirates/Fall Line to the bottom (not part way, all the way), Going Green, Turtle, or something like that. Something more substantial than 10 minutes worth of racing.

That's why I don't normally race Enduro, too short and not enough pedaling. So I race XC, just do big enduro days on my own

Rides all the bikes!
    Signed up. Hope I don't regret it...

mtbr member
    Sweet. I am hoping it is a good race. With the exception of ensenada, all of the ces races this year have been really good. I am just glad it is finally a race that isnít super far away for us in so cal.

mtbr member
    Sweet. I am hoping it is a good race. With the exception of ensenada, all of the ces races this year have been really good. I am just glad it is finally a race that isnít super far away for us in so cal.

Robertson
    I heard from others that they liked the Ensenada race? What was bad about it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    I heard from others that they liked the Ensenada race? What was bad about it?
    We got on the bus at 8 am, didnít actually have a driver until 9. While driving through town with all of our bikes on the back of a flatbed trailer, almost every bike took damage. Mine wore multiple places on the frame down to the carbon and many people got scratched stanchions. After the first stage we waited another 30 min for the bus to pick us up again. The 30 minute transfer was more like 90 min and they put out like 15 gallons of water for a couple hundred riders. By the time my bus group got there it was all gone.

As I was going down the third stage a local was in my way jumping up and down. As I rounded the corner I realized he was warning me of the trash fire that was quickly overtaking the trail. The flames jumped the trail two riders behind me and the whole stage was cancelled. The transfer to stage 4 had us hiking/riding right next to the fire again.

Add to all of that the fact that practicing required having a dedicated shuttle driver and even with that you had to follow the organizer or some other local because it was damn near impossible to find the stages if you werenít a local.

Outside of the fire, I didnít have an issue with the actual stages, but they sent everyone down what was supposed to be a pro only stage because they didnít finish building the other stages on time. I didnít have too much issue, it was definitely scary at points, but I know some people tried petitioning to have it cancelled for some groups and some people straight up walked the whole top half and took like a 30 min stage time. For a stage that gnarly, there were not course marshals at the most dangerous stuff and there was just a single ambulance at the bottom. If you crashed at the top(which was the most dangerous part), it would have been at least a 20 min hike down as there was zero escape routes.

Everyone In my bus all had the same attitude that it was a once in a lifetime race and they wouldnít go back.

Robertson
    Ouch! Glad I missed it then!

mtbr member

I like the sound of mostly lift transfers, but 4 off mountain trails is kind of a bummer. One of my favorite things about the summit races is how bike park-y they usually are.

Rides all the bikes!
    Regretting my entry.

Rides all the bikes!
    Course Description
    Transfer to Stage 1 Ė Lift to top of Pirates
    Stage 1 Ė Pirates

Transfer to Stage 2 Ė Pedal from finish of Pirates to start of Plumbers
    Stage 2 Ė Plumbers

Transfer to Stage 3 Ė Pedal from finish of Plumbers to start of Fall Line Ė 2 miles, 650′ elevation gain
    Stage 3 Ė Fall Line

Transfer to Stage 4 Ė Pedal back to Snow Summit Village Ė Lift to top Ė pedal down Going Green to Dickies
    Stage 4 Ė Dickies

Transfer to Stage 5 Ė Pedal down Coyote from end of Dickies to Snow Summit Ė Lift to Miracle Mile
    Stage 5 Ė Miracle Mile
    Considering either selling my entry, or just pedaling the climbs. This is just silly.

mtbr member
    Considering either selling my entry, or just pedaling the climbs. This is just silly.
    Based on my experience at the northstar ews, they are probably doing all the lifting to keep things moving. By eliminating the bottle neck of everyone chilling on the transfer, the day can go by way faster. With so many events going on, they probably want to stick to a schedule.

Iím really disappointed we arenít racing turtle. It is such a blast at race speed. For having a season pass for years, I still never ride the off mountain stuff so I will definitely need practice on those on friday.

mtbr member
    Also the cut off for transfers was last night...

Rides all the bikes!
    This is my first year with a season pass. Fun, but I won't do it again. I found myself over the past couple of weekends not using the lift for the first hour or two and just pedaling up some climbs. Going up Fern/Skyline/etc and down something else. Then hit the park. Next year I will just pay on the days I want to lift, pedal up the other days. And I feel like I need to go every weekend to get my money's worth, when there are so many places in SoCal I want to ride.

I just mapped it out. 20 miles and 3000' of climbing parking lot to parking lot. I will leave my lift pass in the car.

mtbr member
    One of the perks that isnít usually advertised is that when you go to reg, since you have a season pass, they will refund you like $50. They have done it before so hopefully they do it again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Rides all the bikes!
    One of the perks that isnít usually advertised is that when you go to reg, since you have a season pass, they will refund you like $50. They have done it before so hopefully they do it again.

I'll have to ask about that. That would make the $120 for 18 miles not so painful if it is closer to $70...

Yep, gotta get my lady friend a couple for this weekend.

mtbr member
    Yeah just make sure you mention it at the reg table. Last year they just cut me a check for $50 on the spot.

Rides all the bikes!
    Climbing up to 3 now. Black coil sprung Enduro. Yellow shirt, black shorts. Orange lid.

mtbr member
    That was a real let down for trail choices as well as not refunding the lift tickets for season pass holders. Some dude didnít let me pass on miracle for like 30 seconds of me yelling at him. I would have been top 5 vs 10th had I bot had to ride the brakes so long. Idk why they even included dickies.

Rides all the bikes!
    I only had one pass, and he got out of my way without me even asking. Had 35 miles when I finished. I'm lifting right now for fun runs. Came in 10/24 Expert Men. Not great, but I'm okay with it.

Dickies was a waste of time. Should have done Going Green or ANYTHING else. I did that in 1:20 with a totally blind run after climbing to the top.

mtbr member
    Today was a day for xc racers. Felt over biked for 4/5 stages. Even miracle has been smoothed out enough for a 130 bike to be enough.

Rides all the bikes!
    Ended up with 50 miles and 5000' for the day. Proper day for me. Definitely not an Enduro racer person though, I'll limit how many races I do in the future. But other than Dickies, the trails were fun.

I only ride the one mountain bike, outside of XC racing.

Robertson
    Smh with dickies...they could have used so many other trails over that way, with just a bit more pedal, that would have been way better. Is Snow Summit just hesistant to use any trails they don't own?

mtbr member
    Imo to put on a great race they need to be willing to close the park to the public for the day. Making us ride all the off mountain stuff so they donít have to close westridge/turtle to the public for a few hours is a joke. The last few years we only got to race those because it was either after the lifts were done or before they started. For such a high profile event, they really dropped the ball when choosing trails.

Robertson
    I keep saying they should use Seven Oaks for an enduro stage. Everytime I ride that trail I think how sick it would be to race. Then the climb back up would actually test fitness and balance out all the lifts!

Rides all the bikes!
    I keep saying they should use Seven Oaks for an enduro stage. Everytime I ride that trail I think how sick it would be to race. Then the climb back up would actually test fitness and balance out all the lifts!
    It would absolutely destroy the trail from the wear and tear. But I would be up for it otherwise. I definitely don't like all the lifting. I would love to hit 10-Ply, MM, Turtle, Westride, and Going Green without ever having to lift. But, that will never happen

mtbr member
    Smh with dickies...they could have used so many other trails over that way, with just a bit more pedal, that would have been way better. Is Snow Summit just hesistant to use any trails they don't own?
    Rode something called Snow Fall (?) the next day over on that side. Would have been a way better stage than Dickies.

Some dude didnít let me pass on miracle for like 30 seconds of me yelling at him. I would have been top 5 vs 10th had I bot had to ride the brakes so long.
    You're embarrassing yourself. Literally everyone has an "if only x went differently" story on race day that would have been the difference between midpack and glory. Just stop.

Today was a day for xc racers. Felt over biked for 4/5 stages. Even miracle has been smoothed out enough for a 130 bike to be enough.
    Agree on this one. I rode a 120 bike and it turned out to be a very good choice.

Imo to put on a great race they need to be willing to close the park to the public for the day. Making us ride all the off mountain stuff so they donít have to close westridge/turtle to the public for a few hours is a joke. The last few years we only got to race those because it was either after the lifts were done or before they started. For such a high profile event, they really dropped the ball when choosing trails.
    Turtle sucks. It's braking bump hell and is not fun to race. The problem with running Westy is that it's hard to run that trail fast because even scrubbing the jumps you're landing like every one of them to flat. Still would have been better than Dickies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    You're embarrassing yourself. Literally everyone has an "if only x went differently" story on race day that would have been the difference between midpack and glory. Just stop.
    Idk how that is embarrassing. If you have ever caught someone in front of you and been held up from them not following the rules and then lose out on a few positions due to really close splits, it is really frustrating. The dude knew he messed up and sought me out later and apologized. 5th place really isnít glory either so idk why you think I am making excuses to try and seem like I am faster than I am.

Braking bumps of not, at least turtle is downhill. Everyone I was racing with agreed that they would rather race turtle than pirates.

mtbr member
    Idk how that is embarrassing. If you have ever caught someone in front of you and been held up from them not following the rules and then lose out on a few positions due to really close splits, it is really frustrating. The dude knew he messed up and sought me out later and apologized. 5th place really isnít glory either so idk why you think I am making excuses to try and seem like I am faster than I am.

Braking bumps of not, at least turtle is downhill. Everyone I was racing with agreed that they would rather race turtle than pirates.

Oh believe me, Iíve been there before. But stupid crap happens like that every race. You pick the wrong guy to get behind, or you go down Turtle halfway down your Miracle race run, or you have one dumb crash that costs you 40 seconds, or the course isnít taped the way it was in practice, or a random flat... point is that itís part of racing and itís dumb to complain about, especially on a public forum (the embarrassing part). Take your lumps, figure out how to be consistent, play the game, and improve. Racing results arenít completely about being a fast rider, itís also about being a good racer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Oh believe me, Iíve been there before. But stupid crap happens like that every race. You pick the wrong guy to get behind, or you go down Turtle halfway down your Miracle race run, or you have one dumb crash that costs you 40 seconds, or the course isnít taped the way it was in practice, or a random flat... point is that itís part of racing and itís dumb to complain about, especially on a public forum (the embarrassing part). Take your lumps, figure out how to be consistent, play the game, and improve. Racing results arenít completely about being a fast rider, itís also about being a good racer.
    I totally understand crap happens and it is part of racing. I still donít see how talking about how a race went in a thread specifically about said race, to an audience who most likely also raced is any bit embarrassing. Especially if I am saying I am not embarrassed to do so. Whatever though, this is the internet and everyone has an opinion. Good luck in your future races.

mtbr member
    I totally understand crap happens and it is part of racing. I still donít see how talking about how a race went in a thread specifically about said race, to an audience who most likely also raced is any bit embarrassing. Especially if I am saying I am not embarrassed to do so. Whatever though, this is the internet and everyone has an opinion. Good luck in your future races.

Nothing wrong with talking about how the race went but it does a disservice to the riders ahead of you to say you would have placed higher if something would have gone different. You have no idea how their day went and what they dealt with on their way to their time and placement.

Rides all the bikes!
    Funny you guys call it an "XC" course. I just spent three days riding Mammoth and didn't use up all my travel on my Enduro. The only Pro Line I didn't run was Velociraptor, which I didn't want to subject my friends to. I hit every feature that was an option (that I can think my, my first time there).

So saying a course is for "XC" racers just because you didn't use all your travel seem like a cop out too. Even DH racing requires you to pedal the bike, enduro bikes are designed to be pedaled.

Don't get my wrong, I would love to have 10-Ply on that course. Or to go back to Mammoth and have DC10, Bullet, and Chainsmoke on a course. But I still ran all those (blind, no pre walk) without using my full travel.

mtbr member
    Funny you guys call it an "XC" course. I just spent three days riding Mammoth and didn't use up all my travel on my Enduro.

So saying a course is for "XC" racers just because you didn't use all your travel seem like a cop out too. Even DH racing requires you to pedal the bike, enduro bikes are designed to be pedaled.
    I have similar experiences at mammoth. The only time I ever really eat through travel is hitting the flow drop with speed and landing deep.

My take isnít it is a course for xc riders because it didnít require big travel, but because of just how pedal heavy the stages were and how little descending was done on some of them. Shasta didnít eat up much travel either but it was primarily downhill. There was pedaling for sure but it was pedaling downhill stuff.

What is funny is that when they last had xc nats at mammoth, they sent us down shotgun in full lycra and on xc bikes. Doing that was way gnarlier than pirates.

mtbr member
    Funny you guys call it an "XC" course. I just spent three days riding Mammoth and didn't use up all my travel on my Enduro. The only Pro Line I didn't run was Velociraptor, which I didn't want to subject my friends to. I hit every feature that was an option (that I can think my, my first time there).

Don't get my wrong, I would love to have 10-Ply on that course. Or to go back to Mammoth and have DC10, Bullet, and Chainsmoke on a course. But I still ran all those (blind, no pre walk) without using my full travel.
    I donít disagree with the premise that travel used doesnít necessarily indicate the type of riding youíre doing but a couple of stages were most definitely XC.

Dickies was 2/3 climbing, 1/3 descending.
    Pirates is literally labeled XC by Summit.
    I actually didnít mind Plumbers.
    Fall Line and Miracle are just fine as Enduro stages.

Chainsmoke has about 3 gnarly features and I donít think is super gnar on the whole, but I dont know how youíre not bottoming out on the 3rd rock roll to pavers or out of the wall ride after the double black section on Velocity. Those shits are harsh compressions.